PDA

View Full Version : Hogmanay

Fran
20-Nov-05, 04:19
where does everyone go on new years eve?
i go to the square now and join in with the fun there and usually end up ill in bed with the cold, or in hospital as I did last year.
no one seems to go round first footing now, I miss that. the last few years I got a lot of booze and food in and no one came. my cat was my first footer!!!!

Chillie
20-Nov-05, 04:26
Same here, lot of food,drink and money, hardly seen anybody i think the street party kills it all.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Nov-05, 04:27
Hogmanay used to be such a big event in years gone by, Its not the same any more. Probally because fowk can have a big bash any time they want these days. Oh yeh and christmas leaves everyone skint and run down so they are not up to first footing any more. It is a shame I have some great memories of Hogmanay from the past

girnigoe
20-Nov-05, 12:39
It seems to be that a lot of people have organised parties now. Most people set off to go to it and dont go anywhere else on the way. In days gone past you just used to stay for one or two drinks before setting off to somewhere else. Its a great shame!! I too miss those days!!

dragonfly
20-Nov-05, 13:56
In days gone past you just used to stay for one or two drinks before setting off to somewhere else. Its a great shame!! I too miss those days!!

and it always used to start snowing just after the bells! great memories as a child setting off with my parents and visiting houses all over Thurso and having snowball fights with other kids while the adults got smashed, best part was getting home and my mother being too pi$$ed to get upstairs and only way to get her up was to throw her packet of fags up in front of her :D

smith2585
20-Nov-05, 14:07
we still go first footing
have done for years n aint gunna change that

krieve
20-Nov-05, 15:28
My parents always used to take me and my brother with them with them for as far back as i can remember. We used to go round to lots of peoples houses what a laugh it was then. We would'nt get home to about 7 in the morning then go to bed for a few hours sleep and go back out again for a few hours to the houses they did'nt get to on Hogmanay .When we got back home there would always be people that would visit us that night that was the good old days.

Sporran
21-Nov-05, 03:55
That sounds just like the Hogmanays we used to have when I was growing up in Thurso, krieve, in the 60s and 70s. Aye, those were the days! :)

Hogmanay was really tough for me for several years after we first left Scotland, for across the Big Pond. I would always get really homesick on Hogmanay, and the sound of bagpipes was enough to set me off in tears! :(

Glad to hear you still go first footing, smith2585! Keep up the good work! :D

gleeber
21-Nov-05, 08:04
Another reason, I believe, for the demise of the old fashioned Hogmanay is the popularity of Christmas. Christmas day was a normal working day when I first started working and its no that long ago either. We had 3 days at New Year and that was it.
One of the best Hogmanays Ive had in a long time was the millenium celebrations at the fountain.
Christmas for the family Hogmanay for the community. Wick has the market cornered.

Dons_Lad
21-Nov-05, 14:43
Not a clue where I'm going this year, I usually went to the Market Square and got the bells there, but the Dons are playing Caley that day, so god knows what I'll end up doing when we get back into the town.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-05, 14:59
Gatecrashing the Lord Provost's party in the Overseas League House in Embra', as per usual.

dragonfly
21-Nov-05, 15:03
One of the best Hogmanays Ive had in a long time was the millenium celebrations at the fountain.

one of my biggest regrets was taking the greedy option to work that night - really missed not being with the rest of my family and when they speak about it now, wish I could turn back the clock :(

Jeid
21-Nov-05, 15:04
Anyone else think that New Year is totally over rated?

dragonfly
21-Nov-05, 15:25
Anyone else think that New Year is totally over rated?

maybe now, but not a couple of decades ago, it was a time when everyone got together to celebrate as friends, even if it was people you hadn't seen since the last New Year, you were safe to walk around without fear of being mugged for your bottle, only fear you had was of falling and breaking it! but maybe its as Gleeber said, Xmas was worked then so New Year meant so much more, when we first moved up in the 60's hardly anyone had an Xmas tree or decorations, it was an "English holiday" and the locals celebrated at New Year.

golach
21-Nov-05, 15:29
Another reason, I believe, for the demise of the old fashioned Hogmanay is the popularity of Christmas. Christmas day was a normal working day when I first started working and its no that long ago either. We had 3 days at New Year and that was it.
Christmas for the family Hogmanay for the community. Wick has the market cornered.

Very true Gleeber, I enjoyed and looked forward to Hogmanay when I was a lot younger. The parties could last for days and often did.

smith2585
21-Nov-05, 22:14
Glad to hear you still go first footing, smith2585! Keep up the good work! :D

will always done the same thing for years and intent to for years t come