PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Version

Colin Manson
01-May-08, 02:57
Hi,

I've upgraded the forum to the latest version, Flashchat has also been upgraded. I thought that you might find it useful to find out about the new features.

You can read about the new version - here (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460)

I haven't enabled all the new features and some that are enabled may need to be reviewed if they affect the already poor server performance.

If you have any views on what should/shouldn't be enabled then drop me a PM and I'll review the situation.

Cheers
Colin.

Metalattakk
01-May-08, 04:01
Thought you'd resigned some time ago? ;)

Welcome back and all that. I do trust you'll inform us (this time) of any 'controversial' changes to the board?

Anyway, looks like there are quite a few new enhancements to the messageboard, and some of them could well be interesting indeed.

The 'User-Created Social Groups' feature could put a stop to all the "What shall I have for Tea?" type threads on here. Saves them all going off to create a Yahoo group, y'know? Mind you, the upgrade to FlashChat might entice them to go there instead... \o/

However one is hopeful, yet certainly not expectant.

I like the idea of creating your own profile page too. I can't wait to see how mucked-up people can make theirs. ;)

Kenn
01-May-08, 10:19
Bit cynical there Metalattakk!

Thank you Colin for posting the link, will have to put the thinking hat on now when I can find it!

Colin Manson
01-May-08, 10:26
I did post this at the time, I guess you missed it...

I know how much work is involved and how busy the good folks are so I'll continue to upgrade the forum and chat room when required.

I am only involved in the technical side of the forum now, user account admin and forum upgrades.

The forum is a 'vanilla' install with the 2 additional plug-ins for Flashchat integration and access to admin the flashchat settings.

I haven't switched on the profile editing features, I don't really want to for the reason you've mentioned.

canuck
01-May-08, 11:56
Thanks Colin.

Unfortunately I got lost when Kier started posting about spam protection. However, I could support a Pizza Fan Club.

On a serious note, I did not feel comfortable with several of the profile options, especially the one which showed who had visited the profile page.

Colin Manson
01-May-08, 12:21
On a serious note, I did not feel comfortable with several of the profile options, especially the one which showed who had visited the profile page.

I think I've switched off visitor tracking on the profile page, what other options are making you feel uncomfortable?

helenwyler
01-May-08, 12:46
I think I've switched off visitor tracking on the profile page, what other options are making you feel uncomfortable?

Colin, does what you say here mean you've switched off this:

Reciprocal Friendships Between Users

As part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users.

This would make me uncomfortable:eek:.

karia
01-May-08, 12:58
Colin, does what you say here mean you've switched off this:

Reciprocal Friendships Between Users

As part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users.

This would make me uncomfortable:eek:.

I agree totally Helen!

Here are some of the first concerns that occur to me.

What if someone has no mates...how are they gonna feel? Are the gonna have to beg around for folks to stand up as their friends.

What if you fall out with someone and remove them..shouldn't that be a private matter?:eek:

I know who my mates are and anyone with an ounce of sense can work out who I get on with and who I don't so why would I want a published 'list' of my friends.....I don't have one in 'real life':confused

Colin Manson
01-May-08, 12:58
I've switched off the viewing of a users friends list in the profile page.

No confirmation can be requested and your friends will only appear in your profile page.

helenwyler
01-May-08, 13:00
I've switched off the viewing of a users friends list in the profile page.

No confirmation can be requested and your friends will only appear in your profile page.

Thank you Colin!

TBH
01-May-08, 13:01
why would I want a published 'list' of my friends.....I don't have one in 'real life':confusedI am sure you have got a friend in real life.;)

karia
01-May-08, 13:08
I am sure you have got a friend in real life.;)

Sparkling form today TBH!:D

unicorn
01-May-08, 14:51
I assume this is part of the new forum thing that you have to wait 30 secons between searches IE clicking new posts, Gordon Bennett it was annoying enough waiting 2 minutes between posts :roll:

MadPict
01-May-08, 15:03
30 seconds may be the default setting - with the upgrade if a custom time had been set then it may have been reset to 30secs?

The reason to restrict this might be to reduce the load on the server having to pull up search results?

unicorn
01-May-08, 15:06
ah ok it is just a habit anyway and now I keep clicking calendar :roll:

Tighsonas4
01-May-08, 21:57
hi this morning i had a message came in from sydneybut not as a pm
read it and that was it gone
how it came in or where it went i have no idea HOW COME tony???

Colin Manson
01-May-08, 22:03
It's on your profile page, it's called Public Messaging rather than Private Messaging.

If you go to your User CP the link is down near the bottom left.

Or go to Quick Links > Your Profile.

canuck
02-May-08, 08:23
FlashChat is causing me problems.

The Caithness.Org heading (the blue/green/orange bar at the top of the page) is now appearing on the FlashChat page. It means that the whole page does not fit on the computer screen. So the box where the message is typed is off the bottom of the page or conversely when typing in the box, the messages and the list of who is in the room are off the top of the screen.

Another orger had the same problem last night. She uses windows xp and I use Vista, so that is not the source of the problem.

Venture
02-May-08, 08:31

The Caithness.Org heading (the blue/green/orange bar at the top of the page) is now appearing on the FlashChat page. It means that the whole page does not fit on the computer screen. So the box where the message is typed is off the bottom of the page or conversely when typing in the box, the messages and the list of who is in the room are off the top of the screen.

Another orger had the same problem last night. She uses windows xp and I use Vista, so that is not the source of the problem.

I too have vista but didn't find a problem when I tried Flaschat Page. The org heading is at the top of mine too but dosent affect the rest of the page.

Bobinovich
02-May-08, 09:25

It may be to do with your screen resolution - anyone on lower settings (or more likely those with widescreen displays which have a lower vertical pixel count) may have to scroll down to type a message, then back up to see who's on and what else is being said.

Changing to a higher resolution may be an option, or going back to having the Flashchat open a separate window without the Org header.

canuck
02-May-08, 09:40
Thanks Bobinovich.

Moving the right hand margin over a bit to make narrower the area where the users are listed, seems to have helped. And FlashChat remembered my new settings.

How does one remove the CCWS logo from top of the page in FlashChat?

canuck
02-May-08, 09:45
Next question:

I don't see the inbox total anywhere. Do we still have a 50 message limit in the Private Message box? And if so, where do we find the total we have in there?

I found it! Under User CP click on Private Messages and the whole file comes up, including the number of messages in the file.

It looks like 50 is still the PM limit. But a warning of appears is it reaches 90% full.

TBH
02-May-08, 11:19
How does one remove the CCWS logo from top of the page in FlashChat?Turn off javascript in your browser.

Tighsonas4
02-May-08, 13:04
It's on your profile page, it's called Public Messaging rather than Private Messaging.

If you go to your User CP the link is down near the bottom left.

Or go to Quick Links > Your Profile.
a belated thank you .have found lost message regards tony

Colin Manson
02-May-08, 14:31
The chatroom has been integrated into the forum style, I can change the default height (currently set at 600 pixels) but I think that is probably the best setting for most users.

If the majority can't adapt to the new system I might consider reverting it back to a detached chatroom but for various server issues I'd prefer to leave it as it is.

Tighsonas4
02-May-08, 17:34
hi have made 5 attempts to log into the site and am only getting
invalaid password tony

Anne x
02-May-08, 18:12
Hi
I had that twice today trying to log in but perservered and eventually got in
came up invalid
Anne

Venture
02-May-08, 18:20
Can I be really stupid and ask what is the bit at the bottom of the page with Tags on it for. What are Tags?

Tighsonas4
02-May-08, 19:58
thats twice ive used up the 5 attempts and still cant get in tony

Bobinovich
02-May-08, 21:26
Sorry if this seems a little dense Tighsonas, but the fact that you've posted twice means you have been getting in - albeit maybe after a number of attempts :confused

karia
02-May-08, 21:31
Sorry if this seems a little dense Tighsonas, but the fact that you've posted twice means you have been getting in - albeit maybe after a number of attempts :confused

I read it as he had to use all five attempts allowed on 2 separate occasions and failed to log in.

That he subsequently succeeded still means 10 worthless attempts which must be annoying for anyone.

I am sure these things are on the ironing board having their kinks smoothed.;)

Tighsonas4
02-May-08, 21:54
LOGGING IN
its not this site i cant get into its this new 7 something tony

karia
02-May-08, 22:20
LOGGING IN
its not this site i cant get into its this new 7 something tony

Sorry mate..yev lost me there!:confused

Tighsonas4
03-May-08, 03:21
it would seem to me that im not making myself clear?
in colins first post it says clich HERE to see what this is all about and its there i cant get logged in
openly admit to being a bit dense probably having seen 84 springs
regards tony

Venture
03-May-08, 11:19
it would seem to me that im not making myself clear?
in colins first post it says clich HERE to see what this is all about and its there i cant get logged in
openly admit to being a bit dense probably having seen 84 springs
regards tony

Ah Tony don't be bringing yourself down. You're not dense. You're an orger at 84 and doing superb. I haven't seen as many springs as you and I too have problems when it comes to the technical side of things. Just you keep posting your problems and Im sure they'll get sorted out eventually.;)

Colin Manson
03-May-08, 12:17
Tony,

I can understand your confusion, the forum that I linked to belongs to the creators of this forum software.

They of course use their forum software on their site so the pages looked exactly like this one.

Your account is only useful to you on Caithness.org, it gives you access to the forum and the chat room here. There are thousands of other website all using this forum software, many will look very similar to this one but they all keep separate user databases.

Cheers
Colin

Tighsonas4
03-May-08, 13:40
THANKS
a big thank you to colin and also to all the others who have sent me pms
much appreciated regards to all tony

golach
03-May-08, 19:32
THANKS
a big thank you to colin and also to all the others who have sent me pms
much appreciated regards to all tony
Glad you solved your problem , and ty for the pm

unicorn
04-May-08, 10:29
so can anyone start a group?

silverfox57
04-May-08, 13:07
so can anyone start a group?
unicorn is there a new group if so, want is group about,and can anyone join,?

unicorn
04-May-08, 17:18
If you go in user cp it has social groups, I think it is just a space where you can talk about topics and it wont clutter up the main board. I started one for CRFA.

laguna2
06-May-08, 08:09
Is it just me - am I doing something wrong? I used to be able to toggle between flash chat and the board without any problem but since the new version has been installed flash chat logs me out when I want to return to the board for a quick look see!

laguna2
07-May-08, 08:18
problem solved

canuck
07-May-08, 08:22
Is it just me - am I doing something wrong? I used to be able to toggle between flash chat and the board without any problem but since the new version has been installed flash chat logs me out when I want to return to the board for a quick look see!

problem solved

laguna2, what did you do? I have the same problem, but have not solved it.

laguna2
07-May-08, 08:26
opened another tab is windows explorer and hey presto it works!

Colin Manson
07-May-08, 09:26
Then idea behind integrating the chat room is to prevent wasted bandwidth and server load.

If people are in the chat room they are using a database connection and loading a page every 5 seconds. If those people are reading posts on the forum then they don't need to be logged into the chat.

The server seems to be crashing more often now, the number of active member is constantly rising and I may have to drop the chat room in order to stabilise the forum.

Solus
07-May-08, 09:58
Drop the chat room :eek::confused

wifie
07-May-08, 10:29
Noooooooooooooooooo!

Bobinovich
07-May-08, 10:49
Noooooooooooooooo too! Not sure what benefit the Visitor message system is tho' - I personally can't think of any purpose for it (maybe someone else can tho') and it is causing some confusion.

laguna2
07-May-08, 17:10
Then idea behind integrating the chat room is to prevent wasted bandwidth and server load.

If people are in the chat room they are using a database connection and loading a page every 5 seconds. If those people are reading posts on the forum then they don't need to be logged into the chat.

The server seems to be crashing more often now, the number of active member is constantly rising and I may have to drop the chat room in order to stabilise the forum.

Sorry, had I realised that doing this was causing problems I would not have done it. In future if I am in chat I will not read posts at the same time as I really don't want to lose the chatroom.

karia
07-May-08, 17:44
Not sure what benefit the Visitor message system is tho' - I personally can't think of any purpose for it (maybe someone else can tho') and it is causing some confusion.

Agree with you there Bobinovich!

Can't see the benefits and it's only a matter of time before someone presses the wrong button and sends what they thought was a PM out into the public domain.:(

Lolabelle
08-May-08, 08:24

Well I like to do both, sorry. :eek: