PDA

View Full Version : Internet Scam Warning from AOL GRR

JamesMcVean
30-Apr-08, 08:23
Folks...Here is a Warning...I recieved this email - Entitled - Update Your Account - From (so it seemed) AOL...IT IS A FAKE and is a form of internet scamming called Phishing...where they pretend to be someone else and try and get your account and Creditcard details....PLEASE BEWARE...I also get this sort of criminal activity through Paypal and Ebay...but delete EVERYTHING...It makes me wonder just how many folks who are not so computer savvy fall for this sort of thing....See for yourself --

Welcome to AOL Customer Support

Dear AOL Member

Contact Ushttp://www.salesrep.com/images/Site/lady_Left.jpgHave a question regarding your AOL account?

Contact us now!

Call us at 1-888-265-8005It has come to our attention that your AOL Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information. Failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records within 24 hours. Once you have updated your account records, your AOL session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems. You must click the link below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records..
Thank You

This makes me so MAD

James

MadPict
30-Apr-08, 10:21
You might want to remove the LIVE "Click Here To Update Your Account" link to the scammers site....

Metalattakk
30-Apr-08, 10:50
Good point MadPict. It's one of the unwritten rules of the electrical interwebnet:

If there is a link, someone will click on it even if the link says get your spyware here (http://www.get-your-spyware-here.com)!

It's a bit like telling a bairn not to touch the cooker hob because it's "burny". They'll damn well not believe you until they find out for themselves. :D

As for the phishing emails - any company that wants you to update details - by email and not through the written post - is trying to scam you, no matter how genuine the email may seem.

joxville
30-Apr-08, 11:21
The clue that it is a scam is usually in how you are addressed. One I get quite often claiming to be from Paypal and wanting me to update my billing info begins: Dear 'your email address'. Genuine Paypal emails always address you by your Chistian name.

Flair
30-Apr-08, 12:42
That's alright. I don't bother with those kind of updates even when they're genuine.

SunsetSong
30-Apr-08, 14:09
Getting to be more and more on the increase though...I've seen the Paypal and Ebay ones and they can look very genuine.

Yesterday on checking my email had 26 messages coming through....thought who on earth?? Only to discover there were 24 identical messages all purporting to be from the Abby National, every one a phishing scam.

MGB1979
30-Apr-08, 14:20
I clicked that link in your post and now I have been scammed!:~(

MadPict
30-Apr-08, 15:02
Did you touch the cooker when told not to as well?......

JamesMcVean
30-Apr-08, 21:52
LOL

I deliberately clicked on it and left heaps of abuse

Grrrr

joxville
01-May-08, 10:32
The clue that it is a scam is usually in how you are addressed. One I get quite often claiming to be from Paypal and wanting me to update my billing info begins: Dear 'your email address'. Genuine Paypal emails always address you by your Chistian name.

After leaving this post Yesterday I reCeived yet another dodgyemail this time seemingly from LloydsTSB the speling in wos teribil andd theyre wisnt eny punkshooayshun

balto
01-May-08, 11:45
i recieved one the other day that was ment to have been from the RBS telling me that i needed to reactivated my online banking account through the email, i sent this straight to the spam bin, not before i sent a copy to RBS

kriklah
01-May-08, 13:45
anyone else seen this one? makes you wonder how daft they think we are!

Barrister Kwame Koffi. (Esq)
Notary public& Solicitors.
Spetex Plaza. P.O. Box 11257.
Accra Ghana.

Dear Sir,

I am Barrister Kwame Koffi(Esq.)the Personal Attorney to Mr.David Hoskins, who was the director of Ports,Tema oil refinery.On the 25th of March,2005 by 1:30 pm,there was an inferno at the Tema oil refinery which burnt the workers at Tema oil refinery on duty at the time.

See:http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Fire_in_Tema,_Ghana_threatening_oil_refinery (http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Fire_in_Tema,_Ghana_threatening_oil_refinery)

Before the fire fighters came with other security agencies to bring the raging fire under control the body of the entire workers were already burnt.Since then I have made several efforts to locate any of my clients extended relatives,this has proved unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful search,a finance house where he had made some deposit particularly, Global Trust Security & Finance company here in Accra Ghana West Africa,where the deceased had a deposit value of $13.8 million dollars has contacted me to present someone to stand and release this fund.

All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us seeing this deal through.I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of law. You have to assure me of your honesty and sincerity.

Regards,
Barrister Kwame Koffi(Esq.)

----------------------

i also had an email from "Halifax online banking" telling me my details needed updated. bells rang pretty quick since i dont hold a Halifax account!!!:eek:

SunsetSong
01-May-08, 14:12
I got this one today.....concerned me cos it looks more like one someone would fall for....I don't even have a Royal Bank Account though! But people out there as well as getting more daft...like the one above...are also getting smarter!

Dear Royal Bank of Scotland Banking Member,

Due to the high number of fraud attempts and phishing scams, it has been decided to implement EV
SSL Certification on this Internet Banking website.

The use of EV SSL certification works with high security Web browsers to clearly identify whether
the site belongs to the company or is another site imitating that company's site.

It has been introduced to protect our clients against phishing and other online fraudulent activities.
Since most Internet related crimes rely on false identity, Royal bank of Scotland went through a rigorous validation
process that meets the Extended Validation guidelines.

Please update your personal account to the new EV SSL certification by