PDA

View Full Version : How Long Did You Lurk?

karia
28-Apr-08, 19:11
Just curious to see how long it took between you becoming aware of the.Org and taking the leap to join.:)

I 'observed' for around 6 months before being brave enough to take the plunge...how about you?

the_count
28-Apr-08, 19:18
found it and joined the same day lol it was the only place i could find up to date birding info on caithness.org :lol:

shazzap
28-Apr-08, 19:21
I joined same day too

golach
28-Apr-08, 19:23
I joined the first day also, I was never much of a lurker, [lol]

silverfox57
28-Apr-08, 19:29
I joined the first day also, I was never much of a lurker, [lol]
more of a guest than a lucker for a good few years before I joined ,:lol:

Angela
28-Apr-08, 19:52
I stumbled on the Org when I started researching my family history and took the plunge the same day, no lurking involved at all! ;)

ciderally
28-Apr-08, 19:53
a few years i think...used to come on and search the pages..posted an odd one like when the dog went missing...but glad i came in from the cold now ...
and thanks folks for making me feel at home...xx

percy toboggan
28-Apr-08, 19:53
several seconds...
it took me that long to compose my first post.
What's to worry about for goodness sake?

Tighsonas4
28-Apr-08, 19:55
only joined to sell two cars to be honest. they were gone before i got organised and have been ever since.i did lurk for some time as i didnt know if i could keep my mouth shut but here am i [lol]regards tony

karia
28-Apr-08, 20:11
I can see that some of you are upset by the term 'lurker'...not what I'd have chosen to describe 'getting a feel for the place'..nonetheless the term is universally used for internet forum guests.:(

Glad that some of you felt instantly 'at home' here and joined within seconds.

I was new to all this internet stuff... and a bit cautious.

Best move I ever made!:)

golach
28-Apr-08, 20:17
Glad that some of you felt instantly 'at home' here and joined within seconds.
Being born in Caithness, made me feel at home right away, so no hesitation, and as a result I have met physically and cybernetically many nice .Orgers, and I have found blood relatives and cyber relatives here too [lol]

karia
28-Apr-08, 20:23
Being born in Caithness, made me feel at home right away, so no hesitation, and as a result I have met physically and cybernetically many nice .Orgers, and I have found blood relatives and cyber relatives here too [lol]

Which is exactly why I am so happy to have joined - the way so many orgers have taken the trouble to make me feel right at home and the wonderful friends I have found here.

Wish I hadn't waited six months......just jumped on in!:D

honey
28-Apr-08, 20:29
i posted the same day i registered, i stayed around for a wee while, but then i fell away (materinty leave and all that) took me a while to get round to logging back on, but im glad i did!:)

Rie
28-Apr-08, 20:35
Jumped in straight away with both feet and i love it!!

horseman
28-Apr-08, 20:41
I guested dipped in now an again oh all right-lurked for years--;)

karia
28-Apr-08, 20:49
I guested dipped in now an again oh all right-lurked for years--;)

Ye were well worth the wait ma friend!:)

silverfox57
28-Apr-08, 21:00
karia just looked at numbers 86 guests 45 members , come on in guests and get you say on the org ,

karia
28-Apr-08, 21:11
karia just looked at numbers 86 guests 45 members , come on in guests and get you say on the org ,

Well said silverfox!:D

Friendliest bunch of people you could wish to meet.

Sure.. we exchange views and discuss things freely.........but it is a welcome discourse and there is a whole load of useful diverse opinion.

Stops us getting set in our ways!;)

twiglet
28-Apr-08, 21:41
I spent a year or so lurking and finally became a member once I moved here. A decision I have never regretted as have met some great people through the org that I might not have met otherwise.

NickInTheNorth
28-Apr-08, 21:49
a whole 2 minutes :D

helenwyler
28-Apr-08, 22:03
As a virgin genealogist I joined the Org as soon as I found it. It was my first forum, and I was too naive to consider a username. I bumbled straight into the chatroom by mistake, was warmly greeted by people with strange names like 'golach' ;), and couldn't get out of it except by exiting the website lol!

I have now been married to the Org for 16 months, and although I have sometimes considered divorce, I'm still here toughing it out. I admit to visiting other sites, but only platonically:cool:.

karia
28-Apr-08, 22:12
As a virgin genealogist I joined the Org as soon as I found it. It was my first forum, and I was too naive to consider a username. I bumbled straight into the chatroom by mistake, was warmly greeted by people with strange names like 'golach' ;), and couldn't get out of it except by exiting the website lol!

I have now been married to the Org for 16 months, and although I have sometimes considered divorce, I'm still here toughing it out. I admit to visiting other sites, but only platonically.

I love a romance helen.............ye and golach who'd have thunk it!:)

Great avatar by the way!

balto
28-Apr-08, 22:14
oh me, i was told about the org, so i jumped in straight away and signed up there and then

joxville
28-Apr-08, 22:20
I found the site by accident, I was actually looking for the Caithness Courier. I liked what I saw so joined immediately but it's only in the last few weeks that I have started leaving post's and taking part in the Sunday evening quiz.

Venture
28-Apr-08, 22:21
I had read a lot about the site before I had a PC. So it was just a case of once I bought the PC I joined straight away. As many have said its a great site to meet people. When you are an orger its like being part of one big happy family. Ive met some really great people on here and the good thing about it is that no matter how you're feeling there's always someone here to advise you, support you, laugh with you and..............argue..sorry debate with you.[lol] Its definitely the orgers that make the site what it is.

Anne x
28-Apr-08, 22:25
I lurked for ages !!! living in Caithness at the time could not get my head round the strange names !!!

was not until I moved away I joined and met some new and OLD pals no offence painter !!! And the rest you know who you are

really good thread and How refreshing !!!
No Type of underpants or where to get a Haircut or whats on Chinese Menu to eat in sight

helenwyler
28-Apr-08, 22:28
[quote=karia;378348]I love a romance helen.............ye and golach who'd have thunk it!
quote]

Krikey:eek:...no romance, merely a friendly welcome for a bumbling ingenue! Anyway, golach has a better half, I gather ;).

karia
28-Apr-08, 22:32
[quote=karia;378348]
quote]Anyway, golach has a better half, I gather ;).

It is entirely possible Helen!;)

Anne x
28-Apr-08, 22:36
[quote=karia;378348]I love a romance helen.............ye and golach who'd have thunk it!
quote]

Krikey:eek:...no romance, merely a friendly welcome for a bumbling ingenue! Anyway, golach has a better half, I gather ;).

Think Mrs G sort you both out

Helen were you no like me Bumbling into the chat
no knowing what was going on

Kevin Milkins
28-Apr-08, 23:46
I was looking for a house and was led to the Org ,Joined and it took me about 3 months to work out how it all worked.
I enjoy the banter and most people are very helpfull.

Anne x
29-Apr-08, 00:48
I agree !! I found people very helpfull especially the long time Orgers
who helped in every possible way
ie when I kept getting things wrong dropping into to chat when I thought suddenly where am I ?
without a scooby as to what happens next but banter and welcome chat guided me
Yeh okay dropping in and out for first few visits doh !!!

How to download a Avatar etc

Ah well now!! how to get photos up it will be winter before my Hyacinths, Irises and Dwarf tulips who survived the snow ever make it if ever

Moira
29-Apr-08, 00:51
Krikey...no romance, merely a friendly welcome for a bumbling ingenue! Anyway, golach has a better half, I gather .

Yes Helen - I believe so too. I also believe her to be a particular and discerning lady - look out Karia. :lol:

Thumper
29-Apr-08, 09:01
I lurked for almost 2 years before I actually joined up, I found a few of the posters a bit "daunting" so didnt join for fear of being "picked on" but once i joined there was no stopping me and I have made some very good friends on the org-you know who you are guys ;). As for the fear I had of being "picked on" well I have learnt how to give as good as i get nowadays [lol] x

trix
29-Apr-08, 10:58
i never lurked at all, i choost used til send private messages til a friend fie 'e auld cheils account, then when i got ma della i opened ma own account an jumped straight in...

it wisna long before a found a friend for life :D

now i sorto lurk aboot inbetween pms, contribute ti lthreads now an again...

sposed til be doin homework tho :mad:

painter
30-Apr-08, 13:44
Ha-Ha Annex You are sooooo funny