PDA

View Full Version : Wick Tax Office Possible Closure

rob murray
28-Apr-08, 13:17
Very saddened to read in the Groat that the tax office in Wick could be under threat of closure with 20 plus jobs at risk. I worked in the DHSS building over the back from the tax office, when I left 20 years ago, 62 people were employed there...now the building is mothballed..with remaining staff ( a handful ) transfered across to Jobcentreplus...a possible net loss of some 40 plus jobs. The agenda at work is to streamline delivery services utlising information communciation technologies..which enables processing work to be carried out anywhere, regardless of location. As regards JCP and benefit processing, this is carried out in a few large back offices...one based in Dundee. The actual decision to relocate work is carried out on a political basis..ie moving work / safeguarding jobs in areas of "political importance"..safeguard votes !!

Given the UKAEA run down, I have to ask the question why such work is not relocated to Wick / Caithness...there is suitable office space in Girnigoe Street which can house 60 plus staff, on current pay scales this would mean an injection of c £1million into the local economy ( plus a multiplier effect )

Surely this should be at the top of the UKAEA run down agenda..

Valerie Campbell
29-Apr-08, 10:53
Not good news. Sometimes it's better to have a face to face conversation to get tax issues sorted out, and all the better when it's on your doorstep. Where would the nearest one be if it does close?

Rheghead
29-Apr-08, 10:56
Oh great, they've finally realised that it's not economically viable anymore to tax such a small population so far from the rest of the UK.