PDA

View Full Version : Strange fungi anyone know it?

the_count
27-Apr-08, 19:57
spotted a load of these all in quite a small area and wondered what they were. One for the fungi experts i think lol

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/plants%20and%20stuff/P1030926.jpg

the_count
28-Apr-08, 01:50
had a good look through the fungus identification sites and think its a member of the coprinus genus (shaggy inkcap) but it looks really strange and the "scales" on it looked uniform on all the one i saw (there were about 100 of them) any better identification would be appreciated.

Lavenderblue2
28-Apr-08, 14:12
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farnorth/msg0620311511710.html

Hello the_count

This is not a fungus - I would say that you have the first shoots of a most horrible weed called Mare's Tail - link above.
I recognised it right away - our garden is being taken over by it - we've tried everything but it just keeps coming and spreading.

Poor you. :(

LB

karia
28-Apr-08, 16:41
If LB is correct then I urge you to get into the garden and start immediate warfare.

It took us 8 years, a flamethrower and weeding on a daily basis to rid ourselves of mares tail.:(

Show no mercy......and Good luck!

the_count
28-Apr-08, 16:51
He he he glad it aint in my garden then lol its on the waste ground at the side of the woods by the off limits community woodland ... cant think how i got the picture :lol:

karia
28-Apr-08, 17:00
He he he glad it aint in my garden then lol its on the waste ground at the side of the woods by the off limits community woodland ... cant think how i got the picture :lol:

Give it half a chance and it will be in everyones garden.:eek:

the_count
28-Apr-08, 19:40
hmm does seem a quite virilent lifeform lol its sort of a plant/fungi cross that puts up fruiting bodies first then chucks up the plant for real after, loves poor soil conditins but cant stand deep shading. glad i aint got it here yet :lol:

Taraxacum
30-Apr-08, 11:10
Hi Count,

What you have a very good photo of is a horsetail. The common horsetail is different from the other horsetails in putting up its spore cone on a non-green stem before the main shoot comes up. So it is Equisetum arvense that you are seeing. Don't plant it in your garden since it is vigorous and ineradicable!

Cheers