PDA

View Full Version : gsoh

bobandag16
27-Apr-08, 13:37
how do you rate good sense of humour. is it because people see the funny side of things or has life become serious. nothing like a good laugh.

karia
27-Apr-08, 13:48
Given the absurdity of the human condition we'd be doomed without a sense of humour.

It is the most valuable thing I own.:)

Thumper
27-Apr-08, 13:59
Life without a GSOH would be terrible...everybody needs to laugh and have some fun x

joxville
27-Apr-08, 14:03
In this day and age we need a good laugh and to hell with the political correctness brigade. Obviously everyone has a different sense of humour but we must not censor anything just because someone is offended-if that was the case we wouldn't be able to laugh about anything at all.

I recall Jimmy Tarbuck being interviewed a few years ago and he was asked his thought's on alternative comedy, he replied "Does that mean not being funny?". Funny is funny-full stop.

I was in a pub back in '94, a couple of days before my mothers funeral and one of my late mother's friend's was collecting for cancer research and asked if I wanted to donate-I replied "How about my lungs?", she said I should be ashamed of that comment because my mother died of cancer. Why should I be ashamed? I thought it was a great response and my mother would have thought it funny too.

So I'm glad we're all different-just don't tell me I can't joke about anything- you'll soon be told where to go and what to do when you get there!

unicorn
27-Apr-08, 14:22
Sense of humour seems to be a dying thing, I say something or laugh about something these days and my daughter quips up mum you can't say that or laugh about that! why not?????? Even our kids are being indoctrinated by political correctness.

percy toboggan
27-Apr-08, 14:46
The British sense of humour has been under attack for many years now.
Consider the 1970's series 'The Comedians'..it was huge at the time and regularly induced side splitting laughter. Remember Stan Boardman's 'Jareman' routines and his digs at shee-ite Muslims? Most of the those guys....Roper, Manning,Williams,Bowen and the like wouldn't get a gig on telly these days.
The po faced have taken over.

I've just been watching a little of Billy Connolly's latest dvd...very politically incorrect and all the better for it.

Like you, I have a very individual sense of humour myself. For instance 'Extras' recently on t.v. was uncomfortably hilarious at times.

Brits tend to find comedy in adversity, and self-deprecation. Also not slow to pick up on the traits of other groups and nationalities. THe old trend for 'sick' jokes has been stifled...but a few were funny - ish. I don't know , perhaps life is not so much about laughing out loud in public anymore... and more about keeping buttoned up in the face of censure, and ridicule by those who know what's best for us all.

Kevin Milkins
27-Apr-08, 15:04
I am a big fan of GSOH.It worrys me slightly though with how straight faced many people are .I was on holiday in Florida some time ago and was trying to have a bit of jest with some Americans that were also on holiday from Maryland.They were looking at me as if I had just escaped from a nut house.
Although we speak the same language it seemed our sense of humour was miles apart.
Even on the Org I posted a bit of jest and got a green with lol very funny, and a red with not funny at all,so I suppose its down to interpretation as well

bobandag16
27-Apr-08, 16:06
=percy toboggan;377897]The British sense of humour has been under attack for many years now.
Consider the 1970's series 'The Comedians'..it was huge at the time and regularly induced side splitting laughter. Remember Stan Boardman's 'Jareman' routines and his digs at shee-ite Muslims? Most of the those guys....Roper, Manning,Williams,Bowen and the like wouldn't get a gig on telly these days.

I've just been watching a little of Billy Connolly's latest dvd...very politically incorrect and all the better for it.

Like you, I have a very individual sense of humour myself. For instance 'Extras' recently on t.v. was uncomfortably hilarious at times.

Brits tend to find comedy in adversity, and self-deprecation. Also not slow to pick up on the traits of other groups and nationalities. THe old trend for 'sick' jokes has been stifled...but a few were funny - ish. I don't know , perhaps life is not so much about laughing out loud in public anymore... and more about keeping buttoned up in the face of censure, and ridicule by those who know what's best for us all.[/quote]

bobandag16
27-Apr-08, 16:11
The British sense of humour has been under attack for many years now.

Brits tend to find comedy in adversity, and self-deprecation. Also not slow to pick up on the traits of other groups and nationalities. THe old trend for 'sick' jokes has been stifled...but a few were funny - ish. I don't know , perhaps life is not so much about laughing out loud in public anymore... and more about keeping buttoned up in the face of censure, and ridicule by those who know what's best for us all.
my problem is often upseting people as my humouor is often weird.

joxville
27-Apr-08, 16:17
I am a big fan of GSOH.It worrys me slightly though with how straight faced many people are .I was on holiday in Florida some time ago and was trying to have a bit of jest with some Americans that were also on holiday from Maryland.They were looking at me as if I had just escaped from a nut house.
Although we speak the same language it seemed our sense of humour was miles apart.
Even on the Org I posted a bit of jest and got a green with lol very funny, and a red with not funny at all,so I suppose its down to interpretation as well

I find that even down here in the south of England where I live that they quite often don't get my Scottish humour. The upside to that is none of my colleagues like Billy Connolly so I can use his one-liners as my own and occassionally get a laugh:)