PDA

View Full Version : Osprey live webcam

LENSMAN
26-Apr-08, 22:10
Had a quick scan of forum and can't see this mentioned.
RSPB now have a live webcam at the Loch of Garten nest.
Three eggs at present.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/birdsofprey/lochgartenvideo.asp

the_count
26-Apr-08, 22:40
thanx for the link lensman, i will probably miss out on getting to see these beautiful birds live as such so webcam link is brilliant :D

the_count
28-Apr-08, 01:53
just wondered if it would be possible to put this on a "sticky" so it doesn't get lost .... just till the chicks fledge?:)

Torvaig
28-Apr-08, 08:53
Just right click on the ospreys' page, select "create shortcut" and you will have an icon on your desktop to look at anytime.....:)

Kevin Milkins
28-Apr-08, 15:39
Just right click on the ospreys' page, select "create shortcut" and you will have an icon on your desktop to look at anytime.....:)

Thats usefull
thanks for that Torvaig

Moira
28-Apr-08, 19:49
Great link LENSMAN. Thank you :)

Kenn
28-Apr-08, 22:16
http://www.regencybrighton.com/birds/webcam/

This is the Brighton peregrine web cam it is on a block of flats just off the sea front.

Sairheed
29-Apr-08, 15:00
I recommend the following:

http://www.thewebbroadcastingcorporation.com/swt/swt.php

helenwyler
12-May-08, 09:20
Had a quick scan of forum and can't see this mentioned.
RSPB now have a live webcam at the Loch of Garten nest.
Three eggs at present.

Thanks for this link LENSMAN. I check in on OJ and OVS every day. I've seen OVS delivering a fish, and caught EJ scaring off an 'intruder'.

The first egg is due to hatch around 25th May, if I remember correctly.

Kevin Milkins
12-May-08, 18:21
I too have been enjoying the Ospreys ,but its a shame the sound has gone down as it did add quite a bit to the experience.

highlander
13-May-08, 19:48
There is lots going on at the nest right now, another osprey is coming back and fore to the nest

dessie
24-May-08, 22:00
what a great site.i like it very much......

highlander
25-May-08, 00:58
Tonight at 5pm, was thrilled to bits to see both ospreys on the nest, daddy osprey had done his duty and took a fish to mummy, hecks she devoured it, then so gently fed some to the chick, fantastic viewing!!

highlander
26-May-08, 22:31
There is now two chicks hatched, if you click on to that site right now you will see them getting fed.

highlander
29-May-08, 12:58
I have myself working my housework watching the osprey, running back and fore, there is now three chicks, at the moment the other osprey has taken some food to the nest and all chicks are getting fed.

Moira
29-May-08, 19:24
Highlander, I was lucky enough to catch the chicks being fed today, while enjoying my own lunch. The proud Mum then tidied up, tossing all the fish bones etc. over the side of the nest. Great stuff :D

Moray Firth Radio reported the story of the three successful hatchings throughout the afternoon. A spokesman from Loch Garten said that they were all delighted at the interest shown by bird lovers throughout the country in the safe arrival of the chicks. He also said that they have been unable to determine the sex of the chicks yet but all should become clear soon. Apparently the female chicks develop bigger feet than their male counterparts! I've learned something new today. :)

Margaret M.
29-May-08, 19:39
Sound is back on which makes it even better. I was lucky enough to catch a feeding the other day.

Doolally
30-May-08, 15:49
Great link. I'm not into watching birds to be honest but find the webcam facinating.

Margaret M.
01-Jun-08, 16:50
I was watching the nest between 3 and 4 in the morning, British time, and it was such a treat to hear a cuckoo which was obviously very close by. I had not heard a cuckoo in years. I used to hear them all the time when I lived there but I don't hear them anymore -- at least not when I've been there, usually during the summer months.

thursobhoy
02-Jun-08, 16:18
Are there many ospreys in caithness?? i have seen them a few times fishing up here but only in the same place, are there a few sites to see them??

thanks

boreray
02-Jun-08, 23:47
This webcam is fascinating. Thanks for the link

Torvaig
03-Jun-08, 10:11
The babies are out just! The biggest one seems to be scolding his smaller siblings and trying to coax them to get up and about.....it's sqeaking at them.....this is fascinating....:lol: A cuckoo is now joining in the noise....and the babies are on their own....ok, I admit it; I've nothing better to do just now..

the_count
14-Jun-08, 20:36
was looking forward to seeing the peregrines fledge but missed em

Kevin Milkins
14-Jun-08, 21:17
I tune in most days and get an update on how they are doing ,it's a shame though that the sound is not always available.
I was watching yesterday when they had 3 Osprey intruders and 1 even landed on the nest breifly.
OVS seen them off 3 times and locked tallons with one .

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 00:39
The thing that is amazing and amusing me most about these young Ospreys at the moment is the way they reverse themselves to the edge of the nest and do a projectile poo over the edge.
I am sure at some stage they will do a bulls eye on the camera lens.lol

Margaret M.
18-Jun-08, 02:39
The thing that is amazing and amusing me most about these young Ospreys at the moment is the way they reverse themselves to the edge of the nest and do a projectile poo over the edge.
I am sure at some stage they will do a bulls eye on the camera lens.lol

It is amazing to see them do that and they have nailed the camera already. The oldest chick is bullying the other two so badly it is very hard to watch them at feeding time. It is vicious -- the oldest chick pecks the others on their heads something fierce and they bury their heads and try to stay out of its way and as a result they get little or no food. The wee one hasn't eaten for some time now and I'm fearful it may starve. Nature is brutal.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jun-08, 19:12
It is amazing to see them do that and they have nailed the camera already. The oldest chick is bullying the other two so badly it is very hard to watch them at feeding time. It is vicious -- the oldest chick pecks the others on their heads something fierce and they bury their heads and try to stay out of its way and as a result they get little or no food. The wee one hasn't eaten for some time now and I'm fearful it may starve. Nature is brutal.

Having made the last post I then read the blog "der".
I was very concerned as you said about the young one getting bullied and not being fed and that was the case yesterday when OV brought a fish.
Wife and I was watching today and same old thing with his head buried.
Wife was shouting at the big one at one stage for being a bully and had to assure her that he could not here her lol.
A fish came in and the 2 big ones had a guts full ,and after a while the mother got the little chap to feed.
They then updated the blog and it was all good news, and not to worry.

Moira
19-Jun-08, 21:15
I check the chicks' progress at least once a day when I'm online. I too was concerned about the wee one's progress but was reassured by the Blogs which are written by folks who are experienced and have seen it all before.

I'll take their word for it that all is progressing well and continue to enjoy my privileged vantage point on nature's best from the comfort of my own PC. Great stuff :D

Kevin Milkins
20-Jun-08, 15:11
It seems the experts are correct.
I watched them feed this morning and a soon as the fish hit the nest, the little one buried his head.
Mother fed the whole fish to the other two but boss chick had his fill first.
When boss chick had his fill he decided to give the little one a bashing anyway which was a bit disturbing.
When all had settled down the little one went begging to mum, and then she disapeared of the nest At about 12-30 ish and was gone for some time .
I went out and come back at about 2-45 and mother was feeding the little one while older sibblings were having a kip.
At least we know he is getting some food even if he is the subject of bullying.:Razz

Margaret M.
20-Jun-08, 16:12
The first day the bullying started feeding times were brutal and, like Kevin's wife, I am guilty of yelling a few choice words in the bully's direction. At one point he grabbed the wee one and shook it like a rag doll - I was sure it was a goner. Now the 3rd chick knows to roll into a ball to help avoid the worst of it and once first born eats until it can barely move, last born slips in to get a wee morsel. It obviously stinks to be the last osprey egg to hatch.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jun-08, 18:15
The first day the bullying started feeding times were brutal and, like Kevin's wife, I am guilty of yelling a few choice words in the bully's direction. At one point he grabbed the wee one and shook it like a rag doll - I was sure it was a goner. Now the 3rd chick knows to roll into a ball to help avoid the worst of it and once first born eats until it can barely move, last born slips in to get a wee morsel. It obviously stinks to be the last osprey egg to hatch.

I wonder if the big un will go on in later life to be a fine figure of an Osprey or a pot bellied pig.lol. I can see him swooping in on Loch Garten to pluck a fish out of the water and hitting it like one of Barns Wallace bouncing bombs.:lol:
Then the little runt swooping in behind him as nimble as Twiggy to pluck the fish up in one claw whilst giving his older sibling the two fingers with the other. MMM Maybee

Margaret M.
21-Jun-08, 16:05
Then the little runt swooping in behind him as nimble as Twiggy to pluck the fish up in one claw whilst giving his older sibling the two fingers with the other. MMM Maybee

Love it, osprey karma. They've nailed the camera good now. Maybe the rain they expect tomorrow will clean it off. I have never seen anything go potty with such force.

Margaret M.
25-Jun-08, 22:59
The way it looks right now, the wee one will probably not make it. It is heartbreaking to see it beg for food and be pecked something fierce for even asking. It is not survival of the fittest by any means, the last born has no chance when food is not provided regularly. Had it been given its share of food it may well have been fitter than the other two -- goodness knows it has been a fighter and survivor to this point. It is so tiny and weak now and it is soooo disturbing and sad to watch but yet I keep checking in the hope of seeing the wee one getting a decent bite to eat. This is the first and last time I have watched birds of prey via webcam -- not for me.

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-08, 01:35
The way it looks right now, the wee one will probably not make it. It is heartbreaking to see it beg for food and be pecked something fierce for even asking. It is not survival of the fittest by any means, the last born has no chance when food is not provided regularly. Had it been given its share of food it may well have been fitter than the other two -- goodness knows it has been a fighter and survivor to this point. It is so tiny and weak now and it is soooo disturbing and sad to watch but yet I keep checking in the hope of seeing the wee one getting a decent bite to eat. This is the first and last time I have watched birds of prey via webcam -- not for me.

Dont give up hope on him MM .The wife spends a lot of time shouting at the bully, and I am sure he can hear her from Wick.lol
I have been lucky enough to see the wee one having a good feed on several occations and he might supprise us all. None of us like to see bullying in any shape or form but it does give us a wanting for the underdog to survive.

Torvaig
26-Jun-08, 07:42
Sad to say but I think the little one had died. I can't see any movement but at least its suffering will be over.....

Margaret M.
26-Jun-08, 14:26
Yes, it's gone, what a slow and painful way to die. This soft hearted sap is done with birds of prey webcams -- I have images now that I could have lived quite happily without. :(

golach
26-Jun-08, 20:45
Sad to say but I think the little one had died. I can't see any movement but at least its suffering will be over.....
Sadly Torvaig, this is Nature in the Raw. Without web cams and the TV, this type of Natural selection process would be hidden from us. The way I look at it now, the other two will survive. But I am still sad, I was rooting for the wee chiel.

Moira
28-Jun-08, 00:32
Yes, it's gone, what a slow and painful way to die. This soft hearted sap is done with birds of prey webcams -- I have images now that I could have lived quite happily without. :(

I know what you mean Margaret M. Having said that I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Last Tuesday evening (around 7-8 pm) the wee one was eating a fish with great glee, while the other two were sleeping. It was a delight to watch. Needless to say the two oldest chicks eventually became aware of what was happening. True to form the biggest bully in the nest soon had the wee one screaming - I'll spare you the details..

I'll continue to look in on them from time to time but my interest is not quite the same somehow. And I can't quite believe that the Bully Chick is using the poor dead baby as a pillow!

Kevin Milkins
28-Jun-08, 00:50
Are they using our hero as a pillow or have they realised that they may have been instrumental in the death of there sibling.
Please EJ, get rid.
Lets move on

nightowl
03-Jul-08, 10:02
Another beautiful morning in Loch Garton. Both chicks now look enormous. Lots of stretching and flapping of wings. Do we know the sexes? I thought one looked like a female with a bib developing. Don't know about the other. I wish the webcam could be recorded on video so that I won't miss the tagging. I suppose it will be just luck to catch it. Only then will we be able to judge their size. This has been a lovely experience and a real privilege to look in on this amazing family. Good luck to them all.

nightowl
04-Jul-08, 09:56
Well, that's the wee chick gone. Mum has just dragged it away and flown off with it.

highlander
04-Jul-08, 17:26
Has anyone else been watching this today, i have been flicking back and fore, just got back from town and mother and one of the chicks is eating but the other chick seems to be lying down taking no interest in the food, hope its ok.

nightowl
13-Jul-08, 13:36
The chicks are huge now - see their photos on their website to get an idea of size. Much wing exercising by Nethy today. The experts reckon any day now she'll be away. What a noise when all three call for food.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/tracking/lochgartenospreys/index.asp

Kevin Milkins
13-Jul-08, 15:23
Thanks for that nightowl, it does give you some prospective of just how big the Osprey is when you have somthing to compare them with.
I would say Nethy will fly on Friday 18th am. Thats my grandaughter's break up time from school.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-08, 11:02
It was great to be on line when Nethy took her first flight at just after 10am this morning.
Also the new camera situation makes it all a bit more interesting.:D

Kathy@watten
20-Jul-08, 14:30
I tuned in to see osprey chicks on the right morning! great use of modern equipment here, the right place for a web cam! lovely to see!

arana negra
24-Jul-08, 22:06
Link to the Osprey cam at Loch o Lowes

http://www.thewebbroadcastingcorporation.com/swt/swt.php

We have visited this site last year on a visit to relatives in Perth.

Great to see links to other sites.

highlander
09-Sep-08, 12:34
I just read on the bbc site that one of the ospreys has been found dead, what a crying shame to learn this, i have added the link for you all to read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7605658.stm

arana negra
09-Sep-08, 14:47
Awe thats a crying shame, sad news indeed.

nightowl
28-Sep-08, 23:59
http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/Davegasc/?action=view&current=Desharsflight.jpg

Deshar has finally made a break for Africa but had missed land completely and is heading for the Azores. RSPB blog doesn't sound too hopeful that he will make it. Fingers and toes crossed!:~(

Moira
29-Sep-08, 01:05
I've been following their progress and this news is really disappointing. I'll be keeping everything crossed for both Deshar and Nethy.

One niggling question keeps running in my mind. By attaching these tracking devices to the birds, could we have upset their own, natural SatNav system?

Margaret M.
29-Sep-08, 01:46
One niggling question keeps running in my mind. By attaching these tracking devices to the birds, could we have upset their own, natural SatNav system?

I've wondered that too, Moira. Having to tote contraptions that are stitched into their feathers, signals bouncing off the antennae protruding from their backs -- there's no way to know how it really affects them.

I sure hope Deshar survives and even little meanie, Nethy.

Kevin Milkins
29-Sep-08, 19:25
I do hope Deshar makes land soon as he has done nearly 2000 miles.:eek:
That was a good point Moira about the Sat Nav may affect his own instinctive navigational system.

I see Nethy has made some progress now and has made off towards France.

I know this sounds a bit daft ,if we were to lose one I would have prefeard it to be Nethy for being such a bully to her young sibbling that did not make it to fledge.:mad:

Moira
30-Sep-08, 21:49
According to the latest blog, the tracking devices are not to blame :-
"I would like to add at this point that there is no proof at all that the transmitters cause the birds to fly off course - we will be updating the FAQs on the tracking page to explain this further. If it did cause a problem then the data which we are gathering would be flawed and therefore worthless. It is known that several ospreys have been seen wintering on the Azores, and these did not have satellite tags on them. I think that the last few days of north easterly winds have been more likely the cause of Deshar's flight path than anything else."

Margaret M.
30-Sep-08, 22:05
They now believe that Deshar is dead -- neither speed nor altitude is detected. :( Once he missed the Azores it did not look good for him.

Kevin Milkins
30-Sep-08, 22:59
I feel gutted now.:(

highlander
02-Oct-08, 07:42
Just read this on BBC news, such a shame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7646470.stm

Moira
12-Oct-08, 21:35
The good news is that Nethy has made it to Africa. She's been skirting the Sahara desert and is not quite home and dry yet - but here's hoping. :D

Btw, when I logged onto the Loch Garten website the other night I saw from the Blog that Nethy had made it to Africa. I shouted out to hubby "Nethy is in Africa!" He replied "What's she doing there then?" He had, in fact, misheard me and thought I'd shouted "Nessie is in Africa!" As if I'd click on any dubious links :roll:

Is anyone else still following this fascinating story?

Kenn
12-Oct-08, 22:23
Still checking daily here moira.

So is the OM getting a hearing aid for Christmas? We have a good chuckle over that one.

Kevin Milkins
12-Oct-08, 23:51
I know it sounds a bit daft but I never really took to Nethy because she was such a bully to her younger sibbling resulting in its death.

Watching them take their first flight was exciting times and when they got down to the south coast it all got a bit interesting with the "will they wont they".

When Desher ditched I sort of lost interest as it made me feel so sad.:(
Can't wait till next year now so they can do it all again.:Razz

Margaret M.
25-Oct-08, 15:33
I'm with you, Kevin, even though Nethy was doing what she was programmed to do, I suppose, the images of the bullying and the wee one dying still get to me. It was very sad when Deshar didn't make it. I'm still delighted that Nethy the bully made it all the way. It seems like several of the ospreys that were toting the tracking units did not make it. They say no, but I'm still wondering if these things interfere with the gps nature gave them.

I hope wherever EJ is, she is safe -- she was quite a mother. I peek in every now and then to get an update but I will not be watching next year.

Moira
02-Nov-08, 20:40
Kevin and Margaret, I understand what you mean though I doubt I'll be able to resist logging onto the webcam next year again - I'm just too darn nosy not to. :D

It seems that Deshar was not the only osprey who lost his bearings. This one was photographed on the Armada oil platform. I do hope he gets a move on and makes it to warmer climes soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7701704.stm

Margaret M.
02-Nov-08, 22:12
I doubt I'll be able to resist logging onto the webcam next year again - I'm just too darn nosy not to.

It will take everything I have not to watch -- if only one or two eggs hatch, I may take a lookie now and then.

I hope the osprey on the oil rig gets moving in the right direction.

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-08, 01:35
If we started to get too concerned about what we see in nature we would find it hard to draw back the curtains in the morning.:eek::confused

bluebell
12-Nov-08, 14:26
Sooo cute:o have just been watching the squirrels feeding,what lovely little creatures they are,why have I never seen them up here?

Kevin Milkins
12-Nov-08, 14:39
Sooo cute:o have just been watching the squirrels feeding,what lovely little creatures they are,why have I never seen them up here?

A bit short on trees up here.:confused

arana negra
26-Mar-09, 19:22
A female osprey is back at the site.

Moira
29-Mar-09, 17:48
The latest blog from the Loch Garten site confirms it is indeed EJ back for her seventh season. Apparently she collected a fish supper on her way in and has been busy tidying up and repairing the nest.

I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself having a peek in now and again. :D

I'm bringing the link forward in case anyone else wants to look in :-

WARNING to Kevin & Margaret - don't click unless you want to become hooked again. ;)

Anne x
29-Mar-09, 19:13
The latest blog from the Loch Garten site confirms it is indeed EJ back for her seventh season. Apparently she collected a fish supper on her way in and has been busy tidying up and repairing the nest.

I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself having a peek in now and again. :D

I'm bringing the link forward in case anyone else wants to look in :-

WARNING to Kevin & Margaret - don't click unless you want to become hooked again. ;)

Great thanks Moira

Kevin Milkins
29-Mar-09, 19:51
Drat, here we go again, hooked for another season.lol:eek::confused

arana negra
29-Mar-09, 20:08
:) ooppss sorry I did not realise some folks were hooked on watching them. I got hooked on the squirrels last year.

Kevin Milkins
03-Apr-09, 13:55
Life it seems can be so cruel when we have the benefit of technology to help us monitor and understand wild life.

For the few of us on the org that monitored the Osprey family at Loch Garten near Abernethy will know of the trials and tribulations of an Ospreys lot.

It now seems that nature has dealt it’s last bitter blow to last years brood EJ's fine, but...... (http://blogs.rspb.org.uk/lochgartenospreys/archive/2009/04/02/EJ_2700_s-fine_2C00_-but_2E002E002E002E002E002E00_.aspx) with EJ back and looking for action we can do it all again.

Margaret M.
03-Apr-09, 16:04

No problem, Moira, I spent the winter in osprey addiction rehab and I have deleted the RSPB link from my favorite places.

I'm sure RSPB need the data but tracking and monitoring these birds so closely will probably never provide a happy ending for bird lovers. I know that nature is brutal, I just don't want a front row seat to watch it. The images of the feeding activities last season are still vivid and learning of the demise of Deshar and now Nethy is quite saddening. I'm still not convinced that those tracking contraptions that they stitched to the ospreys' bodies did not contribute to their deaths.

I am happy to know that EJ made it back -- she is an amazing bird.

If any of you catch me loitering around this thread, do me a favour and shoo me away.

arana negra
16-Apr-09, 12:25
Some where between 12.21 and 12.48 this morning (that is spanish time)the first egg was laid.

arana negra
17-Apr-09, 18:59
That is strange there was no egg earlier today :confused:

Kevin Milkins
17-Apr-09, 20:34
That is strange there was no egg earlier today :confused:

Thats odd.

Mrs M was having a look yesterday and said EJ moved about and she saw an egg.:confused

nightowl
20-Apr-09, 10:48
Just a wee querie. Is anyone else getting a buzz drowning out the surrounding sounds on the Loch Garton Osprey and Goshawk webcams, or is it just me at this end?
If so, is there anything I can adjust to sort it out. I think I've tried all the simple things. The American ones are great, perfect pictures. And with the time difference we can watch day and night. Fingers crossed for a less harrowing year than last.

arana negra
20-Apr-09, 17:32
The Loch Garton one has a buzz on my pc, not loud enough to drown out their calls though.

Kevin Milkins
21-Apr-09, 08:12
The Loch Garton one has a buzz on my pc, not loud enough to drown out their calls though.

The Loch Garton one has a buzz on mine as well:confused

I did say I was not going to view it this year, but after one peep I am hooked again.:eek:

Moira
27-May-09, 18:26
..... as the last of the three chicks hatched last night. So far, so good - EJ seems to be feeding them equally from the endless supply of fish suppers brought in by Odin. :D

Margaret M.
27-May-09, 19:06
..... as the last of the three chicks hatched last night. So far, so good - EJ seems to be feeding them equally from the endless supply of fish suppers brought in by Odin. :D

Rehab helped me but I have relapsed every now and then but not hooked .....yet. :~( Let's hope nothing happens to Odin, he's a star fisherman and all three may have a chance with him around. EJ is a lovely bird -- such a good mother.

Kevin Milkins
27-May-09, 22:32
Rehab helped me but I have relapsed every now and then but not hooked .....yet. :~( Let's hope nothing happens to Odin, he's a star fisherman and all three may have a chance with him around. EJ is a lovely bird -- such a good mother.

Well Margeraret M, despite the rehab it looks like you have fallen off the wagon again.
It all looks a bit more chance for all three chicks this year and lets hope we will not have to witness the bullying we saw last year.:(

Well done on your next post Margaret M and to become a 1K orger.:Razz

nightowl
27-May-09, 23:27
I swore after the heartache of last year "never again" but here I am again, thrilled with the new babes. Are they a wee bit closer together this year, in age I mean? Hopefully mum will keep feeding them equally and they'll all survive. Odin is a star.
So with the Goshawks and the Eagle and the Barn Owl and the Springwatch nests, I could sit here all day, and often do...........

Margaret M.
28-May-09, 01:14
Well done on your next post Margaret M and to become a 1K orger.

Well, yeeeeehaw, it just took me 6 years!

Kevin Milkins
28-May-09, 05:32

It's quality and not quantity that counts with you Margaret.;)

Aaldtimer
28-May-09, 21:47
http://blogs.rspb.org.uk/lochgartenospreys/archive/2009/05/28/Some-not-so-good-news-now_2C00_-I_2700_m-afraid_2E002E002E002E002E002E00_.aspx

:~(

Kevin Milkins
28-May-09, 22:47
http://blogs.rspb.org.uk/lochgartenospreys/archive/2009/05/28/Some-not-so-good-news-now_2C00_-I_2700_m-afraid_2E002E002E002E002E002E00_.aspx

:~(

This has nightmare written all over it.:(

Moira
28-May-09, 23:06
Oh my goodness, bad news indeed Aaldtimer. I've not had time to log onto the site today.

I do understand that we are witnessing nature, raw as it is at times, from a truly, privileged vantage point through the wonders of modern technology, but....

...and it is a BIG but...

I'm almost questioning the Loch Garten team for not intervening. This is probably going to be EJ's last season raising chicks and Odin has proved to be such a great defender and provider for his family. It just seems such a shame if the worst case scenario follows. :(

Margaret M.
28-May-09, 23:07
This has nightmare written all over it.:(

Have mercy, just when I thought it was safe to watch again. Let's hope the lovely Odin can free himself of the line. At least he has people watching him who can maybe help him if need be, goodness knows how many times this happens in nature with no hope for a good ending. I know there are times when fishing line breaks off and one cannot retrieve it but shame on those who make no effort to ensure that there is none left lying in places where it can spell disaster for wildlife.

Kirdon
29-May-09, 13:22

6 years to have your say? not like you!!!! Ha Ha.

Margaret M.
29-May-09, 13:47
6 years to have your say? not like you!!!! Ha Ha.

I think I finally know who you are -- tall, dark and handsome? :D

nightowl
29-May-09, 16:49
Heard about this on last nights Scottish news at tea time. Just when everything was going so well too. Hopefully he will disentangle himself and carry on to be a great dad. I haven't seen any line dangling so far but maybe it's just too fine for the camera to pick up. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Margaret M.
29-May-09, 18:37
Dang webcams, dang birds, dang the lack of willpower, I'm being sucked right back in. Great news about Odin from the blog:

What a day...........

Right. The up-date you've been waiting for. Firstly though, sorry for not keeping you informed until now, but we've had a very anxious time today, to put it mildly, and rather than give you incomplete piecemeal up-dates, we've awaited developments to see how things would pan-out. But now I'm able to give you, not good news, but GREAT NEWS!!
Chronologically it goes like this, roughly. Odin as you know was trailing this long length of fishing line. He returned with a fish at c.8pm last evening and it seemed like he had lost the majority of the line, but not all. When he flew from the nest after having delivered the fish, the line must have snagged on a nest stick, because he was seen flying away, line still trailing and now a stick attached. Very worrying.
He arrived again at the nest at about 10.50pm with another fish. The volunteers again thought that he had much less line on his legs and feet, but it was dusk, light was fading and the infra-red camera had kicked-in, so the pictures weren't the clearest, but we could at least hope that this was the case. It seemed like the line had snapped at the junction with the swivel. Though this left a shorter length attached to him, the weight of the swivel was now at the end, which could mean this might act as a bolas, whereby, when alighting on a perch, the swinging weighted line could wrap around a branch, Very, very worrying. Anyway, off he went to roost somewhere.
I phoned the duty volunteers at 6am this morning and the word was, no sign of Odin. Currently it is getting light here now at about 03.40am and Odin usually shows up at the nest early on, at say 4am at least, but this morning, no-show, which was a bit odd and all the more worrying. There was no sign of him all morning in fact, until about 11am, when to our huge relief, he arrived at the nest but without a fish. What had taken him so long?
As far as we could see, it did look like the line had indeed gone. But one of his wing feathers was sticking verticaly up in the air, still attached but looking like it had been wrenched out of place. Could he possibly have been strung up over night somewhere, struggling to free himself, hence his very late arrival at the nest and with this feather damage? We'll never know for sure. But it could be that Odin had a very close call.
Anyway, he was only at the nest briefly, to support EJ in repelling an intruding osprey that arrived and landed on the pillar adjacent to the nest. EJ lunged at it and sent it packing. Odin then promptly flew off. To fish, we hoped.
Several hours passed, but no sign of him returning. On such a glorious day of weather, very warm & sunny, we expected him back with a fish in an instant, but no. Again we worried. Why on such a good fishing day was he not coming back? Ordinarily, a male osprey away for several hours would be neither here nor there, but given all that gone before, we were concerned about this period of absence. Did he still have some line? Was he injured in any way as a result of a struggle to free himself?
Finally, at about 3pm this afternoon, he arrived back, and with a fish. To say we were hugely relieved would be an understatement. The tension had been unbearable, but now once again we had the chance to look for line on him and he does indeed appear to be clean. Returning with a fish was a re-assuring sign too. Maybe he's just a bit out of sorts? A little traumatised perhaps? Or possibly his fishing ability has been temporarily impaired? That out-of-align wing feather, could that affect his accuracy, making him less deft in his movements when twisting & turning when diving? Who knows?
For now though, we're back on an even keel, thank goodness. Odin, EJ and the nest seem to be free of fishing tackle, Odin has brought in a fish, chicks have been fed and are enjoying basking in the wonderful sunshine.

nightowl
31-May-09, 12:19
Just watching mum feeding all three chicks equally. Its lovely to see them waiting their turn. In a wee while I'm sure it will be a scramble as they all fight to be fed first, squakking all the way.

Moira
31-May-09, 21:18
Yes, you are so right nightowl. Long may it continue.

I'm keeping Margaret M's "dang" word in mind for the occasions where it might go wrong. I may even use "ding" before the "dang" for extra emphasis. :)

Margaret M.
03-Jun-09, 14:15
Have you all been following the drama? Odin went AWOL for 30 hours and after the babies hadn't eaten for 27 hours, the Loch Garten team got approval to sneak some Tesco trout up to the nest. It looks like he's back now. He''s such a wonderful provider when he is there but let's hope he doesn't pull a disappearing act again.

DANG BIRDS, DANG WEBCAMS!

Shabbychic
03-Jun-09, 16:42
I'm so pleased to hear that Margaret. Was on the site earlier and was saddened to hear Odin had gone AWOL. Great news.:)

Moira
03-Jun-09, 19:57
I missed this latest drama, thankfully. All seems to be back on track now.

Margaret M.
04-Jun-09, 16:52
That osprey nest is like a cruise ship, food everywhere you turn. Not sure what's going on with Odin, maybe he's just sick of being a meal ticket.

Moira
05-Jun-09, 22:26
I'd not actually thought about it like that MargaretM but you could be absolutely right,

This is only my second season observing the Loch Garten Nest and I am still trying to make sense of it all. :)

Margaret M.
13-Jun-09, 03:52
Well osprey addicts, isn't life on the nest just grand, nature the way it should be. Roly-poly babies, sometimes EJ can't give the fish away. It's nice not having anything to whine about.............let's hope it lasts.

Kevin Milkins
13-Jun-09, 10:26
Well osprey addicts, isn't life on the nest just grand, nature the way it should be. Roly-poly babies, sometimes EJ can't give the fish away. It's nice not having anything to whine about.............let's hope it lasts.

As Mrs Gump used to say"Life is just like a box of choclates"lol.:Razz

Lets hope it's not another calm before a storm.:confused

nightowl
13-Jun-09, 11:06
Seeing as the chicks are all growing well, I wonder if the Loch Garton team will think about tagging them all with an ariel this year, instead of just the two they were planning. Depends on costs I suppose. I hope Odin has good directional skills in his genes. Dinnae want to go through last years drama ever again!

nightowl
13-Jun-09, 16:29
What a difference loadsa food makes to mealtimes. The chicks are sitting in a row just now with wee one in the middle. No fighting, very civilised.

Moira
15-Jun-09, 00:15
Yes it is nice. My name is Moira and I am a LG Osprey addict. :)

As Mrs Gump used to say"Life is just like a box of choclates"lol.
Lets hope it's not another calm before a storm.:confused
Oh come on now Kevin, I think we have weathered enough storms with this particular nest. Bring on the sunshine and the good times!

Seeing as the chicks are all growing well, I wonder if the Loch Garton team will think about tagging them all with an ariel this year, instead of just the two they were planning. Depends on costs I suppose. I hope Odin has good directional skills in his genes. Dinnae want to go through last years drama ever again!
I'm still not convinced about the tagging programme. The Loch Garten team are keen on it and are still trying to raise funds in order to accomplish it.

I'm no expert but by all standards last year's chick raising on the LG nest and the end results were a bit of a catastrophe. This season has been altogether different.

I think the LG team are dedicated and formidable. Maybe, once I've done a little bit more research, they'll have my cheque as well as my online support. :)

Margaret M.
15-Jun-09, 03:13
I'm still not convinced about the tagging programme. The Loch Garten team are keen on it and are still trying to raise funds in order to accomplish it.

I'm not convinced either, Moira, there's no way they can know for sure that the tracking devices are harmless to the birds. They went to the trouble and expense last year only to learn that Deshar flew the wrong way and Nethy is either dead or she lost the tracking device -- how is that information useful to them and how do they justify the cost involved? I say put an identifying leg ring on them and leave it at that.

nightowl
15-Jun-09, 12:20
I worried about the harness on the tagging device. Did it become tight and dig in? Also did the device actually interfere with natural signals the birds obviously rely on. It was strange that they took so long to get over to the continent last year. I know the weather was against them at times but they seemed reluctant to make the leap across the channel. As you say Margaret, maybe it is better just to have the leg rings and watch out for them next year. Time will tell.

Margaret M.
15-Jun-09, 14:34
I worried about the harness on the tagging device. Did it become tight and dig in? Also did the device actually interfere with natural signals the birds obviously rely on.

Exactly, Nightowl, the thing is stitched into their feathers and no-one can know for sure what the signals do to their own navigation system. That's one cause I don't feel bad about not giving a penny to, the RSPB yes, tags for the birds, nope.

nightowl
17-Jun-09, 10:11
Just watching another lovely feeding session at Loch Garton. It makes me so sad to think back to last year where the sonario was so different. As ospreys are still in short supply, would it have been so terrible to help out with the feeding and enable the three chicks to survive, as starvation seemed to be the only reason the little one died. It may have given the bigger ones even more of a chance to survive their migration too. I do understand the reasoning behind letting only the fittest survive, but these chicks had half their mother's genes too and she is a feisty lady. I'm sure OVS's "poor parenting skills genes" would soon be watered down in future families.
I feel the same way about all wildlife, especially when its captured on film for us all to see. Leaving animals to suffer and die when it would be so easy to intervene and help, because of interfering with nature, is tragic. To me it seems on such a small scale, it would hardly impact on the future success of the species if the odd baby or injured adult were given a helping hand. Can't even watch now if there is an impending disaster unfolding. So here's hoping all our chicks do well this year or I'll be "bubbling" all over my keyboard again........

nightowl
15-Aug-09, 19:52
Just popped in to have a quick look at the nest and there is mum, tenderly feeding one of the girls, who looks just as big as herself. Its been a great year this year for the whole family. The chicks must be really strong, the proof being, Rothes motoring across France as I type, having left before mum - aparrently not the done thing in Osprey circles!! I'm looking forward to the tracking this year. Silent prayers for no mishaps.

Margaret M.
15-Aug-09, 20:50
Its been a great year this year for the whole family. The chicks must be really strong, the proof being, Rothes motoring across France

Her progress is amazing! Let's hope they all stay on course and reach their destination safely. Beautiful birds -- what a difference an ample food supply made this year.

Moira
15-Aug-09, 23:40
I've been following their progress too, dipping in and out as time allows.

As you both say, Nightowl and Margaret M, this year has been totally different.

Fingers, claws and beaks crossed! :D

nightowl
05-Sep-09, 18:16
Just had a wee look at the RSBP blog and see both the tagged chicks are now in France. Maybe that's why Rothes has hovered around the sturgeon farm for so long, waiting for her sister. LOL Wonder if they would recognize each other, were they ever to meet up?
Everything this year has been so much more positive. Keep it up girls..

Margaret M.
06-Sep-09, 19:06

That is has! I hope the entire family stay safe. I still hope Nethy is alive and out there somewhere. There was a lot of fechting and falling out going on among the bloggers on the RSPB site last week -- made me chuckle -- so silly.

Moira
07-Sep-09, 21:03
Just had a wee look at the RSBP blog and see both the tagged chicks are now in France. Maybe that's why Rothes has hovered around the sturgeon farm for so long, waiting for her sister. LOL Wonder if they would recognize each other, were they ever to meet up?

My thoughts are very similar to yours nightowl.

Much as I have my reservations about Rothes' & Mallachie's "backpacks" which allow us to track their progress, I can't help fretting about Garten.

That is has! I hope the entire family stay safe. I still hope Nethy is alive and out there somewhere. There was a lot of fechting and falling out going on among the bloggers on the RSPB site last week -- made me chuckle -- so silly.

Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one still hoping about Nethy! Would it not be wonderful if she returns to Scotland over the next few years? :D

I too noticed the fechting among the bloggers - it reminded me of a place not too far from here - as you say - so silly and so sad. :roll:

Moira
06-Apr-10, 00:09
Brace yourselves, they are back....

Link for the Live-Eye Webcam is here -

golach
23-Apr-10, 09:04
This is the RSPB web cam at Loch Garten

nightowl
29-Apr-10, 01:57
Fully braced, Moira, and ready for all the ups and downs.
Please tell me that the camera on the nest at night has night sight. Surely the poor souls are not bathed in light 24/7. Was gonna say last year but sounded so ignorant. This year I must know for sure, before I go mad:eek:

Margaret M.
29-Apr-10, 02:36
Brace yourselves, they are back....

It's really awesome to think that these two birds have gone all the way to Africa, survived the winter months and have made it back safely. It will be a sad year when EJ fails to return. Let's hope for another drama free season.

Moira
01-May-10, 01:14
Fully braced, Moira, and ready for all the ups and downs.
Please tell me that the camera on the nest at night has night sight. Surely the poor souls are not bathed in light 24/7. Was gonna say last year but sounded so ignorant. This year I must know for sure, before I go mad:eek:

I'd not thought about it Nightowl. I'd just assumed it was a night-sight and inobstrusive camera. Is anyone you know registered with the site in order to ask?

It's really awesome to think that these two birds have gone all the way to Africa, survived the winter months and have made it back safely. It will be a sad year when EJ fails to return. Let's hope for another drama free season.
Yes Margaret M, I agree. I hate to think about EJ & Odin failing to return.
Yet I look forward to seeing their chicks return to Loch Garten. :)

arana negra
01-May-10, 19:27
I had a look, I hope I don't get hooked again :-) when in Scotland recently I visited the Loch O' Lowes Ospreys, spent some time in the hide watching. Beautiful birds.

nightowl
01-May-10, 21:40
Been checking around the other webcams and they use infra red vision. It gives the same lighting effect as the osprey one so I guess it is the same. Phew, so they will sleep in the darkness, until the days lengthen and we all have round the clock lighting.:)

kas
02-May-10, 10:27
The morning after EJ laid her first egg, and a photo of the capercaillie that was out the front of the hide that same morning. It was too far away for a real photo so I took one from the CCTV.
Great place and the staff are great. It was the Ospreys here that ignited my love of birds many years ago.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/LG-1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f170/kasm/caper.jpg

Moira
03-May-10, 21:04
Oh brilliant captures Kas, thank you! :)

I used to holiday in the area but I doubt my crazy Lab would have been welcome at the Centre. I really must take the time out to visit the place the next time I'm passing....

Miss E
04-May-10, 14:28
Quality.....Pure Quality.... just saw the male and female (don't know which is which lol) swap over after bringing back some food to the nest.

So great thanks :)

Thank you for the link

Miss E
05-May-10, 11:55
Watching them again, they are lovely. Can anyone tell me please how you can tell the male from the female.

Cheers :)

Moira
13-May-10, 21:52
Hi Miss E. I think you will find that EJ (the female) has more dull, brown feathers below her neck than Odin (the male) who is sporting very vibrant,
white colours on his chest right now.

I'd meant to steer clear of the Osprey season at Loch Garten this year but, alas, I can't help but be drawn in...... :)

Margaret M.
18-May-10, 04:18
Watching them again, they are lovely. Can anyone tell me please how you can tell the male from the female.

Here's a couple of videos of EJ and Odin together. Like Moira said, you can see the difference in the colouring of their chest feathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMSHAfXJFU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9kHPLQaNxo&feature=related

nightowl
21-May-10, 21:38
Any minute now at Loch Garton. The second of three eggs hatched this evening at Loch of the Lowes. Here we go again!

nightowl
21-May-10, 22:14
Poor EJ cant seem to settle, keeps readjusting the position of the eggs. Wonder if she's hearing the chicks or feeling them move??

nightowl
22-May-10, 14:27
Number one at eleven forty last night. I wonder if they'll be tagging again this year.

Moira
22-May-10, 22:00
Thanks to your post late last night, Nightowl, I was able to enjoy the sight of the first chick early this morning. Thank you. :)

I guess the Loch Garten team will be tagging the chicks again this year.

Dadie
23-May-10, 21:46
Hooked again...now the chicks are here!

nightowl
24-May-10, 20:45
What a time for the webcam at Loch Garton to be out of action. There's so much going on at Loch of the Lowes, cant help feeling we're missing lots of action here!-:(
Even the static camera has given up the ghost.

Moira
24-May-10, 21:00
Nightowl, here's hoping it's a very temporary glitch.

EJ was doing her best to scare off some intruders earlier, from around 18.30 until 19.15 hrs. (the last time I looked). She was clearly distressed and Odin didn't come to her rescue.

The blogs will probably allay our fears, fingers crossed. :)

nightowl
03-Jun-10, 20:47
Just done my nightly round of the webcams and must say what a lovely day its been everywhere. The ospreys both at Loch Garton and Loch of the Lowes have fed the chicks magnificently. The webcams on Springwatch are fantastic again this year, but I suppose we should only expect the best from the good ol' BBC.

nightowl
14-Jun-10, 11:53
Is it just my imagination or are the chicks at Loch Garton bigger and plumper than the ones at Loch of the Lowes, despite hatching later? Or maybe its just a trick of the camera. Anyway it seems like another successful year for superb fishing.

Iffy
14-Jun-10, 18:57
Tried to watch this fascinating footage of the Ospreys, but it just seems to be a hit and miss (mostly a miss) whether the actual film runs smoothly !!!

I was fascinated watching the female preen herself and then there seemed to be a lot of noise and upset - I couldn't see what was happening as the video link decided to freeze on me !!

Next thing I saw was the female feeding her chicks; so obviously the noise I "heard" was the male coming into the nest with the fish !

Would have been lovely to have seen that - if, what they say, according to the site, is correct, then I would expect the "filming" to be up to scratch - very obviously it's not !!! [evil]

nightowl
14-Jun-10, 22:48
I must just be very lucky as apart from a short period when they had technical problems at Loch Garton, I've had great reception. So far the chicks have even been aiming their "scoot" past the camera with great success - hope I've not tempted fate......... Just been watching the babes getting settled for the night with the poor mums finding it increasingly difficult to cover the chicks and keep them cosy, heads and wings sticking out all over the place [lol]

Moira
16-Jun-10, 21:38
I would agree wholeheartedly with that Nightowl. Apart from the short spell when the Loch Garten cameras were down a couple of weeks ago I've had no problems viewing the nest.

Iffy
17-Jun-10, 18:50
Well, just glad that nightowl and Moira are happy then !! :roll::roll:

nightowl
17-Jun-10, 22:52
OK Iffy, you win, but I think you should take responsibility for tempting fate by mentioning camera failure in the first place,:lol:. I'm off with my fingers crossed to the Loch of the Lowes..........

Margaret M.
20-Jun-10, 04:10
Very sad situation at the Loch of the Lowes osprey nest. I don't watch their webcam but when I checked the blog at Loch Garten's site today, they were talking about the sadness so I checked it out. The female osprey is in the process of dying on the nest. She has two chicks that they are hoping the male will now feed and take care of until they fledge. He has been feeding them today and momma bird has been trying to rise up without success. They think she will make it through the night but are hoping she will not suffer much longer. Like EJ, she was seemingly a lovely bird and took good care of her chicks throughout the years. She had a good long life -- 27 years but it is really difficult for the staff and those who have watched her through the years to see her unable to move now. Yet, if she had died away from the nest they would always wonder what happened to her.

EJ, Odin and the chicks are Loch Garten are doing great. Odin is supplying an abundance of fish.

nightowl
20-Jun-10, 22:35
I've been watching this off and on all day, Margaret. It has been heartrending, especially when the chicks cuddle into her as if all was normal. She has been quite active tonight, up on her feet and giving her wings a beat at one point. I only wish she would go for a bit of food when the Laird feeds the chicks, but nothing so far. It must take real fortitude from the team at Lowes, to back off from giving a helping hand as they must know her so well. I wonder what would have happened if the chicks had been younger and dad not so attentive, would they have intervined then. I remember the fish in the Tesco bag at Loch Garton a couple of years ago;).
I would love if against all odds, she rallied. Fingers crossed.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-10, 00:05
It sounds like another very sad scenario.:(

I have managed to stay away from it all this year and have not seen any of the video footage.:confused I think I am becoming a bit of a woos.

nightowl
21-Jun-10, 01:37
Not at all, Kevin, probably just very sensible. I vowed never to watch again after the tiny chick was starved until it died and then when Deshar flew into the Atlantic and was never heard of again, I double vowed. I think because last year was so successful, I couldn't help giving it another go and once you see that first chick hatch, well that was me hooked again. At least with the weather being so miserable, I dont feel too guilty about staying indoors watching events unfold:)

nightowl
21-Jun-10, 19:11
Well, how's that for a turnaround. After being virtually comatose with nothing to eat or drink since Saturday morning, the Lady of Loch Lowes has glided down to the loch for a drink and made it back to the nest - just as Peter the bird expert at Loch of the Lowes was telling us on the news that it would be quite a while before she could muster the strength to fly back. Miraculous or what, wildlife can certainly tell us a thing or two. Just a few hours ago they were discussing how to retrieve her body from the nest, sheesh!

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-10, 19:20
I am ever so tempted to have a peep, but no, it will end in tears.:~(

I have resisted the temptation up till now so I must stay resolute.

Margaret M.
21-Jun-10, 21:05
Well, how's that for a turnaround. After being virtually comatose with nothing to eat or drink since Saturday morning, the Lady of Loch Lowes has glided down to the loch for a drink and made it back to the nest - just as Peter the bird expert at Loch of the Lowes was telling us on the news that it would be quite a while before she could muster the strength to fly back. Miraculous or what, wildlife can certainly tell us a thing or two. Just a few hours ago they were discussing how to retrieve her body from the nest, sheesh!

Are you watching, Nightowl? I just checked on them and what an amazing sight. The female is on one side of the nest feeding a chick, be it ever so slowly, and the male brought in another fish and started feeding the other chick. Now both chicks have gone to dad and mom is getting a little to eat herself -- could she beat the odds? Fascinating!

nightowl
22-Jun-10, 11:18
Just missed that last night, Margaret. Great news. This morning all is normal. It's as if nothing happened.
Back at Loch Garton, the chicks are getting more enormous every day. Seem to spent lots of time "resting" taking little exercise. A bit like myself these days in front of this computer;)

Moira
02-Jul-10, 21:12
I've not had much time to follow the progress of the chicks this year.

From the blogs, which I try to check at least thrice a week, it would seem that the Loch Garten nest has surpassed all records. Oh my goodness, the chicks are so BIG! The "ringing" procedure is due to take place next week. No word of the "tagging" although I'm guessing they will do this at the same time. EJ & Odin reign supreme. :)

The Loch of the Lowes nest has enjoyed a remarkable recovery from the death throes of the mother a few weeks ago. I'd not followed that nest until it was highlighted here. What a fantastic turnaround! Two healthy chicks due for ringing but not tagging. Well done to the Lady & Lord of the Lowes. :)

Margaret M.
04-Jul-10, 16:23
I've not had much time to follow the progress of the chicks this year.

I'm with you, Moira, I just check a few times each week. The old girl at the Loch of Lowes is amazing, when she was unable to stand for a few days everyone was so sure she was a goner. She has exceeded expectations in every department. The chicks at both webcam nests are huge and healthy which is wonderful. Each nest having an excellent male provider has made a world of difference. They must put a serious dent in the trout/fish numbers in the surrounding areas.

nightowl
04-Jul-10, 18:47
Tagging and satellite attachment should happen this week coming at Loch Garton. As before, they will all be tagged and the older two will have antennae. Had to smile whilst reading the blog this morning - they are giving plenty of warning and explaining the procedures before hand, as, during the emergency last year when Odin had fishing line dangling, the team set fish from a Tesco bag into the nest. On seeing hands appear on the camera, apparently the phones at Loch Garton were inundated with calls from worried watchers, thinking the nest was being robbed!!
Anyone else think EJ's brood are all girls?
And, yes, the miracle at Loch of the Lowes is just amazing. I would not have believed if I hadn't witnessed it myself. I think the menfolk have to be congratulated for their fishing and childcare skills. Roll on next week - I'll be glued, better than tennis or the WC.

nightowl
08-Jul-10, 09:31
Well, I wonder if today will be the day. The wind has certainly calmed down and its bright and sunny. The chicks are lying about the nest as usual, without a clue about what may be happening to them later, all is peaceful. I got a bit edgy yesterday as the pictures from the webcam were a bit hit or miss so here's hoping the technology is up and running and the wind stays calm for a safe ascent. Good luck wishes to whoever has drawn the short straw and has to climb the ladder!

nightowl
08-Jul-10, 09:46
Over at Loch of the Lowes, things look very business like. The chicks are very lively and have already made a few "flappy" attempts at getting into the air. What a difference a couple of days make to their maturity at this stage. Maybe they grew up faster when mum was so poorly and things could have gone either way. So if you guys at Lowes intend "ringing" better get a move on;)
Good view of the unhatched egg today, so tiny. Can hardly believe its still there and still intact after all that has happened.
Mum not long back with some nesting material, what's that all about? Maybe she just can't resist picking it up - a bit like me at Tesco.

Moira
09-Jul-10, 22:38
Tagging and satellite attachment should happen this week coming at Loch Garton. <snip>

It would appear that nothing has gone to plan at Loch Garten. I'm guessing that Roy Dennis is a busy man and the weather conditions did not suit. Kinda like Caithess, wet, windy and cold......

I'd like to see all 3 chicks ringed - we have so much to learn from them. I've always had reservations about the satellite "back-packs" but I know I need to study this more. :)

nightowl
11-Jul-10, 00:26
So, its not to be, after all the waiting. The satellite tagging, like Moira, I was a wee bit dubious about, but the ringing would have been really informative. I suppose it means that in five or so years when the guys/gals come back to the same area looking for mates, they will be classed as anonymous, just like their dad. Cant see them going far wrong though, with the parenting skills of mum and fishing expertise of dad. Now on to the fledging........
One of the chicks at Lowes made that flight today!

Margaret M.
12-Jul-10, 01:50
Aye, leg rings are fine but I am quite happy just believing that they are flying freely and having a wonderful life. I do not like when they sew contraptions into their feathers and could have done without knowing about poor Deshar.

I see the posters are still fechting on the blogs over yonder. :)

nightowl
27-Jul-10, 08:33
Just having a wee look at the nests at Garton and Lowes. Both have mum sitting on her own. Looks quite sad really, when normally they've been so busy. Wont be long now till they are all off to Africa and looking at the weather again today, bet they canny wait!

Moira
14-Aug-10, 21:44
It's empty nest syndrome again. No backpacks for the chicks this year - not even leg-rings. I would have liked the leg-rings.....

Margaret M.
29-Aug-10, 02:33
It's empty nest syndrome again. No backpacks for the chicks this year - not even leg-rings. I would have liked the leg-rings.....

I haven't checked on them in a while and yep, it seems they have all headed south. There is a debate on Saturday's Loch Garten blog about the benefits/detriments of the satellite tags. One guy, Mac, from a bird rescue center is adamantly opposed to them. I agree with you, Moira, leg rings would have been nice but I am glad that they escaped without being saddled with trackers.

nightowl
29-Aug-10, 14:12
I agree, Margaret. On reflection, the satellite tags have meant nothing but heartache. Its a big bad world out there for the newly fledged but following them on a daily basis until they met their demise was more than I could bear at times. Wont do it again. Tagging is different, and effective if it means birds lost to the elements are reported back and when they do return next year, we know exactly who they are. I'll never be convinced that the sat harnesses did not interfere with some aspect of their migration. In the meantime good luck to all the chicks. They were all so strong, I'm sure a few will be returning in the next few years.

nightowl
18-Mar-11, 23:14
A wee message from RSPB on Facebook - the camera is up and running at Loch Garton ready for the return of the Ospreys. Apparently they are due to arrive around the 25th March but could appear any day now. Wonder what this year will bring!

Moira
18-Mar-11, 23:28
Are you psychic nightowl? I was thinking about having a look at the RSPB Loch Garten website earlier today. :)

It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since the dramas of last year were unfolding and now it's all about to start over again. There's no point in me saying I won't be drawn into it this year because I will, I can't stop myself! So let's hope for a successful (and peaceful) breeding season at LG. :D

Moira
18-Mar-11, 23:38
Here's the link to the Webcam for anyone new to this thread, to save searching back.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/birdsofprey/lochgartenvideo.aspx

nightowl
19-Mar-11, 00:53
Oh no Moira, not you too lol.

I use Bill's links at the top of this page for quickness. Here we go then...........

Moira
19-Mar-11, 01:17
Yes, nightowl, me too - there's no point in denying it. I was amused by the comment at the end of the most recent blog on the LG website.
"So folks, you have precisely one week to catch up on your housework, do any DIY and say goodbye to your social life before the rollercoaster ride starts again!! "

And yes, I do find Bill's "sticky" at the top of the forum handy for all the links. I use it too. :)

Margaret M.
20-Mar-11, 04:41
Here's the link to the Webcam for anyone new to this thread, to save searching back.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/birdsofprey/lochgartenvideo.aspx

Nothing like making it easier for the addicts. :) I will be very surprised if the old female makes it back to Loch of the Lowes.

nightowl
20-Mar-11, 11:03
Me too, Margaret. I still find it hard to believe the events that unfolded in Lowes last year. What a tribute to motherhood.

nightowl
24-Mar-11, 15:28
Well somebody's just arrived at Loch Garton, complete with lunch, thank you! Had to turn away though - the head is well eaten and the tail is still flapping. Gruesome, I dont think I could ever kill my own food, I'd just have to be a veggie...........
Just waiting to have it confirmed that she is EJ.

Margaret M.
25-Mar-11, 04:00
Just waiting to have it confirmed that she is EJ.

Amazing, let's hope Odin makes it back safely too!

nightowl
28-Mar-11, 18:40
There's a bird on the nest at Loch of the Lowes. could it be the Lady. If so, I'm totally amazed - to Africa and back, at her age and having been so unwell. WOW what a lady. Still waiting for confirmation though.

Just heard on the news, it is indeed Lady. Twenty six and still going strong.............

WeeBurd
02-Apr-11, 20:28
Amazing, let's hope Odin makes it back safely too!

He's back, Margaret! I came in tonight at about 19:50 and flicked on the webcam - there he was, sitting in the nest. Within a few moments EJ joined him too. Awwww... so delighted to see them both together again! :-)

nightowl
02-Apr-11, 23:35
Did you see how he got right into tidying up the house? What a new man, eh, bird , he is. Looking forward to watching their antics again this year.
Has there been any sign of Lady's mate in Lowes yet?

Margaret M.
03-Apr-11, 00:14
I'm glad you both posted an update -- I didn't have a chance to check today and the nest is dark now. I am shocked that Lady survived the trip off and back, she is one tough bird! I love that Odin is back, a lovely wee fellow who knows how to provide for his family. I hope all the news this breeding season is good.

nightowl
03-Apr-11, 20:23
Now I can relax - Lady's mate has arrived back in Loch of the Lowes, been accepted, and been down to business. All is well with the world.

Moira
08-Apr-11, 21:33
Thanks to all your updates here, I'm catching up. Some of the bloggers have uploaded fabulous clips over the past week. :)

Kenn
08-Apr-11, 23:58
He he add us to the fanatics, will be very interesting to see if the old lady at Loch Garten manages to raise another brood. If she does she should get some sort of honour methinks.

Moira
09-Apr-11, 00:36
Hi Lizz

EJ at the Loch Garten nest is a youngster compared to Lady at Loch of the Lowes. Both EJ
& Lady have now returned to their respective nests and it looks to be an exciting season ahead at both nesting sites.

Welcome aboard Lizz - hang onto your seat!

WeeBurd
13-Apr-11, 23:08
I see Lady has laid her first egg today, yay! What a remarkable wifie she is too... apparently, if this egg hatches, it'll be her 49th chick - what a star!

EJ & Odin were certainly late on the nest tonight too - she left about 9ish with a fish he had just brought for supper. He stayed 'til about 9:15, re-scrapping the nest cup before disappearing... I've still got the cam on in the hope she might appear back, but I suspect it'll be the morning before there's any action now :-(

nightowl
23-Apr-11, 06:50
OMG, I go away for a week or so and come back to three eggs at LG and three at LOTL. They've certainly been busy. Hope the weather is kinder to them this year, and all goes to plan.

WeeBurd
20-May-11, 21:18
EJ & Odin's first chick has hatched... last night around 10:10pm apparently, I'm gutted that I missed it. Still, it's snuggged up under her tummy just now, chirping away. She's looking mighty restless too - could we get another one tonight? :-)

nightowl
21-May-11, 10:06
Lovely to hear the hatchings are beginning.
Sad news from Manton Bay, though. The male has been missing for over a week now, feared dead. Thank goodness the team there have obtained a licence to intervene and feed the family in hopes that mum may raise at least one chick.
Why should the family suffer, especially if the male has been shot and not just died in an accident. Probably never know.......

cherokee
21-May-11, 17:15
Sad news from Manton Bay, though. The male has been missing for over a week now, feared dead. Thank goodness the team there have obtained a licence to intervene and feed the family in hopes that mum may raise at least one chick.
Why should the family suffer, especially if the male has been shot and not just died in an accident. Probably never know.......

Is that the "Rutlands" ospreys, nightowl? I often pop into the Loch Garten and Loch of the Lowes web-cams, but haven't been onto the Rutlands one.

Hate to think of any creature suffering, so I popped into the Rutlands cam, and........there are two adult ospreys on the nest just now !!

I pray that this means the male has returned..or possibly I've missed something ?

cherokee
21-May-11, 17:20
Ahhhh! :(

I've just now, read the full "Blog" and realise that the other adult osprey must be one of the chicks from 2009 !

What ashame that something has obviously happened to the adult male, so sad....:(:(

WeeBurd
24-May-11, 14:51
And another chick for EJ and Odin, hatched mid-morning today. I'm hoping the third egg hatches before I get down to visit this weekend, but it's not looking good :-(

nightowl
25-May-11, 11:22
There seems to be a bit of speculation at Loch Garton, whether the second hatching may be the third egg and that the second egg may have failed. Two is a good number, though, with less chance of a wee tail end one losing out. Having said that, I don't think Odin would let that happen. He's already proving himself by providing plenty fish.
BTW, WeeBurd, green with envy here, enjoy your visit to LG, hope the weather holds out and you get lots of photos.

Moira
27-May-11, 20:12
I've not had much time online recently so am grateful to you all for your updates. I'm having a problem with the Loch Garten website. It takes ages to load and the quick links to the wardens' blogs which used to appear on the right-hand side are no longer there. :(

WeeBurd, I'm also envious about your proposed visit to LG. Hope all goes well, pass on our best regards to everyone at the Centre. Please take lots of photos and share them here along with your thoughts on your trip. :)

nightowl
25-Jun-11, 22:44
While it's been great watching the chicks at Loch Garton getting bigger every day, I can't help feeling a tinge of sadness when I look in at Loch of the Lowes and see the Lady sitting faithfully incubating eggs which will never hatch. I have read that when this happens, the pair usually start an early migration. But in the meantime they are sitting on and turning the eggs routinely. Even more sad when, due to her great age, this may be her last clutch. Will there ever be a year without some sort of angst??

nightowl
01-Jul-11, 15:18
Well that's the chicks at Loch Garton successfully ringed, tagged and named. A girl,Tore, and a boy, Bynack. I missed it all so hope someone on the blog caught it on video.

Moira
02-Jul-11, 23:51
Oh well Nightowl, I missed it as well.

I visited Loch Garten this week and did ask about the ringing/tagging. The answers I received assured me that the folk at the RSPB site are really passionate about these birds and their survival.

EJ took off from the nest while I was there. It was fantastic to witness her short flight and also observe the chicks on the nest on the Webcam. Odin didn't appear during my short visit. I'm guessing Odin was off looking for a fish supper. ;)

Moira
02-Jul-11, 23:54
While it's been great watching the chicks at Loch Garton getting bigger every day, I can't help feeling a tinge of sadness when I look in at Loch of the Lowes and see the Lady sitting faithfully incubating eggs which will never hatch. I have read that when this happens, the pair usually start an early migration. But in the meantime they are sitting on and turning the eggs routinely. Even more sad when, due to her great age, this may be her last clutch. Will there ever be a year without some sort of angst??

I share your sadness :(

nightowl
10-Jul-11, 15:28
Fledging any day now at Loch Garton. Both chicks look big and strong so fingers crossed they get a good start to their migration.
I see at LOTL they removed the unhatched eggs a few days ago and sent them for examination. I wonder if they can tell if they were fertilized or not?
Soon be time to come out of the hide and pack the binoculars away for another year............:)

cherokee
13-Jul-11, 21:23
Oh, WOW !!! What a privilege to actually watch (live) one of the osprey chicks take flight (again) out of the nest !!! (time approx 9.18pm Wed evening)

I am imagining this would be Tore doing her second flight as the other chick, who I think is Bynack looking quite upset at "losing" his sibling (albeit for a short while !) ......

Anyways I'm sure the guys/gals at the site will keep us up to date very soon !!!

cherokee
13-Jul-11, 21:45
Awwwww that's almost heart-breaking !!!!
If that was Tore that I saw "lift-off" nearly 1/2 an hour ago; then poor Bynack just seems so desolate and lonely trying to "coorie-in" on the nest all on his own for the night !!

And, yes, I realise they're birds and that they do not have the same concept of "loneliness" as us humans do; but its still hard to watch it with thinking that way.

OK, going to stop watching it for tonight and hope that Tore comes back to keep her bro company for at least one more night together....

nightowl
27-Jul-11, 00:04
The Loch Garton youngsters are huge. I can only tell them apart from their parents by spying their leg rings.
I have to smile at Bynack though - is it not typical of sons, still coming home to mum for a home cooked meal and to be waited on hand and foot. I suppose he is a few days younger and that probably means a lot in Osprey growing up:)

At LOTL the eggs have been examined and they all failed early on - no signs of infection. Proper results in a few months. Mum and dad are still around and keeping the nest neat and tidy. Won't be long now till they are all off on their African adventure. Not a bad idea considering the weather we have had recently!!

Moira
04-Feb-12, 00:12
Was disappointed to hear via MFR today that Bynack is "missing in action" .

I'm not following the RSPB forums these days. Would appreciate an update from someone who is, thanks.....

nightowl
04-Feb-12, 17:00
Me too, Moira. That's been two weeks now since he has been static. They say at LG that there's always a distant hope the transmitter has fallen off or malfunctioned. Fingers crossed.

Just when we are ready to embark on another years viewing too! I wonder whether I will be so intense this year. I found LOTL almost too much to bear last year.

Time will tell.........

Moira
04-Feb-12, 22:58
Thanks Nightowl, I did have a look at the Loch Garten website today which, despite their assurances, confirmed my fears. Ding, dang satellite tags!

I doubt I'll follow either of the sites online this year but I'll certainly try to visit the Loch Garten site again in person.

As you say, time will tell .........

WeeBurd
12-Mar-12, 00:30
A wee note to say they're starting to move -Beatrice (follow her at Roy Dennis's site) is in France already.Just waiting for my personal favourite (because I'm convinced I spotted her in the wilds last year!), Morven, to hit the migratory trail home. And hopefully EJ and Odin will both return to LG this year. Arrggghh, I don't think I can contain my excitement at the prospect of the coming season, lol!

WeeBurd
12-Mar-12, 10:57
Re: Bynack. Just incase you were not aware, a team carried out a ground search at the final location of the transmitter. It is an area of low bushy scrubland, and those involved felt sure that, had Bynack come to his end in this place, there would be clearly visible signs (i.e. feathers & bones) caught in the scrub. There was nothing at all. This should be taken as a positive thing, there is every chance that perhaps his transmitter had gotten caught, and he had managed to free himself, leaving the transmitter behind (apparently, at the size of a matchbox, it would be virtually impossible to find at the location). Who knows, he may re-appear in 2013. I do hope so :-)

nightowl
14-Mar-12, 16:30
Wee message on Facebook today. The RSPB osprey webcams will go live next week. I expect the others will soon follow.
No doubt I'll be drawn in to the rollercoaster as happens every year.

That's good news, WeeBurd, about Bynack. I'd much rather imagine there's been a technical fault and not a disaster.

Can't help wondering if the female from LOTL will make it back this year. Well, looks like it won't be long till we all know...........

WeeBurd
14-Mar-12, 18:45
Yup. And news today, that my beloved Morven is on her way too - I could positively burst with excitement, lol! :lol:

Kevin Milkins
15-Mar-12, 05:24
I gave myself a year off from it all last year,(I found the heartache to much.) but I may join in again this time.

Peek-a-Boo
15-Mar-12, 21:25
We visit Loch Garten several times a year. It's a wonderful place. To be able to sit in the comfort of your home and watch the opsrey webcam is very addictive. :)

nightowl
18-Mar-12, 20:42
I really envy all you folks who have visited LG. I will most probably be one of the ones addicted to the webcams as usual.

Peek-a-Boo, despite all my protests of not entering into the swing because of all the angst to come, once that first bird lands on the nest, the rest is history.

Bet you'll be there too Kevin.............

Moira
19-Mar-12, 00:25
I really envy all you folks who have visited LG. I will most probably be one of the ones addicted to the webcams as usual.

Peek-a-Boo, despite all my protests of not entering into the swing because of all the angst to come, once that first bird lands on the nest, the rest is history.

Bet you'll be there too Kevin.............

You must see it for yourself nightowl. I was moving from one set of binoculars to the other like a bairn in a toy factory......

I will probably do the same this year. :)

WeeBurd
21-Mar-12, 21:48
Arrrghhhh! Looks like the lady herself has surprised us all by arriving back über early, at 5:07pm today?!?!? And to illustrate my excitement, when I found out a wee minute ago, I just had to go in an stir the WeeBurdies from their slumber to let them know too, hahahaha! And so it begins... ;-)

nightowl
22-Mar-12, 00:11
The webcam is a wee bit disappointing though, I hope they can improve the size and clarity. I thought LG were getting a new set up this year.

Just watched a wee bit of film on You tube as EJ returned to the nest. What a cheer from the family!

Well that's my seat booked for the next few weeks :)

Moira
22-Mar-12, 00:26
Woo Hoo! Thanks WeeBurd & nightowl for the alert.

Here's the YouTube link :-
www.youtube.com/watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch)

Fasten your seatbelts once again folks! :D

nightowl
30-Mar-12, 13:30
Just heard the best news. Lady is back at LOTL. This will be her 22nd year! She arrived this morning and already has a new young man. He's been back three times and is now more than just an

acquaintance.

EJ also has a new suitor and possible new father for her chicks. Poor Odin, if he arrives now, will have a scrap on his hands.

Looks like an interesting time ahead. Can't wait!!

Moira
31-Mar-12, 17:34
Interesting times ahead indeed Nightowl....

I like your phrase "...is now more than just an acquaintance." Very diplomatic lol.

I caught up with the Loch Garten blogs today. Personally I think EJ is a bit of a hussy but no doubt Richard Thaxton would accuse me of humanising the ospreys.... :lol:

WeeBurd
01-Apr-12, 16:10
I'm delighted to see the man we've all been waiting for is back! And, like the handsome Prince Charming that he is, he appears to have already seen off Blue, brought a gourmet meal for the Mrs, and is getting straight to work on the house (just watched him scrapping out the next cup a wee moment ago). Love it.

The sound has been down all day, so I've been watching this pan out, having to guess what kind of mid-air scrapping has been going on purely by following EJ's eyes, lol. I haven't even left the house yet - too afraid I'd miss something, hahaha!

Welcome back, handsome Odin!

Now, here's hoping I see them both on Thursday when we squeeze in our first visit of the season. I canna wait!:D

nightowl
01-Apr-12, 17:08
That's great news, WeeBurd.

What's EJ like though, more than happy to have Blue's attention, then at the drop of a hat or feather, gives him the cold shoulder as soon as Odin puts in an appearance. Glad to hear that his own nest

has been reinforced so he can now go back and "innocently" await his mate of many years. Wonder if he will confess............. There I go, I'm just as bad as you Moira. Richard Thaxton would have a

field day with the pair of us. Please don't tell him WeeBurd:lol:, have a great day on Thursday.

WeeBurd
01-Apr-12, 19:17
Lol, nightowl!

Moira
08-Apr-12, 22:02
You two are worse than me lol!

I'm dying for Weeburd's "bird-eye view" report.

Calling Weeburd.......

WeeBurd
09-Apr-12, 00:14
Sorry, folks, I was in a world of my own, lol!

Well we never got to see EJ on Thursday, as she was apparently playing away with Blue, (see Roy Dennis's blog) however, we finally got to see Odin- and what a magnificent sight he was! He was scrapping away at the nest cup, you could see the dirt fly through the binocs, lol! Then he moved into the camera tree, and perched there for 30mins or so, just staring right back at the hide- bless, I think he was a wee bit lost without his Mrs! After leaving, we sat back in the car having some grub, when MrBurd shouted "Osprey!", and there was Odin, giving us a flyover, right above the carpark -spectacular. Delighted that even the WeeBurdies got the chance to see the nest and Odin, they were over the moon.

To top off an amazing day, whilst returning north, we spotted a male osprey roosting - we've only seen osprey's in the wild (i.e. away from Loch Garten, LoTL etc.) a handful of times, so it was a huge thrill for all of us! Can't wait to check the same spot tomorrow, just in case we see him again! :-)

nightowl
09-Apr-12, 00:31
Sounds like a good time was had by all.
Just noticed in Roy Dennis's report that Blue's mate is back at her nest with himself and that EJ has finally settled with Odin so all is, at last, right in the world.
Now for the eggs and chicks and the age old question "who's the daddy"??:confused

nightowl
09-Apr-12, 20:32
First egg at Loch Garton. Is the timing too tight for it to be Odin's? Maybe experts on here will know.

starfish
09-Apr-12, 20:44
is the web cam up and running if so whats the link

WeeBurd
09-Apr-12, 23:31
First egg at Loch Garton. Is the timing too tight for it to be Odin's? Maybe experts on here will know.I suspect this one is Blue's, nightowl, I think the general consensus is 12 days to produce an egg, Odin only got back on the 1st. Might be lucky with any subsequent eggs though... :-)Just to add, on our travels today, we spotted a pair of ospreys roosting in neighbouring trees. To quote Wee-estBurdie: "Awesome!" :-D

Moira
10-Apr-12, 16:59
is the web cam up and running if so whats the link

Here's the link Starfish. It comes with a warning though, be prepared to become addicted.... Enjoy. :D

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l/lochgarten/abernethyvideo.aspx

Thanks for the updates WeeBurd, it is indeed amazing to see these birds in the flesh (or is that feathers...)

starfish
10-Apr-12, 18:18
thanks moria

nightowl
10-Apr-12, 23:42
Starfish, there are a few links to webcams in the thread above this. As the babies arrive, you will become hooked.;)

nightowl
12-Apr-12, 00:39
And the first egg at LOTW tonight. Things seem to be moving on apace.

nightowl
28-May-12, 09:59
Wow, such a lot has happened since I've been away. There are three healthy chicks at Loch Garton. The pictures seem a lot clearer from there, just now. One at Loch of the Lowes, with two more to hatch. The second one is now a wee bit late so there are doubts whether it will hatch at all. I'm glad for Lady, though, that at least she has one chick after the heartache last year. There are two wee wobblers at Manton Bay.
Good news about the Springwatch webcams being back on line. The picture quality is excellent as usual.
And a bit of sad news too with the suspected demise of both Tore and Bynack. I still don't know how I feel about the satellite tracking. I know the data must be invaluable to the experts but with just the ringing, there's always the chance that the chicks may turn up in the future. I suppose it's just a "head in the sand attitude" but I'd much rather believe they were still out there somewhere. It's sometimes a bit raw to realise how harsh nature can be.
Now I'm off to see what the peregrines are up to!! :)

Margaret M.
17-Jun-12, 14:52
I read on Facebook that the baby osprey died. I'm sure glad I weaned myself from the camera I could not bear to watch the bullying/starvation again. Now if they would only stop tagging these lovely birds..too many tagged birds have disappeared for it to be a coincidence.

Moira
18-Jun-12, 01:03
I've been dipping in and out but not following the Osprey nests so frequently this year.

I'm relying on you, nightowl and WeeBurd to report on the best and worst as it happens......

Changing plans mean that I'm not even convinced I'll be able to visit the Loch Garten site in person this year. Gutted!

Margaret M.
19-Jun-12, 03:46
Changing plans mean that I'm not even convinced I'll be able to visit the Loch Garten site in person this year. Gutted!

I would like to visit -- hoping I may get a day when I'm over this year.

nightowl
20-Jun-12, 11:09
I think this may be my last year of avid osprey watching and in future, like you Moira, will just dip in now and again.
The whole situation at Loch Garton has been sad and quite disappointing for me this year.For a start, the camera is so badly positioned. At the beginning the quality was so poor but even now that the picture quality has improved, much of the nest is out of view and at the moment obliterated by “scoot”. Maybe repositioning the camera to look down on the whole nest and out of the way of flying “poop” would improve matters greatly. It seems Loch Garton has been greatly let down by their computer providers, especially as this nest is deemed to have “showcase” status.
The bullying and subsequent death of the smallest chick is something I'll never come to terms with.:(
I always find it difficult to understand, in general, how wildlife experts and photographers can stand by and watch an animal suffer and die when much of the time they could be easily rescued and saved or humanely euthanised. What possible difference would it make to the whole scale of things if a baby elephant is saved from drowning or an antelope with massive injuries is euthanised humanely, or even if a baby osprey is taken from the nest and saved a short life of bullying and starvation. Intervention goes on all the time, ringing and tagging, for example, and even feeding one year when the male appeared injured and unable to bring food for the chicks. If there is then some genetic reason for the chick being abandoned and ill treated, then a quick painless death would surely be more acceptable.
I have tried to keep up with events on the Loch Garton blog and although on the whole,compared to the Org, the spelling and grammar is better ;), I found the pettiness and bickering there too much to bear, so have abandoned that too!! What a rant!
On the upside, the nest at Loch of the Lowes is a peaceful haven, with both parents dancing in attendance to a single, plump and huge chick. What a fantastic achievement for such a grand old lady. They must be so proud of her.
Having gotten all of that off my chest, I really hope all the remaining chicks do well, fledge successfully and make that epic journey to Africa and hopefully back in a few years time.:)

Kevin Milkins
20-Jun-12, 17:21
I keep thinking about dipping my toe in the water again, but I also find nature close up a bit raw.

I do intend to go down to Loch Garton though and have a look at close hand.

Moira
20-Jun-12, 21:43
I would like to visit -- hoping I may get a day when I'm over this year.

I hope you manage this Margaret M. You will thoroughly enjoy it, I guarantee. My time was limited, as always, so I was like a bairn in a sweetie shop, running around trying to take it all in.

I think this may be my last year of avid osprey watching and in future, like you Moira, will just dip in now and again.
The whole situation at Loch Garton has been sad and quite disappointing for me this year.For a start, the camera is so badly positioned. ........
<snip>
I really hope all the remaining chicks do well, fledge successfully and make that epic journey to Africa and hopefully back in a few years time.:)

I couldn't agree more, here's hoping...... :)

I keep thinking about dipping my toe in the water again, but I also find nature close up a bit raw.

I do intend to go down to Loch Garton though and have a look at close hand.

Kevin, I think it may be pretty safe to log back in and watch the Loch Garten Live Webcam now.

I've not been viewing the live Webcam much this year but logged on yesterday to read the Blog written by the Wardens. ....."Thriving nest, 2 chicks doing well, despite poor weather and limited fishing opportunities........"

There was a third chick but apparently it was battered to death by its siblings. Selfishly, I'm glad I did not witness this. I rather think that Nightowl maybe followed the nest more closely than I did this year.

I do empathise with the Loch Garten staff even though I can't agree with all their decisions. I hope they just ring the chicks this year and not satellite tag them. Too many chicks with the Sat-Tags have crashed & disappeared. :(

Moira
03-Jul-12, 22:05
The ringing and sat-tagging of both chicks has taken place. Ive not followed all the drama on the nest this year. By all accounts I'm glad. All best to the latest Loch Garten chicks when they fledge,,,,

Doolally
07-Jul-12, 15:08
I was down at the centre this week. Great place and well worth a visit. The staff are really helpful too and will answer any questions you have.

Nature can be rough but survival of the fittest is the natural way.

The chicks should be trying out their wings any day now!

nightowl
15-Jul-12, 23:23
I'm just back after a couple of weeks in Glasgow, where it rained every day, to find both girls, Cally and Alba, at Loch Garton have fledged successfully. At LOTL, the "blue boy" has been doing enormous leaps in the air so it appears that it won't be too long till he joins them in the air. Then it's off to Africa for a well earned break in the sun for them all. Unfortunately, it rained off and on all day today - St Swithin's Day - so the next forty days don't look too hopeful. If I were them, I'd take an early flight and leave this soggy part of the world ASAP. Good luck to them all.