PDA

View Full Version : Brickwall

efoulis
26-Apr-08, 13:38
Please can soneone help me find the Parents of Joseph Bain b c 1800, I found a Baptisim on Scotlands People for a Joseph b1800 which i believe is my Joseph, it states that he was born out of wedlock and his father is named as "Joseph Bain late at Clyth . What could late at Clyth mean?.

Joseph married Helen Bremner in 1829 in Thrumster and i have found 10 children for them. Joseph was a meal miller and died 1877 in Pulterytown and on his death cert it states that his parents were George Bain and Jane Begg, this is my brickwall , I have searched Scotland people to find a Joseph Bain born to a George Bain and Jane Begg but the only Joseph Bain born around that time was the one i have as the father being Joseph Bain.

On the 1841 census Joseph and his family were at stirkoke 83 , can someone tell me where and what this was?

tannach hill
26-Apr-08, 18:39
I am not sure whether I can help a lot but I have quite a bit on the family of your George Bain who married Margaret Keith
His brother John married Janet Keith who was a sister to Margaret.
They were brothers to Alexander Bain of Watten who invented the electric clock among other things. There was a big family
Elizabeth 1801
Barbara 1804
(They married brothers William and Hugh Sutherland )
Peter 1807
William 1808
Alexander and Margaret (Twins) 1810
John 1812
George 1814
Elizabeth (Bessy) 1816
Isabella 1818
David 1820
Joseph 1823

Their parents were John Bain b approx 1775 and Isabella Waiter (or Waters) from Halkirk b approx 1785

efoulis
26-Apr-08, 19:07
You are treasure and thank you so much for this as i know nothing about George Bain & Margaret Keith. This all helps.

beelag2000
26-Apr-08, 19:22
Hi
I reckon that "late of Clyth" means he previously had lived in Clyth.
Clyth is a scattered community approx 5- 6 miles south of Wick.
Stirkoke is a scattered community approx 3 -4 miles west of Wick.
If you follow the attached link, go to "Get a map now" click on Wick and follow the A99 south you will come to Clyth and Mid-Clyth. From Wick if you go west on the A882 you will see Stirkoke House. http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/#terms
Hope this helps