PDA

View Full Version : Routes

shazzap
26-Apr-08, 13:28
Which road is the best to travel on from Wick to Thurso.
Which one has the least hills.
Thank you.

dandod
26-Apr-08, 13:38
they both have some hills but i would say the castletown road.but i imagine most cars should be alright on either roads:eek:

Bobinovich
26-Apr-08, 13:41
The flattest is probably via Watten, but there's not a lot in it - and I'm guessing you're planning travelling by bike if you're concerned about hills!

As far as driving is concerned, if you go via Castletown there are 4 speed restricted areas (Reiss, Bower, Castletown & Murkle) to the Watten road's one (Watten itself), so I'd plump for the latter route when driving too.

Fran
26-Apr-08, 17:06
The Castletown road is the safest according to the police.

silverfox57
26-Apr-08, 20:25
the watten road to thurso would get my vote, for driving has less bends.

SNOWDOG
27-Apr-08, 08:39
The Watten road is best for a progressive drive as it has less bends and a series of long straights.

shazzap
27-Apr-08, 11:26
Thanks everyone, Some relatives are coming out this way.
When i came up i was'nt driving but seem to remember,

( was tired been traveling 15 hours).

There was a part of the road where it was very steep and had quite a few bends, also crash sand pits or whatever you call them.

Which section is this does anyone know where i mean?

shin chan
27-Apr-08, 11:33
You are probably taking about Berridale on the A9 it has steep hills and there are Escape Lanes on the south side of Berridale

Riffman
28-Apr-08, 00:32
A slightly puzzling question?

Wick and Thurso remain at the same elevation which ever road you take. Therefore you will go up and down the same amount, but just with different gradients.

The gravel pits are on Berridale Braes.