PDA

View Full Version : Cricket season in Scotland!

mostlyharmless
25-Apr-08, 23:00
So the season begins ....... does Caithness have a cricket team if so where is it? If not maybe the org should form one to play at the most Northerly village in the British mainland! We could invite village teams from around the isles for the privilege! We may get at least a couple of dry days to play...

Metalattakk
25-Apr-08, 23:13
http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=37 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=37)

Caithness Cricket Association, found by a quick search on www.google.co.uk (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.google.co.uk). Really, it's not difficult...:roll:

And anyway, where is this 'most northerly village' you speak so condescendingly about?

mostlyharmless
25-Apr-08, 23:18
Well done you managed to answer my question and insult me twice..lovely must rush to put something on here again sometime.

Metalattakk
25-Apr-08, 23:24
Why thank you. :lol:

The quality of the answer is surely defined by the quality of the question, no? ;)

christina
25-Apr-08, 23:33
there used to be a cricket team in thurso based at the viewfirth playing fields but not seen them there for a while:~(

mostlyharmless
25-Apr-08, 23:37
your so right...hang on let me just google a minute hold on no I have it yes your right I should just google...yes I've googled and it seems your reply there was condescending but then of course if you'd googled you would have known that already and so your reply was pointless other than to condescend.
Finally heres the answer you came down from a lofty height to answer my question to remind me of my ignorant condescension.

Really I just wanted a game of cricket and hoped there may be interest here
I can google anytime ...I thought discussion was what a forum was for....................come back don't google that too!

Metalattakk
25-Apr-08, 23:46
Finally heres the answer you came down from a lofty height to answer my question to remind me of my ignorant condescension.

Yeah, well, classifying Caithness as a 'village' smacks of extreme ignorance to me. Hey ho, shoot me.

Really I just wanted a game of cricket and hoped there may be interest here

There may well be interest here. But you won't find it by being condescending and aloof when posing your question.

Tell you what, give me a shout when you find a team. I'll happily join you for a wee shottie of 'Rounders-In-A-Straight-Line'. ;)

dandod
25-Apr-08, 23:53
i did not see anything in mostly harmless post to suggest caithness is a village.instead of picking on people on here,why dont you go and sit in a corner and pick your nose instead.[lol]

DeHaviLand
25-Apr-08, 23:58
http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=37 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=37)

Caithness Cricket Association, found by a quick search on www.google.co.uk (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.google.co.uk). Really, it's not difficult...

And anyway, where is this 'most northerly village' you speak so condescendingly about?

Oh, very well answered indeed. You are really showing your class now[disgust]. Welcome to the world, would you like to get on?:roll:

Metalattakk
25-Apr-08, 23:59
Dandod, I don't particularly care for your opinion (for that's all it is).
But I will defend your right to post it, to the death! :D

DeHaviLand
26-Apr-08, 00:01
Yeah, well, classifying Caithness as a 'village' smacks of extreme ignorance to me. Hey ho, shoot me.

I hate queues, but I could make an exception:mad:

dandod
26-Apr-08, 00:04
I hate queues, but I could make an exception:mad:

we could be in that queue for quite a while![lol]

mostlyharmless
26-Apr-08, 00:09
My first question...
Does Caithness have a cricket team? Simple no hidden agenda, I'll go anywhere to play in Caithness. I don't know if there are teams in say Watten Halkirk or Thrumster or whether its just in towns I don't know [I'm ignorant so I asked a question...]

I've seen no cricket in Caithness so hoped maybe a few orgers would want to play... no..no .no hidden agenda there.

Village cricket is played right across the British Isles, and many will travel anywhere just to say they've played in a certain village [like the most northerly one for example][Scarfskerry or Brough depending on what you read]
No wasn't saying Caithness was a village no definetely not.

And finally for those that thought I may be mad to suggest it I recognised how much rain we've had this year...

I've lived here 5 years and love it I was not belittling a place you so obviously feel protective towards, yep with my aloof superiority and your condescension
we'll reach great heights as a team.

Metalattakk
26-Apr-08, 00:12
I hate queues, but I could make an exception

Two attempts at flaming now? Seriously, I thought you were better than that, DH. [lol]

Anyway, in accordance with the rules, please stick to the Original Topic. :D

dandod
26-Apr-08, 00:12
My first question...
Does Caithness have a cricket team? Simple no hidden agenda, I'll go anywhere to play in Caithness. I don't know if there are teams in say Watten Halkirk or Thrumster or whether its just in towns I don't know [I'm ignorant so I asked a question...]

I've seen no cricket in Caithness so hoped maybe a few orgers would want to play... no..no .no hidden agenda there.

Village cricket is played right across the British Isles, and many will travel anywhere just to say they've played in a certain village [like the most northerly one for example][Scarfskerry or Brough depending on what you read]

And finally for those that thought I may be mad to suggest it I recognised how much rain we've had this year...

I've lived here 5 years and love it I was not belittling a place you so obviously feel protective towards, yep with my aloof superiority and your condescension

there is no need for you to justify the reason you are asking the question or what you have said because of the comments of one small minded nit picker.good luck hope you get somewhere with it.

the_count
26-Apr-08, 00:15
Cricket ... this far north OMG it seems they do lol ok where do they play/practice etc etc and when do they bring out the cucumber sandwiches :lol:

Metalattakk
26-Apr-08, 00:22
My first question...

And the answer is 'yes', as I stated. Mind you, I don't know how active they are these days. Numbers were quite short the last time I was aware.

Seriously, even though I'm past my best athletic years, I'd like to have a go. I reckon I'd be able to at least defend a wicket.

OK, fair enough explanation, but surely you can see my angst at your classification of Caithness as no more than a village?

LOL! I can't see how that wouldn't work!! :D

mostlyharmless
26-Apr-08, 00:24
One of the last matches I played was in Cornwall it was blowing a gale and the temperature was close to zero, when the ball hit your hands it felt like your fingers would snap off. However cucumber sandwiches were served... .with soup..very hot soup!

Metalattakk
26-Apr-08, 00:25
Cricket ... this far north OMG it seems they do lol ok where do they play/practice etc etc and when do they bring out the cucumber sandwiches :lol:

There are more amateur Cricket Clubs in Scotland (per head of population) than there are in England.

*waits for the usual accusatory responses*

mostlyharmless
26-Apr-08, 00:50
Excellent, that brings us sweetly back to my original question.
So I have recruited one past their athletic best person, who would like to play anyone else? Please let it be easier!

Whitewater
26-Apr-08, 00:57
Cricket is wonderful, every time I feel tired I look for a good cricket match on the TV and I'm sound asleep after a few minutes. Same thing happens when I watch it live. But I really like it, it's so relaxing, I've even paid the entrance fee at 'Lords' to get a really good sleep.

George Brims
26-Apr-08, 01:49
I did once attend a (minor) country cricket game, where I found out why it's popular. If you go with a club member, you get to sit in a deck chair in the sun in front of the clubhouse, and every now and again a nice mannie comes round and asks if you need another beer. Meanwhile around you, old codgers will stir occasionally from their sun and alcohol induced slumber to pontificate authoritatively on the progress of the game and the standard of the play (the latter, mostly not as good as "in my day"). Then they drop off again, and a few minutes later another one will do it. It's a bit like those big sea lions when they stir on the beach. A bit of huffing and puffing for a wee while, and then everybody settles down. The game itself was an utter bore once the couple of decent fast bowlers on each side got tired.

Sapphire2803
26-Apr-08, 10:28
Well.... If someone arranges a local game I'll certainly go along to watch. I can't stand cricket, but I love cucumber sandwiches and I like the sound of sitting in a deckchair in the sun all afternoon. :D

stevep
26-Apr-08, 11:33
Would be interested in playing. Just let me know where and when

skimeister
26-Apr-08, 12:00
Yup I'd be up for that, I havent played since I was in the Navy but at least it would spur me on to get fitter :)

the_count
26-Apr-08, 12:18
not played since i was in the school team in third year senior school lol but i think i can remember how its played. Might do me some good to take it up again :lol:

SNOWDOG
27-Apr-08, 08:48
I remember cricket being played regularly in Wick in the late 80's, early 90's. Osprey Electronics had a team, and i recall another one called the Oliphants!

Frey
27-Apr-08, 10:00
I'd def be up for a game..let me know where and when, sound slike it would be a good bit of crack, especially if the weather stay as glorious as it has been!

mostlyharmless
27-Apr-08, 23:09
Glad to see enthusiasm for having a go . It been well five year since I played myself but the odd game again would be great. Not sure the kids believe I used to be quite reasonable at a game .

the_count
27-Apr-08, 23:17
so where is there a cricket ground in Wick .... i dont recall seeing one on my travels around here? And it never seems to get a mention on the sports page either :lol:

TBH
28-Apr-08, 01:33
so where is there a cricket ground in Wick .... i dont recall seeing one on my travels around here? And it never seems to get a mention on the sports page either :lol:Cricket has got to be the most boring, loosely termed, "sport", in existence.

Metalattakk
28-Apr-08, 02:14
so where is there a cricket ground in Wick .... i dont recall seeing one on my travels around here? And it never seems to get a mention on the sports page either :lol:

They used to play at the High School pitches, if I remember correctly.

Cricket has got to be the most boring, loosely termed, "sport", in existence.

Far from it.

Face up to a solid, extremely hard, leather-cased cork-based seamed ball, chucked at yer napper at 100MPH with just a slim bit of oiled willow to swat it away with, and then call it 'boring'.

Fair do's. Watching 5 days of it on TV may well be boring.

Participating in the game however, I can assure you is not.

Kevin Milkins
28-Apr-08, 02:29
Well I for one used to enjoy village cricket ,but the other ten that might turn up with a different agenda scares me. I think I will stick to rugby.:lol:

Sapphire2803
28-Apr-08, 17:35
So.... What day do you play cricket on? Is it a Sunday afternoon affair?
I assume you would need permission to play on the school pitch?
How about a weekend in May?
I'll bring a boot (car boot that is, not a welly) full of cucumber sarnies, who'll make the tea?

Seriously, there seems to be enough interest and although I may not be keen on the game itself, I'd be quite happy to watch if it was all good natured and fun.

karia
28-Apr-08, 17:43
[quote=Sapphire2803;378233
Seriously, there seems to be enough interest and although I may not be keen on the game itself, I'd be quite happy to watch if it was all good natured and fun.[/quote]

Two things in life that I just can't get my head round.....cricket and opera!

Of the two I prefer the sounds made by your average cricket match.:Razz

Heathen that I am!;)

Sapphire2803
28-Apr-08, 17:47
Two things in life that I just can't get my head round.....cricket and opera!

Of the two I prefer the sounds made by your average cricket match.

Heathen that I am!;)

You're not the only heathen around here then...
Opera sets my teeth on edge like fingernails on a blackboard and the sound of cricket on the telly is not much better, but it would be great if just for once a good idea on the org actually came to something rather than just disappearing into the archives :D

luke83
16-Jun-08, 21:16
If you're interested in playing cricket, there is a Caithness Cricket Club, practices are Wednesday nights at Thurso High School, 6pm for juniors, 7pm for Seniors. PLease pm me if you want any more info.

quirbal
16-Jun-08, 21:33
If you're interested in playing cricket, there is a Caithness Cricket Club, practices are Wednesday nights at Thurso High School, 6pm for juniors, 7pm for Seniors. PLease pm me if you want any more info.

Yes - they usually play Orkney and have several other games against north second teams (usually the Moray Firth area).

They are always short of players and will certainly welcome new blood.

quirbal
16-Jun-08, 21:35
You're not the only heathen around here then...
Opera sets my teeth on edge like fingernails on a blackboard and the sound of cricket on the telly is not much better, but it would be great if just for once a good idea on the org actually came to something rather than just disappearing into the archives :D

Opera is like reading - find the right book and you can't put it down - find the wrong one and you can forget it.

You obviously have not listened to the right music!

dirdyweeker
16-Jun-08, 23:08
here is a contact name and number that I have found. Hope it helps, they may know of more teams.

http://sport.caithness.org/group.php?id=37