PDA

View Full Version : Inverness-wick/thurso buses

Fran
18-Nov-05, 01:33
the buses are now going to take 3 1/2 hours to wick instead of 3 so it will be 4 hours from inverness to thurso. also, some of the buses in the timetable are going to be scrapped. the last bus leaving inverness will still run at 6.40.
I think the buses go too fast after they reach helmsdale they seem to put the foot down. I heard that the driver of the last bus from inverness last night drove without using his beam lights so I dont know how he could see where he was going.
Has anyone else had problems with buses from Inverness/wick and wick/inverness?
I think i'll stick to the train, but at the present time passengers have to get off at Helmsdale and transfer to a bus to get to wick/thurso.

oldman
18-Nov-05, 01:53
the buses are now going to take 3 1/2 hours to wick instead of 3 so it will be 4 hours from inverness to thurso. also, some of the buses in the timetable are going to be scrapped. the last bus leaving inverness will still run at 6.40.
I think the buses go too fast after they reach helmsdale they seem to put the foot down. I heard that the driver of the last bus from inverness last night drove without using his beam lights so I dont know how he could see where he was going.
Has anyone else had problems with buses from Inverness/wick and wick/inverness?
I think i'll stick to the train, but at the present time passengers have to get off at Helmsdale and transfer to a bus to get to wick/thurso.im sure the driver knew what he was doing,you say they take 4 hrs to get to thurso but complain that they drive too fast.i think the train is best for you.

Chillie
18-Nov-05, 02:17
Where did you hear this from.

angela5
18-Nov-05, 09:03
why is the buses going to take an extra half hour? you would think if they are driving with their foot down it would be half an hour less:confused: .

whats happening with the train service then? i never heard you need to change over to a bus to complete your journey. wether you stick to the train fran you gotta get on the bus anyway.

Mother Bear
18-Nov-05, 09:53
There was a huge maintenance programme going on over the last fortnight to the rail tracks between Wick/Thurso/Helmsdale.....that was the reason for the buses to complete journeys. Not sure if all is back to normal yet, but know that some trains have been going all the way this last couple of days.

MagicalTrevor
18-Nov-05, 10:19
Last time I tried to get off at the queens, the large guy driving totally sighed in my face as if I was just an inconveniance. Whatever happened to customer service eh..

spurtle
18-Nov-05, 12:57
I have to say the majority of the bus drivers are very good , polite and helpful.Unfortunately I have encountered one who is sadly lacking in those qualities.Not only have I noticed but also members of my family.Speed also seems to be a problem and as I often suffer from a bad back I find it hard to be buffeted from side to side.I feel it is a shame as I feel it gives the rest a bad name.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Nov-05, 13:07
If I worked as a bus driver for 20 years I'd be bitter and twisted, too. In this day and age it's amazing it takes 4 hours to do what should be a 2 1/2 hour journey. Ah well, sooner teleportation is invented the better.

DrSzin
18-Nov-05, 13:09
Ah well, sooner teleportation is invented the better. I'm working on it. ;)

Nice avatar -- not sure it's a great likeness tho'.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Nov-05, 13:13
I'm working on it. ;)

Nice avatar -- not sure it's a great likeness tho'.

I might not be as dastardly, murderous and megalomaniacal as Calton Creek's resident villain, but as you say, Szin, I'm working on it.

Viva Rank Bajin!

lasher
18-Nov-05, 13:26
Maybe the extra half hour is to get past the traffic lights on hempriggs, heard it takes ages.

squidge
18-Nov-05, 14:04
My children travel alone on the buses to wick every week. one week the two younger ones go up to their dads the next week the older one come down to me. I have no complaints. Occasionally there is a delay - bridge closed, accidents, but i have only had four serious delays in the last twelve months. As their dad and i meet them either end we notice any delays and to be honest i have been very pleased with the way the service runs. Whenever i had to speak to a driver they have been pleasant and polite, the boys either sleep play musivc or read and they are happy to make the journey that way.

works a treat to be honest - hurrah for the bus service

William
18-Nov-05, 17:51
I can't imagine that the bus drivers are hiving much fun out of driving on that road every day either and for them they do it twice a day so they will know the road and what they can drive at on them just like you would if you had to travel the same road every day. Also the speed the bus is travelling at can in most cases be misleading. eg: i was on the inverness bus one night and it was dark it looked like we were flying the whole way home but he never went above 60mph the whole way which really did suprise me ( i could see the speedo as i was behind him)

lasher
18-Nov-05, 18:38
The speed limit for a bus on Single Carriageways is only 50, so if he was doing sixty he was speeding, but he will know the road so no big deal really.

Sandra
18-Nov-05, 18:46
'Knowing the road' doesn't make it right to speed.

Knowing the road doesn't mean the driver knows what's around the corner, nor does it mean they know what other drivers are doing/thinking!

lassieinfife
18-Nov-05, 18:51
If I worked as a bus driver for 20 years I'd be bitter and twisted, too. In this day and age it's amazing it takes 4 hours to do what should be a 2 1/2 hour journey. Ah well, sooner teleportation is invented the better.

As in everything Colgate it's the drivers choise to continue being a bus driver ...... but when I encounter a rude one I report it to company ..... but I also contact them when there has been nice drivers on buses and compliment them on their staff.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Nov-05, 19:05
Fair dues, check. Sadly I have a hate-hate relationship with Citylink.

Tugmistress
18-Nov-05, 19:21
'Knowing the road' doesn't make it right to speed.

Knowing the road doesn't mean the driver knows what's around the corner, nor does it mean they know what other drivers are doing/thinking!

i can only speak from one travel experience, and that was february from thurso to inverness.
the drive was relaxing, as a car passenger i am terrible and expected the same as i always want to be in control of the vehicle, but i felt safe and no panic :D
a bus driver is a lot higher up than a car driver, surely as a passenger you will have noticed how much more you can see?
the guys drive for a living, as i used to do a a taxi/lorry driver when i lived in england, they know the road, the know the conditions, they know the black spots etc. you would be surprised at how adept most people driving for a living become at 'mind reading' :)

Sandra
18-Nov-05, 19:37
I understand what you are saying, but knowing everything still doesn't make it right to speed.

Tugmistress
19-Nov-05, 13:50
i didn't even suggest it was right to speed.
what i am saying is compared to 99% of drivers on the road, those that drive for a living know what they are doing.
in relation to the speeding, i do not agree with it, even though i am no angel have been known to do it as have we all. ever thought that because of the size of these coaches, the timetable, when an obstruction has been come across ie road works etc the driver 'needs' to speed to catch up with himself?
in that respect, although the journey is now going to take longer, it will put less stress on the driver so he can stay within the law :D

perdomcgrory
19-Nov-05, 22:31
ma faither will drive ye in e van for a few bob,no questions asked

Fran
20-Nov-05, 03:09
i once reported a bus for speeding and city link wrote to me admitting the tachograph was showing 80mph.they apologised and sent me a £10 voucher.
thank you for your replies. the bus still takes 3 hours to wick but the time is to be increased to 3 1/2 hours to wick so 4 to thurso.
oldman...yes i will take the train, i would feel safer. i didnt say the bus takes 4 hours (not yet), and 3 hours from inverness to wick is fast when you consider all the detours to dornoch, invergordon etc and all the stops..try doing that by car and see how long it takes.
Pepsi challenge......a car may take 2 and a half hours but the bus has detours and stops so should take longer.
william, you said if people had to drive to inverness they would go fast too. i drive to inverness a few times a week and i never go fast, you never know whats arounbd the next bend.
Lasher...i know the road very very well but that would not make me go fast, there are too many bends between wick and helmsdale, and i regard that as dangerous to go fast. as for driving without his headlights nearly all the way in the dark, i myself as a very experienced driver dont know how the driver could see, i wouldnt be able to, and he did go off the road twice, which made it a frightening journey, and i certainly wont use the bus again.also, there was snow at helmsdale so he should have slowed down. most of all he should have used his headlights.

Fran
20-Nov-05, 03:18
i am not a moaner, far fom it, just have regard for my safety and the safety of other motorists and passengers on the road.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Nov-05, 03:53
£10 voucher for speeding, like you are going to want to get back on the bus to spend it. Or is this new initiative instead of 3 points and a fine you now get a voucher for the bus!

IC
22-Nov-05, 01:10
Fran, just wondered where you got your information about the increase in the journey time for the Inverness buses?

Fran
22-Nov-05, 01:17
Fran, just wondered where you got your information about the increase in the journey time for the Inverness buses?
the driver of the bus was talking to a passenger and this is what he told her.

johndy
22-Nov-05, 13:06
the driver of the bus was talking to a passenger and this is what he told her.

So you were eavesdropping !

you didn't get this information from the bus company themselves, the drivers are often last to know of these changes, so this may only be speculation.

lasher
22-Nov-05, 13:43
Lasher...i know the road very very well but that would not make me go fast, there are too many bends between wick and helmsdale, and i regard that as dangerous to go fast.

I'm in two minds about the new road/crawler lane at the ord, used to be fun with all the hairpins if the road was quiet, but on the other hand the crawler lane should be good for passing trucks or slower cars.