PDA

View Full Version : pupils strike at wick high

martin macdonald
24-Apr-08, 21:05
do you remember the pupils strike, it was to do with the cleaners pay and conditions. what year was it? 1976 or 1977:eek:i remember walking up to the rhind house and all the primary schools. it was a hot summers day.

rainbow
24-Apr-08, 22:34
Yes I remember it, but I cringe when I think back to it!! My memory was that we protested at the mess in the school and ironically the worse mess was in the hall which was full of crisp bags, sweetie wrappers etc, which was no doubt dropped by us the pupils!!!! So we were the root cause of the mess, but who cared it gave us an excuse to get off lessons.

rob1
25-Apr-08, 09:44
May be the current pupils at Wick should do something similar and strike in protest over the state of their school. From the pics i have just seen in the paper, its not fit for purpose.

Sapphire2803
25-Apr-08, 10:37
Hmmm... With the law being what it is now, what are the chances of the parents ending up in court if the kids go on strike?
Mind you... Think of the publicity that would bring.

tisme
25-Apr-08, 11:20
Yeah I remember that too. It was because of the litter that was about the place. It was a lovely day and good excuse for a day off. I also remember I stole my brothers bay city rollers trousers to wear that day!!!:eek:

mccaugm
25-Apr-08, 11:35
May be the current pupils at Wick should do something similar and strike in protest over the state of their school. From the pics i have just seen in the paper, its not fit for purpose.

When I saw the title of this thread thats exactly what I thought was happening. Might get the extra publicity they want if the kids go on a march through the town or something. I am sure banners etc and a big photo on the front of the Groat would be of assistance to the campaign. Maybe get wee Mr Stone to lead the procession. A few pipe bands..etc...
My kids go to Thurso High but I am still very much in support of this campaign. All kids deserve a good eduction in a building that is fit for purpose.:mad:

KCI
25-Apr-08, 13:25
Although I don't condone children having any kind of time off school.........it would be a great media opportunity!
It is the kind of direct action that really makes a statement, and one of the main things in a campaign is to keep the momentum going.

Venture
25-Apr-08, 14:36
Although I don't condone children having any kind of time off school.........it would be a great media opportunity!
It is the kind of direct action that really makes a statement, and one of the main things in a campaign is to keep the momentum going.

Both ideas already on the agenda. Just let us get the exams out of the way first.;)