PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr that gets on my goat

JamesMcVean
24-Apr-08, 17:11
I spent ages checking up websites to buy a wooden playhouse for my kids...

Found a brilliant looking site with some expensive but nice stuff....including FREE delivery to mainland UK....

Wooopee ....I thought:lol:

Then I read the small print on the delivery page....

Not Available to deliver to KW...IV ...DD...AB...

Basically not north of Glasgow or Edinburgh

ARRRRRRRGH[evil]

I am turning Green Again....

Growing in rage and fury

LOL

The sods

James

dirdyweeker
24-Apr-08, 17:18
Once drove passed a place on the old road coming north. It sold outdoor wooden toys/ furniture etc. Unfortunately I am not sure exactly where it was but I am sure someone here will!! It is between Evanton and Invergordon. Hope this leads you further in your quest.

webmannie
24-Apr-08, 17:26
Did you get sorted out with one James?

I bought one for my wee girl, best thing ever, she is very popular!

To be honest though, when i got it, i could have made it myself. If you want you can come look at ours.

Ye ken me

unicorn
24-Apr-08, 17:46
get building it yourself James, it may get your creative juices flowing :D

KCI
24-Apr-08, 18:34
I had the same problem - found a brilliant wooden playhouse with a slide attached to it, but they don't deliver to our postcode area! It's so ridiculous - I even e-mailed them and explained exactly where we are, as they kept saying we were not on the mainland! So frustrating.

Anyway, I have ordered my wooden playhouse from Homebase - spent a lot of time looking, and it ended up being the cheapest place for the same playhouse.

the_count
24-Apr-08, 18:38
I've read somewhere that mainland britain ends at inverness so to see that aberdeeen and dundee are no longer part of the mainland is a bit confusing. It is a bit worrying knowing that scotland is getting smaller but having said that it will make journey's shorter lol :lol:

The reason for this is actually stupid i know but anything north of city's that are not directly linked to the intercity services run by BR/Virgin are considered another country lol :lol:

parkie
24-Apr-08, 18:41
was going to-buy a lawn mower from e-bay said free post except for kw1 etc extra £50 charge,not a happy mannie

JamesMcVean
24-Apr-08, 18:44
Found a better site and then emailed the old one and told them that there is more than England and southern Scotland!!

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/images/d_5146.jpg

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/images/d_5147.jpg

dozy
24-Apr-08, 19:57
One small roll of window draught/sealer (1kg)£15.50 delivery £58.75. crazy ,they say Caithness is classed as offshore ..

matelot79
24-Apr-08, 20:03
To be honest though, when i got it, i could have made it myself. If you want you can come look at ours.

Found a better site and then emailed the old one and told them that there is more than England and southern Scotland!!

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/images/d_5146.jpg

That I would love to see webmannie (falls off chair laughing).

veekay
25-Apr-08, 11:11
I have just been quoted £12 for the delivery of some goods ( total value ££9.50) I would buy locally but can't Delivery anywhere else on the Mainland £3.50

Mad doesn't cover it. Oh and I am not buying it either.

the_count
25-Apr-08, 15:14
It may interest people to know that KW is Kirkwall on the orkneys which is why KW is considered as offshore.

KCI
25-Apr-08, 19:52
It may interest people to know that KW is Kirkwall on the orkneys which is why KW is considered as offshore.

Yes, I know that people think that if we have KW as our postcode we must be classed as Orkney. But I even e-mailed the company, and explained exactly where we are, and they still wouldn't deliver here. I just think it's unfair to lose out just because of our location!

JamesMcVean
25-Apr-08, 21:12
KCI

Let me know what the one form Homebase turns out like>? Please...

I am considering one from Tesco Direct...but will think about it first lol

Cheers

James

the charlatans
25-Apr-08, 21:36
Thats a cool play house. Can we come and play in it??????

Aye, delivery prices are daft for Caithness - as long as its not too much i like to think of it as my petrol and parking charge - plus i don't have to trail around the shop with my grumpy husband or toddler and have more time to play in James's new playhouse.:D

YummyMummy
26-Apr-08, 15:06
I found the perfect wardrobe (an M&S number) that was £300 on e-bay. Worked out an extra £500 to get it delivered from London coz of size and weight - as if......

The woman had the cheek to give me a hard time on the phone when I said to forget it; I wasn't paying that amount of money for a wardrobe, to pay £500 extra for the delivery (which incidentally had been advertised as "free to mainland UK"). She said that surely I didn't think it would be free delivery to NE Scotland, as if we weren't part of the UK at all!

I recently bought some garden furniture which was coming from South England. Company called me to explain it would be £12 extra for the delivery if that was OK. 2 days later it arrived at the exact time I had been expecting it (none of this 7a.m. to 7p.m. rubbish) and the delivery man couldn't have been more helpful.

Funny that some companies have got their act together and not others....

Mik.M.
26-Apr-08, 22:37
Why do companies charge more to deliver up to us when it costs us no more to send stuff south? Another case of Rip Off Britain. Shop around and you may find a reasonable company but chances are slim. You could build one as previously suggested by Unicorn. I delivered timber to a house in Scrabster and they were building a playhouse,looked ok to me. We bought our daughter one from a garden centre when we lived in Crawley,it was a display model,cost us £100 ,collected it using my crane lorry,didn`t even have to dismantle it just lifted it and placed it in our garden with the crane,much to the amusement of our daughter.

JamesMcVean
26-Apr-08, 22:44
Like I said before

GRRRRRRRR!!

Free postage to mainland UK on website....then in the small print...£95 to certain Postcodes....Trading Standards should chase these chancers!

Final update on the Playhouse saga....

Tesco do one....the lad at the desk for Tesco Direct looked it up on the computer and said..."Yes sir, we can get it for you...but there will be a postage charge....£4.85!" LOL

Thank God!

Now I got to start clearing the bushes and levelling the ground...look out some tools...Buy some paving slabs...do some back exercise lol

James