PDA

View Full Version : Bluebells and Butterflies

ciderally
24-Apr-08, 11:42
telling us on sky this morning to plant bluebells in the uk to help the shortage of butterflies this year....so lets all plant a bluebell

Kenn
24-Apr-08, 11:57
Good idea but make sure they are the native species and not Spanish Bluebells.

ciderally
24-Apr-08, 12:58
Good idea but make sure they are the native species and not Spanish Bluebells.

Oops...is there a differance?:eek:...i will plant some when i get home..as you can see i aint no good at gardening..ah well every day's a learning day tee hee

the_count
25-Apr-08, 22:39
hmm planting bluebells for butterflies thats a new one nettles and budlea would have been a better bet i would have thought nettles seems to be the foodstuff of most butterfly catterpillars and the budlea is nicknamed the butterfly bush ....... just a thought lol :lol:

ciderally
26-Apr-08, 11:33
hmm planting bluebells for butterflies thats a new one nettles and budlea would have been a better bet i would have thought nettles seems to be the foodstuff of most butterfly catterpillars and the budlea is nicknamed the butterfly bush ....... just a thought lol :lol:

oh i havent a clue about plants only repeating what they were saying on sky...seam's that after the wet summer last year in the uk...there is going to be a big shortage in butterflies this year...and they were asking for folks to plant bluebells :roll:...to help them along here is the link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7363411.stm

the_count
26-Apr-08, 14:52
ahhh thanx for the link ... knew budlea would get a mention in there somewhere :lol:

Ricco
26-Apr-08, 20:38

Bluebells will give the b'flies an earlier start as the nettles and buddlea won't be flowering for a while yet. I agree that you must make sure you buy native 'bells and not Spanish ones.

karia
26-Apr-08, 22:19
My bluebells come out a week or two after my tulips..so I plant yellow tulips to compliment them.

We have a wildlife garden and the best time of year is after the bluebells come up and everything gets lively...plants and animals!:)