PDA

View Full Version : Growing Garlic

cockerel
24-Apr-08, 10:16
Has anybody grown garlic from a bulb bought in a supermarket?
I am trying yet another experiment by breaking up a garlic bulb and starting them off in the little tubs that you get sandwich filler in.
I planted them last week and they have sprouted already.
I just wondered if anyone has had any success.:confused

stratman
24-Apr-08, 10:29
I have done this for years with great success. The bulbs are never as big but very strong in flavour.

cockerel
24-Apr-08, 15:22
Thanks for that Stratman. Can you tell me when I can plant them outside?
I have them in the greenhouse at the moment.

karia
24-Apr-08, 16:35
Hi cockerel,

I have always just planted them straight into the ground so can't help with when to plant them out

You don't get a great crop for the first year and you get much better results from garlic intended for the purpose of growing rather than supermarket stuff...although both are worthwhile in my opinion.

The long green shoots (or 'scapes') are also delicious in salads or cooking having a sort of spring onion/garlic flavour.

I love garlic...no fear of vampires in my house.:D

Good luck.

the_count
24-Apr-08, 18:51
thats something i haven't seen around here .... wild garlic. i know it grows in most woods south of the border and used to go out to the local woods for the greenery to add to my salad. I'd not really thought about growing my own so would be interested in you results:D

stratman
24-Apr-08, 21:18
Post mentioning vampires and then The Count posts. This is scary.
I would plant out now if your land is not very wet. I am sure there is wild garlick below the wick hospital by the river?

karia
24-Apr-08, 22:20
I am fending that count off..night in night out!

Driving me batty..hhhaaa!:lol:

Fangs for that stratman.;)

the_count
25-Apr-08, 01:19
Lol stratman i hadn't noticed any down there and i have been right down to the end of the path on that side of the river (both upper and lower paths)

karia: look in to my eyes - deep into my eyes - not around my eyes but deep into my eyes ........ lol :lol:

lelebo
25-Apr-08, 08:58
Hi there - there's wild garlic at the top of lovers lane in miller avenue - smells lovely when you walk past it :D

the_count
25-Apr-08, 14:16
lovers lane in miller ave (<checks map) ah Thurso lol i shall have to pop over one of these days. thanx for that piece of information lelebo

Andy (alias the_count)