PDA

View Full Version : Caithness cost of living

percy toboggan
23-Apr-08, 19:23
Hello:
has the arrival of a few big retail names like Tesco impacted yet upon the cost of living up there? I know their arrival was eagerly awaited by some..what's the verdict ?

Boozeburglar
23-Apr-08, 19:40
The cost of housing has been spiralling for ages, mad considering what is on offer.

Still, if my bet on teh big game comes good I will be in the clover, Man U 3 to teh Spaniards 1, Rooney to score one, Ronaldo 2

:)

ciderally
23-Apr-08, 19:47
must be really nice to have all the big stores up in wick now....north has been the poor relation for so long...

trix
23-Apr-08, 20:01
i went intil 'e butchers in weik 'e ither day for a neep an 3 carrots...

£1.70 it cost me :eek:

dis anyone else think 'ats really dear...? 'e carrots wisna even a beeg, kwite skinny ones actually...

an am choost oot 'e wineshop an ye da get 3 bottles for a tenner anymore...its £11....

everything seems til be goin up...cept ma wages [evil]

karia
23-Apr-08, 20:07
[quote=trix;376643]an am choost oot 'e wineshop an ye da get 3 bottles for a tenner anymore...its £11..../quote]

At's shocking trix, what's the world coming to!:eek:

..Hev ye thought to brew yer own?;)

trix
23-Apr-08, 20:09
..Hev ye thought to brew yer own?;)

on numerous occasions ;)

percy toboggan
23-Apr-08, 20:09
same e're trix...cost of living going up and up...we manage..we're childless (now) and lucky to be on a half decent wedge between us.
Is a 'neep' a turnip? I've heard of neeps and tatties..and used to think it/they were mince. Educate me lass.

*'childless now?? ...I'm sure you know what I mean...they're both thirty odd!

percy toboggan
23-Apr-08, 20:11
Aye up Cotes du Rhone £3.10 at LIDL tonight ...I bought two...the way it's going down they might not last the night oot. Original intention was for one tonight...one tomoz...(between us like) always enjoy watching the 'Apprentice' with a glass of something.

karia
23-Apr-08, 20:13
on numerous occasions ;)

Yer U.S has packed his library of home brewing techniques in the car for you....clear space for the demi-johns!:D

silverfox57
23-Apr-08, 20:15
Hello:
has the arrival of a few big retail names like Tesco impacted yet upon the cost of living up there? I know their arrival was eagerly awaited by some..what's the verdict ?
dont now about cost of living on tesco and big retail names, but has changed the two main streets in wick. as ah has worked in local shop for years, and says bridge st and high st are empty most of the time,with boarded up shop fronts,is want happens to all small towns when the big stores arrive:~(

percy toboggan
23-Apr-08, 20:20
dont now about cost of living on tesco and big retail names, but has changed the two main streets in wick. as ah has worked in local shop for years, and says bridge st and high st are empty most of the time,with boarded up shop fronts,is want happens to all small towns when the big stores arrive:~(

Indeed, the inevitable downside...profits concentrated into a few big and deep pockets, while local traders go to the wall. Do we protest about the changes or collapse into acquiescence and make the most of any bargains? Most can't be choosy...experience tells us protest is futile anyway.

Keep body and soul together anyway you can...it's a cruel world.

trix
23-Apr-08, 20:23
Is a 'neep' a turnip? Educate me lass.

shushd...ya neep :Razz

Yer U.S has packed his library of home brewing techniques in the car for you....clear space for the demi-johns!

tell u.s 'ats 'e stuff....ma auld cheil used til brew 'e stuff years ago an it wis all kept in ma beidroom - it wis 'e only room in 'e hoose that ma mither never went intil [lol]

i used til fall asleep til...blup....blup....blup...

karia
23-Apr-08, 20:27
shushd...ya neep

tell u.s 'ats 'e stuff....ma auld cheil used til brew 'e stuff years ago an it wis all kept in ma beidroom - it wis 'e only room in 'e hoose that ma mither never went intil [lol]

i used til fall asleep til...blup....blup....blup...

He says you and him both.....he still falls asleep to blup..blup..blup

but that's choost me!:lol:

trix
23-Apr-08, 20:35
it wis actually me an ma faither that made 'e stuff - weel...i picked 'e dandylions [lol]

Kevin Milkins
23-Apr-08, 22:09
same e're trix...cost of living going up and up...we manage..we're childless (now) and lucky to be on a half decent wedge between us.
Is a 'neep' a turnip? I've heard of neeps and tatties..and used to think it/they were mince. Educate me lass.

*'childless now?? ...I'm sure you know what I mean...they're both thirty odd!

Hi Percy
I used to get confused with the Neeps and Tatties when I first moved here.
The Neeps are Swede.
I think £1-70 was a bit stiff for your carrots though trix.

karia
23-Apr-08, 22:23
Hi Percy
I used to get confused with the Neeps and Tatties when I first moved here.
The Neeps are Swede.
I think £1-70 was a bit stiff for your carrots though trix.

Bloomin' extortionate mate!:roll:

Neep 50p

3 carrots 30p

Amount trix was ripped of by the butcher 90p and whatever he overcharged her for the Haggis.

Kevin Milkins
23-Apr-08, 22:29
Bloomin' extortionate mate!:roll:

Neep 50p

3 carrots 30p

Amount trix was ripped of by the butcher 90p and whatever he overcharged her for the Haggis.

It does sort of beg the question,Why would you go to the butcher to buy your veg?

karia
23-Apr-08, 22:42
It does sort of beg the question,Why would you go to the butcher to buy your veg?

He was selling her the Haggis!:eek:

She is a busy lass and was making a one stop shop.;)

JamesMcVean
24-Apr-08, 20:07
I dont care what people say....I still prefer my local family run butcher for my meat, and the fish shops for ...errr....fish lol:lol:

I decided to take up the Free Range choice after watching those docmentaries over the festive season, and am saddened by the lack of freerange chicken in Tesco and Co-op...the are still flooding the shelves with the battery cheepies(pun) grrr...lol[disgust]

Long live the local shops

tonkatojo
24-Apr-08, 21:22
shame we dont look like getting ASDA for some real competition to TESCO, cos TESCO gets worse day by day.

the_count
24-Apr-08, 23:58
The one GOOD thing about getting Tesco's up here is we can now get Fresh Cream Cakes. I can still see the faces of the shopkeepers in wick cakes shop now when i sugested fresh cream cakes might sell lol. :lol::lol:

trix
25-Apr-08, 00:02
shame we dont look like getting ASDA for some real competition to TESCO, cos TESCO gets worse day by day.

whats 'e problem wi tesco? how is it getin worse day by day? :confused

golach
25-Apr-08, 00:14
I am so sad ye lot 'at hez till live wi just Tesco, I refuse till shop in 'at shop, but I am lucky, I hev Sainsbury's 500 yards away, a Co-op a 100 yds away, a Morrisons about a mile away an' an Asda a 20 minad bus ride away, and I am off till Asda the morn, to stock up for my favourite cusin coman doon till Auld Reekie, till spend aaaal her money in Ikea [lol]

trix
25-Apr-08, 00:25
we da choost hev tesco golach....

i do most o' ma shoppin at somerfield...only cos its closest.

coap no far awie, tesco on one side o' me, lidls on 'e ither side o' me....

once i get transport il probly shop aboot.....

scrumpysteve
01-May-08, 22:39
Having spent the last three and a half years in southern Ireland - known as Rip Off Ireland troughout the state - it's refreshing to be able to go to a local shop and find food that's so cheap! When I say local I mean local, not Tesco, though I have visited the one in Wick. A bottle of red wine, yer basic plonk, would cost 5 - 6 euro (£4 - £4.70) and a bargain was three for 20 euro, nearly £16! The petrol was cheaper though, but the Irish government are soon raising the prices to "bring it in line with the UK and the rest of Europe" Glad to be back in the UK.... especially up here!

trix
01-May-08, 23:32

hi kev....'e only reason i went til 'e butchers is cos i thot if i went til somerfields i would o' ended up spendin a fortune....!

maybe i should o' taken 'e chance :confused

Kevin Milkins
01-May-08, 23:46
hi kev....'e only reason i went til 'e butchers is cos i thot if i went til somerfields i would o' ended up spendin a fortune....!

maybe i should o' taken 'e chance :confused

Hi Trix

I have grown veg on a commercial basis and it just not add up how the supermarkets can sell quality veg as cheap as they do.

I can only assume that they use key items as loss leaders and you impulse buy somthing else that you get stung on.

joxville
01-May-08, 23:47
I dont care what people say....I still prefer my local family run butcher for my meat, and the fish shops for ...errr....fish lol:lol:

I decided to take up the Free Range choice after watching those docmentaries over the festive season, and am saddened by the lack of freerange chicken in Tesco and Co-op...the are still flooding the shelves with the battery cheepies(pun) grrr...lol[disgust]

Long live the local shops

We all could live like kings if free range/organic wasn't so expensive. I'm lucky in that I work full time and live alone so can afford quality food but there are people and families on low income who's basic need to eat outweigh's the argument over battery/free range etc.

trix
01-May-08, 23:59
hi jox

am defo an organic buyer...weel...when i can....

best for organic is defo tesco...

no organic milk in somerfields aday [evil]

joxville
02-May-08, 00:55
I use my local Sainsbury's because it's only 2 streets away and I have to say that sometime's their organic range is a bit hit and miss, quite often it's rather sorry looking that I give it a miss.

sweetpea
02-May-08, 01:13
The butchers are good if your going just for meat, if you want a barbie or something. Plus I don't eat much of the stuff that Tesco sells. I like their household goods sometimes.
I'd expect the neep and puddings thrown in when I go to the butcher. Call me old fashioned....

trix
02-May-08, 01:24
nu'hin auld fashioned aboot'ed sweat pea....

Kevin Milkins
02-May-08, 01:34
nu'hin auld fashioned aboot'ed sweat pea....

I think its called a traditional way of doing business.

sweetpea
02-May-08, 01:40
I think its called a traditional way of doing business.

Sounds ok way of doin things to me!

joxville
02-May-08, 01:41
The butchers are good if your going just for meat, if you want a barbie or something. Plus I don't eat much of the stuff that Tesco sells. I like their household goods sometimes.
I'd expect the neep and puddings thrown in when I go to the butcher. Call me old fashioned....

There isn't a decent butcher anywhere near me, in Hampshire. There is one round the corner from my house but quite frankly I think even a dog would turn it's nose up at the poor quality. I buy meat from the butcher when I'm up in Scotland every couple of months and freeze it when I get home. Then I treat myself every week.:)

sweetpea
02-May-08, 01:44
There isn't a decent butcher anywhere near me, in Hampshire. There is one round the corner from my house but quite frankly I think even a dog would turn it's nose up at the poor quality. I buy meat from the butcher when I'm up in Scotland every couple of months and freeze it when I get home. Then I treat myself every week.:)

Best way I guess! I have a very good butcher round the corner:)

joxville
02-May-08, 01:45
What I really miss more than anything is Johnston's pies and bridie's. I worked in the bakery for 11 years and had one of each every morning when I took them out the oven.

Oh, my mouth is watering at just the thought of them.:D

trix
02-May-08, 01:51
ats a shame joxville..

e butcher 'at i made reference til is (in ma opinion) 'e best butcher in e toon...

no underslatin any ither butcher in e toon, ma goddess, they are all really good...

but even if i did pay thro 'e nose for ma neep an twa carrots....il get ma £s back....

when i see him in 'e pub next an he asks me if am wantin a drink, il be tellin him, 'il hev a double jameson please [lol]

small toon ;)

thejudd
02-May-08, 02:42
Yeah get asda up here. I have noticed the prices going up in somerfields and co op since tesco arrived for instance before tesco I could get 250g of stores own butter for 60/70p but now I am lucky if I can find it for 90p and i have noticed alot of other things going up.

joxville
02-May-08, 11:55
Yeah get asda up here. I have noticed the prices going up in somerfields and co op since tesco arrived for instance before tesco I could get 250g of stores own butter for 60/70p but now I am lucky if I can find it for 90p and i have noticed alot of other things going up.

You would expect prices to come down a bit when competition arrive's, not the other way round.

Penelope Pitstop
02-May-08, 11:59
You would expect prices to come down a bit when competition arrive's, not the other way round.

I'm not sure if this is down to the brand of supermarket or just the way things seem to be heading right now....all food in all stores is just soaring. :( Goodness knows where it will end.....will we all become thinner?...I doubt it!!!! lol

joxville
02-May-08, 12:21
I'm not sure if this is down to the brand of supermarket or just the way things seem to be heading right now....all food in all stores is just soaring. :( Goodness knows where it will end.....will we all become thinner?...I doubt it!!!! lol

There could be something in that theory-As well as losing pounds from the pocket, you lose pounds in weight too!:)

Tam 2000
02-May-08, 18:32
We find the butchers in wick unbelievably cheap,real Caithness beef and lamb that can be traced back to the farm it was born,you couldnt ask for better and the taste and quality is superb. We find Super market meat much more pricey,tasteless and of dubious origins.Long live Caithness Butchers!