PDA

View Full Version : Wick airport, autosports

Solus
22-Apr-08, 21:07
I remember many moons ago the airport allowed the car club up here to do sprints, timed runs ? do it still happen and would they be willing to allow it for motorbikes ?

Riffman
22-Apr-08, 22:11
Well, under the Aviation & Maritime Security act 1982, the air side is deemed a restricted area and access is prohibited except by persons authorised by the airport manager.

So not a very likely chance now days.

George Brims
23-Apr-08, 00:00
I fondly remember there being quite a few unofficial timed runs and side by side sprints, late at night. That was back in the 70s though, when you could still cross the runway to get out Noss direction.

the_count
23-Apr-08, 00:30
BA have a lot to answer for lol :lol:

Riffman
23-Apr-08, 00:38
Its not hard to get into the airport, but there is a good chance you will get chased off by some old doffer wearing a tweed trilby in his cessna....

carasmam
23-Apr-08, 09:54
If I remember rightly a couple of runway lights got broken by people who went off the track in their cars and this put a stop to it.
Insurance would probably be a killer now for that kind of event :confused

SNOWDOG
23-Apr-08, 10:25
Mini sprints and time trials take place on the old parade ground at Wick airport about once a week in the summer months. They usually attract a fair crowd. Not sure if these meets are official though!

Dog-eared
23-Apr-08, 12:44
Is the old parade ground between the hangars ?

carasmam
23-Apr-08, 13:40
Is the old parade ground between the hangars ?

Its in front of Bushy's garage (Wm Bremner)

northener
23-Apr-08, 20:56
About 4 years ago Bentley were having a press bash at Ackergill Tower, I distinctly remember seeing a couple of Bentleys sneaking throught the gate by the hangars/Caithness Chemicals.

I don't know if they were meeting a plane by the hangars (Unlikely? They'd use the terminal, surely.) or lining up for a blast down the strip. - So it may be worth asking.