PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Shortage! Or will it be?

warrior
22-Apr-08, 12:45
1 Shell Fuel Station in Dundee has already started to restrict the volume of fuel customers can put in, to 15 ltrs for cars and 35 for vans etc. Will it head north ?

changilass
22-Apr-08, 12:51
All that means is that you have to make 2 sepatate trips to the garage, its a waste of time and energy.

octane
22-Apr-08, 12:57
Tescos in Wick have 2 days fuel left and are not sure of there next fill date

just kidding, everyone gurns at the petrol prices and then they try to cram as much as they can into there vehicles......makes ya laugh and the goverment scores again!!

bekisman
22-Apr-08, 13:15
"Don't panic Mr Mannering"
If you are watching the developing situation between the Unions and the management with the help of ACAS, it's (hopefully) looking like it will get sorted and the strike will not go ahead.. however looks like - as in Dundee - Inverness is panicking.. it's really all self-fulfilling, I remember the days when there was a hint that bread would be unavailable, result; no bread.. One day some enterprising company wanting to unload excess goods will proclaim "world shortage of corned beef", and whoops no tins of bullybeef anywhere..
Sit tight and it WILL get sorted..

Re; Inverness Courier:

Fuel runs out as motorists queue to buy
Published: 22 April, 2008
AN Inverness petrol station ran out of fuel yesterday amid growing fears that a planned strike at Scotland's only crude oil refinery will spark mass fuel shortages.Tesco's petrol station at Inshes retail park was coned off to motorists and a sign read "sorry no fuel". It is thought the pumps may have run dry as a result of mass panic-buying, although Tesco refused to comment.
Esso Highlander, located on Millburn Road, also reported queues for most of the day. The shortages come as the Highlands and Islands Strategic Co-ordinating Group (SCG) — a group responsible to responding to emergencies — announces it is to meet later this week.
However, businesses and politicians in the Highland Capital remain hopeful that negotiations will resume between operator Ineos and trade union Unite and matters will be resolved without the need for strike action on 27th and 28th April.
Meanwhile, Inverness MP Danny Alexander was concerned about the disproportionate impact any fuel shortage might have on the region. "In the Highlands people already pay a higher price for fuel than the rest of Scotland," Mr Alexander said. "Here people travel longer distances and having a car is a necessity when there is limited public transport." He said there needed to be some reassurance from distributors that steps would be taken to make sure supplies were going to rural areas which needed it most.

teddybear1873
22-Apr-08, 13:49
Aye. Were heading back to the horse and cart.

_Ju_
22-Apr-08, 14:21
Actually last night several stations here were out of unleaded ( at least). It was irritating. I hate going to the petrol station so I usually fill up once a month or so. It happens that this is the week I needed petrol, and then when I get there....dry pumps. ppppppfffffffffffff:(

Cattach
22-Apr-08, 16:11
Tescos in Wick have 2 days fuel left and are not sure of there next fill date

just kidding, everyone gurns at the petrol prices and then they try to cram as much as they can into there vehicles......makes ya laugh and the goverment scores again!!

Gurns Yes, cram into my tank NO. There is no way the country is going to come to a halt - maybe a few days of shortage but nothing more.

bish667
22-Apr-08, 16:17
There is more petrol and diesel capacity in the petrol tanks of the nations cars then exists in all the UK's filling stations put together, FACT.

Therefore at any time, irrespective of strikes, refinery closures etc, if everyone panicked and went to fill up their car, jerry cans etc then it would precipitate a fuel shortage !!!

bigjjuk
22-Apr-08, 17:24
well i dont want to cause mass panic, but when the fuels strikes hit some years ago, I lived in london and every garage run out, now where i use to live there was a whole lot more garages then we have here.

©Amethyst
22-Apr-08, 17:50
I'm not worried... a. because I don't drive and b. it's just people hearing a few words and getting as much as they can as quickly as they can... and it's these people, in my opinion, that are the ones causing the problems.

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 20:14
hmmI do hope they get it sorted or I wont be risking going to Dunfermline this weekend.

northener
22-Apr-08, 20:21
Well, if we do run out of fuel, I'll get an enforced holiday!

Hooray!

But I run my own show:eek:

No income!

Aiieeeeeeeeeee!:~(

A pox on it all, I say.

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 20:38
Have you been reading Nigel Tranter Northerner?

northener
22-Apr-08, 20:46
Have you been reading Nigel Tranter Northerner?

Nope, but I'm intrigued, Unicorn.

Tell me, tell me!

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 21:06
Nothing exciting I am and that phrase a pox on it all comes up a lot :lol:

Geo
22-Apr-08, 22:00
So has anyone here rushed out to fill up just in case?

I haven't, so hoping there's enough in the tank for work tomorrow. :)

northener
22-Apr-08, 22:03
So has anyone here rushed out to fill up just in case?

I haven't, so hoping there's enough in the tank for work tomorrow. :)

I think the only panic we'll see in Caithness is if supplies of OVD Rum dry up.....

DeHaviLand
22-Apr-08, 22:05
I fuel up every day, but I'm doing it in Brora just now, rather than join the queues in Inverness.

karia
22-Apr-08, 22:10
I am 15 minutes from BP Grangemouth.

Very different story here..queued to the brim and the nearest petrol station ran out yesterday.

Worth remembering that these guys are fighting for their pension rights..not just trying to screw things up for the sake of it.

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 22:36
Keep us posted on the situation peoples, may be a stay at home weekend :eek:

bekisman
22-Apr-08, 23:27
David Watt, of the Institute of Directors in Scotland, "The Ineos staff at Grangemouth need to be realistic. I am told workers currently enjoy good salaries of on average £40,000 per year, nearly double the average Scots salary. I understand that they currently receive non-contributory fixed salary pensions, which are virtually unheard of in the private sector these days. This type of pension is unrealistic and unsustainable and it is no wonder Ineos are now asking their staff to contribute a small percentage of their salaries to their pensions"

(I wish my pension had been non-contributory)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7361023.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7361023.stm)

The Angel Of Death
23-Apr-08, 12:34
Few have said this today at work I filled up at 11 ish and all seemed fine then ???

JamesMcVean
23-Apr-08, 12:40
It is fair enough to say that these worker are well paid...but they probably put in the hours too...:confused

The Oil Cimpanies are making BILLIONS of pounds profits...the gov should do a Heavy duty Tax on them...and give us a tax break instead...I fell less well off now than I did 15 years ago and I am earning a lot more now than I did then!!![evil]

bish667
23-Apr-08, 15:57
Esso in Thurso is out of petrol/diesel.
Anyone know if the petrol station on the end of the bridge(used to be bridgend but dont know new name:roll:) still has petrol left?

MadPict
23-Apr-08, 16:03
Some retailers are indulging in shameless profiteering if they are pushing the prices up to £1.30 a litre.

Elenna
23-Apr-08, 16:10
Few have said this today at work. I filled up at 11 ish and all seemed fine then ???

I was there just an hour ago (about 3pm), and all was fine then, too. From all the talk round about, I was quite surprised the prices hadnt gone sky high, with huge queues waiting...it didnt even seem (at that time, at least) as busy as on a normal Sat afternoon.

mums angels
23-Apr-08, 17:15
Esso in Thurso is out of petrol/diesel.
Anyone know if the petrol station on the end of the bridge(used to be bridgend but dont know new name:roll:) still has petrol left?

dunno about that one but richards garage still has some and a tanker delivered today , esso delivery tmrw ....

if people didnt panic we wouldnt be having a problem.

bekisman
23-Apr-08, 17:55
Madpict: "Some retailers are indulging in shameless profiteering if they are pushing the prices up to £1.30 a litre."

You are right madpict: 'The Rix garage in Kirkcaldy, Fife, is charging £1.30 for a litre of diesel and £1.20 for unleaded as demand increases ahead of any strike'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7360339.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7360339.stm)

bish667
23-Apr-08, 18:11
dunno about that one but richards garage still has some and a tanker delivered today , esso delivery tmrw ....

if people didnt panic we wouldnt be having a problem.

Yea its the panickers that are causing shortages.idiots.
I can only go to esso or the garage on the bridge due to my car will only run on super unleaded.
The joys of an imported car :lol:
I can wait,its only petrol, or maybe i should join the majority of scotland and panic.

northener
23-Apr-08, 19:44
It's worse than you could imagine....

The teachers are also threatening to go on strike and, already, there are reports from down South of large numbers of students queuing to get into the skools from before dawn to grab as much learning as possible before it runs out.

Some schools already have no learning left at all.
At St Beelzebubs' in Winchester a fight broke out amongst a large number of sixth formers after it was dicovered the only learning left in the whole school was in a tatty Janet and John book.

If nobody panic learned, there wouldn't be a problem.......

N.

SunsetSong
23-Apr-08, 21:45
See its just been announced that the strike will in fact go ahead.....promise of yet more panic buying tomorrow then.

angela5
23-Apr-08, 21:49
See its just been announced that the strike will in fact go ahead.....promise of yet more panic buying tomorrow then.

I'm sure the garages will hike up the price even more before the mad rush[disgust]

Penelope Pitstop
23-Apr-08, 22:02
Price as good as £1.25 in Thurso today.[disgust]

astroman
23-Apr-08, 22:33
It is fair enough to say that these worker are well paid...but they probably put in the hours too...

The Oil Cimpanies are making BILLIONS of pounds profits...the gov should do a Heavy duty Tax on them...and give us a tax break instead...I fell less well off now than I did 15 years ago and I am earning a lot more now than I did then!!![evil]

I suspect that you're now living with a house FULL of females may also be a contributing factor :lol:

_Ju_
24-Apr-08, 07:59
I suspect that you're now living with a house FULL of females may also be a contributing factor

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ luckily there is a female in my household, as she (I) am the one to bring home the bread an' butter!

One thing I have noticed as I have grown older and wiser (?): when men buy their "toys" it's because they say they need them. When women buy their "toys" men say it's because they want them. Double standards anyone?????;) :lol:

stixie
24-Apr-08, 08:24
On Tuesday in Stromness Diesel was at 1.32!

Fuel light was on so i put in what would do me a wee while!!

Think about time i started taking my horse to work, its only a 60mile round trip haha.

What will be will be!

Geo
24-Apr-08, 09:09
Morrisons fuel station in Alness were sold out yesterday.

Ironically my car engine decided to self destruct yesterday so I won't be needing any diesel for a while. :(

cd1977
24-Apr-08, 10:17
Ach well if the fuel runs out it means I canna go to work.

Happy days :cool:.

Penelope Pitstop
24-Apr-08, 10:39
Ach well if the fuel runs out it means I canna go to work.

Happy days :cool:.

Aye, but if you can't go to work I doubt you'll get paid....catch 22

TBH
24-Apr-08, 11:06
It's worse than you could imagine....

The teachers are also threatening to go on strike and, already, there are reports from down South of large numbers of students queuing to get into the skools from before dawn to grab as much learning as possible before it runs out.

Some schools already have no learning left at all.
At St Beelzebubs' in Winchester a fight broke out amongst a large number of sixth formers after it was dicovered the only learning left in the whole school was in a tatty Janet and John book.

If nobody panic learned, there wouldn't be a problem.......

N.I thought they would be reading Janet and Jane books nowadays?

Valerie Campbell
24-Apr-08, 11:50
I'm not worried... a. because I don't drive and b. it's just people hearing a few words and getting as much as they can as quickly as they can... and it's these people, in my opinion, that are the ones causing the problems.

I'm not worried either...yet. What happens when the trucks can't bring the food into the shops or the medicines to the chemists because there's no fuel?

Julia
24-Apr-08, 12:07
snip>I was quite surprised the prices hadnt gone sky high, with huge queues waiting...

Madpict: "Some retailers are indulging in shameless profiteering if they are pushing the prices up to £1.30 a litre."

Unleaded at Dunett's garage in Wick was 112.9p last night, taking advantage a little me thinks [disgust]

bekisman
24-Apr-08, 13:21
"Mr Salmond told MSPs that fuel would last "well into May" and more could be imported if needed."

Well that's all right then!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7364842.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7364842.stm)

MadPict
24-Apr-08, 15:40
Seems like some fuel retailers down here are jumping onto the profiteering gravy train - some have added 2p to unleaded and diesel in the last couple of days...

Not sure how Shell can sell it at 1.16/1.18p per litre, yet half a mile down the road the BP lot are robbing us flogging it at 1.18/1.20ppl.

Anne x
24-Apr-08, 15:43
Only £10 of fuel per car here at the 5 Mile Garage Aberdeen

sandy01
24-Apr-08, 15:51
Same old story, if there's a possible shortage, (if not create one)put your prices up, so people go to the cheaper outlet, then when they have run out you have the monopoly, and can charge whatever you like, as you will still have a stock.
But it could misfire, like changilass, there regulars may not come back, (with a bit of luck)
This sort of daylight robbery has been going on for years.

sandy01
25-Apr-08, 10:39
Dunetts Wick last night now: petrol £115.9 diesel £125.9 another 2p hike!!!!!

Skerries
25-Apr-08, 11:48

There's no shame when it comes to some petrol retailers profiteering in Caithness, that's for sure. But then, what's new?

concerned resident
25-Apr-08, 12:27
Westminster have just let this run, as the scottish parliament have no powers to do anything. Labour are just going to blame the SNP, as they still can not accept they are not running the Scottish Parliament. Only throuble is if this strike continues, it will effect the north sea oil production, then you will see Westminster jump into action. Westminster do not give a stuff for the people of Scotland, there only interest is the Oil. Its time to vote for independance.

bekisman
25-Apr-08, 13:15
See by www.petrolprices.com (http://www.petrolprices.com) that Dunnets was U/L @ 112.9, Richards U/L @ 112.9, Bridgend U/L @ 113.9 and Pennyland U/L @ 113.9 - understand Tesco in Wick is 108.9?
It takes weeks for an increase in fuel to trickle through - it's amazing how the stuff this lot in Thurso hold in their tanks, suddenly becomes more valuable. I have not purchased a drop of fuel from any Thurso fuel supplier since Tesco (and a couple of others in Wick) have had realistic prices.

This is blatant profiteering, but thankfully "Tesco, Thurso is a coming" and no doubt there will be many a folk like changilass, who will remember those particular fuel stations which took advantage during this present time.

Skerries
25-Apr-08, 14:23
Westminster have just let this run, as the scottish parliament have no powers to do anything. Labour are just going to blame the SNP, as they still can not accept they are not running the Scottish Parliament. Only throuble is if this strike continues, it will effect the north sea oil production, then you will see Westminster jump into action. Westminster do not give a stuff for the people of Scotland, there only interest is the Oil. Its time to vote for independance.

Another thing you'll notice is that prior to the shutting down of the Forties pipeline to Grangemouth because of the strike, the value of oil to the UK economy was played down as negligible (because it's in Scottish waters). But now we are hearing that it's worth millions of pounds each hour!

NLP
25-Apr-08, 14:36
OH works near Inverness, yesterday 2 petrol stations were dry and another has limited it to £20 per car.

unicorn
25-Apr-08, 15:03
Just cancelled my trip for the weekend :~( not worth getting stuck for.

bekisman
25-Apr-08, 15:33
An interesting site on Sky News, they have a map which you can click on and see the prices over the country, additionally they want us to email them to give updates on what prices we are paying in our areas, if anyone in Thurso/Wick has up to date prices, PM me and I'll email Sky, or do it yourself (I'm out west and don't have very current prices)..

"Petrol prices have shot up of late, and an impending oil workers strike in Scotland has raised fears things will get worse. Sky News is keeping an eye on the cheapest and dearest fuel in the country. We're inviting you to email us newsonline@bskyb.com (newsonline@bskyb.com) the price of unleaded and diesel where you are - and what you think of it."
http://news.sky.com/skynews/fixed_article/0,,30100-1313802,00.html (http://news.sky.com/skynews/fixed_article/0,,30100-1313802,00.html)

unicorn
25-Apr-08, 15:42
Hubby says Bridgend is out of diesel now.

BIG A
25-Apr-08, 16:15
DUNNETS Garage Wick 125.9 A Litre for derv This is a Rip Off By The Management there .There Suppliers Gleaners Did not have a Price rise today
so this seems a case of making a Quick Pound at the expense of the Local Motorist. [evil]

tonkatojo
25-Apr-08, 16:29
If It's 125.9 In Wick At Dunnets Think Of The Poor Sods In Thurso Who Generally Pay 3-4 Pence More !!!!!!

bekisman
25-Apr-08, 16:36
ref #523 above I sent them an update an hour ago, still not changed on their map, the one they show is two days out! typical, Scotland? where's that!

cuddlepop
25-Apr-08, 16:39
THe diesel is 126.9p over here in Portree and your restricted to £20.:(

Julia
25-Apr-08, 17:26

Dunnett's today have increased their prices again, unleaded is now 114.9p! I went along to Tesco and put £40 in, that usually lasts me at least one month, they have not increased the price of their unleaded as it's still 108.9p.

Dusty
25-Apr-08, 19:09
The Ineos refinery at Grangemouth accounts for approximately 9% of the UK refining capacity.
24% of the refining capacity of the Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth is given over to petrol production. This percentage is, I am given to understand, roughly in line with the other UK refineries.
The Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth therefore acounts for 24% of 9% of the UK petrol producing capacity or around 2.16% of the UK total.
Petrol is regularly brought into Grangemouth, normally by sea and is distributed from there by road and rail.
There is no petrol shortage because of the impending industrial action at the Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth...yet.
The shutdown of the Forties Pipeline System will result in the loss of about 740,000 barrels of oil per day (about 30% of the UKs daily oil imports) worth circa £25 million in revenue. The gas associated with this oil will also be lost.
When that happens, we should see some action from Westminster shortly afterwards.

northener
25-Apr-08, 20:30
Here's a thought, Caithness has a population similar to that of a not very big town down south.

We've got more fuel stations per head than any town I can think of. (4 in Wick, 3 in Thurso + smaller ones)

So, therefore, we have theoretically got larger reserves than anywhere else.

neepnipper
25-Apr-08, 22:02
Hubbie had to try 3 garages in Inverness this afternoon before he could get any fuel and that one was thinking about putting a sign up saying they were sold out.

highlandlassie
25-Apr-08, 23:46
Don't think i will be going anywhere anyway as my car is stuck in the garage cos the door is jammed and won't open. Maybe its just as well.

Moi x
26-Apr-08, 00:46
The Ineos refinery at Grangemouth accounts for approximately 9% of the UK refining capacity.
24% of the refining capacity of the Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth is given over to petrol production. This percentage is, I am given to understand, roughly in line with the other UK refineries.
The Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth therefore acounts for 24% of 9% of the UK petrol producing capacity or around 2.16% of the UK total.
I don't follow your logic Dusty. If Grangemouth accounts for 9% of the UK refining capacity and all refineries give over the same percentage of their capacity to petrol production then Grangemouth will produce 9% of the UK's petrol. I think your last sentence should be

The Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth's petrol production therefore accounts for 24% of 9% of the UK petrol total producing capacity or around 2.16% of the UK total.

Almost all of Scotland's petrol comes from Grangemouth's 9% of the UK total petrol production, and Scotland's population is 8 or 9% of the UK's population so that sounds about right.

Moi x

Dusty
26-Apr-08, 10:35
I don't follow your logic Dusty. If Grangemouth accounts for 9% of the UK refining capacity and all refineries give over the same percentage of their capacity to petrol production then Grangemouth will produce 9% of the UK's petrol. I think your last sentence should be

The Ineos Refinery at Grangemouth's petrol production therefore accounts for 24% of 9% of the UK petrol total producing capacity or around 2.16% of the UK total.

Almost all of Scotland's petrol comes from Grangemouth's 9% of the UK total petrol production, and Scotland's population is 8 or 9% of the UK's population so that sounds about right.

Moi x

Moi,

There is nothing remotely logical about my statement as I am a complete dunderheid when it comes to figures and am very easily confused.
It all made perfect sense when I wrote it, but then so does your amendment.

Anyhow, I either, Stand Corrected, Told You So or Give Up (delete as applicable) :D.

bekisman
26-Apr-08, 12:11
Nothing is stopping this weeker from coming home!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7367575.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7367575.stm)

highbury
26-Apr-08, 13:08
had to chuckle this morning - went for fuel - about a 50yard backlog for the filling station, and, as some of you know , I am down in South East Kent !!!

sphinx
26-Apr-08, 17:45
well i got the shock of my life when i seen the price of diesil and petrol up here in caithness i think the garages are taking avantage of the current situation :(

Seabird
26-Apr-08, 18:21
well i got the shock of my life when i seen the price of diesil and petrol up here in caithness i think the garages are taking avantage of the current situation :(

Orkney is up around 130p per litre for unleaded i would hate to think of the price in Shetland or the Western Isles.

Mik.M.
26-Apr-08, 19:34
In the paper today Alex Salmond said he would crack down on petrol profiteers if we report them to him,the local stations in Thurso should be penalised as the are all taking the public for mugs and increasing their prices as they please. Go to Tesco,it`s the only way to get back at the Rip Off Merchants.

sphinx
26-Apr-08, 20:14
well said i think they should be reported to as they are all at it........:D

the_count
26-Apr-08, 20:31
Its gonna get worse before it gets better, and i can see the prices soaring skyward until the next delivery comes up the road.

bekisman
26-Apr-08, 20:47
Miknhev: "In the paper today Alex Salmond said he would crack down on petrol profiteers if we report them to him.."

Here's his contact email (honest) Scottish Exec website

Alex Salmond
FirstMinister@scotland.gsi.gov.uk (FirstMinister@scotland.gsi.gov.uk)

brokencross
27-Apr-08, 13:03
Worth remembering that these guys are fighting for their pension rights..not just trying to screw things up for the sake of it.

Just watched the Politics Show on BBC1, apparently even before the strike started the "threat" to existing pensions has been taken off the table by the company and they want to open to new negotiations about existing pensions so that they can come to an acceptable agreement about proposed changes

The big changes to pensions proposed at the moment will only affect new employees. The workers are striking for people who don't even work for the company yet. (A strike in time saves nine??)

porshiepoo
27-Apr-08, 18:34
I have to get my daughter down to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary tomorrow for a check up. Could fuel be a problem? :eek: Managed to fill up in Wick today but I'm worried about getting fuel en route.

Max
27-Apr-08, 18:39
Hubby came back from Perth on Saturday no problem getting fuel at all

Dusty
27-Apr-08, 19:40
[quote=brokencross;377864]the "threat" to existing pensions has been taken off the table by the company and they want to open to new negotiations about existing pensions so that they can come to an acceptable agreement about proposed changes
The big changes to pensions proposed at the moment will only affect new employees.quote]

The "threat to existing pensions has not been "taken off the table". The company merely proposed deferring their introduction for three months "to allow meaningful talks" (or a cynic might suggest, to complete the annual shutdown programme).

The theat to pensions is that Ineos want their employees to contribute to a pension scheme that will provide less benefit than currently, retire later and accept higher (than existing) penalties for pensions taken early (even for medical grounds).
The introduction of a Defined Contribution scheme for a Money Purchase Pension for new personnel starting is also a threat to existing pensions as when the balance of existing vs new changes, the contributions to the existing scheme will fall and it WILL become unsustainable as there will be insufficient contributions being made to provide adequate pensions. Then it can be closed and the members transferred to the Defined Contributions scheme. With no new system allowed, that cannot happen and new starts get the same benefits as existing employees.

The pension is not "Free", the take home pay of Ineos employees is lower than that of a comparable oil industry workforce to compensate for the pension being non-contributary. Successive wage negotiations have always taken this into account. So to ask the pension scheme members to contribute six percent of gross earnings to the scheme is to ask them to pay twice for a lesser pension

Neither has the Forties Pipeline System been shut down due to a lack of power, steam or cooling water, it's been shut down because BP have run out of storage capacity. I do not know for sure, but in all likelyhood, some of the offshore platforms (BPs of course) will be on reduced production and "line packing".

Union members are providing fire watch, safety and emergency repair cover and are not claimimg any wages for this. The Union agreed that additional fuel supplies could be shipped in and transported via the company's jettys and distribution system to ensure fuel supplies for critical services and again an unpaid element of the workforce will ensure those operations are carried out safely.
The reality is somewhat different from the stories given in interview by Ineos management and perpetuated on the Oil and Gas UK web site.

The Ineos workforce are not asking for anything other than that which they had previously negotiated is left alone.

karia
27-Apr-08, 19:50
Hear, hear!

Thanks for saving my typing finger dusty..and being more eloquent also.:D

MadPict
27-Apr-08, 22:38
Wonder if the retailers that have increased their prices during the Grangemouth strike will be so quick to drop them back down after it is all over...

brokencross
28-Apr-08, 07:17
[quote=brokencross;377864]the "threat" to existing pensions has been taken off the table by the company and they want to open to new negotiations about existing pensions so that they can come to an acceptable agreement about proposed changes
The big changes to pensions proposed at the moment will only affect new employees.quote]

The "threat to existing pensions has not been "taken off the table". The company merely proposed deferring their introduction for three months "to allow meaningful talks" (or a cynic might suggest, to complete the annual shutdown programme).

The theat to pensions is that Ineos want their employees to contribute to a pension scheme that will provide less benefit than currently, retire later and accept higher (than existing) penalties for pensions taken early (even for medical grounds).
The introduction of a Defined Contribution scheme for a Money Purchase Pension for new personnel starting is also a threat to existing pensions as when the balance of existing vs new changes, the contributions to the existing scheme will fall and it WILL become unsustainable as there will be insufficient contributions being made to provide adequate pensions. Then it can be closed and the members transferred to the Defined Contributions scheme. With no new system allowed, that cannot happen and new starts get the same benefits as existing employees.

The pension is not "Free", the take home pay of Ineos employees is lower than that of a comparable oil industry workforce to compensate for the pension being non-contributary. Successive wage negotiations have always taken this into account. So to ask the pension scheme members to contribute six percent of gross earnings to the scheme is to ask them to pay twice for a lesser pension

Neither has the Forties Pipeline System been shut down due to a lack of power, steam or cooling water, it's been shut down because BP have run out of storage capacity. I do not know for sure, but in all likelyhood, some of the offshore platforms (BPs of course) will be on reduced production and "line packing".

Union members are providing fire watch, safety and emergency repair cover and are not claimimg any wages for this. The Union agreed that additional fuel supplies could be shipped in and transported via the company's jettys and distribution system to ensure fuel supplies for critical services and again an unpaid element of the workforce will ensure those operations are carried out safely.
The reality is somewhat different from the stories given in interview by Ineos management and perpetuated on the Oil and Gas UK web site.

The Ineos workforce are not asking for anything other than that which they had previously negotiated is left alone.

I certainly bow to your greater depth of knowledge of the situation; all I would say is that many other major companies have had to adapt their pension schemes to suit the changes in the economic and social climates. It would appear to be an unpopular but necessary evil in todays corporate world.

With what you know, is there some element of truth in the companies claims that to remain competitive and to leave room for future investment ensuring a long term future at the site, things will have to change, the operation of the pension scheme being one of them? Or is that all piffle and idle scaremongering to force through the changes.

Dusty
28-Apr-08, 12:10
Ineos made £414 million of profit (not turnover) from the Grangemouth site alone last year. This money goes directly to Jim Ratcliffe as there are no shareholders (in the normal sense *) in the company and he has no board to answer to. He decides how much, if any, of that profit is re-invested in the site. I would suspect that £414 million could pay for a fair bit of work, fund the pension scheme (£1.3 million) and provide a decent income for Mr Ratcliffe.

There is currently a large remediation project ongoing at the site which is in part being paid for by BP as this work was highlighted during the Due Diligence excercise carried out prior to purchase (much as the cost of maintaining the pension scheme would have been). The site is suffering from the effects of the years of lack of investment under BP so there is still much to do, that cannot be denied.

Jim Ratcliffe purchased ICI's Runcorn site after one of the longest Due Diligence excercises in recent corporate history, so he was (or should have been) fully aware of what he was buying. Subsequent to purchase, he decided he had been sold a pup and approached the government for £300 million to invest in the plant to ensure that it remained viable, competitive and had a long term future. the alternative, Mr Ratcliffe said was the closure of the site with the associated 3000+ jobs. He eventually walked away with £50 million of taxpayer's money to "do up" the Runcorn plant.

Ineos have repeatedly stated in the media that Grangemouth requires £740 million of investment in the G4 Ethylene plant in order to ensure that the site remains viable, competitive and has a long term future. £740 million is a lot of money to be spent on just one plant. The consequences of him not being able to make this "investment" according to Gordon Grant is 660 Ineos job losses with the knock-on effect to the local and wider community. Do you see a pattern emerging here?

I think that Messers Salmond and Brown will soon be hearing Jim Ratcliffe "Rattling the Tin".

Mr Ratcliffe secured Scottish Executive funding to help build a Bio-diesel plant at Grangemouth. This plant alone was to have secured the site's future and long term viability. The proposed site of the plant has been returned to its original condition after some investigate work and pile driving and we are told that an expansion of the Bio-diesel plant in France will take place instead. I am unsure how much of the Scottish Executive funding total was actually expended, but not enough to build the plant obviously.

The assault on the Final Salary Pension scheme is part of his "finance raising initiative" to fund refurbishment and further aquisitions.

*Ineos personnel were invited to purchase "Shares" in the company (not the Grangemouth site) at a total cost of about £500 I think it was. Two offers to subscribe were made.
The original investment is not returned even when you retire or leave the company.
The company decide if any dividend will be paid or if the money available will be re-invested in the company.
Another great Ineos deal!

Mik.M.
28-Apr-08, 20:10
Wonder if the retailers that have increased their prices during the Grangemouth strike will be so quick to drop them back down after it is all over... Good point MadPict,suspect you are right tho. Money grabbing gits.:lol:

joxville
28-Apr-08, 23:42
I have no idea of the fuel prices up in Caithness but down here in Hampshire my local garage has put his diesel up to £1.22 litre, last week it was £1.15

I know I shouldn't complain because I'm sure that is less than Scottish prices but yet again it's an example of jumping on the bandwagon/rip of Britain.

bekisman
29-Apr-08, 10:08
Joxville: "I have no idea of the fuel prices up in Caithness"

Try: www.petrolprices.com (http://www.petrolprices.com)

joxville
29-Apr-08, 11:52
Joxville: "I have no idea of the fuel prices up in Caithness"

Try: www.petrolprices.com (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.petrolprices.com)

Thanks for the link Bekisman. Now I know for a fact my local garage is ripping us off. Caithness has always been about 15p more than the national average. The price of fuel at the garage I use here in Hampshire is as follows:

Unleaded £1.19 litre Diesel £1.22 litre

Yet according to petrolprices the the lowest and highest prices for the Caithness postcode I entered was as follows:

Unleaded £1.14-£1.16 Diesel £1.25-£1.27

If I could avoid using my car I would, but unfortunately the local bus service doesn't meet my needs.

MadPict
29-Apr-08, 12:01
joxville,
Same prices as in the East of England UnL:£1.10/D:£1.22 at my BP while Shell 3/4 mile away is £1.10/£1.19 respectively. I filled up with Shell yesterday...

The suggestion by the president of OPEC that the price of a barrel of oil may hit $200 means the motorist might be in for a long hard ride...

joxville
30-Apr-08, 01:40
One of my workmate's reckon's diesel will hit £1.90 by the end of the year! I've bet him £10 that he's wrong. It will go up in price but I really don't think it could get that high.

MadPict
30-Apr-08, 10:25
Well, it's $120 a barrel at the moment - if the pump price rises match any barrel price it may well be £2 a litre soon...

Now, where's my deep fat fryer?.......

bekisman
03-May-08, 16:38
Just returned to 'out west' from our usual shopping trip..
Over to Wick Tesco's again - well with a 20,000 line choice why not?.. (by the way, to those in the know; the Curry Sauce is now 4p!) we needed to fill up after the recent fuel scare so on the way over, had a deviation via Thurso; now where shall we get our fuel?; Pennyland with their Unleaded at 115.9p a litre, or Richards at 113.9p? nah, continue over to Wick.
First Dunnets at 114.9, then Elmtree at 112.9 until we finally arrive at Tesco with theirs at 109.9. We thought about it (as you do) maybe Pennyland's at 6p a litre more MUST be better quality, but we've always used Tesco fuel and never any problems with our V70 and with £3.60 a filling going into our pockets instead of theirs, why not..
Love em or loath em, dread to think what we'd be paying if Tesco wasn't up here and won't be long before we'll be filling up at Thurso Tesco..

Highland Laddie
04-May-08, 12:53
Love em or loath em, dread to think what we'd be paying if Tesco wasn't up here and won't be long before we'll be filling up at Thurso Tesco..

I wouldn't hold your breath m8.

bekisman
04-May-08, 14:55
Care to clarify?