PDA

View Full Version : WQS Surfing contest - Thurso / Surf Dudes

bagpuss2
22-Apr-08, 09:59
Hi

Anyone know if the weather conditions i.e swell etc are going to be favourable for the surf contest over the next week.

Also wondering why it seems that there is no great fanfare regarding the area having a world event like this with associated media coverage etc. Should we not be doing so much more to welcome these surfers. Hardly a mention on the Org or local papers, why such apathy? This is the third year of the event we should really be doing so much more..........Personally I think it is wonderful for the area and a great opportunity to showcase Thurso and Caithness.

pat
22-Apr-08, 10:14
Met some of these surfers - were wearing O'Neill sweats at Edinburgh airport on Sunday, seemed quite surprised I knew about event and where it was taking place.

They were European and were looking forward to the chance to surf on some of the best surf around, they advised water temperature was ging to be fairly good?

They were also looking forward to surfing with a scottish castle in the background and the ferry sailing past.

Best wishes to all concerned with this event.

Kevin Milkins
22-Apr-08, 10:44
Hi

Anyone know if the weather conditions i.e swell etc are going to be favourable for the surf contest over the next week.

Also wondering why it seems that there is no great fanfare regarding the area having a world event like this with associated media coverage etc. Should we not be doing so much more to welcome these surfers. Hardly a mention on the Org or local papers, why such apathy? This is the third year of the event we should really be doing so much more..........Personally I think it is wonderful for the area and a great opportunity to showcase Thurso and Caithness.

I agree With bagpuss2 on this one. My son who lives in Exeter phoned and asked was I going to watch the big surfing event in Thurso and he was amazed when I said what surfing event.

thebigman
22-Apr-08, 11:25
Not the best forecast for wind direction up to Sunday but Brimms should get a bit of decent surf from Friday onwards.

Fairly tyical, when the surfers are here the wind is fine for fishing and vice versa!

George Brims
22-Apr-08, 20:19
Ahem. There is only one "m" in Brims. Except on about 1/3 of my mail...

Mr P Cannop
22-Apr-08, 20:46
just heard the surfs are in thurso today

sids
22-Apr-08, 20:50
Hope they appreciate me breaking my back lifting litter at Thurso East last Friday!

DeHaviLand
22-Apr-08, 21:00
Wave heights of 1.5 metres forecast for Saturday, and as much as 3.0 metres on Sunday. Check this link if you really want to bore someone with your knowledge of wave heights, wind speeds and wave directions :) http://windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=4160

ett23
22-Apr-08, 21:42
This is a link to a good website that gives detail of surf forecast.

http://magicseaweed.com/Thurso-Surf-Report/47/

Sunday looks to be pretty good for surf but there's a strong wind too which might flatten the swell - depends what direction the wind is coming from.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Apr-08, 22:01
Hi

I agree, it's a disgrace. But hey it's Thurso, no-one really cares.

Torvaig
22-Apr-08, 22:53
Well I beg to differ; I have heard plenty about the championships being held in Thurso; from locals to others not from here but have heard about it! In fact the local people I have been speaking to are sympathising with the lack of waves at the moment but, finger crossed, things seem to be improving....the information is out there if you are interested; some people are not and last I heard it is not compulsory....;)

ads
22-Apr-08, 22:55
"O' Neill" flags are flying at entrance to Ackergill Tower, Wick.

Torvaig
22-Apr-08, 22:56
This is a link to a good website that gives detail of surf forecast.

http://magicseaweed.com/Thurso-Surf-Report/47/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://magicseaweed.com/Thurso-Surf-Report/47/)

Sunday looks to be pretty good for surf but there's a strong wind too which might flatten the swell - depends what direction the wind is coming from.

I agree; it's the site I use for my forays to Thurso beach....very informative...

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Apr-08, 00:33
Well I beg to differ; I have heard plenty about the championships being held in Thurso; from locals to others not from here but have heard about it! In fact the local people I have been speaking to are sympathising with the lack of waves at the moment but, finger crossed, things seem to be improving....the information is out there if you are interested; some people are not and last I heard it is not compulsory....;)

Have the local papers been writing features in the lead up to this amazingly unique event? Have the council done slightly more than scrawling Welcome on a banner to herald the international surfing community? Have facilities stretched far beyond the back of someone's car? Has the local tourism chiefs clamped onto this international event like hungry lympets?

Make no mistake this competition is a big, big event. TV crews from all around the world will be in town, and it's a great chance to show Thurso - and Caithness - to a worldwide audience. We should be capitalising on this. However, as in previous years, what should be a bombastic event will simper by like a spiller on Dunnet Beach.

Kevin Milkins
23-Apr-08, 00:39
"O' Neill" flags are flying at entrance to Ackergill Tower, Wick.

I thought it said Owlets?

Cattach
23-Apr-08, 09:10
Hope they appreciate me breaking my back lifting litter at Thurso East last Friday!

Did not see many surfers there on Friday and Saturday breaking their backs but they are quick to complain about others!!

Torvaig
23-Apr-08, 09:48
Have the local papers been writing features in the lead up to this amazingly unique event? Have the council done slightly more than scrawling Welcome on a banner to herald the international surfing community? Have facilities stretched far beyond the back of someone's car? Has the local tourism chiefs clamped onto this international event like hungry lympets?

Make no mistake this competition is a big, big event. TV crews from all around the world will be in town, and it's a great chance to show Thurso - and Caithness - to a worldwide audience. We should be capitalising on this. However, as in previous years, what should be a bombastic event will simper by like a spiller on Dunnet Beach.

I know it is too late for this year but I was going to send a link to this thread to the Groat but I can't get on their site just now! :( Hopefully if we point out the feelings of folks on the subject of publicity for this event, more might be done next year......

saba
23-Apr-08, 16:44
I've been told that the contest is being reported on ITV's 5.30 show.

JamesMcVean
23-Apr-08, 18:51
Any one know what is happening in the morning with the surfing???

I have relatives staying and thought it might be worth taking them down to see them surf....

Is it thurso or brims?

One more thing - Did you know that the scottish surfing champ lives RIGHT HERE IN TOWN!! Chris Noble! He is a great dude!

LOL

Cheers

James

Kevin Milkins
23-Apr-08, 19:00
Went over to Thurso to have a look this morning and for the first time ever that I have been there ,the sea was like a millpond.
As wife and I had decided to make a day of it we headed down to Cape Wrath to do some bird watching. We stopped off at Tounge for an icecream and it sounded like world war three had kicked off on the west coast.
We were then imformed that the Navy were doing live fireing in that area.
So it was down the middle road to Lairg and on to the Mound. Bright spot to the day though was yet another fine fish tea at La Mirage on the way through Helmsdale.:confused

anneoctober
23-Apr-08, 19:19
NO wonder it's raining, the surfers are in town !:D
Wondering what you peeps think of this scenario - Perhaps we have no one "in touch" with how to organise an event of this standard. I personally would n't have a clue on where to start, but should we have someone with such expertese available, perhaps through our local councillors or the Hospitality sector? I'm quite sure Orkney would rise to the occasion and make a Tourist attraction of the championships etc.

trix
23-Apr-08, 21:07
so fit lek were 'e surfers?

were they fit? :D

mccaugm
23-Apr-08, 21:08
I was in Cardossies today at lunchtime. There was a large number of surfers who seemed to be mainly Australian. I was very impressed at how polite and courteous they were. :D Well done guys, chivalry is not dead!

Is there a surf competition locally just now or is this the beginning of a new tourist attraction for Caithness??

trix
23-Apr-08, 21:14
were they tidy?

dragon
23-Apr-08, 21:18
I think theres a surf competition over at strathy

rs 2k
23-Apr-08, 21:37
It is the o'neill highland surfing comp that is on

It is at Thurso east,Brims and strathy depending where the best waves r

They r from all over the world, really friendly guys

Think it ends on the 2nd may

karia
23-Apr-08, 22:08
were they tidy?

yes trix..they took all their empty tinnies back to the counter..choost like Jason Donovan always did.;)

LTY xxx

webmannie
23-Apr-08, 22:57
Spoke to two of them in the Comm on Sat night, seemed nice enough. Just like any other young men!

trix
23-Apr-08, 23:26
yes trix..they took all their empty tinnies back to the counter..choost like Jason Donovan always did.;)

LTY xxx

thank ma gauddess...'e state o' 'e environment these days....:roll:

young_fishin_neep
24-Apr-08, 05:17
i know atleast 3 are lol, some came up by the house on tuesday wen i wis out walking the dogs i caught site of them as i was getting to the bottom of my lane, wished i was in the house i culda gone outside and seen why they were up the lane (we dont get anybody other then dog walkers by my house) and gotten to speak to them lol... owell maybe next time... i will have to be looking in top condition all the time just in case lol

kazzii xxxxx

Bobinovich
24-Apr-08, 10:37
Plenty of info on the Highland Open website here (http://www.oneilleurope.com/highlandopen/). Must admit that the first I knew about it were the signs attached to the traffic lights... Other than that I'd not seen any other local publicity which is a real shame.

Hope the local guesthouses, eateries & shops are doing good trade tho'.

kara
24-Apr-08, 11:22
Thurso really should make more of a fuss. I was in Tignes in the Alps snowboarding, and most the people knew where Thurso was, and that it was one of the best places in the world for surfing. Made me want to get into surfing, and to be proud of Caithness.

trix
24-Apr-08, 12:41
i know atleast 3 are lol, some came up by the house on tuesday wen i wis out walking the dogs i caught site of them as i was getting to the bottom of my lane, wished i was in the house i culda gone outside and seen why they were up the lane (we dont get anybody other then dog walkers by my house) and gotten to speak to them lol... owell maybe next time... i will have to be looking in top condition all the time just in case lol

kazzii xxxxx

far aboots is yer lane??

am off til get ma tent packed...meet ye there in half an oer ;)