PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

Fantoosh
21-Apr-08, 22:35
Hey everyone. Just looking for some advice. A while back in march I bought a washing machine off someone on the org and it didn't work.(I had a thread on here asking if anyone knew how to work it because thought i just was switching it on wrong) Well its broken, and the guy who sold me it has said he would come up and fix it, but has never come. I have now bought another one as i ran out of patience and tired of doing washing at my sisters. I have pm'd the guy on here to come back and get the washing machine as i want my money back, and this hasn't happened. Is there anything i can do, or it a lost cause?

Cheers everyone

TBH
21-Apr-08, 22:42
Found this information on consumer rights for you:

You have fewer rights when you buy privately or at an auction. In a private sale, the goods must be as described, but a seller who is not acting as a business is not covered by the rules on satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose.

Link (http://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dt/browse/law/index.cfm?fs=lga&sid=75907&aid=34170)

ciderally
21-Apr-08, 22:46
think your stuffed by the looks of it....what a shame..chalk it up to experiance...but you never know...maybe

Fantoosh
21-Apr-08, 22:48
okay thanks for replying, was kind of expecting not to get it back to be honest. just hope the guy doesn't do it to someone else on here.

okay thanks again.

TBH
21-Apr-08, 23:17
okay thanks for replying, was kind of expecting not to get it back to be honest. just hope the guy doesn't do it to someone else on here.

okay thanks again.I don't think it reflects well on C.Org so I would report it to admin. Probably not a lot they can do but it will make them aware of the situation.

Metalattakk
21-Apr-08, 23:22

okay thanks again.

Name and shame the cheating, lying git.

No wait, threaten to name and shame the cheating, lying git. ;)

Riffman
21-Apr-08, 23:25
Can you give us any information about the problem with it?

Most things are fixable.

anneoctober
21-Apr-08, 23:25

No wait, threaten to name and shame the cheating, lying git.
I never thought the day would come , when we would agree on something MA.....:eek:[lol]

Fran
22-Apr-08, 01:30
Phone Trading Standards. They are very helpful. I contacted them about a business transaction, not private, when i ordered two tops from QVC and they charged vat on top of the price which was not advertised, but worse than thAT.......they charged me vat on top of the postage too. The bill was huge and not as advertised.

Boozeburglar
22-Apr-08, 11:05
Take it and dump it at their front door, and confront them about it and demand your money back.

Oh, and wear a wire, in case they spill the beans.

:)

golach
22-Apr-08, 11:12

No wait, threaten to name and shame the cheating, lying git. ;)
I fully agree with this stance and I hope fantoosh gets some satisfasction, but is this not a case of Caveat Emptor ......Let the buyer beware :eek:

Metalattakk
22-Apr-08, 12:38
Surely it works both ways? If the seller rips people off, he gets named and shamed as a warning to other prospective buyers.

Think of it like the feedback system on eBay. ;)

EDDIE
22-Apr-08, 18:21

okay thanks again.

Its just one of those unfortante things u have to put down to experience the only thing u can do is name him and shame him small area news travels fast and its better to warn everyone about him so nobody else gets done i personally would take the washing machine to him and leave it outside his door but thats just me

scotsboy
22-Apr-08, 18:29
Get him named and shamed.

Fantoosh
22-Apr-08, 20:23
you think thats what i should do then yeah? I think i should, for the sake of everyone else in caithness. [lol] He does buy and sell quite a lot. Okay, here goes............Ill give him another chance first. Will send another pm, see what happens after that.

DeHaviLand
22-Apr-08, 21:24
Na, name and shame, we'll organise a collection to pay for the repair;):)

karia
22-Apr-08, 21:33
Whilst I understand the gut reaction going on here...I can see a few legal problems in the offing.

I assume those urging 'Name and shame' have looked into the legal consequences of so doing.

Boozeburglar
22-Apr-08, 21:36
Assuming the user name is not their real name I don't think you have a problem mentioning it.

NLP
22-Apr-08, 21:38
If he sell's a lot it makes me wonder if he has done this before. It's a shame as it might make folk think twice about buying from the org pages.

karia
22-Apr-08, 21:40
Assuming the user name is not their real name I don't think you have a problem mentioning it.

Well she would still be accusing someone of something and there would be a compulsion then to answer on the org or be presumed guilty.

Has he been served wi' notice?:confused

Metalattakk
23-Apr-08, 02:26
Fantoosh,

If he's guilty then he disna have a leg 'til stand on. Simple as that. You've gone beyond the basic, expected routes to resolve this issue, and yet still you have no sign of satisfactory resolution.

I'd urge you to speak to the moderators for clarification first, but jings, crivvens and assist my Robert, I'd be shouting this from the rooftops if someone had behaved so reprehensibly towards me.

I believe it's your civic duty to let other members of the community know about this person's moral turpitude.