PDA

View Full Version : Tiny cloches to speed things on

cockerel
21-Apr-08, 14:02
:lol: I make tiny cloches from empty plastic juice bottles. I cut the neck off, cut the base off then cut the bottle in two halves length-wise.
Be carefull as plastic can be very sharp. For starting off seeds they are fantastic. I tried an experiment using the "cloches" on part of a row of seeds and the difference is unbelieveable. They are way ahead of the rest.
This is my first post so please bear with me.

Riffman
21-Apr-08, 15:27
On a similar note, I found a great way of bringing on new grass is to put up an empty tent over it. It will grow around 10 times faster than exposed to the cold caithness air.

henry20
22-Apr-08, 08:04
Its to early in the morning for me to think straight!!

I have a packet of seeds and it recommended using a cloche - I'm assuming by your description it is like a miniature poly tunnel??

neepnipper
22-Apr-08, 10:57
I use the plastic containers that Tescos sell their strawberries in, they're perfect for seeds, just put a few drainage holes in the bottom, put compost in, sow the seeds, pop the plastic lid on and you're away!
They are like mini greenhouses, I have a row of them on my window sill and all the seeds are coming up a treat.

cockerel
22-Apr-08, 13:49
Yes Henry20. It's a VERY mini poly tunnel but it sure gives your seeds a good start. It's well worth a try. Good luck

henry20
22-Apr-08, 13:54
I'm not much of a gardener anyway, but I've taken a notion to try and grow corn on the cob!! I'm going to have to make a section of the garden dog free and dig a bit for veg. Thankfully I've got a bit without grass where we lifted paving slabs and haven't put grass seed down yet.

I did plant bulbs over winter, but forgot what they were by the time they grew :roll: but at least they grew!!

cockerel
22-Apr-08, 13:58
Like you neepnipper, I recycle lots of stuff from supermarkets. If you buy a fresh cream sponge, they come in a super little container with an attached lid. Fill the deepest part with compost, scatter your seeds, a light sprinkling of water, close the lid and BINGO, you're off.
The trays you get when buying fresh meat are great for filling with water, place your plant in it. You can go away for a few days and your plants won't dry out.

roadbowler
26-Apr-08, 00:03
henry, i'm so glad im not the only nutter that is going to try and grow sweetcorn in caithness!

I try to stay away from the hybrid seeds as they are designed to grow in their ideal conditions among other things so, have a heirloom bicolour variety. Good luck to you!

The cloches sound good. Ive been germinating inside then putting the seedlings in the hotbox.

Have 6 very large raised beds and have sown 1 up with cut n come again lettuce, salad burnet, mizuna, rocket, spinach, radishes plus using the other part of that bed to start brussels and a heirloom sutherland kale. Next bed ive only started peas and borage. Having a serious experiment to figure out the climate adjustment from edinburgh.

henry20
26-Apr-08, 08:57
Well roadbowler, I won't be holding my breath. Yesterday morning I planted some begonia's (I'm fairly new to gardening) and later in the day was having a discussion with someone that was buying some.

Fair proud of myself I was 'I planted mine this morning' only to discover later in the conversation that I'd planted them upside down :roll: :L

Kevin Milkins
26-Apr-08, 09:02
I'm not much of a gardener anyway, but I've taken a notion to try and grow corn on the cob!! I'm going to have to make a section of the garden dog free and dig a bit for veg. Thankfully I've got a bit without grass where we lifted paving slabs and haven't put grass seed down yet.

I did plant bulbs over winter, but forgot what they were by the time they grew :roll: but at least they grew!!

Hi henry20
You may find that you are a bit far north to grow corn on the cob unless you have a proper polly tunnell. If you do have a go remember to grow it in a block and not in a straight row.
Good luck.
Regards Kevin Milkins

henry20
26-Apr-08, 10:03
Poly tunnel :eek: I've only got a tiny garden :lol:
Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!