PDA

View Full Version : cats diarrhoea

sadam
21-Apr-08, 11:08
has anyone come up against a cat with Diarrhoea as it is giving him a sore bum now. I have not taken him to the vet yet as I am trying just keeping him on the dry food for a few days. Does anyone have any advise for me that would help Please

dousslesh
21-Apr-08, 12:09
I have Ferrel Cats and I know they need worming when they are 'a bit runny ' ! Don't know if that is relevant Although personaly I would probably get the vet to check the cat if it were mine -Just in case it isn't something 'going around' Good luck !

Julia
21-Apr-08, 12:13
It would be wise to withhold food for 24 hours initially as anything your cat eats will just perpetuate the problem. Then move on to easily digested food such as boiled white rice and white fish, boiled chicken or pasta, as a rule it is best not to give your cat milk to drink only water.

Liz
21-Apr-08, 13:00
If your cat is quite well apart from this then homeopathic remedies can really help.

Merc Sol or Merc Corr (for really bad diarrohea) have both worked my cats when they have had the runs.

I have some Canikur granules you could try if you want. The only problem is you have to make it into a paste so not sure how good your cat would be at taking this?

sadam
21-Apr-08, 15:53
she is a 12 and half year old cat and only noticed when getting the wet food like Whiskas pouches this is when she has it. this is only recently as I think it maybe connected to a family upset, Would that be the case??

Liz
21-Apr-08, 17:42
If it only happens when you give her Whiskas pouches then change to another food.

Cats can react to upsets but I would think it is more likely to be that the food is upsetting her tum.

sadam
21-Apr-08, 20:26
thank for getting back, where would I get this Merc Sol or Merc Corr or some Canikur granules. I could give some of that a try

Liz
21-Apr-08, 22:17
You might get it from a chemist. If not try Ainsworths online.

The only problem with homeopathic remedies is they are best given away from food. How is your cat at taking medication?
Having said that I have given it to my cats in a very small amount of bland food. Butter would be fine.

If you haven't given homeopathic remedies before then you musn't touch the tablets so it is best to tip them into a spoon and then crush them with the back of another spoon.

I have some canikur granules you could try if you pm me your details but I found the paste quite difficult to give to a cat.