PDA

View Full Version : Dogs off the lead

JamesMcVean
21-Apr-08, 10:13
I get really annoyed with dog owners who cannot control their dogs...I own a wee cairn terrier "Dougal" who is aggressive towards Dogs but ok with Bitches...When we walk, I have to shorten the lead regularly till I see he is ok with the other dogs who run free...He has gotten into bother several times by bigger dogs who's irresponsible owners who shout their dogs back but they do not answer!

If you cannot control your dog...KEEP IT ON A LEASH!!!

James

Ash
21-Apr-08, 10:31
I get really annoyed with dog owners who cannot control their dogs...I own a wee cairn terrier "Dougal" who is aggressive towards Dogs but ok with Bitches...When we walk, I have to shorten the lead regularly till I see he is ok with the other dogs who run free...He has gotten into bother several times by bigger dogs who's irresponsible owners who shout their dogs back but they do not answer!

James

i totally agree

we have a cocker spaniel alfie he is one now, we will not let him off his lead unless there are no other dogs, yesterday whilst on the beach some big black lab came up to him and would not leave him alone, the owner walked along the top of pier and did nothing...alfie is still a puppy so he is very hyper, he doesnt understand the dangers of other animals......

TBH
21-Apr-08, 10:36

JamesI take it your pet suffers from little dog syndrone. Rawwrrrrr.:lol:

Julia
21-Apr-08, 10:43
I take it your pet suffers from little dog syndrone. Rawwrrrrr.:lol:

My little dog suffers from a strange syndrome, somebody could break in and murder me and she wouldn't give a stuff but if something flies in the airspace over our house then woe betide!

lelebo
21-Apr-08, 10:45
I totally agree - my terrier is agressive towards other dogs but I think the main reason is owners who don't keep their dogs on a lead and can't control them - he's been attacked several times by bigger dogs so now he's just goes mad if he sees one. Dogs are not supposed to be let off the lead anyway!!

Sapphire2803
21-Apr-08, 11:14
I've got sort of the opposite problem. Our german shepherd is always kept on the lead because she can be aggressive towards other dogs, I get other dogs bounding over, she will then growl and snap at them, I have to damn near hang her with the lead to stop her. I've taken all sorts of abuse from other dog owners for this. I've been told she should be muzzled many a time. I don't want to muzzle her, she's not vicious,she just doesn't like strange dogs, I've had many a dog owner retrieve their dog and then tell me that I should control my dog! I always keep her on a lead and if other folk kept control of their dogs there would be no problem. Why do I get the blame?

jings00
21-Apr-08, 11:17
i have a terrier and he disny like big dogs. he isny much keen on wee dogs either, mind you. but.... i will only let him off the lead if there is no one else about, or they are at the other end of the beach, for example. i will put him on the lead when others are walking their dogs nearby.
he has been attacked by a german shephard outside riverside dentist, i had just tied him to the railings cos i was gonna pop in with something, and this silly woman comes running out, screaming, then the hubby had to come out and get his mutt. he has also been aggressively pestered by a black lab up in ormlie a couple of times. he also got a scud off the cat in the vet's too!! woose.
what else gets my goat is when parents let their kids come running up shouting "what a nice doggie can i pat him!!???",,,, eh, no, cos he isny sure of kids. then they get a fright cos he barks like mad and i get deeks from the parents.

Sapphire2803
21-Apr-08, 11:25
My daughter used to be one of those kids who run up to dogs, I told her time and time again not to do it, She'd say "But I like dogs", I'd say "Yeah, but who says they like you?" I gave up trying to tell her.
The last time she did it was a couple of years ago, she got nipped. I told her she was lucky that the dog thought she was worthy of a warning and didn't just bite her hand off. Not a jot of sympathy for her, still, she won't do it again.
I'm never sure how my dog will react to strange kids, but so far (Thank God) she's been great with them. I'm always amazed how many people (young and old) will cross the road to avoid her. Yes, she's a big dog, but when she's wandering along with her tongue lolling out looking dopey, you wouldn't expect folk to see her as a threat.

Ash
21-Apr-08, 11:54
i dont blame some dogs for snapping at others i mean would you like it if someone came and smelt your bum! on seconds thoughts dont answer that!:lol:

TBH
21-Apr-08, 12:25
He also got a scud off the cat in the vet's too!! woose.
Thanks for a good laugh.[lol]

unicorn
21-Apr-08, 12:32
If your dog is on a lead and under control at the time then you are in the right. You are responsible enough to anticipate problems and control your dog in a way that others should take heed of.

jings00
21-Apr-08, 16:21
Yeh, Sapphire, that is what i am afraid of, not all parents would be as understanding about it. so far he has only nipped the vet once, but i would hate to see him have a chow on a bairn!

Sapphire2803
21-Apr-08, 17:18
Yeh, Sapphire, that is what i am afraid of, not all parents would be as understanding about it. so far he has only nipped the vet once, but i would hate to see him have a chow on a bairn!

I know exactly what you mean.
Like I said, I don't want to muzzle my dog, but I have now got a halti collar for her, if you pull upwards it closes her mouth and acts like a muzzle. I leave it loose most of the time, but when I think there might be trouble I put my hand on it, ready.

Rie
21-Apr-08, 21:07
I agree, my terrier can be un predictable so if there are other dogs around he is kept on the lead,
what really annoys me is people who let their dogs wonder up to others and even if you say" my dog isnt friendly" as you are feeling the growl going up the lead there response is "oh well mine wont hurt him"
But if my dog then has a go at said dog after a warning has been given im still the bad person??????

tisme
23-Apr-08, 11:47
I've got sort of the opposite problem. Our german shepherd is always kept on the lead because she can be aggressive towards other dogs, I get other dogs bounding over, she will then growl and snap at them, I have to damn near hang her with the lead to stop her. I've taken all sorts of abuse from other dog owners for this. I've been told she should be muzzled many a time. I don't want to muzzle her, she's not vicious,she just doesn't like strange dogs, I've had many a dog owner retrieve their dog and then tell me that I should control my dog! I always keep her on a lead and if other folk kept control of their dogs there would be no problem. Why do I get the blame?

SNAP - I have exactly the same problem with my german shepherd. I feel so bad when we are walking along bothering nooone, then I have to pull her hard when some random dog comes up behind her. It is very annoying.

shhwelle
23-Apr-08, 12:02
I have this problem as well. My pup is now almost 6 months old and thankfully she comes straight back when i whistle but she has had a few rough moments. She has learnt her lesson now thanfkully.

The worst thing is some of the owners just laughed and half heartedly gave their dogs a row. Gauranteed if one of my dogs was to snap back they'd be up in arms!

:confused some of the dog owners need to take a hand in showing their dog it isnt acceptable

jings00
23-Apr-08, 12:13
I know exactly what you mean.
Like I said, I don't want to muzzle my dog, but I have now got a halti collar for her, if you pull upwards it closes her mouth and acts like a muzzle. I leave it loose most of the time, but when I think there might be trouble I put my hand on it, ready.

yeh, i use a halti too, it is a good wee gadget. i also find that sometimes folk will ask if he will bite, why is he wearing a muzzle, so it does get folk to stop and think a second before just shovin their hands in his face.
it's really helpful when goin past other dogs and there is a bit of grrr goin back and forth.