PDA

View Full Version : A name for the WHS Campaign - Any ideas?

Venture
21-Apr-08, 00:35
Id just like to thank all the people who have PM'd me to show their support re the campaign for a new Wick High School. Special thanks to our org Master Bill Fernie for all the help he has given us through the org in publicising our cause so well. You've all probably read about it but we are giving you the opportunity to SEE the state of the building for yourselves on Tuesday evening at 7 pm. All of the community are invited.

We have some very clever people on the org and Im looking for ideas of a catchy name for the Campaign, something similar to the Maternity Services Campaign who used NAG. Any ideas welcome.

I know many of you are probably sick of hearing about the campaign but Im sorry to tell you we're here to stay until we get a new school. Hopefully after Tuesday night we'll be bigger and able to shout louder at the powers that be who are already beginning to sit up and take note. We must have the support of the community behind us for this campaign to move forward. You've done it before with NAG - we can do it again for Wick High.

Have you signed our petition yet:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newwickhighschool/

Venture
21-Apr-08, 09:28
First three suggestions -

W.H.I.P. - Wick High Improvement Project

W.H.A.M. - Wick High Action Movement

21st Century N.E.W.S. - New Era for Wick High School

Please keep them coming

Julia
21-Apr-08, 10:46
I'll have a think and try and come up with a catchy name.

blackcat
21-Apr-08, 10:58
First three suggestions -

W.H.I.P. - Wick High Improvement Project

W.H.A.M. - Wick High Action Movement

21st Century N.E.W.S. - New Era for Wick High School

Please keep them coming

WHAM has been used by a waste/environmental group in Highland.

Venture
21-Apr-08, 11:01
WHAM has been used by a waste/environmental group in Highland.

Thanks blackcat will cross that one off the list.

Geo
21-Apr-08, 12:33
WHISK

Wick High School Kampaign. (It's ironic!) :)

unicorn
21-Apr-08, 12:36
WHEIC
Wick High Education Is Crucial

Flair
21-Apr-08, 13:03
I didn't take anything to do with this but thought I'd do a couple of draft ideas anyway; eventually started playing around rather childishly with it though.

W.I.N.K

Wick High needs Intelligent builders, Non-Discrimitory treatment and Key Priorities

W.I.C.K

Wick High needs Intelligent builders, Core priorities and Kwik thinking

*The silly and childish acronyms have been removed for containing inappropriate content* :lol:

cuddlepop
21-Apr-08, 16:22
Wick In Need of new School.

WINS:D

Good luck.

Kenn
21-Apr-08, 16:44
WHY.

Wick High yearns.

Scunner
21-Apr-08, 18:42
w.w.w. - weekers will win

martin macdonald
21-Apr-08, 18:56
s.o.d. save our dump:cool:

dirdyweeker
21-Apr-08, 20:40
What a great opportunity for all people to see the state of the school.Having the open night should allow more people who perhaps have not been inside the school for many years to come and have an idea of just how rundown it has become. Hope you are packed out! I would encourage all interested folk who have children at or going to WHS to attend and all other who simply would like to support a cause.

See you there!

rich
21-Apr-08, 20:51
WICK-ED
or WICKERS OF THE WORD UNITE!
or WEEKIDS
or WICK-KIDS

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 22:34
I saw it on the news today and was absolutely disgusted. If my child attended Wick High she would be staying at home for sure.

foreveruntitled
22-Apr-08, 22:38
I do agree that there is a great need for development, but am puzzled by the sudden frenzy of publicity about it, im in sixth year and it was just as bad when i was in first year.

unicorn
22-Apr-08, 22:43
I think more people realise the conditions now, that young people are being forced to work in and find it absolutely disgusting, council office workers wouldn't be expected to work in those conditions so why pupils and teachers?

lynne duncan
22-Apr-08, 22:47
these things sometimes just need a push by the right folk to start the ball rolling, and have to agree that it probably was as bad when you were in first, but also if they don't do something the powers that be will continue to just feed small amounts of money to cover the cracks and won't stem the rate of decay. if this campaign can gain the same momentum as the maternity campaign then something will hopefully give and allow a new school to be built!

KCI
23-Apr-08, 08:29
Can't think of anything catchy at the moment, but I think D.U.M.P is a great name! It certainly gets the message across.

Sapphire2803
23-Apr-08, 11:01
I think the thing that has surprised a lot of parents is that their children have never mentioned anything. My son never said a peep until I asked him, then he just sort of shrugged and listed off all the classrooms where he sits next to a boiling radiator on warm days and the windows that let in the breeze etc. To him, that's just the way it is. It doesn't occur to him that something should be done about it.
The school buildings have been neglected for far too long, they certainly won't fix themselves and the council say they can't afford it. Someone has to take responsibility.

Venture
23-Apr-08, 11:35
The only problem with DUMP is it dosen't show what the campaign is about or the name of the school. We all know what DUMP stands for but outwith the community how will people know what the parents are fighting for.

Goldie
24-Apr-08, 10:17
How about

W.I.S.H - WICK IMPROVEMENT SUPPORT for HIGH ?

I WILL KEEP ON THINKING

GOOD LUCK GOLDIE

lynne duncan
24-Apr-08, 19:02
can see where you are coming from about the dump slogan but then look at nag it wouldn't take long for the public to associate with the slogan at it is very straight to the route of the problem!

martin macdonald
24-Apr-08, 19:08
b.o.s.s. built our school soon:cool:

Venture
24-Apr-08, 19:55
can see where you are coming from about the dump slogan but then look at nag it wouldn't take long for the public to associate with the slogan at it is very straight to the route of the problem!

I actually liked it but others have said it dosent give the impression its an action group on behalf of the school. The final decision wont be taken until the first Action Group meeting in May so you never know somebody might come up with another good one before then.

Bobinovich
24-Apr-08, 21:44
Going on the premise that acronyms don't have to just be the firat letter of each word the following may be feasible...

W.A.T.C.H. - Wick High Action Group - Time for CHange

Banners could then read WATCH Out For Our Kids, WATCH This Space, etc.

or

W.H.I.R.L. - Wick HIgh RepLacement

Banners could then read Get Our Kids Out With A WHIRL.

KCI
26-Apr-08, 10:02
W.H.Y
Wick High needs You

F.A.N.S
Fighting for A New School

R.O.W.S
Resurrection Of Wick high School

Sorry - I've always been useless at this, but thought I'd give it a go!! :o

I think W.A.T.C.H is a good idea from Bobinovich.

Sapphire2803
26-Apr-08, 10:56
I'm pretty taken with W.A.T.C.H too. Another idea would be to follow on from N.A.G and call it Wick Action Group.

Moi x
27-Apr-08, 00:55
I think WATCH is ok but the acronym is a bit long and a little weak.

I thought of WAG too but it throws up unfortunate connotations of Mrs Beckham and Mrs Rooney-to-be. A combination of the two is

WHAG - Wick High Action Group

Moi x

Bobinovich
27-Apr-08, 02:23
I think WATCH is ok but the acronym is a bit long and a little weak.

I thought of WAG too but it throws up unfortunate connotations of Mrs Beckham and Mrs Rooney-to-be. A combination of the two is

WHAG - Wick High Action Group

Moi x

Aye, I did think it was a bit long winded, although the 'Group' could easily be dropped. I'll see if my mind can be coaxed for some alternatives when I'm less, erm, sozzled!

Fran
30-Apr-08, 01:35
wick High Support Group
Wick bricks for school appeal

scorrie
02-May-08, 16:38
Wick High Improvement Soon Campaign

WHISC

"If you can't beat us, join us"

Venture
02-May-08, 16:43
Thanks for the suggestion Scorrie and welcome back to the org. You have been conspicuous by your absence.;)

scorrie
05-May-08, 14:29
Thanks for the suggestion Scorrie and welcome back to the org. You have been conspicuous by your absence.;)

You are welcome. I thought that the name WHISC suggested action, agitation and bringing a mixture of ideas together to form something that will eventually create the desired effect. No half-baked ideas though ;)

As for being absent, I have not been enjoying the org of late. Too many people telling you what you can and can't say, too many people taking offence on the behalf or other users, too many people enjoying "little chats" behind the scenes.

Welcomefamily
06-May-08, 09:42
I think WATCH is good as well.

scorrie
08-May-08, 00:01
Facilities Lacking At Wick Secondary

FLAWS

Moi x
08-May-08, 00:51
IMO the name has to start with W (for Wick), it has to include the letters WH (Wick High) and it has to be positive and imply Action (A).

WHAG = Wick High Action Group is the best I have seen so far.

Moi X

Venture
08-May-08, 08:10
IMO the name has to start with W (for Wick), it has to include the letters WH (Wick High) and it has to be positive and imply Action (A).

WHAG = Wick High Action Group is the best I have seen so far.

Moi X

You'll be delighted to know then Moi x that your opinion is the same as those on the Action Group. The new name adopted at Tuesday night's meeting was WHAG - Wick High Action Group.

Moi x
08-May-08, 08:33
Delighted indeed. :D

Good luck with the campaign!

Moi x

scorrie
08-May-08, 23:30
You'll be delighted to know then Moi x that your opinion is the same as those on the Action Group. The new name adopted at Tuesday night's meeting was WHAG - Wick High Action Group.

Just out of interest, what is a WHAG? I don't think much of it as a name, it is 2/3rds poached from NAG and Wick High added. Just as well it is not for Stromness High ;)

Good luck with your efforts.

ps my Original suggestion of:- Wick High Overdue Repairs Enterprise, had plenty people knocking at the door ;)