PDA

View Full Version : Underpaid

joxville
20-Apr-08, 22:25
I want to ask my Manager for a wage rise because I consider myself to be underpaid. I want at least £3k rise, but seriously think I should say I want £6k because the HR deparment will try to knock it down, maybe even offer just £1500-£2000.

My quandary is I actually like my job and get on well with everyone, also difficult trying to find similar wage in this area, but I feel devalued because with my 5 years experience and always willing to do overtime/short notice work and presently training a new member on same money as me I don't see why I should stay. There is no incentive for me to work harder, learn new skills or do more hours etc.

I would appreciate any advice from you good people before I approach my boss. Thanks, Jox.

EDDIE
20-Apr-08, 22:54
Well if u dont ask u dont get do u.
1500 to 2000 year extra sounds a lot but its not really probably about £1 hour more.but you have to remember your boss probably might want to give u a raise but doesnt have the final say on the matter.but its like everything else in life a lot people wont take you serously unless you are prepared to leave but the big question is are u prepared to leave.
I asked last year for a wage rise and got telled they could not afford to give me a raise so i lined myself up with another job and handed in my notice and then i got a raise its quite bad that i had to go to that lenght to get a wage rise but for me i was prepared and quite happy to leave for more money?

henry20
21-Apr-08, 07:52
I guess it depends if you feel you can be replaced easily........if they refuse your request and you decide to leave, they may be able to employ someone for a lesser wage and they may be the end winner. Are you likely to find a job that you enjoy as much?

I'd say it also depends on what you actually earn now and when your last pay rise was. If you were earning £12k and asked for a £6k rise, I'd expect a downright 'on yer bike' whereas, if you are earning £40k a year, it is a reasonable percentage of pay rise to expect - unless you've had a recent pay rise.

I found out once that I was on a lot less than my colleague's - some of which I felt I worked a lot harder than, but I never said anything because before I found out, I'd been quite happy with my earnings and was happy at my job. When the next pay review came round I was put up to the the same as everyone else, so it was a genuine oversight.

I'd rather work somewhere I was happy for a lesser wage than have to work somewhere I was or may be unhappy to get a better wage - as long as my earnings covered the basics.

Cattach
21-Apr-08, 08:34
I want to ask my Manager for a wage rise because I consider myself to be underpaid. I want at least £3k rise, but seriously think I should say I want £6k because the HR deparment will try to knock it down, maybe even offer just £1500-£2000.

My quandary is I actually like my job and get on well with everyone, also difficult trying to find similar wage in this area, but I feel devalued because with my 5 years experience and always willing to do overtime/short notice work and presently training a new member on same money as me I don't see why I should stay. There is no incentive for me to work harder, learn new skills or do more hours etc.

I would appreciate any advice from you good people before I approach my boss. Thanks, Jox.

Do not stay - just go and get another job. See if it is better in terms of wages and conditions. If not then you were probably in the right job at the right rate anyway. Easy to complain but not so easy to do something about it and even harder to make the move to leave. I suspect you feel better after the moan and you probably had no intention of leaving. As for asking the boss, he/she probably is in the same state of mind as yourself and is no better able change your circumstances than his/her own. He/she too has a boss and so your problems may be out of his/her control - have a bit of sympathy for him/her too.

Fluff
21-Apr-08, 12:20
be prepared with what you are going yo say. say why you are valuable member of staff etc.. don't get emotional and make sure you have an appointment with him i.e. don't just walk up to him and ask<br><br>good luck! <br>

TBH
21-Apr-08, 12:30
Maybe you have an over-inflated value of yourself to the company?

_Ju_
21-Apr-08, 12:45

Crickey...shoot everyone down in blaze. That comment is of no constructive value at all. It is petty and small. It's sole purpose, as far as I can tell, is to diminuish someone. Isn't everyone sick of reading stuff like this?

Not allowed to express an opinion. Not allowed to ask advice. Not allowed to make light. Not allowed to discuss or disagree with anyone. Not allowed to have a good opinion of ones own self worth anymore. Not sure it's worth coming on here to read anything anymore, to tell the truth.

Getting back to the thread's subject: I would try see what I could tentatively line up for a next job and then arrange a meeting with the boss. That way you have a stronger bargining position.

karia
21-Apr-08, 12:49
Crickey...shoot everyone down in blaze. That comment is of no constructive value at all. It is petty and small. It's sole purpose, as far as I can tell, is to diminuish someone. Isn't everyone sick of reading stuff like this?

Not allowed to express an opinion. Not allowed to ask advice. Not allowed to make light. Not allowed to discuss or disagree with anyone. Not allowed to have a good opinion of ones own self worth anymore. Not sure it's worth coming on here to read anything anymore, to tell the truth.

Hear Hear......... Couldn't agree with you more _Ju!

Riffman
21-Apr-08, 13:09
I'm with TBH on this one.

If you are saying that the company has nothing more to offer you, perhaps they are thinking the same thing, i.e. there is nothing more you can offer them so you are not worth the extra money.

It sounds like you have lost the challenge of your job. Perhaps time to look for a new one?

benji
21-Apr-08, 14:29
Go prepared. I was once in a similar position to yourself. I wrote an honest (not inflated) job description of what my role was. I then sent this to a friendly work agency who had experience in the particular field, along with what my expereince was (ie how long in the job). They then came back with a suggested range in salary.

I felt that the (large) salary difference was due to agency work being less secure than a staff position so I adjusted downward. I then presented the evidence to my bosss who came back and said "name your price", I did and got what I wanted.

Two things:
-be prepared and have the evidence to hand to backup your argument
-be realistic and demonstrate that you want an honest salary and are not there to "screw" them

Good luck!

joxville
21-Apr-08, 16:34

Thanks to you all for your advice. Even you TBH! I don't have an over-inflated value of myself. We, as a team, all genuinely feel we are underpaid but have done nothing about it mainly because we all like our job's and have a lot of respect for our manager. He himself has done every job in the factory so has earned that respect, and like one of the respondant's said, it's not really his decision but higher up the chain, because I'm sure he would give me a rise.

I am the only one who is now prepared to do something about it, plus only today did I find out that a new driver that started 2 weeks ago is on £1k more than me! As you can imagine I am now totally pee-d off.

I work in an asphalt plant as a mixing plant operator but also do the weighbridge occassionally, drive plant machinery and stand in for the secretary doing invoicing when she's on holiday. There is 1 other with the same skill's and level of experience as me on the plant and a new operator I am training. I am not irreplacable but I would be hard to replace, mainly because of the shift's and knowledge I have and the fact none of the other staff want my job.

Many thanks to you all for the advice and support, I shall prepare a case to present to him. Kindest regards, Jox

Riffman
21-Apr-08, 17:36
Why not try and get them to create a new supervisory position for you? Then you could continue what you are doing, but broaden your skills into different areas of the work.

mums angels
21-Apr-08, 19:16
If don't ask you won't get , my hubby asked for a pay rise he was hoping for about 3% but he got more and a signed in contract he was well pleased :)

percy toboggan
21-Apr-08, 19:37
Go in with a clear idea of what you want...and a minimum of what you'llaccept.
You must be prepared to back up disappointment with decisive action on your part, otherwise you have no bargaining power.... that said however do not cut off your nose to spite your face....weight up your alternatives.
Keep your intentions to yourself...do not include colleagues - it's a dog eat dog world ...sadly. Esprit de corps in commerce died c.1982 I think.
Be prepared for an atmosphere if you don't get a thumbs up...management can be childish..be prepared for a worse atmosphere if you get a good rise - the word gets out - and your colleagues don't. Good luck...it's refreshing to know some are still prepared to have go...I'll be there myself come July if my wage has not improved by then.

I could be earning about eight grand more than I do but this is a comfortable undemanding rut & I'm done with working like a trojan - weigh things up...it's a harsh and hard world on the other side of the rut.