PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the brain in shape

karia
19-Apr-08, 18:59
A lightweight thread as befits a saturday night.

Are you a sudoku addict or a crossword fiend? What do you do to fend off the death of the old grey matter?

Maybe you do some of the latest 'brain training!:eek:

Is it working and would you be lost without yer daily fix?

sweetpea
19-Apr-08, 19:00
I did that nintendo brain train and got 72, think that's a good score.

ciderally
19-Apr-08, 19:08
sudoku for me...havent tried them brain train gismo's ...

sweetpea
19-Apr-08, 19:11
I can't do sodoku, too mathematical for me I'm afraid...

karia
19-Apr-08, 19:11
I have been known to queue outside my Newsagents in the morning, bleary eyed and arguing about the validity of 17 Down.

You know what I mean, last clue to fill, all dictionaries exhausted, thinking 'they' have made a mistake and you have caught them out!

The poor newsagent doesn't understand that you can only open one eye and need to purchase 4 cans of Redbull before rummaging thru the paper and halting at the door to shout..'What! I was up all night for THAT!:roll:

TBH
19-Apr-08, 19:25
I have been known to queue outside my Newsagents in the morning, bleary eyed and arguing about the validity of 17 Down.

You know what I mean, last clue to fill, all dictionaries exhausted, thinking 'they' have made a mistake and you have caught them out!

The poor newsagent doesn't understand that you can only open one eye and need to purchase 4 cans of Redbull before rummaging thru the paper and halting at the door to shout..'What! I was up all night for THAT!:roll:Do you ever get the answer lying in bed, can't sleep for thinking about it and have to go get the newspaper and fill in the answer?:eek:

golach
19-Apr-08, 19:28
Yawnnnnnn!!! another post number gathering thread IMO :~(

the_count
19-Apr-08, 19:34
i got a 6x6 soduko keyring that keeps me brain going i can do it on hard setting in 1min 30sec which is pretty good lol :lol:

karia
19-Apr-08, 19:41
Do you ever get the answer lying in bed, can't sleep for thinking about it and have to go get the newspaper and fill in the answer?:eek:

Yep..and have woken OH to tell him!;)

not a good move.

karia
19-Apr-08, 19:45

What ..you don't do crosswords or brain expanding activity? How do you stay so sharp and on the ball?!

Why don't you start an 'exciting thread' then golach..we are aye keen tae learn from the experts.:D

PS..ye can run my post count backwards if ye like..it aint what I am about!

Ricco
19-Apr-08, 20:45
I prefer crosswords, especially the DT prize ones. Can't do Suduko to save myself! :confused

As for me... I do watch my post count 'cos I am like that. Trying to catch up with Rheghead (where is he these days?).

karia
19-Apr-08, 20:52
I prefer crosswords, especially the DT prize ones. Can't do Suduko to save myself! :confused

As for me... I do watch my post count 'cos I am like that. Trying to catch up with Rheghead (where is he these days?).

Good point!

A lot of good contributors are no longer among us.Scorrie, J4bberwock, good king Rheg..and many others.

By DT I hope ye mean the daily telegraph..not the 'times';)

Bobinovich
19-Apr-08, 22:19
Yep - Sudoku, Kakuro, occasional crossword, Wii Big Brain Academy, and DS Brain Training, etc. - love them all and they keep the mind at its peak, as well as reading of course, whenever my schedule gives me a decent window :roll:.

Also like Sight Training on the DS. My OH thought my sight was getting poor but it says otherwise - apparently I've got the sight of a 22 year old (no smart comments please!)

anneoctober
19-Apr-08, 23:46
Yep - Sudoku, Kakuro, occasional crossword, Wii Big Brain Academy, and DS Brain Training, etc. - love them all and they keep the mind at its peak, as well as reading of course, whenever my schedule gives me a decent window :roll:.

Also like Sight Training on the DS. My OH thought my sight was getting poor but it says otherwise - apparently I've got the sight of a 22 year old (no smart comments please!)
As if........................[lol]

thebigman
19-Apr-08, 23:54
To late for my brain I'm afraid although keep hoping that Rioja will work :-)

trix
20-Apr-08, 00:27
aye, i lek til do 'e sudoko.

am no bad at 'e crosswords, wi 'e help o' 'e dictionary but i lek 'e suduko....

'e harder 'e better...;)

Anne x
20-Apr-08, 00:41

I wii for me !! and no a yawn Golf and Tennis are the best I do the crossword in the Mail and on weekdays P & J

horseman
20-Apr-08, 03:03
My day would be destroyed if I had no sudoko-xword to do at meal breaks!;)

Margaret M.
20-Apr-08, 03:28
I love sudoko, logic problems and every kind of puzzle known to man. I spend a wee bit of time daily at boxerjam.com. Dancing is also good -- having to memorize the various steps and directions gives the old brain a nice work out.

Sporran
20-Apr-08, 05:43

Och, dinna be sae cynical, golach, ma pal! It disna suit ye! :Razz

I like doing crossword puzzles, though I don't do them every day. I love to read and write, and have been known to try my hand at poetry.

percy toboggan
20-Apr-08, 08:21
I can't hack cryptic crosswords because I'm not amuch of a lateral thinker I guess. I do like ones based on knowledge though ...the quick one on the back of the Mail passes on a few minutes. I also likethe Mail's 'thirty second challenge' which is proving to me that I'm not at all bad at maths and mental arithmetic...there's a beginner/intermediate/advanced poser and I usually manage all three....in more than thirty seconds though. I think some can be seen at www.30secondchallenge.com (http://www.30secondchallenge.com)

I think about half of the population or more would struggle with some of these. Largely because education doesn't seem to be working for so many.
Mine must have been more effective than I've thought for a long , long time.

miranda
20-Apr-08, 18:35
def a crossword fan and scrabble great brain therapy:D
cant for the love of me do suduko.. no good with numbers!!!:lol:

Anji
20-Apr-08, 18:52
Sudoku. I'm a total addict. Every time I sit down for a coffee I pick up my Sudoku book. I even do it while watching the telly.

trix
21-Apr-08, 16:32
[quote=Sporran;375330]Och, dinna be sae cynical, golach, ma pal! It disna suit ye! :Razz [quote]

i take it yer kiddin?? :lol:

poppett
21-Apr-08, 18:19
Scrabble, conundrum and Fairway solitaire( a card game round a golf course) feature regularly on the laptop as well as Spider solitaire.

I hardly watch tv although it is on in the background a lot as hubbie is an addict, but on a Saturday the crossword in the Sun tv guide is all about tv and sadly, most weeks i finish it.

Used to play international scrabble online, but got fed up with the cheating that went on..........referring to books and sheets of two lettered words before playing.............you KNOW who YOU ARE!!!

hobbes1962
22-Apr-08, 12:05
I did that nintendo brain train and got 72, think that's a good score.

In Brain Training the best score you can get is 20 - the lower the number the better.

Me, my best score on Brain Training is 27.:D

trix
22-Apr-08, 16:41
In Brain Training the best score you can get is 20 - the lower the number the better.

Me, my best score on Brain Training is 27.:D

27...72...?

maybe one o' ye's hed goggly eyes fie all 'e brain trainin an ye got mixed up....[lol]