PDA

View Full Version : Dog Training

flowertot
17-Apr-08, 21:15
Hi was wondering if anybody knew any good dog trainers in the area??

I have a lovely dog, but need to control his aggressiveness against other dogs, he also can be a bit protective when other people come into the house, so need to sort that out.

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Frey
17-Apr-08, 22:33
Hey flower

What breed of dog have you got?

porshiepoo
17-Apr-08, 22:41
There's a good 'Trainer' over at Watten - sorry I've forgotten the name but I'm sure someone will let you know it. She's very good and knowledgeable and I'm sure she'll be able to help with the obedience side and to give you confidence with the dog.

Other sources are books: I can only suggest Cesar Millans methods because it's the only method I use but there will be others on here that can suggest other books, I'm sure.
CM's methods are based on pack stability and asserting yourself as leader of the pack. Done correctly the results can be immediate, it's simply a case of you asserting yourself as a calm but dominant pack leader and once you understand the pack mentality it's actually easier than it sounds.

Good Luck

flowertot
18-Apr-08, 08:11
He is a Lhaso Apso, altough he thinks he is an alsation in his mind!!!!!:lol:

If someone can give me the name of the person in Watten I would be most grateful

Thanks

gary.b
18-Apr-08, 08:33
Theres a fella in Thurso, Neil Morrison whose been around dogs for ages and has just been down to that England and got himself a new qualification.

Manxman
18-Apr-08, 10:03
Theres a fella in Thurso, Neil Morrison whose been around dogs for ages and has just been down to that England and got himself a new qualification.

New qualifications are one thing it takes experience to be any good. There are other trainers in the county doing training Carolyn Poulton at Greenland and Ashmont training in Mey and the canine club in Wick.
I took a look at the ashmont website that bloke seems to have been working and training dogs for over thirty years he might be a good call

Mother Bear
18-Apr-08, 12:02
Hi there,
I can thoroughly recommend Carolyne Poulton for Dog training. We have been going for over a year now...no it hasn't taken that long to train the dog...or me...but we have progressed to the top class!! She runs three different classes and has a great rapport with the dogs, AND their owners!!!
Give her a call and have a chat...07845 010031.
Good luck to you and your dog.

carasmam
18-Apr-08, 13:00
He is a Lhaso Apso, altough he thinks he is an alsation in his mind!!!!!:lol:

If someone can give me the name of the person in Watten I would be most grateful

Thanks

Aah I'd love to see a picture of him, dont think there are many up here. :D Whats his name?

gary.b
18-Apr-08, 14:10
New qualifications are one thing it takes experience to be any good. There are other trainers in the county doing training Carolyn Poulton at Greenland and Ashmont training in Mey and the canine club in Wick.
I took a look at the ashmont website that bloke seems to have been working and training dogs for over thirty years he might be a good call

Neil is experienced and has just got a new qualification which would mean he has been taught the latest training methods. I'm not knocking Caroline or Dave I've heard they're very good, I'm just recommending someone else for a change.

flowertot
18-Apr-08, 18:18

Could you please pm me his number.

Thanks

Allsorts
18-Apr-08, 20:24
I think Carolyn Poulton is fab too, she has a true love of dogs and wants the best for them. She gives up her time and will always help no matter what problem you may have with your dog.
All the money she raises through her dog training is put straight back in to Caithness lab rescue which she has a passion for and I know many a dog she has rehomed that now have a very happy forever home.
My dog certainly loves her and I am happy as I have a trained dog that will do what she is told - most of the time!

Mad1man
19-Apr-08, 01:19
I've been to the guy at Mey - Dave and he helped us get over having a destructive mongrel - ate a table and a wall. (The dog not the trainer) He also worked with my kid who was terrified of dogs and taught him how to act around dogs to be safe. The man worked wonders and never had any of us, dog included, ever feel stressed. I guess it must be his experience - was willing to show us his CV before we started, impressive and international. I've met the lady from Lab rescue group as well, and she seemed good and knowledgeable. God its hard to choose when you have to do these things - phone them all and check them all out before you commit.

Cagerf
19-Apr-08, 08:47
Hi

Neil here I would like to thank Garry for his kind comments.

Unfortunately for a variety of reasons that I do not wish to go into on the net I cannot provide dog training to the general public

I can endorse both services offered by Dave and Carolyne.

Neil

Raven
19-Apr-08, 09:54
I think Carolyn Poulton is fab too, she has a true love of dogs and wants the best for them. She gives up her time and will always help no matter what problem you may have with your dog.
All the money she raises through her dog training is put straight back in to Caithness lab rescue which she has a passion for and I know many a dog she has rehomed that now have a very happy forever home.
My dog certainly loves her and I am happy as I have a trained dog that will do what she is told - most of the time!

I am all with you Allsorts! Carolyne is an absolutely lovely lady and she is superb with the dogs (and the owners:lol:)

I met her through a recommendation here on Caithness.org and I must say I am glad I did pick up on the good advice the orgers gave!

neepnipper
19-Apr-08, 13:26
Carolyne is brill! Great with the dogs and the humans! Can't recommend her enough!:D