PDA

View Full Version : Taming the Black Dog

porshiepoo
17-Apr-08, 10:18
For those of you who responded to the 'Depression' thread or anyone who suffers this illness - seasonal or not - I thought I'd recommend the above named book by Patrick Elverton.
I've been reading it for a couple of days now and although I'm not going to claim a Miracle cure, it definately has helped me.

One quote from the book when the author talks of healing wounds that the Black Dog has already inflicted: " What are these wounds? They are the bad mental habits which have developed during the time we have been afflicted. Negative thinking, lack of purpose, a feeling of futility affecting everything we embark on, and worst of all - fear. Fear of the future. Fear of being unable to cope with the everyday tasks of life. Fear of failure in our own projects and even fear of success"

Until I read this book I didn't completely understand just how negative my way of thinking is. This guy isn't trying to say that depression is only about negative thinking, he's explaining that the Black Dog (bought into existence by trauma, death, illness, abuse etc) is nourished by the negative thoughts that those who are depressed surround themselves with.

I've found myself for months (years maybe) thinking to myself "why bother building the house, we're just gonna die anyway". I've spent just as long comparing myself to someone who is so much more driven than me (my husband) and, finding myself coming up short have told myself "I'm Stupid / Lazy / worthless. I should be able to do just as much as he can".
I can see how wrong it is to think that way now. My husband for one is a builder, extremely fit and there's no way I can keep up with him fitness wise.
I have put no value on me as a person at all or my qualities and abilities (even writing that is hard), I can see everyone else's abilities and qualities but not my own, just my faults and inabilities.
I set myself impossible tasks or too many tasks knowing that I won't be able to fulfill them, then I berate myself, criticize myself and subsequently feed the Black Dog.

This book goes into many other causes of Depression and what sustains them and it certainly encourages you to look openly at the way you think and then it helps you to start thinking differently.
After just a couple of days of stopping negative thought once I start doing it I have to say I feel slightly lifted. Whether that's because I'm not feeding the Black Dog anymore or whether it's a feeling of Control (maybe even both) I don't know but I just had to share the book with those of you who are suffering also right now.

You don't have to wait for the Black to lift of its own accord, we don't have to live for those few moments of Blue Sky, this book may help you as it's beginning to help me.
Like I said it's not a miracle cure, you have to put in a lot of work and effort - you'll be amazed just how comfortable the familiarity of Darkness can be - and it's going to be a long haul but this book will show you how to recognize in what situation the Black dog bites and what you're doing to feed it.
Then again it may be complete nonsense to you - everyone's different, but it might just help you.

jings00
17-Apr-08, 11:15
thanks for that info, i have suffered from depression for a number of years now, and at the moment going thro a particularly bad funk, i may try this book to try and understand things better.
i hope it continues to help you maintain an equilibrium.

ciderally
17-Apr-08, 14:20
thanks for that porshiepoo...and well done you

rich
17-Apr-08, 14:46
I guess I'm in the club too!
What I have found is that if something works for you - be it religion or psychotherapy or long walks in the country with a dog - then just do it. Ignore what anyone else might say.
I guess you have been keeping up with the information about the uselessness of Prozac and the other serotonin reuptake inhibitors. I spent a week on pink pills and starting bumping into the furniture - all the time in the grip of a depression. So I quit.
I would categorize myself as a chronic, low grade sufferer.
I bless the powers that be plus my gene pool that I don't have bipolar disorder. Although that's what most of the 19th century novelists seem to have had. Huge writing binges when high on deranged mind chemistry!
If there is a depression/mental health section of the Org I would love to join it.
I wonder if you have discussed the possibility - in a small place like Thurso or Wick of people being discriminated against, socially or in the work force because of depression. That would be a serious privacy issue. For myself I dont mind but I think you should be aware of this.
On another, related, topic. A friend of mines has just web-published a book, on schizophrenia. If anyone wants to purchase I can provide a contact list.

Valerie Campbell
18-Apr-08, 14:32
My husband started suffering from depression in early 2005 when he was being constantly bullied at work and blamed for things that he hadn't done or said. He was signed off sick by the doctor and finally resigned from his job as a transport co-ordinator and dangerous goods safety advisor. A few months later, his life turned around. He got in with a great company and has been there ever since. He still suffers bouts of depression but nothing like the awful state I saw him in back in February/March 05. I began to feel helpless and then my dad died in August 05 and I began to get an insight into my husband. Luckily I've been fine ever since. The book is certainly one I think I'll get, so thanks for recommending it porshie.