PDA

View Full Version : Steam Carriage by the Earl of Caithness 1850-60

trinkie
16-Apr-08, 19:22
I was chatting to a Caithness friend the other day and we touched on the cost of travel, both of us were delighted with free bus travel for the pensioners, and listed off the places we had visited already. We agreed that the train is very expensive, but flying in some cases, is cheaper now than ever before. Both of us drive, though we tend to use our cars less and less now owing to the cost of petrol. My friend remarked that the last time he filled up his tank it cost him more than the first car he had bought in the 50s ! Then you could pick up a car for around £20 or less, and set off on your journey remembering to take the tool box and some spares with you, if you were clever enough to do that sort of thing – alas, I was never such a person !

My friend sighed and scratched his head, ‘It’s a pity they never did anything more with Steam travel’ he said.
‘Well, we’ve had the Steam train don’t forget’ I offered.
‘No – for cars’ he quickly replied.
‘Would that be possible – how far would you get on a gallon of water?’ I queried.
‘Have you forgotten the Earl of Caithness and his Steam Carriage? He travelled from London to Caithness on water. That was back in the mid 1800s.

‘ Well, I never knew that.’ I said. What happened to the steam car, I wondered., Then went on to tell my friend that recently I read about one of the Carr Biscuit family from the north of England ( you’ll know the delicious Water Biscuit ) who built one of the first cars in 1896 and drove from Carlisle to Beauly driving at around 8 m.p.h. People ran out of their houses to watch this amazing newfangled contraption !

How times have changed ! One of the first cars on the new M 1.in the 1960s was a little red Mini from Caithness – we were so proud of it. My own annual trip from one end of the country to the other took 24hours driving, covering over 1,000 miles, with not a Loo in sight ! We had to go into a town to find the toilet at the railway station each time !

Of course our first car – a Morris Oxford, had no heating, and believe me, the metal floor got very cold. In those days, if you set off on a journey you dressed as though you were to sit in an open Horse and carriage. Plenty of travel rugs and possibly wearing two coats, and maybe a hot water bottle on your knee. One of our first trips was from London to Bristol in thick, thick smog. We crept along in pitch black dark, my husband driving as I hung out of the door feeling the edge of the road and guiding him at the same time !

On the new Motorways there were few or no road signs, and when eventually they built Service Stations with tea shops, it was not unusual to leave and turn the wrong way, maybe doubling back for 30 miles. This was progress !

But what about the Earl of Caithness and his Steam car? Does anyone know more of this remarkable vehicle ?
I remember the Steam Milly Engine in Wick – how we loved that. It was a big day when the Milly Engine was in your street !

Trinkie

Tighsonas4
16-Apr-08, 21:41
MILLY ENGINE
i take it the milly engine you mean trinkie was the old threshing mill that used to go from farm to farm. it had the engine. then the mill itself. and onto that the caravan for the men to sleep in. was that it?? regards tony

trinkie
17-Apr-08, 13:54
No - the Milly engine I refer to was tarring the road, I'm sure.

Mosser
17-Apr-08, 20:00
Hi Trinkie,
I remember the "milly engine" fine, rolling the tar flat on the road, a great day for the street as you say.
As for the Duke of Sutherland, he was a great steam man but usually on the railway and drove the line through to Wick and Thurso in 1874. Steam cars were in their infancy in 1876 so I doubt that the Earl of Caithness drove Lands End to Groats in the 1850/60s, however I may be wrong!

Moira
17-Apr-08, 23:38
But what about the Earl of Caithness and his Steam car? Does anyone know more of this remarkable vehicle ?
I remember the Steam Milly Engine in Wick – how we loved that. It was a big day when the Milly Engine was in your street !
Trinkie

Great story Trinkie! I did a quick "google" on the Earl of Caithness and his steam car and came up with this :-

"When the revival of interest in the common-road steam locomotive began in England, about 1857, Thomas Rickett, of Castle Foundry, Buckingham, was one of the first to give attention to the subject. He built a road locomotive in 1858 for the Marquis of Stafford.......
<snip>Two other engines were built by Rickett, one of them for the Earl of Caithness. Some improvements were installed in this carriage, which was intended to carry three passengers. The weight of the carriage, fully loaded, was five thousand pounds.
In this carriage, the Earl of Caithness traveled from Inverness to his seat, Borrogill Castle, within a few miles of John o' Groat's House. He describes his trip as follows: "I may state that such a feat as going over the Ord of Caithness has never before been accomplished by steam, as I believe we rose one thousand feet in about five miles. The Ord is one of the largest and steepest hills in Scotland. The turns in the road are very sharp. All this I got over without trouble. There is, I am confident, no difficulty in driving a steam carriage on a common road. It is cheap, and on a level I got as much as nineteen miles an hour." The Earl of Caithness brought the trial to a successful result, and some expert authorities jumped to the conclusion that at once steam traveling upon the high roads of England would be availed of to a large extent; but that did not happen.........."

The full link is here:-
http://yourmotorcar.com/?q=language:en,section:pages,mname:rmenu,pname:ric kett-t

Gosh - I wonder what the old Earl of Caithness would have thought of the new improved Ord and the Berriedale Braes now?

I love Berriedale. On my journey south, Berriedale means that the worst of the road is over and, in winter time, the gritters are more or less guaranteed to be in front of you. On my journey north, Berriedale means that home is not far away.

I remember the "milly engine" fine, rolling the tar flat on the road, a great day for the street as you say.

Mosser - Alas, my friend "Google" could not help me with "milly engine". Can you and trinkie elaborate and provide some photos or links for us all? I certainly hope so. :)

trinkie
18-Apr-08, 09:10
Mosser – thank you for your reply.
What excitement in the street and shouts of ‘The Milly Engine is here !’ as all the bairns ran oot to see it.
It was all new to us and we loved it.
( Div ye mind the rag man and his big old lorry ?)

A quick phone call last night told me there is a picture in TIMES GONE BY Christmas Number Vol 11 (yellow cover )
Page 14 Dec 23, 1933 on the right hand side. "Workmen, road-repairing at Ramscraigs, Dunbeath"…. Just a little glimpse of what might be the Milly Engine. ( This page is near the back of the book )

Also, I was told - wait for this - in TIMES GONE BY Christmas numbers page 11 ( black cover) right hand side there is an article about the Steam Carriage, plus a picture , It says "the 14th Earl was the inventor of a Steam Carriage… the experiment was a complete success and his tour in the new carriage from London to Barrogill Castle evoked wide interest….. the water tank of about 170 gallons capacity formed the bottom of the carriage …"
There’s quite a bit of technical information here.

Thank you too Moira, you found out some interesting things with your google search. Can you imagine coming over the Ord as it was at that time !! It must have been quite a thrill for the driver. Only last week a friend of mine was going north on the bus from Inverness and before attempting the Ord, the driver stopped and said he had spotted a Steven's lorry coming down and he didn't want to pass on the road - his bus had not worked properly all the way from Inverness !
But I've got to say Well Done to the Earl, I wonder what became of the carriage ! ( Maybe I'll get a phone call later to say it's lying in a barn somewhere - such are the surprises I get from Caithness regularly! )

Moira I too love Berriedale, and my heart races at the first glimpse - no one dares to speak in the car, as the tears roll down my cheeks. The sun is always shining and the sea glistening, on the other side the earth is dark and rich and stories from days of old come into my head....... ahhhhh.

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-08, 17:40
MILLY ENGINE
would if someone could come up with anything on this
having been a roadman and never heard it mentioned makes it all the more intreguing wonder if the heritage centre can help regards tony

Mosser
18-Apr-08, 20:51
Hi,

The Milly engine was simply a road roller, but it had a heavy fly wheel on, I think, the left side behind the driver. Drive belts could, if needed, be slung over this fly wheel and the power used to drive a thresher or whatever was required. This may seem antique but a milly engine caused great excitement in the street in the days before mass car ownership. In the whole of our street there were only two cars!!

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-08, 21:18
MILLY ENGINE
thanks a lot for that mosser. i can sleep sound tonight now [lol]that makes it all clear now although never actually seen it
yes cars would be few and far between in them days regards tony

Riffman
18-Apr-08, 22:09
I am hoping to try this sometime:

http://www.vedbil.se/indexe.shtml

A normal car running on wood! [lol]

scaraben
18-Apr-08, 22:22
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/seumas1285/01.jpg
Memories eh ???

Mosser
19-Apr-08, 13:39
Thanks Scaraben, I could nearly smell it.

Tighsonas4
19-Apr-08, 17:18
MILLY ENGINE
found all i wanted to know on this today. as someone has said it was basicly a road roller but could be converted to do several jobs
the roads seemingly used to get quite stoery [dusty] as well they got rutted . more horse transport than cars
there yard at that time is all boarded up now
opposite the dam and it seems they had a crusher in there which could produce chippings etc
a good days fishing anyway regards tony

trinkie
19-Apr-08, 21:29
Thank you for the great picture Scaraben, I can hear it chuff-chuffing down the street... and smell it as Mosser says.
Thank you too Tony, for all your snippets of information - it all adds up.

Good stuff.

Trinkie

Moira
21-Apr-08, 00:02
Thanks Scaraben. The Milly Engine was a little before my time but I appreciated the photo :D