PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Charges Review

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 22:31
What are your views on this (article on front page)?

Personally I think it's ridiculous that the council are allowing taxi companies to charge higer prices- they are far to high as it it! Costing over £100 to get from Wick to Inverness is totaly out of line. Especially the state and comfort in taxis in the North of Scotland- they say that we have the lowest charges for taxis here, I'd hate to see the price of taxis elsewhere. I don't agree with the fact they are increasing, especiall they taxis up here which the drivers often smoke in, drive far too fast and oblivious to other road users we shoud NOT be charged any more than we already do!

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-08, 22:35
What are your views on this (article on front page)?

Personally I think it's ridiculous that the council are allowing taxi companies to charge higer prices- they are far to high as it it! Costing over £100 to get from Wick to Inverness is totaly out of line. Especially the state and comfort in taxis in the North of Scotland- they say that we have the lowest charges for taxis here, I'd hate to see the price of taxis elsewhere. I don't agree with the fact they are increasing, especiall they taxis up here which the drivers often smoke in, drive far too fast and oblivious to other road users we shoud NOT be charged any more than we already do!

So how much should it be from Wick to Inverness? Bearing in mind that its at least 5 hours of a drivers time, and £30 in fuel?

If drivers are smoking in taxis, report them. And Wick taxi drivers are no worse drivers than anyone else in Wick, but only because there is no lower driving standard !

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 22:57
So how much should it be from Wick to Inverness? Bearing in mind that its at least 5 hours of a drivers time, and £30 in fuel?

If drivers are smoking in taxis, report them. And Wick taxi drivers are no worse drivers than anyone else in Wick, but only because there is no lower driving standard !

So are you trying to say that you don't feel completely ripped off by the charges taxi firms charge? If they are even thinking about increasing the prices, they can at least improve cleanliness, comfort and safety of passangers. I can't believe you can say that they are not any worse than any other drivers in Wick. Most peoples attitude towards taxi drivers is "They think they own the road" or am I wrong. I've only heard that phrase from "hundreds" of people. A lot don't look very approachable, some never say a word to you unless they're asking for the money, most the drivers speed and also think they can skip traffic lights beside D.E. shoe shop.

MadPict
15-Apr-08, 23:05
If you can't afford to use the taxi take the bus....

Long distance rates can be high - take a taxi from Oxford to Gatwick and it'll cost around £130.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:07

Long distance rates can be high - take a taxi from Oxford to Gatwick and it'll cost around £130.

Oh, I don't use taxis at all, simply because of the cost but what my job is to do as convener of transport for the Highland's Youth Parliament is to REDUCE the cost of public transport but it looks like they are going in the completely opposite direction and increasing them. If the council want to increase the charges, they can at least offer the "coupon scheme" where they subsidise the cost of taxis for people. If they have the cheek to raise the prices even more, they can at least review the hygene in taxis first.

dirdyweeker
15-Apr-08, 23:08
It is the 'peeping' of the horn to announce their arrival that bugs me. Gone are the days of a taxi driver knocking on your door to announce its arrival.
I too have seen taxi drivers smoking in their cabs, wouldn't know who to report it to though. The taxi firm I guess, but reckon that would make no difference.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:11
Can I just say, after speaking to someone, I was just told it cost £7 to get from Lidls in Wick to a house less than half a mile away. Please say you don't think this is an acceptable price to pay?

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:13
It is the 'peeping' of the horn to announce their arrival that bugs me. Gone are the days of a taxi driver knocking on your door to announce its arrival.
I too have seen taxi drivers smoking in their cabs, wouldn't know who to report it to though. The taxi firm I guess, but reckon that would make no difference.

Yes and even in the middle of the night, they still beep the horn loudly outsidd houses.

Well, it was Alistair Dodds you used to complained to but he is now the Chief Executive so I don;t know who it is now. I believe it is the Director of Corporate services or I could be completely wrong.

I have although sent a big email to the Highland Council TEC services and mentioned this in my email.

MadPict
15-Apr-08, 23:21
Oh, I don't use taxis at all, simply because of the cost but what my job is to do as convener of transport for the Highland's Youth Parliament is to REDUCE the cost of public transport but it looks like they are going in the completely opposite direction and increasing them. If the council want to increase the charges, they can at least offer the "coupon scheme" where they subsidise the cost of taxis for people. If they have the cheek to raise the prices even more, they can at least review the hygene in taxis first.

And where will the money for these "coupons' be expected to come from?

Taxi firms are businesses - you expect them to reduce their prices given the increasing costs of fuel, insurance, upkeep of vehicles and drivers wages?

You don't appear to have a clue about running a business. And you have had "hundreds" of people come to you to complain about taxis?

Can I just say, after speaking to someone, I was just told it cost £7 to get from Lidls in Wick to a house less than half a mile away. Please say you don't think this is an acceptable price to pay?

Yes it is - I pay about £5-8 for a taxi to do about the same distance.

Venture
15-Apr-08, 23:22
There is only one decent taxi firm in Wick and that is Dina's Taxis. They are well driven, polite, reliable, spotless clean cars, smartly dressed, reasonable fares and very helpful and obliging. The rest are just as you have stated rfr10.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:24
And where will the money for these "coupons' be expected to come from?

Taxi firms are businesses - you expect them to reduce their prices given the increasing costs of fuel, insurance, upkeep of vehicles and drivers wages?

You don't appear to have a clue about running a business. And you have had "hundreds" of people come to you to complain about taxis?

Yes it is - I pay about £5-8 for a taxi to do about the same distance.

Ok.. I'll change what I've said slightly to make it more fair but this does not mean I'm accepting the high costs.

Basically, if they want to increase the charges, they can firstly monitor the hygene in taxis and frienliness of drivers and THEN they can THINk about increasing the costs.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:27
There is only one decent taxi firm in Wick and that is Dina's Taxis. They are well driven, polite, reliable, spotless clean cars, smartly dressed, reasonable fares and very helpful and obliging. The rest are just as you have stated rfr10.

Thank you! I didn't think I was the only one who saw what taxis are like and yes Venture, I totally agree with you in saying that the only decent firm is Dina's.

henry20
15-Apr-08, 23:29
Everyone knows that the upkeep of a car is expensive and a car covering as many miles is a taxi is bound to suffer from excessive wear and tear. Add to that the cost of fuel and its inevetible that the prices have to increase.

I'm not sure how all firms work out wages, but I know some taxi drivers earn 1/3 of the money they take in. Most of the time this works out below minimum wage. :roll:

I don't often use taxi's, so I must admit I won't be affected much, but you can't put a price on your own safety. A lot of people I know that complain about the cost of taxi's don't object to spending £50 on a night out ;)

MadPict
15-Apr-08, 23:30
The customer has a choice - if they don't like the standard of "service" offered by a particular taxi firm then they can go elsewhere. But for smarter, cleaner, newer cars expect to pay a higher rate.
You want cheap taxis, expect to find a clapped out Lada turning up outside your door.
The old adage of "getting what you pay for" really does apply.

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-08, 23:31
I have always thought that the taxi charges are very reasonable in these parts. there are a lot of companys all looking for the same buisness, but as a car driver and well aware of the costs of running a car we are not getting a bad deal and they are always available.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:32
The customer has a choice - if they don't like the standard of "service" offered by a particular taxi firm then they can go elsewhere. But for smarter, cleaner, newer cars expect to pay a higher rate.
You want cheap taxis, expect to find a clapped out Lada turning up outside your door.
The old adage of "getting what you pay for" really does apply.

Excuse me, the customer has a choice but also RIGHTS. They do not have to be expected to go into a taxi which, for one, the driver has been smoking in because it is against the law for one and is also very disgusting for people. Taxis must follow the law just the same as bus, trains, etc do.

henry20
15-Apr-08, 23:33
Basically, if they want to increase the charges, they can firstly monitor the hygene in taxis and frienliness of drivers and THEN they can THINk about increasing the costs.

What do you regard as bad hygeine in a taxi? Is it litter/spilages? I'm not saying it shouldn't be cleaned, but surely the initial problem starts with a lack of respect from passengers??

Not having used a wick taxi in years, I can't comment on their friendliness or lack of it, but can honestly say that the majority of taxi drivers I've met in Thurso are friendly.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:35
Sorry, no one has answered my question yet.

Is it acceptable for someone to travel less than half a mile within Wick and be charged £7?

dirdyweeker
15-Apr-08, 23:36

Is it acceptable for someone to travel less than half a mile within Wick and be charged £7?

check post number 9 by Madpict for your answer.........

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:38
What do you regard as bad hygeine in a taxi? Is it litter/spilages? I'm not saying it shouldn't be cleaned, but surely the initial problem starts with a lack of respect from passengers??

Not having used a wick taxi in years, I can't comment on their friendliness or lack of it, but can honestly say that the majority of taxi drivers I've met in Thurso are friendly.

Smoking....

MadPict
15-Apr-08, 23:39
Excuse me, the customer has a choice but also RIGHTS. They do not have to be expected to go into a taxi which, for one, the driver has been smoking in because it is against the law for one and is also very disgusting for people. Taxis must follow the law just the same as bus, trains, etc do.

Simple - don't use that taxi. Tell the taxi firm. You are not forced to get into a taxi if the driver has been smoking.
Oh but then I forgot - you don't use taxis...

Seems to be a lot of fuss from someone who doesn't use taxis...

Venture
15-Apr-08, 23:39
Where was the taxi to from Lidls.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:40
check post number 9 by Madpict for your answer.........

£7 for under half a mile? No chance. I could go from one end of the town to the other many times for that price.

henry20
15-Apr-08, 23:42

Yes, it is acceptable. If I have 10 bags of shopping and no tranport, I'd gladly pay £7 to get the shopping and save me carrying it home.

Or, on a night out worse for wear, I would gladly pay that amount (or more as its weekend tariff) to ensure I get home safely.

Ok, when I was 17/18 taxi's were a lot less, but that was a while ago and just like everything else, the price has gone up!

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:43
Where was the taxi to from Lidls.

A house in the street next to the Chinese Takeaway in Dempster Street.

DeHaviLand
15-Apr-08, 23:43

But this is only hearsay. Phone a taxi company and ask how much it is, then come back and whinge about it. And maybe you can also answer my first question.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Apr-08, 23:44

You don't know how well off you are. In Edinburgh, it costs you £2.10 just to get in the cab. And don't get me started on those corrupt Embra' councillers and their shares in taxi firms.

henry20
£7 for under half a mile? No chance. I could go from one end of the town to the other many times for that price.

But you don't have to pay for customer liability, multi vehicle insurance (when at quiet times only 1 or 2 may be on the road) not to mention the upkeep of a fleet of vehicles, someone to drive vehicles for you and someone to answer phones .... etc etc :roll:

MadPict

Perhaps in you position as Convener for Public Transport for the Highland Youth Parliament Choice thing you should spend a day or two with a taxi firm to see exactly why they charge what they charge.

I dare say walking half a mile will cost you nothing more than shoe leather.

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-08, 23:45

What is and not acceptable is down to you. Taxis are run by individuals that are trying to make a living and provide a service, but is a customer driven business. If £7-00 does not seem reasonable for half a mile ,then walk half a mile.I am not thrilled with having to pay £83-00 for a tyre for my car but if I want to run that car then so be it.

Venture
15-Apr-08, 23:50
Going by local prices at the moment you should have had to pay no more than £3.50 for you taxi from Lidls. If you were charged £7 you should get on to the taxi firm and complain or report it to the taxi inspector through your local service point at the council.

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:51
Simple - don't use that taxi. Tell the taxi firm. You are not forced to get into a taxi if the driver has been smoking.
Oh but then I forgot - you don't use taxis...

Seems to be a lot of fuss from someone who doesn't use taxis...

It is illegal which means, I don't just have to not use that taxi firm, I'd have the right to complain to the council for not abiding with the law. If I called on a taxi to pick me up from somewhere and found that they were smoking in the taxi, I can hardly turn the taxi driver away and say I don't need a lift anymore without being charged for it.

A lot of fuss? Yes, simply because my position in Highland Youth Voice expects me to speak out and complain about things which need sorted, find out what other people think because unlike some people, I don't do things just for the benefit of me and if I find that if people are generally not happy with a service, I will look further into it. It may seem that I go on and on a bit but if this is what I have to do to get a point across then it will be done. There are 100 members of Highland Youth Voice and a huge chunk of this number complained about taxis on our list of issues to be dealt with. We are also trying extremely hard to REDUCE the cost of public transport, not INCREASE it. Surprisingly enough, one of the main issues noted is the cleanliness and hygene of taxis and safety.

I don't believe that the people writing comments here represent the views of the majority of the public as I have many times hear people say, as I've said before "Taxi drivers think they own the road" or "Taxis are a rip off"

rfr10
15-Apr-08, 23:53
Going by local prices at the moment you should have had to pay no more than £3.50 for you taxi from Lidls. If you were charged £7 you should get on to the taxi firm and complain or report it to the taxi inspector through your local service point at the council.

Well unfortionately it wasn't me who used the taxi, it was a friend who didn't think about complaining at the time.

TBH
15-Apr-08, 23:57
Vote with your feet rfr10, if you think any business is ripping people off then don't use that business again, sorted. As someone has suggested maybe you should spend a day with the owner of a taxi firm and find out exactly how and why they operate their businesses te way they do.

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 00:02
It is illegal which means, I don't just have to not use that taxi firm, I'd have the right to complain to the council for not abiding with the law. If I called on a taxi to pick me up from somewhere and found that they were smoking in the taxi, I can hardly turn the taxi driver away and say I don't need a lift anymore without being charged for it.

Of course you can refuse to use the taxi - you phone the taxi office and complain that the driver had been smoking.

There are 100 members of Highland Youth Voice and a huge chunk of this number complained about taxis on our list of issues to be dealt with.

That is not "hundreds" of people. A huge chunk of 100 people is LESS than a hundred. Tsk tsk - you are on the right road for politics if you can massage figures like that!!!

We are also trying extremely hard to REDUCE the cost of public transport, not INCREASE it. Surprisingly enough, one of the main issues noted is the cleanliness and hygene of taxis and safety.

Again, you expect cheap rates don't expect to be driven around in limos...

I don't believe that the people writing comments here represent the views of the majority of the public as I have many times hear people say, as I've said before "Taxi drivers think they own the road" or "Taxis are a rip off"

If you can't accept the views of the members who are answering your posts then why bother asking?

Truck drivers also think they own the road. Petrol prices are a rip off. Don't hear you harping on about that!

Kevin Milkins
16-Apr-08, 00:10
Does anyone know of a cheap ,but clean non smoking taxi that I can call for a lift down to Camps for a last pint. Preferably one that isnt going to blow his horn and wake the neighbour:lol:

Venture
16-Apr-08, 00:54
Does anyone know of a cheap ,but clean non smoking taxi that I can call for a lift down to Camps for a last pint. Preferably one that isnt going to blow his horn and wake the neighbour:lol:

Yes Dina's Taxis Wick 603399. But you'll have to wait until tomorrow. Its past closing time.;)

celtic 302
16-Apr-08, 01:00
If you can't accept the views of the members who are answering your posts then why bother asking?

Truck drivers also think they own the road. Petrol prices are a rip off. Don't hear you harping on about that!

To the inocent reader (don't worry, I don't see one either) it would appear that the problem lies with you, and your apparent disdain off someone questioning your ideas. After all you can answer his question, and rfr can question your answer? Or did i miss that vote in westminster where they decided against democracy... (And before you mock me the way you mocked rfr {ie, over nothing} I realise that voting to remove the voting system is ridiculous, but oh well, thats life... thats what all the people say... flying high... oops, did my thoughts wander? Silly me... Where was I... OH yes, close brackets, got it!)

And, petrol prices. Seeing as petrol prices is a more GLOBAL issue, i think a guy from Caithness is better starting off with local issues, then expanding... after all, thats business... I think...

Finally, (Before I get myself in any trouble for calling you an idiot... DAMMIT!) if everyone behaved the way you do (ie, not questioning) then we would end up paying £100 for a mile journey, and that wouldn't be fair.. or would it? I imagine you "older" folk (and I use the word old in every sense imaginable... I can count 5 connotations of it, You?) will say that its more expensive than it was "back in the day", but everything must get more expensive. Wrong, everything musn't. After all, I imagine that taxi companies are not dredging the bottom-of-the-barrel.

So, finally (Oh... Have I said that already? Hey - I'm a talkative guy!) YOU are unable to be questioned, and you don't seem to question why things get more expensive, and if its right... And to think, I once thought that c.org was full of sensible comments... Thats another illusion shattered.

Now, finally (who actually believes that anymore? You? Or You? Or Yooou?!) I realise i wont be the most agreeed with person on here, but, what-the-hey? I don't mind being questioned :D

octane
16-Apr-08, 01:13
I got one from Aberdeen Airport to Wick last year, the meter stopped at £326

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 01:14
I have no problem with questions being answered.

I suggested that rfr10 spends a day with a taxi firm to find out what goes into running one (a sensible suggestion which was echoed by another reader so it can't have been mocking can it) (see I can use brackets too...).

I gave rfr10 some indications that taxi fares in Wick seem to be fairly consistent with fares elsewhere.

I even stated that I didn't feel that £7 for a half mile journey was too ridiculous (again supported by other readers). He chose to ignore it even though my reply was pointed out by another reader.

Petrol prices may be a global issue but they have a huge impact on companies that rely on fuel to run their businesses. Hauliers pay more for their fuel so charge more for their service which is passed onto the consumer.
Likewise taxi firms pay more for their fuel which in turn means that their rates will be going up.

Insult me by calling me an idiot if you so wish. Mock me by calling me old if it helps your argument. But why just pick on me when others have pointed out the 'error' of rfr10's argument?

Now I have to go as my Horlicks is getting cold.....

celtic 302
16-Apr-08, 01:28
Insult me by calling me an idiot if you so wish. Mock me by calling me old if it helps your argument. But why just pick on me when others have pointed out the 'error' of rfr10's argument?

Now I have to go as my Horlicks is getting cold.....

Ahhh, so you use the old (I can't seem to shake that word) "follow the masses" line. And insult you by calling you an idiot? I called you an idiot because you seemed hell-bent on making sure others were sure (thats too many sures) that you were right, when just because everyone else says so they all must be right.

"old".... Thanks for the permission, but I wasn't looking for it. The word "old" in the way I was using it was to provoke the image of those OAPs telling stories about "the good old days". So if you took that much offense from it, then I apoligize sincerly. (Who am I kidding? Not myself, thats for sure. This is debate!!! That means people with different opinions use differnet points and state these points in different ways. Mine was by using the word "old" to not really insult, but to do as previously stated, and to also maybe get you to open your eyes just a little, and see whether things really need to be like they were in the "good old days" {I really need to stop using that phrase!})

Now, there is one thing left to say. (And its not that I suddenly agree with you because you suddenly pointed out that you are part of the masses). It is that you talk of insults when you readily mocked rfr because he said hundred whilst talking about a group of 100 people. I ask, did this help your argument? If the answer is no, then all I was really doing was returning the favour. So GO. We wouldn't want your drink to get cold... (btw, I hit the fullstop butting hard and slowly there to be condesending. I say this because you can't tell the speed I typed it when reading it!)

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 09:54
This is debate!!! That means people with different opinions use differnet points and state these points in different ways.

Thank you for acknowledging that point - but I suppose in your forum I would be excluded from the debate?

[Here are some empty parentheses for you to use in your next response as I wouldn't want you to use up all yours..((((()))))] Oh, have some free braces as well {{{{{}}}}}....]

It is that you talk of insults when you readily mocked rfr because he said hundred whilst talking about a group of 100 people. I ask, did this help your argument?

Mocking? For pointing out that on one hand he states "hundreds" when he actually meant nearly one hundred? His statement is misleading. And if he included that figure in his correspondence with the Council that is clearly not a good thing (unless you believe that less than 100 are in fact the "masses"? Is overwhelming opinion?). rfr10 wishes to follow a political path. Good on him (said without any sarcasm or any attempt to mock him) but politicians have to get their facts spot on - otherwise they get found out. Just look at our current government....

So, I will say one last thing -
Whatever...

BTW, I said that in the manner of todays youth - a sort of uninterested dismissing kind of tone in my voice. But then you can't hear how I said it, so just so you know, I typed it with one hand held palm out towards the monitor.

dunderheed
16-Apr-08, 10:55
rfr cosidering the cost of a train and bus to inverness from thurso, i dont think a taxi is overpriced (considering you can get 4 people into it ) i think you time would be better spent persuing the job of dropping the price of true public transport( i class taxis as private transport) as the price of trains and buses is the real rip off in this area

Amy-Winehouse
16-Apr-08, 11:18
Id hate to be a taxi driver with rfr in the car as a pick up!!!!

It should be £3 from Lidls to Dempster street in a taxi , or ir certainly was last friday night & that was with the dearest Wick firm (who shall remain nameless) What time of night was it? did the friend have many waits or drop offs as it seems an awfully high price.

Another thing that people in Wick dont seem to realise is they have cheaper taxis than in Thurso, In Thurso the residents pay what is on the meter
, whereas in Wick they have fixed prices for each run but some chancers will put the meter on & charge exactly what is on it. This in itself isnt illegal as this is what the meters are for!!

Im sorry but cheap taxis are a luxury nowadays & some people will have to realise this, the running costs are not cheap- 2 MOTs a year, the Taxi plate, your taxi licence, the petrol, the insurance plus highland council wanting their share(like the mafia,only legally) Then of course theres the wages to pay & then the small matter of profit. As with most business you are hardly going to do 80 hours a week for no profit are you?

I agree with rfr that any driver seen smoking in the cab should be told or reported as it is disgusting habit, they have enough time to smoke when they are at somerfields.

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 11:25
i think you time would be better spent persuing the job of dropping the price of true public transport( i class taxis as private transport) as the price of trains and buses is the real rip off in this area

I would consider a taxi as 'private transport' as well.

thebigman
16-Apr-08, 14:06

If they were charged this amount they should be reported as it's well over the maximum charge even for Tariff 3.

Similarly if you have complaints about the condition of vehicles or smoking in the taxis this should also be reported giving full details of car and driver from displayed license. Phone 01955 607737.

If it's hearsay or gossip then don't bother reporting or posting it here.

If you wish to comment on the fares review you can find deatils on the Council's website.

rfr10
16-Apr-08, 16:08
If they were charged this amount they should be reported as it's well over the maximum charge even for Tariff 3.

Similarly if you have complaints about the condition of vehicles or smoking in the taxis this should also be reported giving full details of car and driver from displayed license. Phone 01955 607737.

If it's hearsay or gossip then don't bother reporting or posting it here.

If you wish to comment on the fares review you can find deatils on the Council's website.

I'm afraid it was a friend who was charged this price and they did not think to complain at the time.

I have commented on the fares review by email which was passed onto the council's taxi licencing section. I also received an email fro the Transport Development Officer from the council outlining key facts.

General Comment not related to the quote:

I hope people do realise that when I post comments/ statements on here, I do actually contact key officials/ organisations in relation to the issues highlighted on Caithness.org by myself and others and that the majority of the time, my comments are not only my personal opinion but the majority of young people I represent aswell in Caithness. I act according to what I feel is going to benefit young people. What I debate usually does not benefit me personally however I do feel that the voice of everyone should be heard including young people. Unlike some, I do not want to benefit myself and mainly look at the views of other young people.

In this case, I find it very annoying for me and the transport group to have tried to hard to reduce the cost of public transport in the Highlands and then to find that they are actually increasing the costs of public transport- going in the completely opposite direction. I would expect to pay for the quality of service I am receiving therefore better established, hygenic, friendly taxi services should be allowed to charge higher prices than those taxi firms who do not fall into any of these categories. For some people to show a total lack of support in taking part in what seems more like an argument against who's right that a debate for equal opinions, I think it is horrible and especially when, what is being done is an attempt to improve transport for the public but all that is received is a negative attitude.

If you want to personally attack me for the statements and views I give by saying I'm talking complete nonscence and making it out that I'm the only person in the world who thinks like this then you go ahead but don't expect it to do anything for your own reputation. I am happier and more willing to take part in a debate even if it is slightly heated rather than having to constantly argue with people to get a point across.

Max
16-Apr-08, 18:31
Gosh I am shocked by come of the comments on this thread. Some taxi firms take a huge pride in their vehicles. Most of the passengers are quite happy to spill food and drink over the taxi. Drunk pasengers often get abusive when asked not to smoke or put their cigarettes out. There should be no deviation in fares and people shouldn't try and negotiate fares. The taxi metres are calibrated by the Council at the taxi operators expense. The cost of rising fuel puts everything else up so why not taxi fares? Cars are checked every 6 months by the Council if they are over a certain age and annaully for newer cars - at the operators expense. A car brand new - straight out of the showroom has to get an MOT and check at the operators expense if it is a taxi. Spot checks are also carried out by trading standards and the council. People try to jump out without paying - honestly I think taxi drivers/operators deserve their money.

Can you imagine being in the City and saying "I'm not paying that!" It just wouldn't happen!

Tony
16-Apr-08, 19:17
Firstly I wouldn't consider a Taxi to come under the category of Public Transport but in saying that they are sometimes contracted for school or Hospital runs.
The prices of Taxis are expensive all over the country and the operators have to make a living like everyone else.
As Joe public is paying for a service I feel that the regulators have a duty to ensure taxi driver's are properly vetted, cars are of above average condition and driver training should include successful completion of an advanced driver training course.

domino
16-Apr-08, 19:48

I understand that all taxis have meters. i aso understand that the tarrifs are fixed,therefore if the meter reads £7.00 there is no argument. It is not up yo the taxi operator to set tariffs

golach
16-Apr-08, 20:01
rfr10, you say you were just told it cost £7 , how reliable is your source?
All Taxis have meters and the meter tariffs are decided by the relevant councils for that area. I would not go into a taxi that did not have its meter running, how else would one know what the real price should be.
If on the other hand, I were to ask the driver how much would you charge to take me from Lidis to my house approx half a mile away ( which is technically a private hire) and the driver said £7, I am afraid my answer would have gone along the lines of is your name Dick Turpin, and I would not have taken that taxi.
P.S. IMO Taxis are not public transport

Max
16-Apr-08, 21:00
Private Hire Cabs that aren't allowed on the rank but are plated don't have to have meters and therefore you may be able to negotiate a better price. Your question is answered rfr10 - if the cab didn't have a meter the charge could be whatever....... if it was on the meter could it be waiting time as well as the journey?

bobandag16
16-Apr-08, 21:05

what bus . when and where . hourly daily week come to thurso taxi may be dear but supply a need.

2little2late
16-Apr-08, 21:11

If this is the case they have been well and truly ripped off. The taxi meter should have been on for a start. Did the passenger not question the fare? More fool him for paying the £7. The maximum it should have cost him is £2.50. Why didn't he query the cost in the first place?

rfr10
16-Apr-08, 21:11
Ok I've been in a taxi maybe twice and the first time, I kept my eye on the meter and when we got to the end of the journey, it read, not remembering exactly now, about £14 and then I noticed the taxi driver pressing a button and the price suddenly jumped up about £3. Why is this?

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 21:15
bobandag16,
In this example a bus would probably not be an option. I'd have just asked Lidl if I could borrow a trolley if I had that much stuff to get back and push it home (it's only a ten minute stroll if I recall my days of walking round Wick).
Taxis are far more convenient a form of 'alternative' transport than the bus. Taxis run to 'your' timetable. I'm not disputing that. I probably use taxis more than public transport (buses) so you'll not get an argument from me.

2little2late
16-Apr-08, 21:17
Gone are the days of a taxi driver knocking on your door to announce its arrival.

Taxi drivers are not obliged to go to your door to advise of their arrival. If people phone for a taxi they should be ready and waiting.

MadPict
16-Apr-08, 21:25
2little2late,
I also expect that driver safety might come into it - if a driver leaves his vehicle he has to take his 'cash box' with him, so could be vulnerable to getting mugged by being required to knock on doors (bogus call for taxi to empty address, muggers jump driver as he knocks door kind of scenario).
Drivers round here certainly don't get out when they do pick ups...

henry20
17-Apr-08, 07:57
Ok I've been in a taxi maybe twice and the first time, I kept my eye on the meter and when we got to the end of the journey, it read, not remembering exactly now, about £14 and then I noticed the taxi driver pressing a button and the price suddenly jumped up about £3. Why is this?

This is because the initial charge is added. The £14 was for distance travelled. If you'd gotten the taxi from Lidl's to New look, it probably would have said 50p, but you'd get charged £3.50. Every fare has a set initial fee, then the remainder of the fare goes by distance. (or waiting time if there is a significant delay in the fare getting to the car)

Max
17-Apr-08, 09:20

Are you sure you weren't looking at the time! :)

golach
17-Apr-08, 09:28
I dont know the practise in Caithness of how Taxi meters work, but in Edinburgh, as soon as you open the Taxi door to get in there is a charge, I think at the moment it is around £2.50 which is then added to your fare at the end of the journey, that is if you pick up a taxi at a rank. If you call for a cab to come and pick you up, there will be an additional charge on top of your fare also.
As for the practice of cabs tooting their horns informing you that they are there....thats is against the city bylaws down here after 7pm. Most Taxi firms here are all computer controlled and on booking the cab, the company usually informs you the the driver will give you two rings on your phone to alert you he is waiting.
This is the present tariff for the city of Edinburgh cabs
http://www.edinburghlectures.org/internet/Attachments/Internet/Business/Licensing/licences/Taxi/Fares/taxi_fares_2006.pdf

dirdyweeker
17-Apr-08, 20:50
Taxi drivers are not obliged to go to your door to advise of their arrival. If people phone for a taxi they should be ready and waiting.

I know they are not obliged to knock on your door, hence my comment "gone are the days etc" I was merely noting the fact that nowadays most taxi drivers "peep" their horn to announce their arrival, regardless of time!

Riffman
17-Apr-08, 20:58
I always thought the prices up here were dirt cheap to what I was used to.

Back on the island it costs over £20 to get 2 miles!

I have never been charged more than a £5 up here.

taylor.4
17-Apr-08, 22:03
Thank you! I didn't think I was the only one who saw what taxis are like and yes Venture, I totally agree with you in saying that the only decent firm is Dina's.Can i ask rfr10 if you don't use taxis how do you know that Dina's is the only decent taxi firm?

northener
17-Apr-08, 22:11
Rfr10, I think you are getting facts confused with your friend's opinion.

When you get in a Taxi cab, the meter is put on. The initial charge during the period 8.00am to midnight is set at tariff 1. This is £2.50.

This applies for the first 960 yards or part thereof - so it doesn't 'cost' just to sit in the cab, it's a minimum charge for the first half mile. After the first 960 yards it goes up in increments of 10p per 160yds.

Tariff2: £3.00 Applies on Jan 2nd, between midnight and 8.00am on any day, all day Sunday and when 5 or more passengers are in the car.
This is for the first 672 yards - or part, and the increments of 10p per 112yds.

Tariff3: £3.60 applies Xmas day, Boxing day, and New Years day, applies when 5 or more passengers are being carried between Midnight and 8.00am and all day Sunday.
This is for the first 516 yds with 10p increments per 86yds.

Extra charges:
Waiting time at 10p every 30 seconds.
Booking ahead by phone 50p.
Charge allowable up to a max of £6.50 is pick up is further than 3 miles from Taxis base or present position (whichever is closer to pick up) and passenger wishes to travel further away.

Private Hire cars (not Taxis) are not subject to meter rates (if one is not fitted), but they must inform the passenger of the price before the start of the journey. PH cannot be flagged down or pick up off the steet without prior booking.

All this information is clearly laid out in every single taxi in Wick. It is a legal requirement to display it. If it isn't, complain on the number given above.

Regarding your complete lack of understanding of how Taxi businesses survive in a high overhead, low return market:

May I politely suggest you take up the words of some posters on this thread who suggested you actually find out a little bit about what you claim to be 'representing'. Once you see what the overheads are in the Taxi trade, you may change your tune somewhat.

....And maybe then spend a little more time coming up with rational discussion, instead of spouting unsubstantiated opinions that are not even remotely based on fact. Oh, and less time insulting a lot of hard working men and women who work long hours in a job that you wouldn't last a day in.

That is, of course, if you wish to be taken seriously by anyone on this matter.

taylor.4
17-Apr-08, 23:08
Firstly can i say to rfr10 that the taxi fares in wick are quite cheap, compared to other places, by the time u add on the fuel, plus expences, the taxis have to go throught an mot, not like ordinary cars, but checking on scratches, dent's, seat coverings, need i say more, also there is insurance, plus the expence of the day to day running of the car, also if by any chance if a custome is sick, the taxi is off the road until it is cleaned, that it costing the taxi firm money as the taxi is off the road, at the end of the day, it is a business like anyone else, if you ever have a problem with a taxi driver you should alway contact the council, they are there to deal with any problems that the public have.