PDA

View Full Version : Storms also wreak havoc in her life!

rich
15-Apr-08, 21:20
Surprised to hear that there is a DVD of the Silver Darlings available.
I wondered what the international critics thought of the movie and went to the New York Times to find out.
They claim that the Silver Darlings includes elements of a documentary? Can this be true?
Anyhow connoiseurs of preposterous twaddle coupled with a highly impaired sense of geography will enjoy this.

Review Summary
The hard lives of those living on the rugged Hebrides are chronicled in this drama that is partially comprised of footage from a documentary. The story centers on a farmer's wife who becomes miserable when her husband loses his livelihood and is forced to become a herring fisherman on those barren isles. The woman loathes life near the sea, and after her husband is forcibly inducted into the Navy, she moves in with her aunt. In the new village, she meets the handsome captain of a herring boat and they fall in love. Unfortunately, a cholera outbreak erupts. She must also cope with her son's desire to become a fisherman. Storms also wreak havoc in her life, but fortunately, she weathers it all and at last is able to be with the man she truly loves. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

Movie Details
Title: The Silver Darlings
Running Time: 93 Minutes
Genre: Docudrama
Go to Cast & Credits »
Related Articles
TECHNOLOGY
Bridging the Gap, the Sequel
By LAURA M. HOLSON
April 15, 2008

ciderally
15-Apr-08, 21:24
thought it was based in helmsdale...been a long time since i read the book..

rich
15-Apr-08, 21:32
Is anybody going to read the book or go to the movie, confronted with a review like this? (It's still happening in the Hebrides and that documentary is still attached!) Seriously can you imagine running into a friend and saying I'm reading some great cholera stuff????

Movie Mail:
Film Description

A harsh if ultimately optimistic depiction of life in the unforgiving Hebrides, that includes documentary footage to add to the sense of realism. A woman weathers the conscription of her husband, destructive storms, a son who yearns to leave the family home and an outbreak of cholera before winning the man she truly loves.

Tighsonas4
15-Apr-08, 21:40
THE SILVER DARLINGS
this film was shot in and around wick. knew quite a lot of the FOLK that were taken on for the filming.they were delighted as they the stars[lol]
it was all centered in this area. tony

golach
15-Apr-08, 22:07
Is anybody going to read the book or go to the movie, confronted with a review like this? (It's still happening in the Hebrides and that documentary is still attached!) Seriously can you imagine running into a friend and saying I'm reading some great cholera stuff????

Movie Mail:
Film Description

A harsh if ultimately optimistic depiction of life in the unforgiving Hebrides, that includes documentary footage to add to the sense of realism. A woman weathers the conscription of her husband, destructive storms, a son who yearns to leave the family home and an outbreak of cholera before winning the man she truly loves.
This is the synopsis I got from my movie web site http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039824/synopsis

Set on the remote and rugged North East coast of Scotland, Silver Darlings chronicles the life of the local herring Fishermen in their daily quest to sustain a life from the sea. These fishermen lovingly refer to the herring as their 'Silver Darlings'. The men who risk their lives daily, putting out to sea in small wooden boats, also have to face the additional peril of the British Navy press gangs who prey on the small crofting communities along the coastline. Helen Shingler plays Catrine, the wife of one such fisherman who was 'pressed' into service by the navy never to return. She is eventually pursued by Roddie (Clifford Evans) - the lead figure in the fishing community. Catrine's only son Finn (Murdo Morrison) warms to the realtionship between his Mother and Roddie after a dramatic cliff rescue where he is saved from certain death after Roddie risks his own life to save the boy.

Poultney lad
15-Apr-08, 22:13
So where can you purchase the dvd ?????

dirdyweeker
15-Apr-08, 23:25
So where can you purchase the dvd ?????

Ebay! They have 2 copies for sale now.

moureen
16-Apr-08, 11:27
My Mam and her sister were offered parts in the film I think some of the film was shot in Dunbeath {where they lived} my Mam was talking about it not long ago the lead actress was living in the hotel in the village Mam and Auntie Eileen used to sit in their bedroom window and watch her walk along it took her for ever my Mam said as she wore high,high,heels!!!! they also thought she was beatiful,by the way by the time filming started Mam and Eileen were to big for parts!!.

Tighsonas4
16-Apr-08, 12:45
SILVER DARLINGS
glad to read your post maureen as i was just going to google where this film was cast. they had quite alot of locals in it
they used to meet at the old station hotel in the mornings several only to see if they got on the cast.[lol]
it got a showing in the old pavilion picture house after it was made tony

rich
16-Apr-08, 14:57
Dropping a bucklet down the well of memory I drag up this memory - or is it all an illusion? But was there not a local lass who became a movie actress (a very minor one but still...) and could the name have been Fiona Clyne or somesuch? Maybe someone with the DVD could look up the cast listing...

rich
16-Apr-08, 14:59
Golach, you certainly got a better summary than the ones I found!

domino
16-Apr-08, 20:04
Bought the DVD at harbourfest. Loved it as a child but very disappointed with this copy.

it seems that once every year,at Pultenytown Academy, we went to the Pavilion and watched that film
Mind you there are a few facts in the DVD which Caithness researchers may find interesting.
I feel that the DVD is a much reduced edition of the original

Tighsonas4
16-Apr-08, 20:16
yes it was fiona clyne that had parts in several films rich but cant say if she was on the silver darlings
there was a gentelman called CUMMEY playing the pipes they used to say he was only doing the actions while someone else did the playing [lol] [lol] tony

golach
16-Apr-08, 21:28
Rich this web site is good for all info on films and actors or actresses

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0167431/