PDA

View Full Version : How Much Has Play Changed?

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-08, 19:59
I sometimes wonder if the children of today have as much fun playing as I did as a child.
My world of fun was inexpensive and imaginative as we could not afford the luxureys of today.
The games we played were hop scotch, marbles,hide and seek, making cabins and dens,climbing trees and hanging swings from them.
Can anyone else add to the list of favourite playtime games that you don't see the youngster's of today playing?

karia
15-Apr-08, 20:01
Hi kevin..dae ye mind whip and peerie?

A sort of spinning top ye wound string around and set go wi a flick o e wrist!

my mam was ace at that!

the_count
15-Apr-08, 20:08
I seem to recall in my former years finding bent branches in the bushes and making our own hockey sticks and playing in the local field with a tennis ball, making bows and arrows from the same and making carts from old prams and bikes

Metalattakk
15-Apr-08, 20:14
Was astonished to see 'playground monitors' - adults with hi-vis jackets on - teaching the school kids how to play hopscotch.

Why are these kids not learning these games from their peers or ultimately, their parents?

dellwak
15-Apr-08, 20:20
There was a game we played in the Miller Academy, Thurso similar to hide and seek.
You had 2 teams, one team were the seekers and the others went and hid. If a seeker caught someone he took them back to the den. When all the the hiders were caught and in the den, the sides changed. But if a hider managed to get to the den without being caught, he could free all the rest. We didn't call it hide and seek though, can anyone remember what we did call it

karia
15-Apr-08, 20:26
There was a game we played in the Miller Academy, Thurso similar to hide and seek.
You had 2 teams, one team were the seekers and the others went and hid. If a seeker caught someone he took them back to the den. When all the the hiders were caught and in the den, the sides changed. But if a hider managed to get to the den without being caught, he could free all the rest. We didn't call it hide and seek though, can anyone remember what we did call it

Bullying?!!;)

dellwak
15-Apr-08, 20:29
Bullying?!!;)

Na!! Or it might have been. I can remember the girls won most of the time.

ciderally
15-Apr-08, 20:30
levo...i think

dellwak
15-Apr-08, 20:35
Levo - Yeh!! That sounds like it. Were you there then Ciderally?

ciderally
15-Apr-08, 20:40
Levo - Yeh!! That sounds like it. Were you there then Ciderally?
oh yes...and kissing chase:roll: i can name names...tee hee

silverfox57
15-Apr-08, 20:41
as a boy went to harbour asked for old fish box,got pram wheels out of dump, had to buy bolt,then mad my cartie,with great pride,we had lots of fun such as cartie races,then was used as Mobile shop,as little boy selling my fathers products from plot,happy days

Ash
15-Apr-08, 20:48
similiar to hide and seek we used to play one man hunt depending on the amount kids it would sometimes be 2man hunt :D

honey
15-Apr-08, 20:52
similiar to hide and seek we used to play one man hunt depending on the amount kids it would sometimes be 2man hunt :D

or hounds and hares in teams...

and that usually descended into "skive the garden" with a whole pile of us kids running through peoples back gardens...

it was fun then.. but to all the folk of springpark... SORRY!!!! :eek:

dragon
15-Apr-08, 21:02
we used to play a game called sardines, where one person hid and then other would find them and hide with them, the last person to get there had to hide next. we'd also build sand castles and "igloos" when the snow was deep. one year we made a huge snow ball, all the kids where involved was a good time. shame kids today just want to play computer games or laze about.

Ash
15-Apr-08, 21:16
or hounds and hares in teams...

and that usually descended into "skive the garden" with a whole pile of us kids running through peoples back gardens...

it was fun then.. but to all the folk of springpark... SORRY!!!! :eek:

haha i grew up in springpark :D

ciderally
15-Apr-08, 21:20
farmers in his den....one is the farmer ..they pick a wife...wife picks a child...child picks a dog....dog picks a bone...and then the bone wont break...whoever is the bone gets battered on his back....tee hee happy times

karia
15-Apr-08, 21:30
farmers in his den....one is the farmer ..they pick a wife...wife picks a child...child picks a dog....dog picks a bone...and then the bone wont break...whoever is the bone gets battered on his back....tee hee happy times

Oh happy happy!:roll::eek:

Penelope Pitstop
15-Apr-08, 22:17
Gee how did we survive without all the expensive toys and gadgets!!!...never did us any harm eh:lol:

What fun we had and all that exercise. Does anyone remember kick the can??? (another expensive gadget!!)

Skipping rope...tied to a post if there were only 2 of you playing.
Elastics
Hunt the leader (or named something like that)...one group or person went away first and marked their route with an arrow drawn on the pavement with chalk (if we didn't have chalk we used the filler/putty stuff that kept the glass in windows!!)....gasp, horror, vandals that we were....the other person or group had to count up to something or other and then set off to find you (see counting skills required as well !! lol)

Kids just don't play like that anymore....they just don't know how. Sad isn't it....they really are missing out.

I remember in summer we were out most of the time, not sat in front of the TV or computer.

Knees used to be black between skirt and top of socks (weather beaten!!!)...Mum trying to scrub them clean.....yikes:lol:

trix
15-Apr-08, 22:22

we hed 'at game too, it wis abity efter levo...levo wis banned oot o' all 'e schools but 'e name got changed til 'british bulldog'

exactly same rules tho...i think it probly got banned too :lol:

carasmam
15-Apr-08, 22:51
we hed 'at game too, it wis abity efter levo...levo wis banned oot o' all 'e schools but 'e name got changed til 'british bulldog'

exactly same rules tho...i think it probly got banned too :lol:

Why did British Bulldog get banned? I never knew that :eek:

Our fave was kiss, cuddle and torture. Depending on who you caught, torture was a kiss and a cuddle lol

trix
15-Apr-08, 23:01
Why did British Bulldog get banned? I never knew that

Our fave was kiss, cuddle and torture. Depending on who you caught, torture was a kiss and a cuddle lol

i think probly cause it wis too violent...in ma school anyway :eek:

aye, kiss, cuddle an torture....an pass 'e polo [lol]

dirdyweeker
15-Apr-08, 23:05
I'm with you Penelope P......mind you in Wick it was called 'kick e' cannie'!
Great game I played in Robertson Square as a bairn.
Other favourite was ball games. Any one remember bouncing the ball against a wall going chanting these words....'plannie, clappie, rolla-pin, to-backie. Ist ma knee, then ma toe, bounce the ball and through ye go! Great fun.............

trix
15-Apr-08, 23:06
kirby used til keep us amused for oers :lol:

TBH
15-Apr-08, 23:12
Levo - Yeh!! That sounds like it. Were you there then Ciderally?Is it something along the lines of 'buzz off'?

carasmam
15-Apr-08, 23:12
i think probly cause it wis too violent...in ma school anyway :eek:

aye, kiss, cuddle an torture....an pass 'e polo [lol]

We couldna have been violent, no that I can mind anyway lol
Never played pass the polo - though I can guess what it is haha.

Can anyone mind 'whats the time mr wolf' I can vaguely mind playing it, but I'm not sure how it went.

dirdyweeker
15-Apr-08, 23:18
Mr Wolf at one end of room. All others at opposite end. Advancing party ask Mr Wolf "whats the time"
He/ she replies, eg 4o'clock. Advancing party walk forward 4 steps. Ask same question and advance the said number of steps but...if Mr Wolf answers "dinner time!" he/she turns round and tries to catch someone who becomes then Mr Wolf. Hope that makes sense!!

carasmam
15-Apr-08, 23:20
Mr Wolf at one end of room. All others at opposite end. Advancing party ask Mr Wolf "whats the time"
He/ she replies, eg 4o'clock. Advancing party walk forward 4 steps. Ask same question and advance the said number of steps but...if Mr Wolf answers "dinner time!" he/she turns round and tries to catch someone who becomes then Mr Wolf. Hope that makes sense!!

Yeah, I remember it now !! Thanks :D

trix
15-Apr-08, 23:21
i mind 'whats 'e time mr wolf'

we played'ed in 'e shelter.

ye wid stan in a line an shout 'whats 'e time mr wolf?'

mr wilf wid be standin aboot 20 feet awie wi his back til ye an he wid shout '5 o' clock'

ye wis hev til take 5 steps forward an so on til mr wolf shouted 'denner time' an then he wid try an catch 'e next mr wolf [lol]

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-08, 23:23
Jack stones, conkers,pitch and toss,flicks,with football cards etc,It is nice to see many kids now with trampolines though as that is a good dynamic out door activety that all youngster's seem to enjoy.

trix
15-Apr-08, 23:24
mind all 'e skippin songs...?

'who ye gona merry, who ye gona merry....
a tinkler, a taylor, a soldier, a sailor,
a rich man, a poor man, a begger man, a theif'

Venture
15-Apr-08, 23:33
I remember collecting scraps and the boys used to be football cards that you got with a bit of pink chewing gum. Do you also remember you used to make a fortune teller out of folded paper and then you had to pick certain things written on it and that told you your fortune.

TBH
15-Apr-08, 23:44
I remember collecting scraps and the boys used to be football cards that you got with a bit of pink chewing gum. Do you also remember you used to make a fortune teller out of folded paper and then you had to pick certain things written on it and that told you your fortune.Remember the fortune telling fish that you placed in the palm of your hand?

tisme
16-Apr-08, 07:52
Other favourite was ball games. Any one remember bouncing the ball against a wall going chanting these words....'plannie, clappie, rolla-pin, to-backie. Ist ma knee, then ma toe, bounce the ball and through ye go! Great fun.............

God I used to play this for hours and hours masel. I remember once I got to play out till 10 o'clock (seemed like 10 don't actually know, but I was the only one in the street) one summer night coz I was standing playing this and my mum could see me from the window. I used to sing away to myself on the dyke across from my hoose for hours as well. God I sound like a billy no mates, I did have lots of friends, but I could entertain myself too..

brokencross
16-Apr-08, 08:44
Used to play soldiers (us against the Gerry) with pieces of wood shaped as guns (a rifle or machine gun).
Used to play Cowboys and Indians with bits of wood as a gun (pistols) and very poorly fashioned bow and arrow from a big bent twig and string. Indoor cowboys used the arm of the couch as a horse with many dramatic falling off scenes resulting in banged heads. Both games much the same except you made different noises and rode an imaginary horse. Would play this by re-enacting the films we had seen at the matinee at the Pavilion on Saturday morning.

Played various marbles games, hopscotch of different varieties, all sorts of skipping, numerous small ball games.
Hide and Seek/Chase games with different twists to the rules.
Lots of football on the pitch near Coach Road, 15 or 20 a side sometimes. As tea-time got closer the teams got smaller and smaller as kids drifted off, if one team got too small some kids would swap sides. After tea you would play something else, depending on how many people were out again.

The fun and games were only limited by the kids imagination and the setting of the sun.

Those really were HAPPY DAYS.

JamesMcVean
16-Apr-08, 08:47
You dont see many children playing a game - OUTSIDE LOL
Today it is all Wii and PS...and the net...

I think that there is a culture of fear among adults after SO many high profile abductions and killings of kids!!!

We used to roam far and wide in Orkney, with gang huts up on Brinkie's Brae, and a fantastic game called werewolf - where one lad starts off as the werewolf and as he catches the others, they also become Chasers...ahhh the good ole days LOL

James

Torvaig
16-Apr-08, 08:59
A Poem by John Coghill (Skinnet, Halkirk) made up for the Barrock Public (Lyth) School reunion
Boy it’s great til be back wi ‘e good folks o’ Lyth
Where I spent without doubt ‘e best days o’ my life
An’ a big pert o’ ‘at wis down ‘ere at ‘e school
Wi’ George Steven ‘e teacher til lay down ‘e rule.
Well ye started of first in Miss Mow’ds little room
Where ‘e peedie chiels cowned for their mam filled wi’ gloom
They’d be kickan an’ skirlan ‘e awfulest din
An’ it took near a week just til settle them in.
Mind we’d cerry in snowdrops, ‘e first floors o’ spring
An’ she’d pit them in juggies and jarries and things
Then ye all got a slatie for do’an yer sums
An’ ‘e squeak o’ id rattled ‘e teeth in yer gums.
‘E two playgrounds divided by yon muckle dick
More fortifications than Inverness nick
When an odd loon might chance id an jump o’er ‘e wall
Then ‘e wrath o’ George Steven wis vent on us all.
We hed games in ‘e playground we’d play Camalee
On ‘e third shout we took off in wan mad mellee
Ye just skelped cross ‘e fieldie til no chiel wis left
An’ then lay on yer side oot o’ win’ on ‘e gress.
When ‘e winter time came, wi’ a deighty o’ snow
We wid plough in ‘e playground, how straight could ye go
I mind Aldie wis judgan, he measured ‘e plots
An’ young Jamie Oliphant, hed ‘e best lot.
If ‘e frost set in harder, well down in ‘e ground
We wid skate on ‘e quarry, though weel out o’ bounds
Jamie Frachar wid see us, an’ chase us all back
Wi’ ‘e threat o’ George Steven, an’ yon two toed strap.
Can ye mind ‘e school picnic, hid could cause a fuss
When ‘e bairns widna go on til Morrison’s bus
We all crammed in wi’ Jamsie, an’ Danny looked dourer
For every chiel wanted on Dunnet’s new tourer.
We wid set off at last for ‘e beach an’ ‘e san’
Wi’ ‘e peats for ‘e fire in Will Smith’s big blue van
There’s no better run outing, e’er seen til ‘is day
Well, ‘e WRI hed ‘e most o’ ‘e say.
At ‘is same time o’ year ‘e prize giving wid come
An’ John Allan wid visit til see how we’d done
Wi’ Don Henderson Sortat an’ Abrach Mackay
Til dish oot ‘e prizes, a sweetie forbye.
There wis twa or three folk at wid give ye ‘e hump
An’ ‘e doctor wis wan wi’ yon jab for ‘e mumps
I hev seen big rough loons, lookan fair faint an’ pale
For ‘e needle wis blunt as an ould six inch nail.
Mind ‘e nurse wis anither at wisna too good
Aye lookan for lice, an’ she’d poke in yer loog
But we all leked ‘e dentist, a right friendly man
What we didna much lek wis yin pliers in his han’.
Now Lyth’s a fine quate place, without any thugs
No a bit lek ‘e cities, filled wi’ crime an’ drugs
All yon muggers and robbers out ‘ere stealan cars
But Lyth wis ‘e first place til start ‘e turf wars.
Mind when Joe filled ‘e ditchie, round fae ‘e school road
An’ laid down a fine lawn then, wi’ freshly cut sod
But ‘e loons started fechtan wi’ divad’s ‘at night
By ‘e end o’ id Joe’s lawn wis no bonny sight.
Well next morning ‘e headmester wrinkled his broo
Said we’d let ‘e school down an’ id just widna do
An’ ‘e sting in wir hannies, wid fair make ye gasp
Double Alex swore ‘at’s why they called him ‘e wasp.
All ‘at Alterwall loons wis quite quate as a rule
An’ I mind fine when Donnie ‘ere started ‘e school
Man id wisna too safe til rub him ‘e wrong way
For I’ll tell ye no lie, id could spoil yer whole day.
Now id’s no ‘at wee Donal wis wicked or tough
Though he could hold his own wi’ ‘e best right enough
No, a far bigger danger, til yer life an’ limb
Wis yon two older sisters at doted on him.
But ‘e twins Tom an’ Bess were no bother at all
Though I’ve seen poor Miss Mow’d lek til climb ‘e school wall
Once she flited at Betsy, for fallan’ asleep
But id’s Tom at broke down, an’ then started til peep.
Here’s a story I hope ‘ill no pop Ian Bain
When ‘e loons wis all tryan Jean’s favour til gain
So efter much thought she said ‘is chiel ‘ill do
An’ I found mysel right at ‘e head o’ ‘e queue.
On ‘e Saturday I wis asked down for my tea
Wi’ her mither an’ faither and Jeannie an’ me
But I must confess Jean that I fell for your mam
For she melted my heart wi’ her pancakes an’ jam.
Then there’s Jean’s brither James, boy he hed us all fooled
Who throughout his whole youth, said he hated ‘e school
What he does for a living ye never could guess
For he’s still at ‘e high school, a teacher no less.
I mind back in ‘e fifties ‘e polis man came
Til learn us road safety on bikes, wis his game
He said, “test your brakes, keep your tyres fill o’ air”
But ‘e Barrock Mains boys, they were not treated fair.
When he looked at wir bikes, no a mudguard or brake
Broken seats an’ ‘e tyres in a bit o’ a state
Well ‘e bobbie stood roaran, “ye’r pushan yer luck”
I aye blamed Sandra Manson, for grassan us up.
Who’d hev thought ‘at Joe Manson wid cause a big fuss
Just by leavan ‘e school in a bit o’ a rush
He ran twice round ‘e classroom, then out at ‘e door
An’ he never set feet in ‘e place any more.
But before ‘at Joe Bruce hed a wee turry murry
One night he left ‘e school in an uncanny hurry
When he chapped on ‘e window, ‘e night class wis on
Big Will Smith darted out, an’ he lined him right home.
Ian Campbell an’ Spider were quite a big noise
As they strutted their stuff as Lyth’s first Teddy Boys
Wearan pointed toed shoes, an’ tight trousers so slick
They wid set off til Week on ‘e look out for chicks
Can ye mind when we all started learnan til write
An’ ‘e jotters wis gathered in last thing at night
All ‘e names on ‘e front, wis quite easy til see
All except for one person, who wrote ABC.
So George Steven wis bristlan, “who thinks ‘is is smart”
Well he wisna too fond o’ folk takan ‘e lark
Til try tricks lek ‘at ye wis takan a gamble
But ‘e culprit owned up, he wis Alan Bain Campbell.
Who can mind yon foul liquid called cod liver ile
Just ‘e thought o’ it still makes me suffer fae bile
We all stood wi’ wir spoonies awaitan wir dose
An’ ‘e fumes o’ it waftan right up in yer nose.
Christine Dixon aye claimed ‘at it kept her skin clear
But she wisna quite honest about it I fear
She hed squashed her spoon flat on ‘e edge o’ a stone
An’ took less o’ ‘e stuff than she ever let on.
Did I tell ye ‘e story when I wis attacked
I wis knittan a sock at ‘e time ‘is is fact
When I think o’ id yet I’m still shakan wi’ fear
An’ I’m shakan right now, for she’s no far fae here.
Talk o’ knitting I’m seean her knittan her broos
For she warned me ‘is story wis not til be used
Ye wid never think knitting wid cause such upheaval
Id wis Shirley at prouged me wi’ her knitting needle.
One day young Sinclair Oliphant opened his bag
An’ among all ‘e books he hed stashed twenty fags
Twenty bairns all lit up, boy hid made a fair foug
An’ soon every last wan wis as seek as a doug.

As id happened, ‘at day Andrew Dunnet went home
An’ came back efter denner wi’ not a thing wrong
’E poor cook got ‘e blame, in ‘e kitchen at Keiss
Although Senior Service hed caused all ‘is grief.
But ‘e best night o’ all wis ‘e school Christmas Treat
When ‘e hallie wis packid wi’ no a spare seat
All ‘e singers wis reachan for notes ever higher
An’ ‘e rest o’ us skirlan away in ‘e choir.
Once ‘e tea wis dished out all ‘e bairnies wis set
Sittan waitan for Santa til see what they’d get
Then at last Santa Claus wid appear at ‘e door
An ‘e bairns wid let oot one almighty great roar.
When ‘e presents wis opened, things moved on at once
An’ ‘e seats wis shived back til make room for ‘e dance
Then ‘e band wid strick up, id wid make your feet diddle
Jim Macadie an’ Rob on ‘e boxie an’ fiddle.
An’ in charge of the dancing, e weel lekid chiel
He’d call polka’s an’ waltzes, ‘e odd eightsome reel
Always laughan an’ jokan just fair fill o’ glee
He wis Lyth’s own George Sutherland, acting M.C.
Lyth’s aye hed it’s stars so til finish ‘is sonnet
Think back til ‘e time ‘at we saw Halley’s Comet
It flew right cross ‘e sky wi’ it’s tail shinan bright
What a pity it came here so late in ‘e night.
Well next morning ‘e bairnies wis all kinda chough
An’ two lassies particlarly kept noddan off
Though I widna divulge who endured ‘is mishap
Christine Dunnet and Anne both got half an hour’s nap. Well my friends time moves on an’ ‘e night’s gettan late
If yer name’s no been mentioned ye’ll ken ye’ve escaped
So now make ‘is a night ‘at ye’ll mind all yer life
An’ here’s til ‘e good folk fae ‘e schoolie at Lyth.

honey
16-Apr-08, 09:09
haha i grew up in springpark :D

we probably played together!!!! :lol:

dunderheed
16-Apr-08, 10:45
im a bit confused, wasnt levo a hide and seek type game ? british bulldogs was a playground game where the object was to get from one side of the playground to the other without the "catcher" getting you or was it different up here?
another we used to play was chain tig. ring bang skoosh was another favourite .street football with a tennis ball always was fun with teams of 20 a side.

dessie
16-Apr-08, 10:58
pushing a cycle wheel with a stick....was boring...but was so good when you through a stick into a moving bycicle and the person was knocked flying,,,and flew over the handle bars...but only if you did not like them..tee.hee....;)

golach
16-Apr-08, 11:01
In the area I lived levo was known as Releavo, and it was a hide and seek game, and as we lived in a wee village, the whole village was used. other games of a similar nature was Kick the Can, British Bulldog was mainly a playground game played in the Laddies playground ( mind those days eh? Separate playgrounds for the sexes and even entrances into the school). Often Bulldog would get banned, when some chiel would get hurt.
As we lived in a farming community often on Sundays our fathers would gather in a suitable field and play football, with about 15 to 20 players a side, and NO Referee, I mind my Dad having to carry our next door neighbour home to the farm cottage as he had been hurt, his wife clouted my Dad as she thought it was him that encouraged her husband to play that rough game.

dunderheed
16-Apr-08, 12:35
it took a wee bit of rooting about but i found this-

Primary School Football Rules:

Does this ring any bells??

Matches shall be played over three unequal periods: two playtimes and lunchtime. Each of these periods shall begin shortly after the ringing of a bell, and although a bell is also rung towards the end of these periods, play may continue for up to ten minutes afterwards, depending on the "bottle" of the participants. There is a sliding scale from those who hasten to stand in line as soon as the bell rings, known as "poofs", through those who will hang on until the time they estimate it takes the teachers to down the last of their G & T's and journey from the staff room, known as "chancers", and finally to those who will hang on until a teacher actually has to physically retrieve them, known as "nutters". It is important, in picking the sides, to achieve a fair balance of poofs, chancers and nutters in order that the scoreline achieved over a sustained period of play is not totally nullified by a five-minute post-bell onslaught of five nutters against one. The scoreline to be carried over from the previous period of the match is in the trust of the last nutters to leave the field of play.
PARAMETERS

The object is to force the ball between two large, unkempt piles of jackets, in lieu of goalposts. These piles may grow or shrink throughout the match, depending on the number of participants and the prevailing weather. It is important that the sleeve of one of the jackets should jut out cross the goalmouth, as it will often be claimed that the ball went "over the post" and is thus disallowed. In the absence of a crossbar, the upper limit of the target area is observed as being slightly above head height, regardless of the height of the keeper. The width of the pitch is variable. In the absence of roads, water hazards etc, the width is determined by how far out the attacking winger has to go before the pursuing defender gives up. At free kicks, the scale of the pitch justifies placing a wall of players eighteen inches from the ball. It is the formal response to "yards", which the kick-taker will incant meaninglessly as he places the ball.
TACTICS

Playground football tactics are best explained in terms of team formation. Whereas senior sides tend to choose - according to circumstance - from e.g. 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-3-2, the playground side is usually more rigid in sticking to the all-purpose 1-1-17 formation.
STOPPAGES

Much stoppage time in the senior game is down to injured players requiring treatment on the field of play. The playground game flows more freely, with play continuing around or even on top of a participant who has fallen - or more likely been pushed - over.

Other stoppages:

1. Ball on school roof or over school wall. The retrieval time itself is negligible in these cases. The stoppage is most prolonged by the argument to decide which player must risk life, limb or four of the belt to scale the drainpipe or negotiate the barbed wire in order to return to play. Disputes usually arise between the player who actually struck ball and any others he claims it may have struck before disappearing into forbidden territory.
2. Bigger boys steal the ball. The intruders will seldom actually steal the ball, but will improvise their own kick about amongst themselves, occasionally inviting the younger players to attempt to tackle them. Standing around looking bored and unimpressed usually results in a quick restart.
3. Menopausal old bag confiscates ball. More of a threat in the street or local green kickabout than within the school walls. Sad, blue-rinsed, ill-tempered, Tory-voting cat-owner transfers her anger about the array of failures that has been her life to nine-year-olds who have committed the heinous crime of letting their ball cross her privet Line of Death. Interruption (loss of ball) is predicted to last "until you learn how to play with it properly".

CELEBRATION

Goal-scorers are entitled to a maximum run of thirty yards with their hands in the air. But making it 34-12 does not entitle the player to drop to his knees and make the sign of the cross. A fabulous solo dismantling of the defence or 25-yard rocket (actually eight yards, but calculated as relative distance because "it's not a full-size pitch") will elicit applause and back-pats from the entire team and the more magnanimous of the opponents. However, a tap-in in the midst of a chaotic scramble will be heralded with the epithet "****ing poacher" from the opposing defence. "****ing goal-hanger" is the preferred alternative. Applying an unnecessary final touch when a ball is already rolling into the goal will elicit a burst nose from the original striker. Kneeling down to head the ball over the line when defence and keeper are already beaten will elicit a thoroughly deserved kicking.
PENALTIES

At senior level, each side often has one appointed penalty-taker, who will defer to a team-mate in special circumstances, such as his requiring one more for a hat trick. In the playground the best player usually takes the penalties but he may defer to the 'best fighter' or if the side is comfortably in front, the ball-owner may be invited to take a penalty. Goalkeepers are often the subject of temporary substitutions at penalties.
CLOSE SEASON

This is known also as the Summer Holidays, when the players dabble briefly in other sports: tennis for a fortnight while Wimbledon is on the telly; pitch-and-putt for four days during the Open; and cricket for about an hour and a half until they reckon it really is as boring playing as it is to watch.

Penelope Pitstop
16-Apr-08, 15:27
I'm with you Penelope P......mind you in Wick it was called 'kick e' cannie'!
Great game I played in Robertson Square as a bairn.

Yeah...I too remember bouncing the ball off a wall....can't remember what we sang along with it though. It was good 'cause you play it when no else was coming out to play!!!

Remember doing it on one wifies wall and she came out and lined me....dare say it was pretty annoying for her.....:D

With weather like today I'd be chomping at the bit to get home after school and out and play......aahhhhhh!!

We even collected up the grass after it had been cut and made hoosies....well outline plan shapes of houses!!.....sad eh!

balto
16-Apr-08, 15:58
when i was little, we never had anything that the kids have now, in the summer holidays we used to go out first thing and went of on what we thought were adventures, we would come back at tea time, now my kids are bored within a few days of the holidays becaue they reckon there is nothing to do, they dont seem to have any imagination anymore.

mums angels
16-Apr-08, 23:14
my kids play buzz, hide and seek, red rover, red rover etc at school (especially the eldest ) and tonight they were out playing in street with mates playing frisbe , kerby, on bouncer hoppers and then played a made up game where they were pirates and princesses etc . just because they have computer games etc doesn't mean they have no imagination and on a nice night like tonight they were out from after school till bed time, roll on the nice nights to get them out and about more :D

Lolabelle
17-Apr-08, 09:12
Someone sent me this in an email, I had to correct some of the words, so I wouldn't get in trouble, hope I got 'em all... :eek: [lol]

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious
diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways yadda, yadda, yadda
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but
look around and notice the youth of today.
You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet . If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up
ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter ,with a pen!
Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the
mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!
Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd
usually talk over the beginning and muck it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone
and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just
didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Play station video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theatre there no such thing as stadium seating!
All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15 channels and there was no on screen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either!
You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bags!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire . imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too
easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

golach
17-Apr-08, 09:19
Lolabelle, I think some of our contributers to these message boards born in the 1990's should take note of your post, and think how lucky they are [lol]

MadPict
17-Apr-08, 10:18
...We didn't call it hide and seek though, can anyone remember what we did call it

I remember playing that - I can't recall if it was called Levo. It rings a bell though.

Maybe the Org should start up a weekend adventure camp to reintroduce kids to all these games!!! Of course you'll have to show them how its done ;)

Kevin Milkins
17-Apr-08, 12:29
With all the Nostalgic posts I think it may be a good idea for the Org to organise a weekend camp for us and blow the kids ,they can stay at home and play on there xbox lol:lol:

ciderally
17-Apr-08, 14:39
With all the Nostalgic posts I think it may be a good idea for the Org to organise a weekend camp for us and blow the kids ,they can stay at home and play on there xbox lol:lol:
with you on that kevin..tee hee....when i was home last year, was out in reiss we all went out and had a game of rounders....never laughed so much..seeing all those over the hill mum's and dad's trying to run round a field ..me included infact i dont think i made it to base...but what fun we had