PDA

View Full Version : PERTH

2little2late
26-May-03, 23:08
I know this probably isn't the right place to ask, but am moving to Perth (Scotland) does anyone have any info about the place?

squidge
26-May-03, 23:19
Yes i can tell you that it is at the next REALLY big roundabout after you leave Inverness.

And i found it has a new Macdonalds and a petrol station where you can sit in and have coffee. Clean loos there too

Hope that helps :D

golach
26-May-03, 23:25
they hev a Caithness Glass place and a fitba team called St Johnstown

George Brims
28-May-03, 18:57
And the most exciting thing about Perth is the bypass that lets you get up to Caithness faster!

I wonder if the original poster is gradually getting the idea that Scotland isn't a small Northern county of England but actually quite a big country, where Perth is down in the middle and Caithness is way up at the top of the map, and frankly we Caitness people don't really know much about the place, nor care to.

2little2late
28-May-03, 21:38
And the most exciting thing about Perth is the bypass that lets you get up to Caithness faster!

The point is I am getting away from Caithness

denise
05-Jun-03, 17:13
I moved to Perth, from Thurso, 7 years ago to go to college. Then moved to Luton for a year and have been back in Perth for 5 years. I find it okay nice size within easy reach of the greenbelt cities and a nice drive home to caithness.
Which part of Perth are you moving to?

rich
05-Jun-03, 17:24
Perth would take the sting out of death...

gleeber
07-Jun-03, 08:47
Deacon Blues got the hump
He thinks Caithness is a dump
When he gets to Perth
And considers his fate
He will find its all too late
The troubles he thought he left behind
Will still be with him when he tries to unwind
Now
Perths the dump
And
Deacon Blues still got the hump.

htwood
07-Jun-03, 15:55
[lol] Spot on, gleeber. It seems that deacon blue's emotional baggage has been packed and waiting by the door for a long time. Surely it will come to Perth with him.

Another thought for deacon blue: Sometimes folks speak ill of a place when they are loath to leave it, it can make the separation easier. I wonder what you will think of Caithness in one year from now.

2little2late
07-Jun-03, 17:08
[lol] Sometimes folks speak ill of a place when they are loath to leave it, it can make the separation easier. I wonder what you will think of Caithness in one year from now.
My feelings will be exactly the same then as they are now.
Tell me one good thing Caithness has got that Perth hasn't?
If you had to convince someone to stay in Caithness how would you convince them?

Anonymous
07-Jun-03, 17:39
Only one good thing.......okay lets start with a coast line.

Geo
07-Jun-03, 18:17
I go to Perth every year. I like it a lot but it's always nice to get back home to Caithness.

squidge
07-Jun-03, 18:46
If you had to convince someone to stay in Caithness how would you convince them?

I would look them in the eye, pat them on the shoulder and tell them

"its okay sweetie.... Deacon Blue doesnt live here any more"

That should make them smile and be so pleased they would stay FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note.........

I sat on Reiss beach last weekend and looked around me and wondered why i ever thought i would leave Caithness. Watching the sunset last night i wondered why i ever thought i would leave Caithness, Being on the receiving end of the sort of kindness from a stranger i have only ever found here i wondered why i ever thought I would leave Caithness, Watching the rain march across the county wiht the contrast of sunshine and clouds i wondered why i ever thought i would leave caithness, Seeing my boy going out safely to play with his friends and not worrying about him i wondered why i ever thought i would leave Caithness, Walking down a street in a city with my bag clutched tightly to my side i wondered why i ever thought i would leave caithness, listening to the traffic news on the radio in a morning i wondered wy i ever thought i would leave Caithness......................................... ..................................... and on and on and on and on

Seems to me when peole are so vociferous about disliking a place it seems to be more about disliking themselves in a place which is quite a different thing

denise
07-Jun-03, 19:11
like geo perth is fine but i do like getting up to caithness. Hubby is from Fort William and we never go there much as he would rather go up to Caithness, not enough to move back up though.

2little2late
07-Jun-03, 19:58
not enough to move back up though.
Exactly my point. It is lacking quite a few amenities. "Shop local" I have heard people say.
What for? I find it very difficult trying to buy things we need up here. No wonder a lot of people travel further south to do their shopping. If the people of Wick want people to shop local then do something about it. Encourage businesses to move up here instead of shunning them. Also, the cost of living is very expensive.
Don't bother saying that's because we live so far north.
Exploitation!!!
Because we live so far north retailers take advantage, knowing the only place to do any decent shopping is Inverness. Not everyone can afford to travel south so instead they slap prices up knowing there is no choice," If you really need it then you will buy it anyway".

golach
07-Jun-03, 20:42
[quote] It is lacking quite a few amenities. "Shop local" I have heard people say.

Deacon,
my young brother stays in Perth and has to come to Edinburgh to get a simple thing like a CO2 refill for his Soda Stream because there are no suppliers in Perth.
I lived near Perth from the age of 6 till 16 beacuse my Father worked on the farms down in the Carse of Gowrie.
But where did he take us kids on holiday Caithness thats where and we loved it.
I could go on and on but I willna

Golach

2little2late
07-Jun-03, 21:28
At least Edinburgh is only 45 minutes from Perth

The Angel Of Death
09-Jun-03, 12:06
Perhaps we should all chip in for a taxi to the bus station for deacon blue nice parting gift and all that ???

KitKat
09-Jun-03, 21:17
I feel so sorry for Deacon Blue! I've just had a long walk around Wick, and stopped every so often for a blether with various folk who kindly asked after a sick relative. The sun was shining, there were birds siinging in the trees, and there were loads of kids, some quite young, playing safely in the play park with no need for adult supervision. When I got home I realsied I had forgotten to lock the door when I went out, but it didn't matter because where we live the neighbours look out for one another and a stranger or someone shifty would have been quickly spotted. Tomorrow if its fine I'm going for a long walk at Reiss beach where the sand is clean and the water isn't full of sewage.

There isn't anywhere else as friendly and safe as Caithness and yes, the shops don't have all we want but even those who can't make it to Inverness will have a friendly neighbour who will get it on their next trip down, and with the Internet and catalogues you needn't be stuck. There are loads of clubs, swimming pools, sports facilities, bowling, cinema and even quality amateur drama, which incidentally, has been voted best in Britain twice.

Poor Deacon Blue, one day you will find out what is real value in life, but in the meantime, enjoy Perth and I hope it gives you all you think you want

bosco
16-Aug-06, 14:11
The reason i would move to caithness is for a slower way of live as for the further south you go the faster the way of life gets ,And life is short as it is, So employment keeps me here so if i find a job in caithness i would sell my house and move up their for a slower life:D

emszxr
16-Aug-06, 14:20
it has a great chinese, dont ask me the name of it, cant remember , but i nearly got kicked out one night, too drunk

canuck
16-Aug-06, 14:33
I know this probably isn't the right place to ask, but am moving to Perth (Scotland) does anyone have any info about the place?

I see that the original posts on this thread are over three years old. 2little2late did you ever get to Perth and if so what got you back to Wick?

It was fabulous reading the thread with its familiar org names and hearing the thoughts of those people as they were three years ago.

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 14:52
Perth - "The Fair City" - Hmph! With its Motor Mile? Double Hmph!
Ahead of Dundee though IMHO.

Max
16-Aug-06, 14:56
I really like Perth, one of my best firends has a trekking centre near Scone. I think you are quite right moving away if that is what you feel you want do. I have lived in several places, although I've stayed here for nearly 15 years. I think this is a nice place to bring up kids, but yep I could quite happily stay around the Perth area.

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 16:20
Ill tell ye what Perth has & Wick Hasnt, A choice of nightlife, Ice factory Vs Jockys Barn dance. Perth wins 10-0.
The Waterfront is a dump, no excuses, a dump . Perth will have more than one club, so Perth wins this 1

scrapydoo
16-Aug-06, 16:27
Ill tell ye what Perth has & Wick Hasnt, A choice of nightlife, Ice factory Vs Jockys Barn dance. Perth wins 10-0.
The Waterfront is a dump, no excuses, a dump . Perth will have more than one club, so Perth wins this 1

Yes i you got that right willowbankbear but the fact that the waterfront is a dump ,I bet it does'nt stop you from going from time to time.

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 16:29
Not been for year & a half, stay in the pub. What about ye ankle biter

scrapydoo
16-Aug-06, 16:37
Me are you mad :eek: , why waste £5 on that rubbish i have not been in about 2 years.

Oh and less of the ankle biter i have been known to eat bears for lunch !!!!!!!![lol]

willowbankbear
16-Aug-06, 17:25
Nah, irritate bears ye mean:roll: Why dont you go there then? I prefer Skinandis, better night out, still not as good as Perth though.

Rheghead
16-Aug-06, 18:08
Dobbies Garden World between the two roundabouts at Perth is pretty good for your garden needs and a good stop for a coffee and food if you are on the way south.

_Ju_
16-Aug-06, 18:13
. Also, the cost of living is very expensive.

Wait untill you buy a house in Perth before knocking the cost of living in Caithness.....

I have moved many times and lived in two European Capitals, various touristic mecas and a few backwaters of way and beyond. Right now I am in one of them: Wick. It has its draw backs but many, many advantages as well. No place ever ticks all the boxes and a person has to try find the one that best fits them. I can promise you Perth will not be the perfection you expect.
Besides man does not live of shopping alone. Evaluating the place you live ( and have probably lived your whole life) solely on the places you can shop..... seems very superficial (at least to me).

Herman Hesse ( I think) : "Home is neither here nor there. Home is where I hang my hat" (was it in "Portrait of an artist as a young man"?????

DrSzin
16-Aug-06, 19:09
I see that the original posts on this thread are over three years old. 2little2late did you ever get to Perth and if so what got you back to Wick?

It was fabulous reading the thread with its familiar org names and hearing the thoughts of those people as they were three years ago.Some things stay the same, whilst others change:
2little2late berated Caithness but three years down the line he lives in Wick (apparently);
Squidge waxed lyrically about Caithness but three years down the line she doesn't.And we're all still talking about flippin' shops! :lol:

FWIW I quite like Perth.

golach
16-Aug-06, 19:40
FWIW I quite like Perth.
So do I Dr, I lived in the Carse of Gowrie area from 1946 to 56

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 20:06
Errol/East Inchmichael??

golach
16-Aug-06, 21:29
Errol/East Inchmichael??
Abernyte, Pitroddie, Inchture

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 21:33
Nae sae bad. I had friends in East Inchmichael.

Yvonne
18-Aug-06, 15:25
Perth has a lovely little theatre, and there's also a lovely scenic run through to Pitlochry, which also has a theatre. En route, you pass a famous view much admired by Queen Victoria. The winters can be sharp though and snow can lie for some time, but really the scenery is hard to beat. If you do decide to move, I hope you will enjoy a good measure of contentment. :D

DrSzin
18-Aug-06, 15:38
Agreed, the Perthshire countryside is wonderful. And it's only 20-odd miles to Dundee, or an hour to Edinburgh if you want a bigger-city experience for a day.

I think I could live there quite happily - even though it's not near the sea. :(

lynne duncan
18-Aug-06, 23:03
Noah's ark indoor entertainment complex fantastic for all ages, but the indoor play area keeps my ones 8,5&3 going for hours well wroth the money. good food very reasonable prices, little pottery shop for bored mums, go-karting for older ones, outdoor big trampolines for kids and the list goes on
well worth popping into