PDA

View Full Version : Driving with Distraction

karia
15-Apr-08, 18:29
Given yesterday's News coverage about the Highway code, warning drivers of of new distractions, such as arguing with the kids whilst driving, changing CD's etc. What are your opinions of dogs travelling with unfettered access to all areas of the car and being able to distract the driver by jumping all over him/her and blocking proper access to the rear view mirror?.

I was behind a car today where the dogs had complete free run of the vehicle and made full use of it in a manner that must have affected the drivers ability to concentrate and to make proper use of his mirrors...they 'compensated' by driving at 30mph in 60mph zone.:confused

How do your dogs travel?

Sapphire2803
15-Apr-08, 18:42
How do your dogs travel?

Business class, of course ;)

Our Sam (border collie) just doesn't, he hates it. Scares the crap out of him (sometimes literally)
Zander (GSD) Loves the car, she starts off in the boot, but if for some reason the dog guard isn't up (very rare), she'll climb over into the back seat. The only time she gets in the front is if I leave her in the car while I go into a shop, then she gets in my seat and sits there looking dead pleased with herself.

The most distracting thing is when she's in the boot and I put the rear wiper on. All I can see in the rearview mirror is her head going backwards and forwards watching it!
:lol:

cuddlepop
15-Apr-08, 19:29
Behind the dog guard much to the newest additions annoyance.
Previously she was use to sitting up front with the van driver so barks at the injustice of it all.
The old dogs been known to snap at her when she gets fed up with the racket.

Who needs kids when you've got dogs.:lol:

karia
15-Apr-08, 19:33
yeah..I have to say that the last thing I would want whilst driving would be an unpredictable 'anything' moving freely about the car...even a wasp!:eek:

Riffman
15-Apr-08, 19:42
I'm not sure who would come off worse in a crash, your dog or your head that the dog went flying into....

Tilter
15-Apr-08, 22:27
Mine stays in the back doing Spaniel Nose Art masterpieces on the window. I've used side mirrors for years (from once having a van) so not a problem.

grumpyhippo
15-Apr-08, 23:13
I always put my dog in a harness that could be connected to the seat belt... did the same for the kids...... best all round, and it meant they didn't join me in the front seat if I ever had to brake suddenly.

Lolabelle
16-Apr-08, 03:45
Mine stays in the back doing Spaniel Nose Art masterpieces on the window. I've used side mirrors for years (from once having a van) so not a problem.

Just replace the "Spaniel" with "ridgeback" and that's my car, I have a mesh divider to keep them over in the back of the station wagon, and if I have them in the 4x4, they are chained into the tray of the ute. They are safe and not able to hang over the sides or fall off, but in either car I can't see through them so I use the side mirrors until they relax and lie down. ;)

Torvaig
16-Apr-08, 09:12
What I find distracting are bi-lingual signs; enough to concentrate on with todays traffic without working out in a split second what the sign is telling me.....

chaz
16-Apr-08, 09:22
Behind a dog guard, the pup has grown bigger than her mother so between kids and dogs had to get a bigger car.They always were good in the car( the dogs not the kids):lol:

binbob
16-Apr-08, 10:21
my dogs are in a cage in the boot space[minus cover].
i also use a dog seat belt for them at times.
one of our puppies from our 1st litter was sold to a family with 3 young boys.they let the dog stay loose and one day poor charlie[7 months old] jumped out of a car window ,into the path of a car ...he very sadly was kiled,
fortunately ,no person was hurt ,but it could have been so much worse.

please keep ur dogs safe in the car.

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-08, 16:13
If the roads are busy I drive but if its quiet the dogs take it in turns.;)
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/01_02_108.jpg

wifie
13-Sep-08, 16:19
What a brilliant pic Kev! :)

balto
13-Sep-08, 16:53
If the roads are busy I drive but if its quiet the dogs take it in turns.;)
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/01_02_108.jpg
what a handsome pair they make

Sandra_B
13-Sep-08, 16:54
Our dog is usually loose in the back of the van although it does make me uncomfortable to have him loose (he just lies and sleeps during car journeys). I recently found out it is illegal here to have your dog loose in the vehicle though...I guess he'll be travelling in his crate from now on.

joxville
13-Sep-08, 16:55
Our dog is usually loose in the back of the van although it does make me uncomfortable to have him loose (he just lies and sleeps during car journeys). I recently found out it is illegal here to have your dog loose in the vehicle though...I guess he'll be travelling in his crate from now on.

Would it be okay to apply the rule to children? [lol]

Sandra_B
13-Sep-08, 17:00
Would it be okay to apply the rule to children? [lol]

Making them travel in a crate?

I imagine it still wouldn't stop the "he's touching me, he's breathing on me, he's annoying me...etc" so hardly seems worth while really.

wifie
13-Sep-08, 17:05
How about - "She's looking out my window!" :confused My reply - "Well you can all stop looking out my window!" Momentary silence while they worked it out!

joxville
13-Sep-08, 17:33
How about - "She's looking out my window!" :confused My reply - "Well you can all stop looking out my window!" Momentary silence while they worked it out!

...and a glazed expression on their faces too. [lol]