PDA

View Full Version : Gravestone Safety

fingalmacool
15-Apr-08, 14:42
Up at the Thurso grave yard (why is it called a yard?) the other day, on the way out I had a gander around the old part on my way out and on the north facing wall there was a large grave stone that was on its way to falling over, this stone is leaning towards the wall and is big enough for the top part to go over the wall, I believe there is a driveway or garden over this part of the wall, do we have to wait until it falls over and does someone an injury, given the size of it, it will probably kill someone if it hits them. So who is responsible, there are probably none of this family left alive as it is very old, but even if they were, is it part of the Councils remit to keep people safe from these stones in their grounds??? No doubt they will have some loophole that says it's not up to them, or maybe we should just report it to the H.S.E.[disgust]

TBH
15-Apr-08, 14:45
Why don't you report it to the council, hse and save someone from possible injury or thir own premature place in the graveyard?

Ash
15-Apr-08, 14:47
Up at the Thurso grave yard (why is it called a yard?) the other day, on the way out I had a gander around the old part on my way out and on the north facing wall there was a large grave stone that was on its way to falling over, this stone is leaning towards the wall and is big enough for the top part to go over the wall, I believe there is a driveway or garden over this part of the wall, do we have to wait until it falls over and does someone an injury, given the size of it, it will probably kill someone if it hits them. So who is responsible, there are probably none of this family left alive as it is very old, but even if they were, is it part of the Councils remit to keep people safe from these stones in their grounds??? No doubt they will have some loophole that says it's not up to them, or maybe we should just report it to the H.S.E.[disgust]

well my dad works there, him and one other person, i will ask him about it..

MadPict
15-Apr-08, 16:29
If it is not adjoining a church/place of worship it should be called a cemetery.

You do realise the can of worms you are going to open?
Councils down here have been criticised for the laying down of headstones in cemeteries due to the risk to visitors to their properties from unsteady memorials.
Families are turning up to lay flowers on their loved ones graves only to find it a victim of official vandalism.

So before you go shouting about wobbly headstones you best think about the actions by the owners of the cemetery...

Ash
15-Apr-08, 16:36
just spoke to my dad, he told me there is nothing he can do about it, if your not happy you have to complain to the council... then something will be done

Tighsonas4
15-Apr-08, 19:22
CEMETRIES
in thrumster cemetry there is several stones fenced off and others laid flat
but there is a council notice on the gate explaining why this was done
tony

alfie
15-Apr-08, 19:27
Thurso Cemetery is so well looked after that it would be a shame to see an old headstone distroyed by neglect...surely someone from the council or other bodies (no pun intended) could prevent this from happening! I have visited other cemeteries in other parts of the country and Thurso stands way out in front and is a credit to the guys that work there.

Ash
15-Apr-08, 19:46
Thurso Cemetery is so well looked after that it would be a shame to see an old headstone distroyed by neglect...surely someone from the council or other bodies (no pun intended) could prevent this from happening! I have visited other cemeteries in other parts of the country and Thurso stands way out in front and is a credit to the guys that work there.

thanks for that i will tell my dad he works soo hard and has done for that past 30years

Mr P Cannop
15-Apr-08, 19:50

report it to fixmystreet.com

Big G
15-Apr-08, 21:32

Don't think the cemetry is a street though...:confused

I think you would be quicker calling the council yourself, no doubt you will have to fill out form after form before they send it to the council.

Mr P Cannop
15-Apr-08, 21:35

when you report it it will get sent to the Highland council