PDA

View Full Version : Women Writing The Bible

Angel
13-Apr-08, 23:31
Just popped into my head... thought I would see what other people thought!

How would the Bible read if it was written by women... how would it differ and where would we be today?

Angel

The Oracle
13-Apr-08, 23:34

How would the Bible read if it was written by women... how would it differ and where would we be today?

Angel

Probably a lot more recipes in it!

....and we would all be better cooks?

joxville
13-Apr-08, 23:36
I genuinely believe the world would be a better place if women had written the Bible. However they were too busy shopping at Ye Olde Bethlehem Tesco's for 'e Bargains.

mccaugm
13-Apr-08, 23:36

Angel

The story about Mary Magdalene would have been written with a more sympathetic angle. There would have been a female at the last supper. Women would in general have been given better "press". Religions would be less institutionally anti-women. Women priests would have been standard from day one rather than a right to be fought for. Dan Brown would never have written the book The Da Vinci code.

Great subject...really made me think...difficult when I should really be asleep by now....

joxville
13-Apr-08, 23:39
I genuinely believe the world would be a better place if women had written the Bible. However they were too busy shopping at Ye Olde Bethlehem Tesco's for 'e Bargains.

You could use your Clubcard points to get extra tomatoes for use when someone is in the stocks.:)

DeHaviLand
14-Apr-08, 00:01
The story about Mary Magdalene would have been written with a more sympathetic angle. There would have been a female at the last supper. Women would in general have been given better "press". Religions would be less institutionally anti-women. Women priests would have been standard from day one rather than a right to be fought for. Dan Brown would never have written the book The Da Vinci code.

Great subject...really made me think...difficult when I should really be asleep by now....

Of course there would. They would have needed a waitress :)

mccaugm
14-Apr-08, 00:04
Of course there would. They would have needed a waitress :)

If that wasn't so funny I would be offended. LOL!

Kevin Milkins
14-Apr-08, 00:11
It is supprising what a woman could knock up with a fish and a loaf of bread

Rie
14-Apr-08, 09:26
Now that is a very thought prevoking question!!!!
LOVE IT!

Lolabelle
14-Apr-08, 09:35
If it is inspired by God, it wouldn't make any difference. (And I believe it is). :D

canuck
14-Apr-08, 11:49
Some parts of the Bible are written by women, well the research suggests that there were women writers. It is hard to know for sure with 2000 year old manuscripts.

I'm not terribly concerned about the gender of the ancient authors. What I find interesting is the interpretation and wisdom of modern female readers.

badger
14-Apr-08, 17:40
Saw this in a local magazine earlier this year

What if the “Three Wise Men” had been Three Wise Women? They would have asked directions, arrived on time, helped deliver the baby, cleaned the stable, made a casserole and brought practical gifts!

dellwak
14-Apr-08, 21:50

Angel

There is a book about this Angel.
It is called "The Book of J" by Harold Bloom and translated from the hebrew by David Rosenberg.
It discusses the theory that the first 5 books of the old testament were written by a woman in king Davids and Solomons houshold and is meant to be a spoof on life in Solomons court.
It makes good reading, try it.

Kevin Milkins
14-Apr-08, 21:58
Some parts of the Bible are written by women, well the research suggests that there were women writers. It is hard to know for sure with 2000 year old manuscripts.

I'm not terribly concerned about the gender of the ancient authors. What I find interesting is the interpretation and wisdom of modern female readers.
If women wrote the bible ,why do they call them Manuscripts?

mccaugm
15-Apr-08, 09:29

Because a woman is obviously superior, she is a man with the addition of a womb giving her supremacy. Therefore "Womb-man".

katarina
15-Apr-08, 10:21

Ah, but according to Dan Brown a woman WAS at the last supper. Maybe fiction - but the concept makes more sense.

Kevin Milkins
15-Apr-08, 10:28
Ah, but according to Dan Brown a woman WAS at the last supper. Maybe fiction - but the concept makes more sense.

That would be handy for the washing up.:lol:

TBH
15-Apr-08, 11:06
Saw this in a local magazine earlier this year

What if the “Three Wise Men” had been Three Wise Women? They would have asked directions, arrived on time, helped deliver the baby, cleaned the stable, made a casserole and brought practical gifts!With the map the upside down they'd need to ask directions.:lol:

Manxman
15-Apr-08, 11:06
It wouldn't matter who wrote the Bible it is in the translation that problems arise Now if women had translated it.

TBH
15-Apr-08, 11:16
The God in the Old testament was a pretty evil minded murderer, maybe a women would have shown him/her in a better light if a woman had written it.:D

Flair
15-Apr-08, 12:19
With the map the upside down they'd need to ask directions.:lol:

Why would they need a map? Didn't they have a bright star to follow?

But if they still needed to ask for directions with something guiding them there then something must be seriously wrong... or maybe they just didn't go to Specsavers. ;)

TBH
15-Apr-08, 12:29
Why would they need a map? Didn't they have a bright star to follow?

But if they still needed to ask for directions with something guiding them there then something must be seriously wrong... or maybe they just didn't go to Specsavers. ;)They probably wouldn't have comprehended the significance of the star.;)

mccaugm
15-Apr-08, 17:01

Aunty Kat, Thats why I said there would have been no need for the book as it would have already happened...LOL![lol]

badger
15-Apr-08, 18:21
They probably wouldn't have comprehended the significance of the star.;)

Actually the wise men did ask for directions - from the wrong person and only because they were seriously lost.

joxville
21-Apr-08, 18:02

The bible was actually written by sportsmen. It was a tactical plan hence the name Man U scripts.

JamesMcVean
22-Apr-08, 12:07
What you read in the bible probably does not represent the TRUE words that were originally written...Constantine the ?....pope of the era... edited the book to include Hell and Satan and removed reincarnation....basically changed it to help control people and to suit the times...The miracles Jesus did were to compete with the fantastic feats of the many roman gods...

So there is every chance there was a book of mary or other female disciples....pity they never left it as it is...though I would assume that it would blow a hole in the "Son of God" theory