PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Reader update

dellwak
13-Apr-08, 18:05
I want to update my Adobe Reader.
Every time I try to download the newest version everything goes fine until the installation phase is almost finished, then a message pops up to inform me that version 7.0.9 cannot be deleted. As far as I know, the version that I have is 7.0.8, so it is no wonder it cannot delete it.
I tried downloading a complete new version from the Adobe web site, the same message popped up to tell me that the version I was trying to install (I can’t remember the version number) could not be deleted. After this message the installation ends unsuccessfully.
What is wrong here?
I have Windows XP.

Bobinovich
13-Apr-08, 22:38
I'd suggest clearing out your Temp & Temporary Internet files - this is the most likely location for the 7.0.9 version, which probably corrupted during installation or didn't install correctly. To do this click Start > All Programs > Accessorise > System Tools and click on Disk Cleanup. Choose to clean drive C (most likely) and wait for it to analyse the drive. Once done, put ticks in the Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files boxes then click OK.

After that, either download and install the latest Acrobat version, or let the Adobe updater do it's job and update you automatically. Hopefully either will go all the way through.

dellwak
14-Apr-08, 21:20
Thanks Bobinovich, I did that, didn't work though.
I still get the same message telling me that the version I am trying to install cannot be deleted and I should contact my system administrator.
I think the main problem is that I cannot delete the Reader I have even by going to System Control>Software.
I tried re-installing the version I have and just ended up with two copies of version 7.0.8 on the hard drive.
The Adobe Reader still works OK, I would just like to get the new version.

badger
15-Apr-08, 18:08
I seem to have updated to 7.0.9 Ok - forgotten I'd done it. Have you tried Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs?

dellwak
15-Apr-08, 19:42
I have tried the control panel. The Adobe Reader won't be deleted from there either. I was thinking of going into the Windows Explorer and deleting everthing to do with Adobe manually. Would that work? It seems a bit drastic though and I am afraid that I may still not be able to reinstall a new version.

blueivy
17-Apr-08, 19:59
I have tried the control panel. The Adobe Reader won't be deleted from there either. I was thinking of going into the Windows Explorer and deleting everthing to do with Adobe manually. Would that work? It seems a bit drastic though and I am afraid that I may still not be able to reinstall a new version.

You could do that but it will leave a lot of other things behind in the registry. Download the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and try and uninstall it from that. You can get it here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301).

blueivy
17-Apr-08, 20:16
You could also try this link (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400769&sliceId=1) - it says it for Adobe 8 but will likely work for 7. Click the link and go and get a coffee/tea/beer as the Adobe site is dead slow to stop.

The link also talks about editing the registry. Make a backup beforehand and be careful about what you are deleting.

dellwak
17-Apr-08, 20:49
Thanks blueivy, I will try those links and let you know how I get on.

dellwak
18-Apr-08, 19:31
The trick with the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility did it blueivy.
Thanks.
You get a big pat on the back from me for that.

Bobinovich
18-Apr-08, 21:30
WD BlueIvy - thats a handy tip to know :D