PDA

View Full Version : How old?

Dadie
13-Apr-08, 11:39
When do you think it is acceptable to let children to have a tv in their room?
A playstation or other games console?
I like the fact that i can keep an eye on what Lauren is watching in the living room and can change the channel as she is not even 2 yet but i know of children younger than her with their own tellys

tootler
13-Apr-08, 12:07
We don't let our kids have TV's in their rooms at all! I've spoken to loads of teachers who say it keeps kids up too late at night and doesn't improve the quality of their sleep - it's the most common reason for falling asleep in class!

We let them watch DVDs on the laptop in their own room if they want to, that way you know what they're watching and they can have their privacy.

percy toboggan
13-Apr-08, 12:43
If you want to dim your childs wit and stultify development of its brain whilst using the t.v. as some kind of babysitter by all means plonk one in their bedroom.

I'd do more than 'keep an eye' on what a two year old is watching...90% of the time I'd watch it with her and explain what was happening....the other ten per cent of the time would not amount to more than a maximum ten minutes daily !

However, I'd question the competence of any parent of a two, three or up to six year year old who decides to do so. These are tender ages...give them a picture book before bed-time....or read them a story...each of those words is worth a dozen ceebie-bee images.
To answer your question in the simplest of terms I'd say about seven years old with a dvd player and approved dvd's. Perhaps kitting it out to receive television programmes when they are nine or ten.

Bedrooms are primarily for sleeping in...as such require a relaxed environment for toddlers and tots.

Dadie
13-Apr-08, 12:55
If the tv is on its not on 24/7 its usually cbbs for in the night garden and the bedtime hour at 6 that we watch together then its a bath and book then bed but if there is something on during the day i want to watch we watch it together.
I only wanted to know what other peoples thoughts were on having tvs in bedrooms were incase I was old fashioned in my own views that telly is for the family room to be watched, discussed and channels/programs fought over by the family together (under parental control)

percy toboggan
13-Apr-08, 13:36
....I was old fashioned in my own views that telly is for the family room to be watched, discussed and channels/programs fought over by the family together (under parental control)

A view is a view...if it is deemed 'old fashioned' by some I wave two fingers at'em because 'old fashioned' values are often the best...not always , but often. I don't have any time for 'fashion' of any sort...least of all trendy socio-familial fashions dreampt up by numpty's with University Degrees and no kids.

Follow your own instincts Dadie and you won't go far wrong. If anyone sticks their noses in 'tell 'em to get lost.

Lady In Bed
13-Apr-08, 13:59
My kids NEVER had electrical items of any sort in their bedrooms. Want to watch tv, watch with mother. Play a game, play in sitting room!

Max
13-Apr-08, 14:15
Mine have tv's - probably the worst thing I ever did for the older one especially! Don't do it!

Julia
13-Apr-08, 14:51
My 7 year old has a tv in her bedroom with sky freeview but is only allowed the adaptor to plug it in at the weekends (Saturday morning until Sunday teatime), it's never on during the week. Saying that she does not watch that much of it and when she does it on Tiny Pops or something similar usually involving music. Her worst habit is going out to play and leaving it switched on. She's also got a karaoke machine which she used to play cds, there is also a dvd player, video and a pc in her room but never uses them.

brandy
13-Apr-08, 15:02
well i guess im a bad parent then, both of mine are watching wonder pets as i type. they also have a tv in their room. its a small one with a built in dvd player, its not connected to sky or anything, they cant watch normal tv on it.. not even connected to an arial. but there are times one or the other is upstairs playing with a dvd in, if they ask for it. sam will often want to play his vsmile and ben will want to watch bob, and they get into a scrap. how do i solve it.. simple. seperate them and let them both win. oopsspoke to soon, ben is now in my lap and sam is raiding the kitchen. now in the time its taken me to type the last sentence, ben is off to raid the kitchen. nothing is safe in this house from inquisitive minds. they get on the pc all the time. sam loves word and paint.
hes just turned 5 and i am teaching him how to read, using word, and letting him type words. we are just on 3 letter words right now of course, but as long as hes interested.
sam was really engrossed with the telly this morning. i was up really late the other night watching telly and recorder big cat diaries. i turned it on for them this morning and left them to it, as i had already watched it. sam loved it, ben not so much as he would watch a min, then play with his toys.
in my house, just because the tv is on dosent mean it gets watched.
well, now sam is running upstairs and ben has come demanding attention, so i must away and think up some thing more to keep their attention.
not easy to keep them both on the same page at the same time!

Max
13-Apr-08, 16:13
well i guess im a bad parent then, both of mine are watching wonder pets as i type. they also have a tv in their room. its a small one with a built in dvd player, its not connected to sky or anything, they cant watch normal tv on it.. not even connected to an arial. but there are times one or the other is upstairs playing with a dvd in, if they ask for it. sam will often want to play his vsmile and ben will want to watch bob, and they get into a scrap. how do i solve it.. simple. seperate them and let them both win. oopsspoke to soon, ben is now in my lap and sam is raiding the kitchen. now in the time its taken me to type the last sentence, ben is off to raid the kitchen. nothing is safe in this house from inquisitive minds. they get on the pc all the time. sam loves word and paint.
hes just turned 5 and i am teaching him how to read, using word, and letting him type words. we are just on 3 letter words right now of course, but as long as hes interested.
sam was really engrossed with the telly this morning. i was up really late the other night watching telly and recorder big cat diaries. i turned it on for them this morning and left them to it, as i had already watched it. sam loved it, ben not so much as he would watch a min, then play with his toys.
in my house, just because the tv is on dosent mean it gets watched.
well, now sam is running upstairs and ben has come demanding attention, so i must away and think up some thing more to keep their attention.
not easy to keep them both on the same page at the same time!

Yea my younger one's telly is only for videos and DVD's the 16year olds is a telly telly but no sky in our house at all. The younger one is fine it is the older one that has the telly on all the time - although as you say she doesn't necessarily watch it!

herenow
13-Apr-08, 16:23
okay i must be a terriable mum!! both mine have tvs one is 3 and the other not even 2!! only dvds they can watch, the wee one never has it on but the big one has dvds on when playing upstairs! i dont personally see any harm in it at all!:roll: my one plays the vsmile on it also think its a good thing.

jings00
13-Apr-08, 16:42
Don't have kids, but i think i would be inclined against having tellies and the likes in their room. stereo/music, fair enough though.

EDDIE
13-Apr-08, 16:54
If the tv is on its not on 24/7 its usually cbbs for in the night garden and the bedtime hour at 6 that we watch together then its a bath and book then bed but if there is something on during the day i want to watch we watch it together.
I only wanted to know what other peoples thoughts were on having tvs in bedrooms were incase I was old fashioned in my own views that telly is for the family room to be watched, discussed and channels/programs fought over by the family together (under parental control)

But i think it all depends if ure the type of person that allows your kids to watch what they want in the sitting room or are u the type that likes to control the tv.I personally would hate having to watch something i did not like and kids will have a lot less patients than me i cant see the problem in them having a tv in there room if its controlled properly.
But I do agree with u that the whole family should sit down together and watch tv and play games on a very regular basis

Sapphire2803
13-Apr-08, 17:17
I think the answer is to put one of those DVD combi tv things on a bracket on the wall, when they're allowed to watch a dvd, you put it in and give them the remote, or not, it's up to you :)

brandy
13-Apr-08, 17:22
thats what we have in their room. and they only get dvds on it when we allow it. every now and again i will take sams vsmile upstairs and turn it on for him when ben has driven him to the point of violence and he just wants to be by himself and chill on his own.

balto
13-Apr-08, 17:22
okay i must be a terriable mum!! both mine have tvs one is 3 and the other not even 2!! only dvds they can watch, the wee one never has it on but the big one has dvds on when playing upstairs! i dont personally see any harm in it at all!:roll: my one plays the vsmile on it also think its a good thing.
oh i must be the same as you and brandy, my kids have a tv in their room, plus there ps2(which they never play, they watch a litttle bit of tv before they go to bed but thats about it.

trix
13-Apr-08, 17:26
its funny, i wis choost speakin aboot tellys in beidrooms wi ma brither 'e ither day...

i da hev a telly in ma beidroom. when i wis little 'e auld cheil wid go off 'e heid if i feel asleep wi'ed on :eek:

many a nicht i got woken wi ma dads hands roond ma throat, ragin cos id forgotten til turn'ed off. roarin aboot 'e planet an 'e environment....

even now, im too scared til put a telly in ma room, choost incase i forget til turn'ed off - an so is ma little brither...who is a manie now....[lol]

chaz
13-Apr-08, 19:13
Only two of mine have a tv in thier room, my 13 year old autistic son as he plays his ps2 on it,but hasnt used it for weeks.And my 3 year old still has a tv and dvd player as she was quite ill so we put a tv in her room when she was in bed for a few days. But she has a bedtime story now shes better so it isnt used either.There is no sky in this house either, mine are usually outside or doing something constructive.
In general at weekends if the tv is on we all watch it together or play board games.

Rie
13-Apr-08, 19:52
my son and daughter have a tv in there rooms ages 10 and 7 and they only just got them,
the plastation2 is used downstairs so ican monitor time played on it!

Angel
13-Apr-08, 23:23
When they understand what addiction is...

Angel

mums angels
13-Apr-08, 23:38
My two were 4 and 7 when they got DVD combis in thier bedrooms but have no access to normal tele just DVD's which are only for weekend bed time viewing . My son now has an xbox in his room but again its use is monitored by myself or my husband. My 3rd child is 2 and half and i wouldn't let him have a DVD combi in his room until hes 4 or 5.

Tilter
14-Apr-08, 02:40
No TV's - ever - IMHO. What's wrong with books?

Sandra_B
14-Apr-08, 07:09
My boys are 6 and 8 and both have TV/DVD players in their rooms. They also have plenty of books.

Lolabelle
14-Apr-08, 09:47
I don't like TV's in the bedroom at all. I know that it would be on all night, and I would not sleep properly. I have friends whose kids have telly's in their bedrooms and they are always tired and they never seem to notice what kind of show the kids are watching.

twiglet
14-Apr-08, 09:48
I've told mine she can have a tv in her room when she's passed her gcse's(if that's what they're still called by the time she does exams). She has a DS but even that stays downstairs when she goes to bed. I would rather she read a good book, which she is now starting to do. She often moans that her friends at school have xboxs, tvs, dvd players in their rooms and why can't she etc etc. She has a cd player and that's it. Firmly believe that bedrooms are for sleeping in although I do have a tv in mine,lol

trix
14-Apr-08, 16:52

its funny yer sayin 'at tilters...

when i wis little i wis ayie groonded - for bein cheeky...!

one day 'e auld cheil says, 'yer groonded'

i says, 'am no worried, il choost watch 'e telly' - he took 'e telly oot ma room...!

i says, 'am no worried, il choost read ma books' :Razz

weel, what could he say? he couldna take ma books awie....cos at would be vergin on child abuse...lock awie 'e key how do ye no....:eek:

anyway, im gled he did cos now am a beeg bookworm an i ca really be bothered wi 'e telly...

percy toboggan
14-Apr-08, 17:05
Mine have tv's - probably the worst thing I ever did for the older one especially! Don't do it!
..take it off him.

trix
14-Apr-08, 17:14
..take it off him.

aye, put him til stay wi ma auld cheil for a whilie :lol:

sayin at, he's all mellow an cool now - an one o' ma best friends ;)

Dadie
14-Apr-08, 17:37
ermm we dont have a telly in our bedroom either books yes radio yes (well its an alarm clock) telly well its in the living room and there is another in the kitchen/family room if we want to watch different things

mums angels
14-Apr-08, 22:03

Nothing wrong with books at all ,My eldest has a wide range of books and has read many a classic childrens book that some of the kids in her class hasn't even heard off , she gets to read in bed for a bit every night on school nights and has DVD on weekend if wanted..everything is fine in moderation IMHO

I don't like TV's in the bedroom at all. I know that it would be on all night, and I would not sleep properly. I have friends whose kids have telly's in their bedrooms and they are always tired and they never seem to notice what kind of show the kids are watching.

In cases of children watching tv all night and being tired all day is the fault of the parents not caring enough to restrict the use if the Tv's etc not the children or the Tv's

Ash
15-Apr-08, 08:18
my child has tv/dvd in her room, not connected to the aerial, all she can watch dvds, which u does maybe on a saturday morning, or if she has a friend round, she never gets to watch it at night times, lots of people do this to help there kids fall asleep, and ive never let her....

tisme
15-Apr-08, 12:22
My daughter got her tv when she was about 10 (she is 19 now). I didn't see the need for it before then to be honest. If she wasn't sitting with us she was playing or reading, no need for a tv at all. My sister in law used the TV as a babysitter for her kids. I kid you not her oldest used to speak in an american accent when she was about 4.........Your kid your call

Snarfer
15-Apr-08, 12:39
My son is four and has a TV/DVD in his room but the plug is on a timer so can't watch it after 8:30 although I'm sure he'll suss out how to get by this. He doesn't really watch the tele though just loves going though all the menus. It's helped his reading and understanding the time.