PDA

View Full Version : I do not believe it!

badger
12-Apr-08, 19:28
If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. Waiting for the nice man in charge of the Janetstown recycling centre to fetch me something, elderly man arrives in car by the cardboard bit which states quite clearly only empty boxes flattened. He unloads box after box, some of which I could see filled with crumpled newspaper, into the bin - none of them flattened of course. I said something about empty boxes and flattening them, pointing to the notice but he ignored me. After he had gone I saw he had just put all his recycling in these boxes - paper, cans, flowers. The attendant came back too late and had to pull them all out and empty them.

How lazy can you get? He wasn't too old to do the job properly, just couldn't be bothered. I felt so angry and sorry for the attendant, who was so polite and helpful, having to clear up after him.

Tilter
12-Apr-08, 19:32
Good and bad everywhere Badger I guess, even with recyclers. Maybe it wouldn't all go in his wheelie bin or the rubbish men had refused to pick it up (they can be quite choosy) and he just wanted to dump all his stuff and had no more idea about saving the planet than my left foot.

balto
12-Apr-08, 20:21
If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. Waiting for the nice man in charge of the Janetstown recycling centre to fetch me something, elderly man arrives in car by the cardboard bit which states quite clearly only empty boxes flattened. He unloads box after box, some of which I could see filled with crumpled newspaper, into the bin - none of them flattened of course. I said something about empty boxes and flattening them, pointing to the notice but he ignored me. After he had gone I saw he had just put all his recycling in these boxes - paper, cans, flowers. The attendant came back too late and had to pull them all out and empty them.

How lazy can you get? He wasn't too old to do the job properly, just couldn't be bothered. I felt so angry and sorry for the attendant, who was so polite and helpful, having to clear up after him.and they have the check to complain about young people, sometimes the elderly people are worse

dellwak
12-Apr-08, 21:01
We used to get a lot of this here in Germany when they first started with the recycling centres.
What a lot of these people didn't realise was that a lot of their rubbish had their name and address on.
After a few people received hefty fines for dumping, it tended to stop.

Bobinovich
13-Apr-08, 22:56
Although I take my cardboard boxes etc. up, I was told that they don't need to be flattened as the compactor does the job anyway.

I always take a lot of small cardboard boxes (cereal packets, etc.) and it's much easier if they're boxed within bigger boxes. They're less likely to blow away when carrying them from the car to the hopper as the wind can be quite strong up there.

However, leaving all the non-cardboard stuff inside the boxes is just ignorant [disgust]

ashaw1
13-Apr-08, 23:35

How lazy can you get? He wasn't too old to do the job properly, just couldn't be bothered. I felt so angry and sorry for the attendant, who was so polite and helpful, having to clear up after him.
Exactly the same thing happened up at Wick last weekend when i was there. The poor attendant had to jump in and pull everything out again. He wasn't pleased and i don't blame him!

joxville
13-Apr-08, 23:50
We used to get a lot of this here in Germany when they first started with the recycling centres.
What a lot of these people didn't realise was that a lot of their rubbish had their name and address on.
After a few people received hefty fines for dumping, it tended to stop.

This too happened to a friend of mine in Glasgow. She fly-tipped but there was a few letters with her address on them in the bags so it was easy
for the council to trace her. She got three-figure fine :-), served her right, she is a selfish person. I think they should make the fines at least £1000, regardless of your personal circumstances.

ywindythesecond
14-Apr-08, 08:10
Interesting thread.
I agree that fly tippers should be fined. But the chap Badger complained about went to the trouble of going to the recycling centre with his rubbish so at least his intentions were good. The joiner who did my house was a first-class tradesman until it came to something with written instructions, when he fell down completely. Eventually it dawned on me that he could not read.
Perhaps it was something similar with the well-intentioned man at Janetstown.
Unless of course he was only doing what his wife told him to, with bad grace.
ywy2

sweetpea
14-Apr-08, 09:36
I wonder if I went up and asked would they give me some cardboard boxes for moving. What a job I'm having finding boxes anywhere.