PDA

View Full Version : Station signs (Railway)

percy toboggan
11-Apr-08, 17:51
Just wondering there may be one or two up there interested to know that the old signs for Wick & Thurso railway stations....gert big things really, I'd guess about 1960' s vintage...have ended up on the outer fence of a garden centre in Stockport.:confused
They look good, but I'm slightly saddened to think they'd look better in situ...and improve upon the more modern ones you probably have now.

MadPict
11-Apr-08, 18:41
Hmmm, I wonder how they got down there....

percy toboggan
11-Apr-08, 18:58
I'd guess they were bought at some kind of memorabilia sale.
Railway artefacts are quite sought after...the garden centre does have a miniature train and it is quite railway themed. At least those fine signs that would have confirmed journeys end to tens of thousands of folk have not been mangled.

Tighsonas4
11-Apr-08, 20:29
RAILWAYS
talking of trains i wonder if anyone can still remember the stations and halts
for the lybster railway.or is it history [lol]not one for the quiz room anyway [lol]
regards tony

Errogie
11-Apr-08, 22:39
It must have been about 35 years ago my brother gave me an old wooden sign bearing the legend "No Water at Wick" which I think must have come from the Lybster railway. I actually dark stained it and used as the sign for the end of my road and stuck different letters onto it. A few years later when the stain faded (I think it was creosote) No Water at Wick reappeared quite clearly. I removed my stuck on letters and then gave it to a railway buff in Inverness who had a Caithness connection. I think it is among his treasured posessions!

dessie
11-Apr-08, 23:44
any old railway sign is worth a fortune nowa days just wish i had some....

horse
12-Apr-08, 00:17
It must have been about 35 years ago my brother gave me an old wooden sign bearing the legend "No Water at Wick" which I think must have come from the Lybster railway. I actually dark stained it and used as the sign for the end of my road and stuck different letters onto it. A few years later when the stain faded (I think it was creosote) No Water at Wick reappeared quite clearly. I removed my stuck on letters and then gave it to a railway buff in Inverness who had a Caithness connection. I think it is among his treasured posessions!
His enitials? AB. JUst a bit nosey could be wrong though. if i am right he is very enthusiastic and worthy.

Errogie
13-Apr-08, 11:47
No, the initials are C.C. but I'll ask him for an update on the sign and anything else he may have on the old Lybster railway.