PDA

View Full Version : woah, that was low!

Tugmistress
16-Nov-05, 22:12
anyone just see the plane that seemed to circle holborn head?
it went round the back of us, over scrabster loch, then seemed to head off out into the bay over the edge of the holborn head/scrabster harbour.
sounded like a prop plane wish i was quicker with the camera :(

MJB
16-Nov-05, 22:16
Just heard it from the Pennyland area of Thurso.
It's the helicopter thats been going back and forth lately that I'm interested in, anyone know where it's going just out of curiosity.
It seems to take a while to fly past.

pedromcgrory
16-Nov-05, 22:16
yes i seen it i thought it was a helicopter ,not sure though

Sianymo
16-Nov-05, 22:17
Didn't sound like a chopper......?

pedromcgrory
16-Nov-05, 22:21
red light flashing i seen going over the bay and watched it go out off sight sure it was a helicopter

kas
16-Nov-05, 22:27
We think it was a hercules. Watched it over the bay with the binos, defenitly a large prop. plane.

MJB
16-Nov-05, 22:30
We think it was a hercules. Watched it over the bay with the binos, defenitly a large prop. plane.
Someone told me that he has seen a Hercules fly over frequently.

Tugmistress
16-Nov-05, 22:34
yeah, was deinately a plane and a prop one not a jet. got a smashing view of it full side on and could vaguely see an outline in the moonlight :D

the red helicopter are you on about? if so i beleive it is something to do with rigs but don't hold me to that! i have seen it go over towards the west and come back from that way too. (possibly subsea7?)

Ang
16-Nov-05, 22:46
Was without a doubt a plane - not sure about Hercules though - full side on view didn't suggest military colours.
Didn't do my heart or the kids any good though.
Surprised it didn't hit the rooftops in Pennyland Drive as it passed back........
Would love to know what it was up to.........

kas
16-Nov-05, 23:02
Certainly had the large tail fin of a Herc, only thing was we couldnt count the number of props. to confirm.
Unfortunatley we couldnt get a good veiw of the colour. But they do come in different colours depending on their operational duties.

Geo
17-Nov-05, 01:11
One went over our house (near Wick) really low a couple of hours ago. Had the bedroom window open and what a noise it made. Sounded like a transport plane/Hercules or other big prop plane.

north_skye
17-Nov-05, 11:38
The Red helicopters seen regularily over the county are servicing the oil work west of shetland. They are bristow choppers based out of aberdeen. They have a pretty usual flight path over sinclair bay uptowards thurso then onwards to the west of shetland , there are usually 4 flights a day. Although i have seen more in a day while outside working. Infact one flew over last night at about 10pm making towards aberdeen direction.

Tugmistress
17-Nov-05, 19:32
Quite possibly Phill, but i guess it got lost and did a full circle (or it seemed to) as it came from behind the house, round one side of it and back out to sea in front of us lol

Tugmistress
17-Nov-05, 21:49
No, just the RAF doing some sightseeing whilst on a jolly!

This was the plane departing Wick:
http://tinyurl.com/aoz7u

north_skye, the red choppers belong to Bond Offshore Helicopters also based at Aberdeen. Bristow machines are red white and blue, mainly white and blue.
http://tinyurl.com/8hkyb
HTH

Phill

Well if that is 'the' plane, you, or someone, took that piccy in daylight and it went over here about 5 minutes before i posted last night, so it must have taken four hours ish to get from wick to here :confused: that's some sightseeing jolly! lol

sorry, i know that sounds like i am arguing with you, i am not let me asure you :) just a flipping long time for a plane to travel 20 odd miles ;)

Tugmistress
17-Nov-05, 23:01
lol, sorry phil, i believe if you scroll down as you reply to someone, it gives you actual times..... yes it does, i posted at 9.12pm last night :)

margesimpson
17-Nov-05, 23:15
It was someone who lived in Thurso doing a flyby on his family up here.
Nothing more than that.

Fran
18-Nov-05, 01:03
the american air force are on an exercise and are doing circle practices mostly over wick airport. the red helicopters often refuel at wick enroute to the oil rigs. the yellow ambulance "budgie2 landed in wick airport twice this afternoon.

porshiepoo
18-Nov-05, 17:33
Well the sky was full of em this afternoon.
There were white fumy patterny things everywhere, squiggling all over the place like they were playing tag. And then a great big hercules looking plane appeared, extremely low.

lassieinfife
18-Nov-05, 21:54
I used to work in Pitlochry and the jets used to just skim over the top of the dam the noise was awful to start with.......... You could tell who was a visitor or a local by who was cringing, the locals and the seasonal workers never even noticed them :p

Oh and a herc is as noisey on the inside as on the outside ...........

Herc Mate
18-Nov-05, 22:16
The tailnumber, XV 217, you can see in the previously posted pictures is in fact the same aircraft which flew over Caithness again later in the day. There are currently 3 crews from 47 and LXX Sqns, RAF Lyneham deployed for a major exercise in Fife. Both these Sqns fly the C-130 Hercules K Model.
The crews do not often get the opportunity to train in the Scottish Mountains, some of the most challenging and demanding terrain in the UK. As there are a lot of Scottish crew members they enjoy the opportunity to utilise the low flying system to its full.
The aircraft which flew an approach to overshoot into Wick at 2100 then proceeded towards Thurso via Halkirk was flown in accordance with all the rules governing low flying in the UK.
In response to the heights being suggested, the aircraft never flew below 250agl at any point during the flight. Sometimes this may appear lower to onlookers on the ground due to the size of the aircraft. The second sortie was a night training sortie utilising night vision goggles. The crew had near perfect vision due to the high moon phase - albeit green!:eek:
Thurso doesn't look too different from the air!

porshiepoo
18-Nov-05, 22:30
I used to live at RAF Lyneham! Useless piece of info but seeing as it's christmas I thought I'd be in the giving nature and share that with you! :D
I love the sound of the planes, always have!

dragonfly
18-Nov-05, 23:17
Well the sky was full of em this afternoon.
There were white fumy patterny things everywhere, squiggling all over the place like they were playing tag. And then a great big hercules looking plane appeared, extremely low.

yeah, I saw them this afternoon too, in Thurso, thought they were practicing sky writing:rolleyes:

Rheghead
19-Nov-05, 01:00
Yes, they were writing 777 ! The number of the pilot...:D

http://members.aol.com/rheghead/777.jpg

crayola
19-Nov-05, 02:23
the american air force are on an exercise and are doing circle practices mostly over wick airport. the red helicopters often refuel at wick enroute to the oil rigs. the yellow ambulance "budgie2 landed in wick airport twice this afternoon.
Do none of you guys have an ear to the ground of the Caithness rumour mill? Everyone knows this is a dress rehearsal for the US invasion of fred. He has dared to express anti-American views on this forum and is about to pay the ultimate price. You may have thought Syria was next on GW's list, but he has more threatening voices to deal with first. You thought there wouldn't be room for US tanks to pass each other on fred's drive, but you'd be dead wrong there. Just you wait and see. Why dya think he's gone so quiet lately?

Don't ya just love the smell of white phosphorous in the morning?

Tugmistress
19-Nov-05, 13:40
The tailnumber, XV 217, you can see in the previously posted pictures is in fact the same aircraft which flew over Caithness again later in the day. There are currently 3 crews from 47 and LXX Sqns, RAF Lyneham deployed for a major exercise in Fife. Both these Sqns fly the C-130 Hercules K Model.
The crews do not often get the opportunity to train in the Scottish Mountains, some of the most challenging and demanding terrain in the UK. As there are a lot of Scottish crew members they enjoy the opportunity to utilise the low flying system to its full.
The aircraft which flew an approach to overshoot into Wick at 2100 then proceeded towards Thurso via Halkirk was flown in accordance with all the rules governing low flying in the UK.
In response to the heights being suggested, the aircraft never flew below 250agl at any point during the flight. Sometimes this may appear lower to onlookers on the ground due to the size of the aircraft. The second sortie was a night training sortie utilising night vision goggles. The crew had near perfect vision due to the high moon phase - albeit green!:eek:
Thurso doesn't look too different from the air!

Thank you for the info Herc Mate, would have loved to have got a pic of the plane that went over about 9.10 the other night but as i say i was too slow ;) (ok too nosey as to what it was too ;) )
I assume with your knowledge of the above and your nick you have something to do with this bunch?... if so i don't suppose any of them took aerial pics of the place did they?

Rheghead
19-Nov-05, 14:11
Do none of you guys have an ear to the ground of the Caithness rumour mill? Everyone knows this is a dress rehearsal for the US invasion of fred. He has dared to express anti-American views on this forum and is about to pay the ultimate price. You may have thought Syria was next on GW's list, but he has more threatening voices to deal with first. You thought there wouldn't be room for US tanks to pass each other on fred's drive, but you'd be dead wrong there. Just you wait and see. Why dya think he's gone so quiet lately?

Don't ya just love the smell of white phosphorous in the morning?

I have heard that brandy is an operative behind enemy lines giving vital info on the ground. LOL!!

Herc Mate
19-Nov-05, 17:19
Thank you for the info Herc Mate, would have loved to have got a pic of the plane that went over about 9.10 the other night but as i say i was too slow ;) (ok too nosey as to what it was too ;) )
I assume with your knowledge of the above and your nick you have something to do with this bunch?... if so i don't suppose any of them took aerial pics of the place did they?

Tugmistress, sorry none of the crew had a camera with them. We wouldn't get any good shots anyway as we cannot use flash when using NVGs. :eek: However the ex is going on for another week, so if you keep your eyes and ears open, you just never know!! ;) It must make a change for the town to hear a Herc at low level instead of the normal noise of the Tornados flying over. We are up there relatively often because Wick is taking a small role in the Ex. If the cameraman is still around next week he may even get a picture of a different aircraft coming through!

Herc Mate
19-Nov-05, 22:19
We were expecting the Herc on wednesday but it was thursday when it came through.
Phill

Phil,

The Herc landed on at Wick for a short time on Wed 16 during daylight then came back through at 2100 on the same day. Unsure if it came back Thursday during the day but definitely did not that night as it was training in the high ground of Wales, the Lakes then the lower Highlands of Scotland and West coast. :cool:
If I am able to make it to a PC next week I will try to keep you posted, however it is almost inevitable that it will be back up north at some stage, probably later in the week. ;)

BTW: Some Great Pics there Phil, keep up the good work!

perdomcgrory
19-Nov-05, 23:10
Phil,

The Herc landed on at Wick for a short time on Wed 16 during daylight then came back through at 2100 on the same day. Unsure if it came back Thursday during the day but definitely did not that night as it was training in the high ground of Wales, the Lakes then the lower Highlands of Scotland and West coast. :cool:
If I am able to make it to a PC next week I will try to keep you posted, however it is almost inevitable that it will be back up north at some stage, probably later in the week. ;)

BTW: Some Great Pics there Phil, keep up the good work!aye it will be hard for ye to make it to a pc ,what wi ye hingin aboot e airport wi yer anarak on and yer flask o soup