PDA

View Full Version : Avatars - what's the craic?

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-05, 22:08
I'm a bit of techo-phobe, so can anyone tell me how to upload an avatar. When I click on the tab it says it's not possible for me? How so? Do we have to wait until we've reached 1000 posts or something?

MJB
16-Nov-05, 22:10
Just noticed Rheghed has an avatar, hm I'll try and figure it out.
the problem might be that you need to host your pic, try photobucket.com
I don't get it, I'm at the avatar page and I can't find anyway to select and avatar I want to use.
Normally theres something that you click that will open up your documents but nothing like that, I'v tried dragging from my documents to the box but nothing.....I'v got to be missing something....

Moira
16-Nov-05, 22:54
See Niall's post (no 38) here :-
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4255&page=2

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-05, 22:58
"Trusted users" That really takes the biscuit. So what - if we all say really nice things and act like trained seals we'll get our fish that is an avatar. Come on, mods, you're having a laugh... aren't you?

golach
16-Nov-05, 23:16
"Trusted users" That really takes the biscuit. So what - if we all say really nice things and act like trained seals we'll get our fish that is an avatar. Come on, mods, you're having a laugh... aren't you?

Pepsi dinna throw your toys oot o the pram, maybe someone will recommend you to be a Trusted User LOL :rolleyes:

Rheghead
16-Nov-05, 23:16

I always thought that you were a 'trusted user'.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-05, 23:30
I'd be surprised if I was, but it's beside the point. I don't agree with those rules. Every other messageboard in the world allows you an avatar without having to scrape enough brownie points. It just makes you feel you're being treated like a child. Just a gripe, forget it.

Niall Fernie
17-Nov-05, 10:07
Gather your toys pepsi, I am now rolling out avatars etc to everyone who has over a certain number of posts and has been registered for a long enough time.

I am having to monitor the bandwidth very carefully at the moment and the new board still needs a lot of tweaking so "promotions" will be done in sweeps to see how things go.

The first group of users that will be moved into the trusted user group have been registered for more than 9 months and have over 150 posts. (as soon as I work out how ) The bar will be lowered on each sweep until pretty much everyone will have use of most of the features of the forum.

golach
17-Nov-05, 20:17
I'd be surprised if I was, but it's beside the point. I don't agree with those rules. Every other messageboard in the world allows you an avatar without having to scrape enough brownie points. It just makes you feel you're being treated like a child. Just a gripe, forget it.

Your toys back in the pram again Pepsi? I see you have been selected for membership to the exclusive "Trusties" club, well welcome to the club!!![smirk]

lassieinfife
17-Nov-05, 21:53
Sighs........... I dont meet the stipulations (just by a wee bit on each point, mind) seems I will have to wait after all.......... boo hoo!!:(:(

Blast!
17-Nov-05, 22:44
That's a bloody disgrace, having to be a 'trusted' member to upload an Avatar, it's nothing short of ridiculous really. This must (as Pepsi said) be the only on the web that has such rules......yet they don't even know how to set it up. It's only an avatar, but still.....it's like the web form of a human right! :p

Everyone should be allowed an avatar, i;ve been visiting this site for year but unfortunately it doesn't allow hotmail.com e-mail addresses so couldn't sign up, what's up with that anyway?

I'm using my uni e-mail address (reluctantly, as it's for uni purposes!) so finally i'm a member!

unicorn
17-Nov-05, 22:48
i have been a member for 2 years and only just made 100 posts.... oh well another year until I can have an avatar

lassieinfife
17-Nov-05, 23:06
Come on guy's its not a world issue that we cant all have avatars straight away.......... Niall is doing a splendid job, just remember its him ( others?) doing all the work just so that we can visit this site ........... remember nobody forces anyone to use it,so take a chill pill you will get yer wee avatar in the end:rolleyes:

abalone
17-Nov-05, 23:14
could someone please tell what an avatar ishttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon5.gif

pie2000
17-Nov-05, 23:14
Can anyone please tell me what the fuss is about, so some of
us dont get avatars big deal!!!! Whats the big point about
them anyway?

hereboy
17-Nov-05, 23:18
could someone please tell what an avatar ishttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon5.gif

an avatar is an image that folk use on web forums or online gaming to represent themsleves - Dr Szin has one - its from Sanskrit and is originally a word meaning a representation of something - eg. Bhudda who is an avatar of Vrishna...

Naefearjustbeer
17-Nov-05, 23:24

the little picture on my post is my avatar

Niall Fernie
18-Nov-05, 12:18
Another sweep on the way, 100 posts and 6 months. Should take in a good number of our regulars, will monitor this and do another sweep in a few days.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Nov-05, 12:47
Aye, am happy now. Still don't agree with the wait/amount of posts, but hey when I rule the world you'll all be put up agai...

lassieinfife
18-Nov-05, 15:31
See told ya Niall would sort things and you get to have an avatar soon...... ;)

now i just gotta figure out how i insert mine heheheheh :confused:

lassieinfife
18-Nov-05, 15:32
oooooooo it went on its self hahahahaha:o

lassieinfife
18-Nov-05, 15:36
nice smile pepsi:D

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Nov-05, 15:48
Call me Colgarte ;-)