PDA

View Full Version : Rail Travel

jimag
10-Apr-08, 18:59
Does anyone know how much discount you get off train fares using your Scottish Executive bus pass issued by Highland Council to the over 60's.

Do you have to buy your ticket before you travel or can you get the discount on the train.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

bekisman
10-Apr-08, 20:35
I was looking for details on this myself, but difficult to get hard and fast info, the National Entitlement Card (Scotland)
this was on the www.firstgroup.com (http://www.firstgroup.com) site;
If you are resident in Scotland, you may be eligible for reduced rate rail travel within your local authority area. Your local authority will advise you of what you may be entitled to and how to apply for your National Entitlement Card.

Local authorities that currently have concessionary rail schemes are:

Angus
Fife
West Lothian
East Lothian
Edinburgh City
Highland
Falkirk
Strathclyde

Tilter
11-Apr-08, 19:08
Hi,
You get 50% off with a bus pass in areas covered by a Highland Rail Card. I know the Highland Rail Card covers as far as Nairn. If you go outwith Highland, it's not worth using as you get cheaper fares through Apec or whatever.

rfr10
11-Apr-08, 19:42
Rail Cards Info:

If you are a young person in full time education, you can pay £24 for a National Rail Card and be entitled to 1/3 of rail fares for a year. Also, if you hold the National Entitlement Card which is a card issued by Young Scot to young people for various discounts, you are entitled to a free rail card also offering 1/3 of rail travel.

You can also purchase a family rail card for the same price of £24 and this entitles you to 1/3 of rail travel but under 16s are entitled to a 60% reduction in fares.

Finally, you can purchase a senior rail card for people over 60, once again for the price of £24 and be entitled to 1/3 of rail travel for a year.