PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Does Have The Mart

bekisman
10-Apr-08, 14:19
Hi Folks I've been sitting on this for a while since 27th March/4th April but just had this email in from Douglas Wilson Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland (Tesco)

Dear [Bekisman] "We are issuing a press release today [10th April] so please feel free to post this info on your website."

"to confirm our conversation, we have purchased the Auction Mart site in Thurso.. we are actively pursuing a development on the site and hope to be in a position to discuss this further with local councillors and the wider Thurso community in the near future" regards Doug

Douglas Wilson
Corporate Affairs Manager
Scotland and Northern Ireland

(I asked if this was confidential and he came back with the proviso; "I would appreciate a degree of confidentially for perhaps the next few weeks"..)
Bit of history to show that these big conglomerates are approachable.. I emailed Sir Terry Leahy at Tesco on 27th March and asked if they had purchased the site and were they going to sit on it? (which not a few on the Org thought!) at 16.47 I got a reply from Anna Margot the Chief Executive's Office who said she had forwarded my email onto Nick Gellatly; Corporate Affairs Manager for the Thurso area.

On the 4th April at 11.21 had a phone call from Douglas Wilson, Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland and he told me that yes, they have purchased the Mart site in Thurso, and no, they will not just 'sit' on it, and are building a 30,000 square foot store plus fuel outlet. They are not sure at the moment what to do with the smaller Tesco/Somerfield store but will probably be sublet..
He asked if I would like him to send me a confirmation email I said yes and at 11.55 on the 4th April he sent the one above..

So there you are Tesco has the mart; fact

dandod
10-Apr-08, 14:35
:confusedbut surely that would take the business away from the wick one so they will probably be making the same amount of money as before.

fingalmacool
10-Apr-08, 15:29
Resistance is futile you will be assimilated,,, Does the Highland Council have no cahoona's at all, it seems that maybe the two are the same, or maybe it should be known as Tesco Council or Tesco Highland. I am going to stick my scranny neck out and say the people of Thurso do not want another Tesco we want an ASDAAAAAAAAAAAAH, IS THAT LOUD ENOUGH.

I feel much better now,,,,i thank you

riggerboy
10-Apr-08, 15:33
Resistance is futile you will be assimilated,,, Does the Highland Council have no cahoona's at all, it seems that maybe the two are the same, or maybe it should be known as Tesco Council or Tesco Highland. I am going to stick my scranny neck out and say the people of Thurso do not want another Tesco we want an ASDAAAAAAAAAAAAH, IS THAT LOUD ENOUGH.

I feel much better now,,,,i thank you

yer no getting it ASDA will not be in thurso lol

Cattach
10-Apr-08, 15:34
Hi Folks I've been sitting on this for a while since 27th March/4th April but just had this email in from Douglas Wilson Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland (Tesco)

Dear [Bekisman] "We are issuing a press release today [10th April] so please feel free to post this info on your website."

"to confirm our conversation, we have purchased the Auction Mart site in Thurso.. we are actively pursuing a development on the site and hope to be in a position to discuss this further with local councillors and the wider Thurso community in the near future" regards Doug

Douglas Wilson

Corporate Affairs Manager
Scotland and Northern Ireland

(I asked if this was confidential and he came back with the proviso; "I would appreciate a degree of confidentially for perhaps the next few weeks"..)
Bit of history to show that these big conglomerates are approachable.. I emailed Sir Terry Leahy at Tesco on 27th March and asked if they had purchased the site and were they going to sit on it? (which not a few on the Org thought!) at 16.47 I got a reply from Anna Margot the Chief Executive's Office who said she had forwarded my email onto Nick Gellatly; Corporate Affairs Manager for the Thurso area.

On the 4th April at 11.21 had a phone call from Douglas Wilson, Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland and he told me that yes, they have purchased the Mart site in Thurso, and no, they will not just 'sit' on it, and are building a 30,000 square foot store plus fuel outlet. They are not sure at the moment what to do with the smaller Tesco/Somerfield store but will probably be sublet..
He asked if I would like him to send me a confirmation email I said yes and at 11.55 on the 4th April he sent the one above..

So there you are Tesco has the mart; fact

'30,000 square foot store' you say -
Seems like a big area for selling Feet!!

fingalmacool
10-Apr-08, 15:40
yer no getting it ASDA will not be in thurso lol

Reason for please, or are you blowing smoke up me kyber

BIG A
10-Apr-08, 15:59
The press release is now out and Tesco do have the Mart Site and hope to Build a 31000 Sq FT Supermarket and Petrol Station on the site.
Thet have concluded missives with Miller Developments .
Douglas Wilson Of Tesco Stated "This Accquisition gives us the opportunity to improve the Tesco Offer to our existing customers in Thurso."

riggerboy
10-Apr-08, 16:08
Reason for please, or are you blowing smoke up me kyber

just blowing smoke,
however i dont think adsa will be anytime soon, nor do i think tesco will open in thurso, as you put it they are just blowing smoke, tesco have do this to asda for years, they own a lot of land with outline planning permission but never seem to build,

COACHMAN
10-Apr-08, 17:50
Hopefully Cheaper Petrol if they have a filling station:D

zappster
10-Apr-08, 18:24
Let Tescos take over the council...at least we might get cheaper council tax !!
:D

blackcat
10-Apr-08, 20:23
Let Tescos take over the council...at least we might get cheaper council tax !!
:D

Maybe TESCO could build a new school on the site!:Razz

gollach
10-Apr-08, 21:50

Or at least build a pavement on the mart side of Ormlie Road.

mccaugm
10-Apr-08, 22:34
OK cards on the table I shop in Tesco but I DO NOT AGREE with Tesco buying the site. What the hell do they need it for? They already have the monopoly in Wick and Thurso. I would have liked ASDA for a bit of competition. Thurso needs a small Enterprise Park with some national shops...not another Tesco.[evil]

Moira
10-Apr-08, 23:17

Primary or Secondary blackcat?

Maybe they will - then again maybe they won't. If they do, given their alleged stranglehold over our dairy farmers, will they provide free milk for all pupils? Maybe not.

Only time, Tesco and bekisman will tell.........

Bobinovich
10-Apr-08, 23:28
Reported this a while back (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=365265&postcount=33) and I'm still sceptical that Tesco will do anything with this site. I reckon that Asda is dead in the water though - they didn't get the site they wanted and either Tesco nipped in there for the mart site or Asda simply weren't interested in it.

Damned shame :(

riggerboy
11-Apr-08, 08:34
Reported this a while back (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=365265&postcount=33) and I'm still sceptical that Tesco will do anything with this site. I reckon that Asda is dead in the water though - they didn't get the site they wanted and either Tesco nipped in there for the mart site or Asda simply weren't interested in it.

Damned shame :(

thats what i think is going on and have also said it for a while, pity but thats the tesco monster, as for cheaper fuel yes a whole 0.1 of a penny per ltr, thats about a 1/2p on a gallon saving of about 6p on a tank full

Cattach
11-Apr-08, 08:41
thats what i think is going on and have also said it for a while, pity but thats the tesco monster, as for cheaper fuel yes a whole 0.1 of a penny per ltr, thats about a 1/2p on a gallon saving of about 6p on a tank full

Where do you buy your petrol? Fuel is 5p a litre cheaper in Wick than in Thurso.

I can travel to Wick from Thurso and fill a full tank, shop in the new stores in ick and still be quids in rather than buying fuel in Thurso. And I get a change of coffee shop or a super lunch at Mackay's!

skimeister
11-Apr-08, 09:48
I would summise that they have finally admitted defeat in that size of the Tesco's in Thurso IS too small for what they actually wanted.

My suspicions regarding their intentions are founded then as they got their foot in the door taking over from Somerfields and can now expand as their original intent.

Personally I would prefer Sainsbury's to give Tescos a run for the prices

riggerboy
11-Apr-08, 09:52
Where do you buy your petrol? Fuel is 5p a litre cheaper in Wick than in Thurso.

I can travel to Wick from Thurso and fill a full tank, shop in the new stores in ick and still be quids in rather than buying fuel in Thurso. And I get a change of coffee shop or a super lunch at Mackay's!

even at 5p per litre thats about 22.5p per gallon, say your car tank is about 12 gallon that equates to a saving of £2.70 per 12 gallon, giving your car does 40 miles to the gallon, you are using 1 gallon to go to tesco and back if you live in thurso, that means you have spent about £4.86 (the price of a gallon of petrol )to do a round trip, remove your £2.70 saving leaving you in a deficite of £2.16,
in other words it cost you £2.16 to go to tesco to fill up your tank ???
then of course you go in to tesco to get your weekly shopping and over spend by vast amounts buying all the things you wanted and also all the stuff you didnt want,
work out how much you used to spend on the weekly shop before the £100 loaf shop arrived to what you spend now,

do the math to suit your car, remember your car doesnt do 100 mile to the gallon

bekisman
11-Apr-08, 11:48
Had a couple of Pm's - the reason I went to the 'horses mouth' was that Bobinovitch, who was the first to discover that Millers had sold to Tesco (27-Mar-08, 13:36) quote Bob: "Sorry for being the bringer of bad news folks but I have it, from a very reliable source, that the mart site has been bought from Miller Developments by TESCO"
Which was followed by Big A (27-Mar-08, 14:02): " What Source ? Miller Group have this site listed as for sale as at 14.00 hrs today."
So what was the truth?..

Still like to know what retail outlets are going up over at Wick though, and Riggerboy - think it's down to choice, and not lining the pockets of the rip-off merchants who took me to the cleaners for years before the likes of Tesco came and 'forced' the cost of fuel down to a realistic level. We're out west but still go via Thurso to Wick. Don't forget; "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." and "in July, 2005 all the garages [in Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices".
Yet they are still in business; strange that 'aint it?

Cattach
11-Apr-08, 12:22
even at 5p per litre thats about 22.5p per gallon, say your car tank is about 12 gallon that equates to a saving of £2.70 per 12 gallon, giving your car does 40 miles to the gallon, you are using 1 gallon to go to tesco and back if you live in thurso, that means you have spent about £4.86 (the price of a gallon of petrol )to do a round trip, remove your £2.70 saving leaving you in a deficite of £2.16,
in other words it cost you £2.16 to go to tesco to fill up your tank ???
then of course you go in to tesco to get your weekly shopping and over spend by vast amounts buying all the things you wanted and also all the stuff you didnt want,
work out how much you used to spend on the weekly shop before the £100 loaf shop arrived to what you spend now,

do the math to suit your car, remember your car doesnt do 100 mile to the gallon

I have never heard of gallons for years and so do all my calculations regarding spending in metric including weights. I can assure you I am quids in when I shop in Wick and I do not overspend or buy things I do not need. That is the sign of a bad shopper.
I buy my petrol and goods with my Mark and Spencers card (pay off every month) and get poins and so vouchers and I give my Yesco card and get points and conqeuently vouchers to spend. Car insurance with Tesco paid by Marks card - lots of points.
I could teach you a thing about saving money - must go cannot leave this computer on too long and no standby!!!

riggerboy
11-Apr-08, 13:07
I have never heard of gallons for years and so do all my calculations regarding spending in metric including weights. I can assure you I am quids in when I shop in Wick and I do not overspend or buy things I do not need. That is the sign of a bad shopper.
I buy my petrol and goods with my Mark and Spencers card (pay off every month) and get poins and so vouchers and I give my Yesco card and get points and conqeuently vouchers to spend. Car insurance with Tesco paid by Marks card - lots of points.
I could teach you a thing about saving money - must go cannot leave this computer on too long and no standby!!!

glad to hear your are not a spend thrift, but i think you missed my point, you can not save money by going to wick and buying petrol even with the price difference, your car would need to do approximately 25 mile to the litre/ 112.5 mile to the gallon, before any saving would be made,

fingalmacool
11-Apr-08, 13:42
Sod the price difference, we need to go back to petrol because the savings on diesel are not worth extra money unless you do over 40 thousand miles a year etc etc, and please dont give me exact figures, coz i'm not bovvered. Anyway we are missing the point, we have been done up like a kipper, by dark forces in the establishment, oooooh sound familiar? Once again we have to dob our caps and say thankyou to the people in power for taking away our right to have choice, because we are not to be trusted to make the right choice and if Tesco open up at the mart we will all flock to the door as the sheep before us,,,,Baaa Baaa.:(

alfie
11-Apr-08, 14:55
Baaa Baaa................ you are so right 'fingalmacool' or it could go Moo

rfr10
11-Apr-08, 16:05
I'm not going to read through all the replies to this thread but can I just add my comment that after reading the paper today about another big Tesco store planning to be built in Thurso, I think this is totally riduculous as there is already a huge Tesco store in Wick. There is only one big Tesco required in the far north of Scotland for the amount of people living here. Some days, Tesco in Wick have very quiet periods during the days. If the council stupidly allow planning permission for another big Tesco to be built in Thurso, it's going to take away all the custom and business from the Wick store and I'm sure (even though they are a multi-million pound company) they should not be wasting a huge amount of money building another store within 20 miles of an existing one. Totally pointless and I hope they are refused planning permission.

bekisman
11-Apr-08, 16:32
I expect they know what they are doing...

ett23
11-Apr-08, 17:42
OK cards on the table I shop in Tesco but I DO NOT AGREE with Tesco buying the site. What the hell do they need it for? They already have the monopoly in Wick and Thurso. I would have liked ASDA for a bit of competition. Thurso needs a small Enterprise Park with some national shops...not another Tesco.[evil]

Amen! I would far rather have a nice big Asda than a nice big Tesco on my doorstep. Oh well that's Tesco monopoly for you!! :roll:

bekisman
11-Apr-08, 18:33
I'd like an Asda too - (national fuel prices) but...

Tilter
11-Apr-08, 18:40
Personally I would prefer Sainsbury's to give Tescos a run for the prices
I'm with you on that one Skimeister. Who needs another Tescos? Sainsbury's is better than all the other big ones put together.

lexie
11-Apr-08, 18:47
glad another big shop coming... would have preffered Asda... but hey.. if it saves me having to go through to Wick great!:D

Highland lad
11-Apr-08, 19:06
Can we really believe that they are going to build another Tesco? or is it more like they just want the ground to stop Asda, who don't want it anyway.
Asda would have been far better and it would have been built in a good place.
The Thurso Tesco is pretty useless, it does not have half the things you need so you end up having to go to Wick.

bekisman
11-Apr-08, 20:38
Maybe that's why they are building a bigger one in Thurso?

Buttercup
11-Apr-08, 22:05
I think everyone is forgetting the main issue with the Mart site ~ it's a ridiculous place to build a supermarket/filling station. Slap bang between two schools, not forgetting the college, and the traffic problems it would create. Anyone who regularly uses Ormlie Road when the school/college starts and finishes knows it's a nightmare now! Look at the tailbacks in Princes Street going into Sir John's Square! Remember what like it was when the sales were on in the mart!

TBH
11-Apr-08, 22:26
Going on about the Tesco monopoly is pointless unless you stand up and do something about it. Do you want another Tesco superstore in Caithness, is it really needed when an Asda store would help to keep prices reasonable? What are the prices like in Somerfield, Coop? Are they managing to compete with Tesco or are they failing?

2little2late
11-Apr-08, 22:39
Tesco won't build another large store in Thurso. If they do they will shoot themselves in the foot. For a start the population of Caithness is about 28000 and two large Tesco stores twenty miles apart just won't pay. Unless they are going to build a larger store than the one they already have in Thurso but, smaller than the Wick store and still have Tesco direct.

gollach
11-Apr-08, 23:15
I think everyone is forgetting the main issue with the Mart site ~ it's a ridiculous place to build a supermarket/filling station. Slap bang between two schools, not forgetting the college, and the traffic problems it would create. Anyone who regularly uses Ormlie Road when the school/college starts and finishes knows it's a nightmare now! Look at the tailbacks in Princes Street going into Sir John's Square! Remember what like it was when the sales were on in the mart!

So you are saying that, should Tesco get permission to build a store at the mart site, avoid shopping 8.30-9am and 3.30-4pm. Hardly grounds to prevent it becoming a retail site.

Any permission to develop the site could be tied to a requirement to improve the traffic situation, it has been done with other sites further south. A footpath up the left side of Ormlie Road would be a start.

Riffman
12-Apr-08, 02:05
You are forgetting one key fact.

The current thurso Tesco traffic lights are crap.

And the fact that the other 90% of people in Caithness who do not read the org will be quite happy to shop at the new Tesco.

Tesco are easy, have good parking and sell fairly good stuff. Give the people what they want and you will make money.

Bring it on! [lol]

gollach
12-Apr-08, 10:05
You are forgetting one key fact.

The current thurso Tesco traffic lights are crap.
[lol]

I would go further. The current Thurso traffic lights are crap

EDDIE
12-Apr-08, 12:21
i think its disgraceful that tescos is getting to build in thurso they will have the run of the area there is no competition bad for the customer it would be more like sense to allow asda to come to thurso that will make tescos in wick compete all lot better for the customer its a pity the council dont think about things like that

bekisman
12-Apr-08, 12:46
Buttercup:
I don't think they are forgetting, re: the Scottish Ministers decision dated 18th Jan 08 (PPA/270/459)
Para 3.
a) A new footway along the western side of Ormlie Road.
b) Adequate visibility at the site entrance.
c) An off-road footpath/cycle path from the development to the adjoining proposed housing.
d) A bus stop and lay-by on the Ormlie Road directly to the west of the site.
e) Provision for cycle and pedestrian access to the site and for cycle parking.
f) Bus shelters on Ormlie Road.
g) A pedestrian 'Puffin' crossing on Ormlie Road.
h) Road safety improvements at the Lovers Lane and Ormlie Road junction.
j) A microprocessor Optimised Vehicle Actuation Signal Control System installation at the existing Sir Georges Street/Traill Street A9 (T) Sinclair Street 4-arm signalised junction..

This is just from the initial report, so the access system will obviously be looked into..

It's a bit odd that when it transpired that we might get an Asda at Pennyland there were thousands of folk signing a petition, then thanks to Messrs Saxon, Mackay and Jackson who started the ball rolling by voting (with Smith of course) against the Pennyland site, it resulted in an enquiry.

'it would be more like sense to allow asda to come to thurso' is mentioned on the Org. Who is it who will 'not allow'?. Asda has presumably been out-bid by Tesco, but wait a minute, Millers stated: "While Asda's previous option to buy 5.5 acres of the mart site lapsed in November, we would be happy to reopen talks." - but did they? Bobinovitch also says; who knows, maybe Asda were just not interested in the Mart, giving the green light to Tesco. The point I'm trying to make is that hey, ok Asda 'aint coming but we are still getting a large supermarket with a Filing Station, so really what's the problem?..
For those on the Org who state that Tesco won't build, then the buck stops with the three mentioned above and we [west of the county] end up with nothing and the trek to Wick will continue to the detriment of Thurso.
The Reporters reasoning; "greater harm is likely to Thurso town centre from not allowing a supermarket, because that would not balance or draw any of the trade back that is undoubtedly currently being lost to the Tesco supermarket in Wick" certainly rings true.

Lady In Bed
12-Apr-08, 13:00
I hope they do have a review of their plans. If they carry out all the work on the WEST side of Ormlie Road, they will be tearing up the existing footpath. They should concentrate on the EAST side of Ormlie Road which is where the problem lies. Better still, get off their rear ends and come and look at the site[disgust]

Cattach
12-Apr-08, 13:09
I hope they do have a review of their plans. If they carry out all the work on the WEST side of Ormlie Road, they will be tearing up the existing footpath. They should concentrate on the EAST side of Ormlie Road which is where the problem lies. Better still, get off their rear ends and come and look at the site[disgust]

I have no idea what this obscure posting means. I thought the Mart site was all to the east of Ormlie Road. Please explain.

Cattach
12-Apr-08, 13:11
I'm not going to read through all the replies to this thread but can I just add my comment that after reading the paper today about another big Tesco store planning to be built in Thurso, I think this is totally riduculous as there is already a huge Tesco store in Wick. There is only one big Tesco required in the far north of Scotland for the amount of people living here. Some days, Tesco in Wick have very quiet periods during the days. If the council stupidly allow planning permission for another big Tesco to be built in Thurso, it's going to take away all the custom and business from the Wick store and I'm sure (even though they are a multi-million pound company) they should not be wasting a huge amount of money building another store within 20 miles of an existing one. Totally pointless and I hope they are refused planning permission.

Could always close the Wick store and open an even bigger one in Thurso! Would that satisfy you or are you Weeker?

riggerboy
12-Apr-08, 13:48
Could always close the Wick store and open an even bigger one in Thurso! Would that satisfy you or are you Weeker?
now that makes real economic sense could only come from someone living on the thurso side lol

Boozeburglar
12-Apr-08, 13:53
It would make sense to route the high school pedestrian traffic up the West side of Princess Street/Ormlie Road, from the Miller to the High with a controlled crossing to the Tesco site, if they have an entrance on Ormlie Road, but no other pedestrian walkway up the East side. (With proper railings all the way up the pavement to discourage jaywalking.)

Either that or an enclosed pavement all the way down the East side; anything to keep the kids from meandering across what will be a slightly busier road.

I am presuming the entrance to this new Tesco will be by the station itself?

Will they make a roundabout at the junction of Lover's Lane/Castlegreen Road/Ormlie Road/Princess Street?

I am trying to think of anywhere else I have seen a roundabout with hills in two directions.

:)

Lady In Bed
12-Apr-08, 14:51
I have no idea what this obscure posting means. I thought the Mart site was all to the east of Ormlie Road. Please explain.
It aint rocket science, the mart IS on the east of ormlie Road. They are talking about a new bus stop/layby on the WEST side of ormlie Road. I can see no sense in that. If you can, then feel free to explain why they should rip up a perfectly good walkway.

dragonfly
12-Apr-08, 15:02

think the people who own and live in the Station House may have a few objections to that plan :eek:

on a serious note though, a Tesco's there would be no more of a danger to pedestrians than when it used to be the mart, all those cattle lorries, 4x4's towing trailers all double parked and abandoned where they found a space - it was a nightmare!! and the kids need to be stopped jaywalking in the road in front of cars, they seem to think its there god given right even though theres a huge pavement empty on the other side of the road!!

dunderheed
12-Apr-08, 16:01
Or at least build a pavement on the mart side of Ormlie Road.

and block off the only place the residents can park?? oh yeah they could always just park on the road and block it even more!!

dunderheed
12-Apr-08, 16:06
Going on about the Tesco monopoly is pointless unless you stand up and do something about it. Do you want another Tesco superstore in Caithness, is it really needed when an Asda store would help to keep prices reasonable? What are the prices like in Somerfield, Coop? Are they managing to compete with Tesco or are they failing?

somerfields price match tesco on hundreds of day to day lines

Moi x
12-Apr-08, 16:19
What happened to the idea of building new retail units next to BT?

Moi x

dunderheed
12-Apr-08, 16:29
asda didnt want to build that far round. but as far as i'm aware that is the cooncils preffered site for developement in thurso

cuddlepop
12-Apr-08, 18:10
Tesco will not build another Tesco on this site.
They have purchased The Mart so no one else can.:(

As far as I'm aware they do this quiet a lot.:mad:

nannydip
12-Apr-08, 18:43
Agree with you Cuddlepop, Tescos have sites that have been bought just to stop competition moving in.
Personally I'm not bothered about another supermarket but would not like to see the mart site left undeveloped and become even more of an eyesore.

bekisman
12-Apr-08, 19:14
Cuddlepop: "Tesco will not build another Tesco on this site. They have purchased The Mart so no one else can. As far as I'm aware they do this quiet a lot"

Nannydip; "Tescos have sites that have been bought just to stop competition moving in"

I'm intrigued, please tell me where all these places are that have been purchased by Tesco and they have just 'sat' on them..

cuddlepop
12-Apr-08, 19:22
I cant as its all hearsay i just remember over the years people inquiring about land and its been discovered Tesco have bought it.
Would have to go on a land register to "officially " find out but as it doesnt directly affect my situation then I'll decline.

Now if it was a SEN issue,hold the front page.;)

bekisman
12-Apr-08, 19:36
They don't have a land bank. There is no such thing as a land bank. Tesco is a growing business. Anybody can appreciate that you need to buy land ahead of developing a store. All the land that they have is in some stage of development for a Tesco store, here and around the world

nannydip
12-Apr-08, 19:37
Bekisman sorry I don't know how to post a link, plenty of info if you google Tesco undeveloped sites. There was also a documentry on tv last year showing some of them.

gollach
12-Apr-08, 19:46
and block off the only place the residents can park?? oh yeah they could always just park on the road and block it even more!!

Why would the pavement be in front of the car park spaces? It's surely more sensible to build it behind a parking space? :confused

BIG A
12-Apr-08, 20:18
Tesco will be building i have seen a Plan and know of a Petrol Pump supplier that has a Plan also so they can quote for the supply of Pumps.:D
It will most likely be built by Barr of Ayr.

bekisman
12-Apr-08, 21:03
I know what/who Big A is and fully respect him - if he says it's going to be built; believe him.

webmannie
13-Apr-08, 07:44
I know what/who Big A is and fully respect him - if he says it's going to be built; believe him.

Aha, now there is the wonderful thing about our society, `we don`t have to believe him`(or you). It`s our choice!

He`s not told you that once the New Thurso Tesco`s is built they are demolishing the smaller one and building a Premier Inn

Loch not Lock
13-Apr-08, 08:43
One person to blame for this catastrophic situation - that Graeme (can't bear to mention his surname)
His double voting cost us having an Asda up in Pennyland and has handed the dominance to Tesco Towers.
Send him to Iraq, Afghanistan or Tibet - better still all three.
I challenge him to defend his actions on this forum.[evil]

Loch not Lock
13-Apr-08, 09:33
That gowk of a council leader has cost Caithness millions in trade, hundreds in jobs, tons in pollution as well as an undefineable amount in pleasure and time to locals.
Can my family and I have several votes in the next local election?
If you are wondering how we could send him to all three hellholes - use your imagination![evil]

blackcat
13-Apr-08, 09:54
Now - if he was a Thurso councillor we could dislpay our feelings at the next election. Come to think of it there are councillors on this side of the county that may now wish they had voted for ASDA!

bekisman
13-Apr-08, 10:09
Loch not Lock: "One person to blame for this catastrophic situation - that Graeme (can't bear to mention his surname)"

I think the name you are after LnL is 'Smith', don't forget of course; Saxon, Mackay and Jackson, who, although they have thwarted us getting an Asda have opened themselves up to a Travelodge being plonked on the Pennyland site - well after all that's what it's earmarked for [an Hotel] .
Don't get me wrong I'd most certainly have preferred an Asda; it's cheaper than Tesco and more importantly, has 'National prices' for their fuel, unlike Tesco who're are more or less, 'local'.
But at least it will help stop the migration over to Wick and will bring in the catchment area of us 'out west'.. Some folk think we're too small for a large store; Castle Douglas, a market town of 4,000 people, has a Tesco's superstore of 30,000 sq ft.. In Galashiels, Asda and Tesco Extra recently opened within weeks of each other to serve a population of just 12,000.. Loath em or love em, they are coming..

Loch not Lock
13-Apr-08, 10:34
One person to blame for this catastrophic situation - that Graeme (can't bear to mention his surname)
His double voting cost us having an Asda up in Pennyland and has handed the dominance to Tesco Towers.
Send him to Iraq, Afghanistan or Tibet - better still all three.
I challenge him to defend his actions on this forum.[evil]

He'll be too busy counting his cash to defend his deplorable voting;)

bekisman
13-Apr-08, 11:22
Had a PM from 'south of the Border' asking what the Press Release actually said, so many thanks to the John O Groats Journal:

New twist in Thurso store wars
By Iain Grant
Published: 11 April, 2008
THURSO'S superstore wars have taken a fresh twist with confirmation that Tesco is gearing up to develop the town's derelict auction mart.

The retail giant yesterday completed legal formalities with site owner Miller Developments to establish a 31,000-square-foot supermarket and petrol filling station.
The tie-up follows the success of the Edinburgh-based property developer at a recent public local inquiry.
Its plans for the former United Auctions site were given the nod over a rival scheme by Asda to develop a greenfield site at Pennyland Farm.
In January, inquiry reporter Jill Moody granted Miller outline consent for a supermarket, petrol station and residential development following the eight-day hearing.
A detailed scheme will have to be approved by the Highland Council before any work can start on the site.
It is unclear how the venture will impact on the existing Tesco outlet in the town which opened at the end of last year in the former Somerfield store at Millbank.
The Ormlie Road site has been vacant since the long-established auction mart closed in December 2006. Miller Developments bought it earlier in the year from Elphinstone, which took over the UA Group for £52 million in January 2005.
The speculative purchase has paid off for Miller, which has a track record of regenerating redundant brownfield sites across the country. Director Bruce Lindsay said yesterday: "We are delighted to have secured the future use of the former auction mart site as a much-needed supermarket.
"The existing food stores in Thurso are too small to meet the needs of the local community and, as such, people are travelling farther afield for their food shopping.
"This new store will help retain trade while meeting an acknowledged local demand for quality shopping choice in the area."
Tesco spokesman Doug Wilson said the move makes sense for the firm and for local shoppers.
He said: "We are actively pursuing a development on the site and hope to be in a position to discuss this further with local councillors and the wider Thurso community in the near future in order to deliver the best proposal for our customers.
"Our store in Wick has been a great success and was greatly welcomed by the local community. This acquisition gives us the opportunity to improve the Tesco offer to our existing customers in Thurso."
The mart development was strongly opposed at the planning inquiry by Thurso Community Council. It favoured the Pennyland site and claimed the mart should be ruled out on traffic congestion and road-safety grounds alone.
Yesterday, community council chairman Bob Earnshaw said: "We have never been in favour of the mart site.
"Obviously a detailed planning application will be coming forward and we'll be consulted on that and will take a view on it."

Mr P Cannop
13-Apr-08, 12:18
Tesco will be building i have seen a Plan and know of a Petrol Pump supplier that has a Plan also so they can quote for the supply of Pumps.:D
It will most likely be built by Barr of Ayr.

may we all see this plan ??

BIG A
13-Apr-08, 15:34
may we all see this plan ??
I am sure you will see it when it goes on Public Display and am sure TESCO will have it on Display.

joxville
13-Apr-08, 16:57
This was in the local news down here in England where I live, in today's Sunday Express.

A grandmother has applied for planning permission to bulldoze the luxury home of Tesco boss Sir Terry Leahy because his firm wants to flatten her house.

Tesco’s plans for a new retail complex would mean Dot Reid’s £80,000 end-of-terrace home in Kirkby, near Liverpool, and 72 others being demolished, along with a school.

Even worse for Dot, 58, Tesco’s plans include a huge new stadium for Everton FC – and she is a Liverpool fan. In retaliation, she has drawn up plans to pull down Sir Terry’s £1.6million mansion in leafy Cuffley, Hertfordshire, and turn it into a community garden.

Architects helped her draw up the blueprints and she paid £265 to submit the planning application to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council.

“Here comes Tesco again trying to take over the world,” said Mrs Reid. “We want our voices to be heard. How would Sir Terry like it if his house was flattened?”

Mr P Cannop
13-Apr-08, 19:02
I am sure you will see it when it goes on Public Display and am sure TESCO will have it on Display.

when will tescos planning go to the highland council ??

mr do dar
13-Apr-08, 19:34
hopefully if and when tesco start building in thurso they put a car wash in this time .

Bobinovich
13-Apr-08, 19:35
It would make sense to route the high school pedestrian traffic up the West side of Princess Street/Ormlie Road, from the Miller to the High with a controlled crossing to the Tesco site, if they have an entrance on Ormlie Road, but no other pedestrian walkway up the East side. (With proper railings all the way up the pavement to discourage jaywalking.)

Either that or an enclosed pavement all the way down the East side; anything to keep the kids from meandering across what will be a slightly busier road.

Absolutely

I hope not - it's already a hectic junction at times - I would imagine the entrance will be approx. where it is just now - halfway up Ormlie Road.

Will they make a roundabout at the junction of Lover's Lane/Castlegreen Road/Ormlie Road/Princess Street?

I am trying to think of anywhere else I have seen a roundabout with hills in two directions.

LOL Wick for a start - it's wee roundabout at the end of Bridge Street, top of Martha Terrace & Union Street, and bottom of the hills at Station Road and Cliff Road works well there so something similar should be fine for the Thurso junction. I am aware that Union Street doesn't actually come directly off the roundabout but for all intents and purposes it may as well.

Imagine Thurso having a ROUNDABOUT at last! That would cause consternation for learner drivers [lol].

Actually just had a thought and looked at a closeup of that area. Unfortunately the bottom end of Castlegreen Road is offset from the others so I think either a Barnton-style double-mini-roundabout, or an elongated 8 shape may be necessary. Otherwise a slight re-direction of the bottom of Castlegreen Road may also solve the problem but might require an ingress into the garden at the bottom of that road.

Time will tell...

bish667
14-Apr-08, 13:35
Unless the new Tesco/Asda or whatever doesnt have a higher grade of fuel in their petrol station then there will be no advantage in cheaper petrol to me. So shopping there will be no benefit. Wick's petrol is of no use to me.
But this is another story :lol:

Anyone know why Wick in general doesnt do Super Unleaded?

Murdina Bug
14-Apr-08, 15:37
Absolutely

Imagine Thurso having a ROUNDABOUT at last! That would cause consternation for learner drivers [lol].

It's not the learner's that will have a problem with a roundabout but the folks who have been driving for years yet never leave the county! You can see them in Wick at the Cliff roundabout - stop, look both ways then give way to anything approaching from the left, and ahead, as well as the right side. Not even stuff ON the roundabout but just approaching! Some of them just to be sure, wait until every other junction is clear before making a move.

But that can be a whole other thread!...

badcall
15-Apr-08, 16:31
Tesco will not build another Tesco on this site.
They have purchased The Mart so no one else can.:(

As far as I'm aware they do this quiet a lot.:mad:
Bit like ASDA who swore they were "Locked out of the Mart site because someone already had an option to buy it". Of course it turned out to be ASDA themselves who had the option via their front company. They are all devious when it suits them - ASDA, TESCO, Sainsbury's the lot _ money talks.