PDA

View Full Version : Forsinard station - a query

6greengates
10-Apr-08, 12:40
Dear all,

I am busy researching a new exhibition for the RSPB visitor centre at Forsinard and have already posted queries to the ornithology and literature sections of your excellent website.

In the room where the exhibition will be located there is a set of two point levers, presumably for changing the train tracks so that one train could overtake another on a short section of double track? Any clarification on the use of these levers would be appreciated so that we can correctly interpret them for visitors. Train related stories specific to Forsinard would be of interest. And any images of the room in use as a station building would be very useful indeed.

Many thanks everyone - deadline for feedback is Monday 21 April due to the writing timescales. Please pass the word around, especially to any retired local railwaymen!

Casey
10-Apr-08, 12:58
My friend is on the maintenance team for all remaining mechanical signals in Scotland (and some in England).

I've forwarded your request.

Dear all,

I am busy researching a new exhibition for the RSPB visitor centre at Forsinard and have already posted queries to the ornithology and literature sections of your excellent website.

In the room where the exhibition will be located there is a set of two point levers, presumably for changing the train tracks so that one train could overtake another on a short section of double track? Any clarification on the use of these levers would be appreciated so that we can correctly interpret them for visitors. Train related stories specific to Forsinard would be of interest. And any images of the room in use as a station building would be very useful indeed.

Many thanks everyone - deadline for feedback is Monday 21 April due to the writing timescales. Please pass the word around, especially to any retired local railwaymen!

trinkie
11-Apr-08, 06:54
Could this be kept near the top of the page for a few days - especially over the weekend - whilst folk are busy looking for suitable items ?

Thank you,
Trinkie

trinkie
12-Apr-08, 09:39
I'm bringing this to the top again in the hope that someone will have something to submit.
Surely there is a story or a picture about the Railway.

We have been asked for a Caithness connection input - please search around and see what you can come up with.
Many thanks
Trinkie

bothyman
12-Apr-08, 10:40
The Signal Box ???? is it still there??

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/477556

trinkie
12-Apr-08, 10:48
Hallo Bothyman,

That's a lovely picture - thank you.

If you look at the Lit page, you will see that 6Greengates - who has asked for all this ino- tells us there is a Signal Box there and some levers - do have a look at that thread, perhaps you can add something to it .

PS great name - I bet you have some stories to tell !

Thank you
Trinkie

Gavin
18-Apr-08, 10:29
Dear all,

You've got a PM

Tighsonas4
18-Apr-08, 19:48
forsinard
live next door to a retired p way worker will try and get him at the weekend tony

Tighsonas4
19-Apr-08, 16:56
FORSINARD
at forsinard there was another signal box at the other endd of the siding [for thats what it was]. one was taken down
but it was to stop the train at one end until the other one got into the siding it was mostly used during sheep sales. before stock lorries had come into there own
seems it was common during sheep sales to have a train leaving thurso load with sheep and two steam engines pulling it
the other signal box would be a replica of the one still there
obviously the necessity of points
hope this may be of some help and anything in particular just ask
regards tony