PDA

View Full Version : Apathy over Dounreay Guide

concerned resident
16-Nov-05, 15:44
Apathy over Dounreay guide
(Brief summary from P&J 16-11-05)
Highland Council involving people of the far north in drawing up a guide to future developments at Dounreay.
Only two members of the public attended the consultation meeting in Thurso, and no one turned up in Wick.
It appears that all those who voted for a New power Station, on Caithness Org, didn’t have the energy to get to the meetings, on that nice summers evening, to put their case forward. Or is it that Consultation meetings are now considered a waste of time, as the Decision has already been agreed, and just going through the procedures.
Or nobody has any faith in our representatives on Highland Council doing what the views of the majority of the General Public would like, but just following there party policy’s. What ever the case the good old Council Tax payer will get the Bill.
I find it amazing the lack of interest people have in their local area, Thurso Especially.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-05, 16:09
Apathy is a Caithness word, I'm afraid to say. In my time in Caithness every positive/creative thing I tried to get going was met by laziness and cynics with a total lack of vision or foresight. This is slightly different, however would it be too much to ask people to get away from their computers and up off their sofas? Apparently so. Or maybe not enough was done to make the meeting better known to people?

gleeber
16-Nov-05, 20:15
Im beginning to find the constant mumbling of apathy against the people of Thurso just a wee bit tedious. I am not apathetic nor are many of the people I am in contact with on a daily basis in Thurso. I am a realist. I am aware how societies work, not only on the surface but below the surface. Apathy is but a small part of that process. There are other factors in the equation. Most of them psychological and beyond the comprehension of the most wise of apathy knockers. If concerned resident is so concerned about the lack of support for his latest bee in the bunnet concern, let him stand up at the Fountain with a loudspeaker and speak until people begin to listen. Perhaps his and pepsis bees in the bunnet are not the same bees other people have.
Have either of you ever considered that?
Cynics and laziness have to be challenged otherwise the person accusing them of apathy are probably the most apathetic of the lot of us. They certainly seem to moan a lot about it.
We live in a democracy. Elected members of our communities spaeak for us. At least they do for me. If I thought I had anything new to help change how things work in a democracy I would stand for election. However, if the reaction to some of the ideas I spout on caithness.org is anything to go by I would be better of being apathetic.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-05, 20:26
Talking loud but saying nothing, gleeber. What rhyming formation you rapping with there? Is it AA BB?

Sairheed
18-Nov-05, 10:22
On the subject of apathy.

Lets not demonstrate it over the question of Highland Council's draft strategy on renewable energy for the Highlands.

To do so will probably give the message that we don't care about the prospect of our landscape being covered with windfarms or other unacceptable environmental blights.

Attend the consultation meeting in Ross Institute, Halkirk on 22 November at 7pm and let them know what your views are.

gleeber
21-Nov-05, 08:17
Talking loud but saying nothing, gleeber. What rhyming formation you rapping with there? Is it AA BB?

Maybe your right and it came across as loud. I apoligise for that. I thought I said quite a lot though.
Whats AA or BB? Although Ive been a member of both organisations with im at a loss to understand the context of your rap question.

scotsboy
21-Nov-05, 08:46
I think Pepsi is trying some practical criticism of your prose.

daviddd
21-Nov-05, 14:33
I think most people accross the country are very sceptical about the extent to which individual views are taken into consideration by the authorities - there's a general feeling of disempowerment, as illustrated by the poor general election turnouts. Having said that I do perceive that we may be better served by our MP's and SMP's here in the far north, both appear to do a good job and offer good support when asked for. Maybe consulations like this Dounreay one should be threaded on here, might get a slightly better response.