PDA

View Full Version : Looking Your Age

Venture
09-Apr-08, 16:51
Do you think you look your age? When you meet someone of similar age that you haven't seen for a long time do you think to yourself they look older or younger than you? Would you say men age quicker than women or vice versa. Should we resort to all the lotions and potions that are on the market as well as cosmetic surgery or just grow old gracefully. If you had a choice what would you improve and why?

Sapphire2803
09-Apr-08, 16:59
This is going to sound vain, but no I don't think I do usually. Although I'd only take a couple of years off. I have days when I look 10 years older and days when I pass a mirror and shock myself because I don't look a day over 29 ;)
I'm 35 btw. I suppose (imo) I look about 32, act about 8 and feel about 80.
That's an average day.
Would I change anything?
Some days, I'd change most of it, watching tv makes that worse, so I tend not to watch tv. Other days, I'm fairly happy with what I've got.
At the moment, I'm thinking of buying a ham slicer, to minimise my butt. Much cheaper than surgery :lol: Failing that, I'll just start cycling again, now that the weather's perking up.

Can't afford surgery, or the lotions and potions for that matter.

Btw. My elbows are looking old, noticed that last evening...

Thumper
09-Apr-08, 17:07
I dont look anywhere near my age.....I look at least 10 years older :( x

Sapphire2803
09-Apr-08, 17:09
Btw. A tip.
Once you get past 30, never look down at a mirror, always make sure it high enough up that you have to look up at it. ;)

As for men, that's difficult, they age differently, don't you think?
On men grey hair is supposed to look distinguished, hmmm.. not sure.
My hubby seems to be working on a Ray Reardon/Dracula look as the years go on and I sometimes call him badger, because of the black and grey hair.
The worst part for him is that he's always been slim, now that he's 39 he has a liitle bit of a belly (hardly worth mentioning) I told him, he just needs more stress, I think I can manage that. :lol:

porshiepoo
09-Apr-08, 17:26
I had a little chuckle at this thread. I actually think I do look my age (36) but I always get told I look much younger. :)
I was visiting my mum last week and I went to a spiritualist church with my mum, sister (younger by 11 months) and both my daughters (17) and a lady there was gobsmacked when she realised that my daughters weren't actually my sisters. God was I chuffed. She insisted I didn't look old enough. lol.
I often get the same comments in town at checkouts etc when the girls call me mum, and a few pwoplw have thought my OH is actually my dad. lol.

Still I suppose it won't last much longer if I keep worshipping the sun.

Tilter
09-Apr-08, 18:26
Do you think you look your age?

Everybody else says I don't. I'm going with everybody else's opinion.

Billy Boy
09-Apr-08, 18:54
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.;)

BRIE
09-Apr-08, 19:32
alot of people tell me I dont look my age, but having a partner thats over 10 years younger than you helps too, people just presume we must be about the same age!

percy toboggan
09-Apr-08, 19:41
I probably look a bit older than my years. I'm not concerned...I'm happy with the way I look...self-esteem was never a problem...

...when I see folk I've not seen in years I realise how well I'm ageing to be honest..with a few exceptions...luckily, most women of my wifes age look much older than her...she has spent fortunes on concoctions over the years and they've paid off....I should have pinched some of 'em.
......truthfully though when I look in the mirror now I see my father staring back at me which is kind of nice....(a poor word, but an apt one)...I look more like him than I look like me with every passing day. His life was shortish....come tomorrow, within a month of where I am now I'd be dead if I'd have been him...I hope I last a lot longer!

karia
09-Apr-08, 19:43
They say you get the face you deserve...and I do think that a happy disposition helps.:D

A lot of people I was at school with seem quite old looking to me because they have a grumpy demeanour.

percy toboggan
09-Apr-08, 19:51
They say you get the face you deserve...and I do think that a happy disposition helps.:D

A lot of people I was at school with seem quite old looking to me because they have a grumpy demeanour.

Did many of the kids at school with you have a grumpy demeanour?
...could be a link.

karia
09-Apr-08, 19:57
Did many of the kids at school with you have a grumpy demeanour?
...could be a link.

The fact that I was voted 'Little Miss Sunshine' five years running and not one of the 'grumbleguts' contested me should have been a clue, shouldn't it?;):lol:

cuddlepop
09-Apr-08, 20:41
Depends on whether or not I've had a bad day as a smile can take years off me.:D

karia
09-Apr-08, 20:47
Depends on whether or not I've had a bad day as a smile can years off me.:D

I rest my case!

percy toboggan
09-Apr-08, 22:59
The fact that I was voted 'Little Miss Sunshine' five years running and not one of the 'grumbleguts' contested me should have been a clue, shouldn't it?;):lol:

I'm not sure.
I was hoping for a desultory, dismissive quip rather than a semi-spirited defence.

Incidentally...Little Miss Sunshine ? I've seen the film...it's borderline ghastly. I'm sure you wouldn't follow the American model??

karia
09-Apr-08, 23:06
I'm not sure.
I was hoping for a desultory, dismissive quip rather than a semi-spirited defence.

Incidentally...Little Miss Sunshine ? I've seen the film...it's borderline ghastly. I'm sure you wouldn't follow the American model??

Me too!

Perhaps we've both had too good a day and are feeling benign..I am as worried as you are:eek:

Insults at dawn??!!;)

Jeid
09-Apr-08, 23:15
I just turned 25... I get asked for ID a lot. Not long ago when I was in Tesco the checkout girl thought I looked 17. I don't look my age.

Whitewater
10-Apr-08, 00:32
Serious debate? I won't tell my age, I'm getting rather old, but I do look younger. Unfortunately my body tells me different. If I listened to it I would be at least ten years older than I am, but lookwise I should be perhaps younger. But the realisation comes when you are changing your car. I always had a love for the low seated sports variety, but you know you are getting older when you are looking for something with a higher seat, not too much of a stretch on the legs, wider doors etc. I think my next purchase will probably be a Ford transit Van. I'm not sure how Mrs Whitewater will feel about it, but we will perhaps compromise with a Landrover or some similar vehicle.

Oddquine
10-Apr-08, 00:47
Before I got my bus pass, I used to be asked for one....so I guess that answers that question!

trix
10-Apr-08, 00:48
weel...i dalook ma age.......so all 'e boys tell me :Razz

ha ha - ony jokin...but am a gemini, an these lurvly creatures keep their youthful looks - as a rule....!!

an it probly helps that am really immature for ma age [lol]

Metalattakk
10-Apr-08, 01:49
an it probly helps that am really immature for ma age [lol]

I firmly believe this is a cornerstone of the ageing process. Having a 'youthful outlook' on life is vital, and should be encouraged wholeheartedly.

I myself, am often surprised that people think I am younger than I am. But then, I've only been twenty-eleven for nine years now. ;)

Boozeburglar
10-Apr-08, 02:02
When I see someone I haven't seen for a long time I usually hide.

What is age anyway?

Highland Laddie
10-Apr-08, 02:12
Well proud to say I'm an old fart, don't give a stuff about looks.
as long as I'm showered,shaved and reasonably nicely dressed, that does for me.

What i do have a laugh at though, is the Ladies that are of the mutton era trying to look like the gambolling lambs, sometimes i nearly end up on my knees with laughter. usually quickly followed by a swift kick from the better half, i call her the better half, as that's what she always tells me.

trix
10-Apr-08, 02:29
What is age anyway?

choost maths ma friend...totally irrelevant ;)

Sporran
10-Apr-08, 08:06
Most people seem to think I'm a few years younger than I am. I'm 52, and my profile photo was taken three months short of my 50th birthday. I've never been a sun worshipper, and have always taken good care of my skin. So I have very few wrinkles for my age. I'm also lucky that I have hardly any grey hairs (yet!). I don't dress up as mutton trying to look like lamb, but I'm not a dowdy dresser either.

Of course, some people seem to age more quickly than others, and genetics do play a role. Do men age faster than women? Hmmm - I'd say probably not. But on the other hand, a lot of men have the disadvantage of going bald or partly bald, and that can put years on one's looks. It didn't seem to hurt Sean Connery, though! ;)

mccaugm
10-Apr-08, 09:18
I am 37, there I have said it and I don't care. I think I look closer to 30 than 40 but I am past caring really. I remember feeling devestated turning 30 but now I am happy its no longer an issue. My class mates in college average age is about 19 so that helps in keeping me feeling young. I am also old enough to say that my kids music is just a noise but am happy when my eldest puts tracks on my MP3 player he likes and I agree.:lol:

I remember being at school and having the youngest parents in my year, I just thought everyone else had really old parents. Back then anyone over 30 was ancient.:lol:

Bobinovich
10-Apr-08, 09:48
alot of people tell me I dont look my age, but having a partner thats over 10 years younger than you helps too, people just presume we must be about the same age!

Snap on that Brie - there's 12 years between the two of us. Unfortunately for her people who know how old I am often assume she's older than she is for the same reason [lol]. Can see myself being traded in for a younger model yet!

I'll be 40 later this year but feel much closer to 30, and when I shave I could probably pass for nearer 30 too! I was still being asked for proof of my age when I was 26! I've still got a full head of hair and a mouthful of my own teeth so can't be doing too bad :D

But the realisation comes when you are changing your car. I always had a love for the low seated sports variety, but you know you are getting older when you are looking for something with a higher seat, not too much of a stretch on the legs, wider doors etc.

Ooer, in which case I'm mentally much older 'cos I've done this for my last 2 cars, and have already decided I'm sticking with the formula for my next one! I find it really weird getting in and out of lower cars thesedays!

percy toboggan
10-Apr-08, 16:54
beards age a face, and I have one.
Wrinkles do 'en all...I have plenty of them...
I'm going bald too.... receding from the front with a friar tuck type bald spot on the top of ma heed.
Basically I'm past it.
However, I'm more confident in my skin than I've ever been...am at peace with the world...have no secret longings apart from a move away from Mancunia to somewhere quieter and prettier and perhaps win the lottery.
So...all in all I don't give a toss about owt.
I'm off for a jar or two tonight with my mate Stan and he looks even older than I do ! Two lorry driving comrades of auld - amongst other things...we've had over sixty jobs between us!
The semi-rural boozer which incredibly just fifteen minutes from my door is stuck in a 1950's time warp with the same four or five faces sat around the bar every time we drop in. All goes quiet...for a second or three...
...then they realise it's just them two oldish gadgeys in for a chinwag.
No music...no pool...no fruit machine cack and no young uns making a racket.
I wonder if there are pubs like this in Caithness?

Liz
10-Apr-08, 17:30
When I look in the mirror I think I look quite young for my age.

Then I put my specs on!!:eek: No laser surgery for me!lol

Welcomefamily
10-Apr-08, 17:46
I going to grow old gracefully, I know have more grey hairs than non grey, and at times I feel 100 and at others 16.

Moira
10-Apr-08, 19:49
Do you think you look your age? When you meet someone of similar age...........?

So many questions, Venture and so little time! I do so hope I look my age - every line & wrinkle I possess was hard-won, which is why I decided to abandon my idea to sue the "Olay" cosmetic company. ;)

When I look in the mirror I think I look quite young for my age.
Then I put my specs on!! No laser surgery for me!lol

I'm with you on this Liz, depending on the light of course! I usually give myself palpitations if I forget to take my glasses off before I turn my make-up mirror round to the magnifying side. :eek:

karia
10-Apr-08, 19:53
So many questions, Venture and so little time! I do so hope I look my age - every line & wrinkle I possess was hard-won, which is why I decided to abandon my idea to sue the "Olay" cosmetic company

Quite right Moira..I don't understand folks who hate their 'laughter lines' what is so wrong with a sign of life enjoyed?!:)

cuddlepop
10-Apr-08, 20:18
My skin has alwas been oily and had really bad acne for years now in my fortys and I've no frown lines only an oil slick on my forehead.:lol:

My mum was determined never to grow up and indeed many a time she embarrassed us with her antics.She never once looked her age.:D

squidge
10-Apr-08, 22:10
Im 44 but usually pass for 36 on a good day - I dont and have never smoked and dont sunbathe or do sunbeds

Oh... and im a fat lady:lol: and i guess a well stuffed cushion doesnt crumple...

I see people i was at school with and they look much older than me but most of them were or are still smokers - puts YEARS on you

percy toboggan
10-Apr-08, 22:20
I see people i was at school with and they look much older than me but most of them were or are still smokers - puts YEARS on you

Aye...it takes years off you en all in many cases.
And fair play to you for admitting to being 'fat'...
no euphemistic dress-ups like 'cuddly' or 'plumpish'.

Sporran
11-Apr-08, 01:27
I forgot to mention that I don't smoke either. Was only stupid enough to try it for a short time when I was 18, and luckily I never got hooked. As squidge so rightly said, it can put years on your looks! There's a woman I work with who is 40, and like me, she has long, straight brown hair, and doesn't need to worry about colouring it yet, either. *But* she is a heavy smoker, and has a lot of deep lines and wrinkles. Folk think she's nearer my age of 52, and that I'm nearer her age of 40. So it really pays to not smoke, in more ways than one!

trix
11-Apr-08, 01:33
hi sporran, iv choost gien up 'e fags - oer a week now...

should keep ma complexion lookin lovely for longer....;)

Sporran
11-Apr-08, 05:52
That's great, trix - I'm proud o' ye, lass! Keep up the good work! :cool:

squidge
11-Apr-08, 17:06
And fair play to you for admitting to being 'fat'...
no euphemistic dress-ups like 'cuddly' or 'plumpish'.

ooh percy - im definitely cuddly too, but plumpish implies Im more bridget Jones than Dawn French and im afraid its the other way around lol

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Apr-08, 17:14
I was in a place that was absolutely bouncing.This chiel came up to me and said "man,ye dance like a 21 year old".So there I'm 21..................

TBH
11-Apr-08, 17:40
I was in a place that was absolutely bouncing.This chiel came up to me and said "man,ye dance like a 21 year old".So there I'm 21..................I take it the kids let you on the bouncy castle?[lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Apr-08, 17:42
I take it the kids let you on the bouncy castle?[lol]

Ach ye caught me oot.They chucked me off cos I was wearing ma shoes.Bummer!!!![lol]

Liz
11-Apr-08, 17:48
I'm with you on this Liz, depending on the light of course! I usually give myself palpitations if I forget to take my glasses off before I turn my make-up mirror round to the magnifying side. :eek:

OMG Magnifying mirrors are evil!!!I avoid them as much as possible.

Errogie
11-Apr-08, 23:08
My face is definitely acquiring a lived in appearance, too much Caithness wind and sun in youth particularly those long days on the loch and riverbank, but I still weigh the same that I did at 20, 40 years on, just under 10 stone and nearly 6 foot. But the big surprise is when I look at myself sideways in the mirror I seem to have lost my backside, the trousers just hang saggily of my arse. Where has it gone, when did this happen. My other half tells me that I used to have quite a pert backside. Can I get silicone implants I already have an air cushion for the car seat?
It's a total mystery!

mccaugm
12-Apr-08, 12:07
My face is definitely acquiring a lived in appearance, too much Caithness wind and sun in youth particularly those long days on the loch and riverbank, but I still weigh the same that I did at 20, 40 years on, just under 10 stone and nearly 6 foot. But the big surprise is when I look at myself sideways in the mirror I seem to have lost my backside, the trousers just hang saggily of my arse. Where has it gone, when did this happen. My other half tells me that I used to have quite a pert backside. Can I get silicone implants I already have an air cushion for the car seat?
It's a total mystery!

Believe me if your willing to pay ,you can get implants, although you can get pants with subtle padding to give you the illusion of your original pert bott. (discovered them available on Ebay) I think everything heads south as we age. So no real point in worrying.

Boozeburglar
12-Apr-08, 13:08
I was in a place that was absolutely bouncing.This chiel came up to me and said "man,ye dance like a 21 year old".So there I'm 21..................

Specifically 21?

I am never so precise with strangers!

:)