PDA

View Full Version : Does the social divide still exist?

cuddlepop
09-Apr-08, 12:38
Well what do you think?

Does the job you do determine which social class you belong to or could you still call yourself working class even if your a doctor because thats where your roots are.

I'm really curious as to what others think as OH never went to a talk last night that he was really looking forward to as it was a different social class that would make him feel uncomfortable.He was a facilities manager but still felt more at ease with his fellow "working class" collegues.

Must admit he's not alone as there's a ladys group that makes me feel the same.(wifes of doctors and lawyers)
Is it an age think too as we're both in our fortys?:confused

percy toboggan
09-Apr-08, 19:47
I love 'taking on' supposedly higher class types in debate.
I'm an oik...no doubt...but a confident oik.
Class is about much more indefinable things like outlook,
morals and application than ever it used to be.
Things like accent, job/career do not matter to the same extent.

Go out and mix with 'em...you strike me as an open, intelligent lady c/pop...you'll do fine...and might open their eyes a bit. Most of them will be fine...you'll never know unless you try. What's to lose?

cuddlepop
09-Apr-08, 20:20
I love 'taking on' supposedly higher class types in debate.
I'm an oik...no doubt...but a confident oik.
Class is about much more indefinable things like outlook,
morals and application than ever it used to be.
Things like accent, job/career do not matter to the same extent.

Go out and mix with 'em...you strike me as an open, intelligent lady c/pop...you'll do fine...and might open their eyes a bit. Most of them will be fine...you'll never know unless you try. What's to lose?

I'm fine when I'm out with one of them for coffee its just when its a group meeting it feels like them and me.
Oh would only go to another "talk" if I go too,he wants someone "normal" to talk to at coffee break,me "normal" I ask you:lol:
I do think you right Percy when you say that your accent ,job/career are less important than they use to be with regards to class.

Torvaig
09-Apr-08, 20:55
I'm fine when I'm out with one of them for coffee its just when its a group meeting it feels like them and me.
Oh would only go to another "talk" if I go too,he wants someone "normal" to talk to at coffee break,me "normal" I ask you:lol:
I do think you right Percy when you say that your accent ,job/career are less important than they use to be with regards to class.

And I agree with you both..... but would like to add that sometimes we can subscribe to perceived class differences by feeling inadequate in some situations just because we lack confidence in ourselves and who we are. We all have our place in life and are necessary to it, no matter background, education, in employment or not.

If you go to a "talk" or similar and get into conversation with others at a coffee break you usually find they are as friendly as you are!
Those who are not can belong to any "class"; one called "ignorant of manners". :lol:

If the subject comes up again just go and enjoy; the meeting will be all the better for having you there as your contribution will be as valid as anyones. You don't have to take part unless you really want to and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how you are received. Don't miss out on something you would enjoy just because you may be imagining an unfriendly reception.

P.S. Just think what the others are being deprived of if you don't go......

cuddlepop
09-Apr-08, 20:58
And I agree with you both..... but would like to add that sometimes we can subscribe to perceived class differences by feeling inadequate in some situations just because we lack confidence in ourselves and who we are. We all have our place in life and are necessary to it, no matter background, education, in employment or not.

If you go to a "talk" or similar and get into conversation with others at a coffee break you usually find they are as friendly as you are!
Those who are not can belong to any "class"; one called "ignorant of manners". :lol:

If the subject comes up again just go and enjoy; the meeting will be all the better for having you there as your contribution will be as valid as anyones. You don't have to take part unless you really want to and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how you are received. Don't miss out on something you would enjoy just because you may be imagining an unfriendly reception.

good advice,thank you Torvaig.
Like you say good manners have no social divide.:D

karia
09-Apr-08, 22:08
I am happily working class.....I like the values!

Confidence is at the heart of how you 'fit in'..... from Percy's bolshie oik'
( scuse percy!) to dropping in 'Gordonstoun' or other private Education establishments to provide you with a socially venerated backdrop to any discussion and to heck with real argument.:roll:

You are as socially comfortable as you feel.....I would be happy to hold even the highest discourse with you as my companion Cuddlepop!:D

lady penelope
10-Apr-08, 14:14
This is a very interesting question, I don't consider myself any class. My gran was a snob, all fur coat and no knickers type and was brought up in a very posh part of Glasgow, whereas my grandpa wasn't. How they ever got together I have no idea, but my gran was so funny about how grand she was, she even had a special phone voice.:D