PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper tips?

floyed
08-Apr-08, 17:20
Good evening all:D

I am taking wallpaper off and it is proving very difficult, was wondering if anyone has any tips to make it easier thanks??

I am having a 5 min break have been at it for 45 mins and dont seem to be getting anywhere[evil]

Boozeburglar
08-Apr-08, 17:21
Steamer.

You can gone for less than £20, makes it an easy job, and you do much less damage to the plaster or board, or whatever.

Argos has one in stock!

:)

Ricco
08-Apr-08, 17:22
Get yourself a steamer. We got a Bosch one and it works like magic. You can run your stripper blade up behind the steamer and peel off great long strips when you get the 'hang' of it. (couldn't resist the pun)

wifie
08-Apr-08, 17:23
Just the usual stuff - score it with something fairly sharp like the edge of your scraper (carefully though) and then get some warm soapy water on it with a sponge but not too much - leave it to soak in. Used an electric steamer once on some woodchip (previous incumbent not my choice) - it worked great but was a hot job as it was a small area and only one wee window!

floyed
08-Apr-08, 17:30
Dont want to get a steamer as i would never use it again, all my other rooms with walls are painted except this one.

Will try scoring the wall see if that makes it easier.

Thank you for your replies:)

floyed
08-Apr-08, 17:32
Get yourself a steamer. We got a Bosch one and it works like magic. You can run your stripper blade up behind the steamer and peel off great long strips when you get the 'hang' of it. (couldn't resist the pun)

Very good lol:lol:

ronald.val
08-Apr-08, 17:39
Depends what kind of wallpaper is on the walls. If its vinyl then the top layer should peel of and then you can soak and scrape the underlayer.
If its washable type then try rubbing with rough sandpaper before you soak it well with sponge and warm water. I always put a spot of washing up liquid into the water and it seems to penetrate the paper better.
If its chipwood then I'm really sorry for you, takes forever! :confused

floyed
08-Apr-08, 17:41
Depends what kind of wallpaper is on the walls. If its vinyl then the top layer should peel of and then you can soak and scrape the underlayer.
If its washable type then try rubbing with rough sandpaper before you soak it well with sponge and warm water. I always put a spot of washing up liquid into the water and it seems to penetrate the paper better.
If its chipwood then I'm really sorry for you, takes forever! :confused

It's the washable type, but seem's to have been stuck down with super glue lol, it is coming off in tiny bits will try the sandpaper thank you:D

Thumper
08-Apr-08, 17:44
I use a spray bottle with some hot water and fairy liquid....works everytime :) x

sharon
08-Apr-08, 17:49
i too use a spray bottle less mess than a sponge :roll: good luck i hate when its really stuck on:( takes for ever!!

ciderally
08-Apr-08, 18:10
I use a spray bottle with some hot water and fairy liquid....works everytime :) x
yep this works a treat....have fun stripping:roll:

newpark
08-Apr-08, 18:22
Steamer or a wet sponge. Use the sponge to drench the wallpaper and you should be able to scrape it off.

Kevin Milkins
08-Apr-08, 18:22
I have a fool proof way of stripping wallpaper that is effortless. Hire a steamer for the wife:lol:

Julia
08-Apr-08, 18:28

I am taking wallpaper off and it is proving very difficult, was wondering if anyone has any tips to make it easier thanks??

I could lend you my steamer if you like?

Boozeburglar
08-Apr-08, 18:44
That is so nice of you Julia, that is what community is all about.

:)

percy toboggan
08-Apr-08, 19:03
A steamer is the only option...using it once or not...lif eis too short to peel off wallpaper inch by inch. They ain't expensive..could you not borrow one?
I have one here but distance might put you off.

percy toboggan
08-Apr-08, 19:05
HURRAH!....for Julia.. a woman of substance...with a steamer ;)

trix
08-Apr-08, 19:16
nice one julia....

floyed...meet julia ;)

karia
08-Apr-08, 20:17
Aye Indeed Julia's a lovely person...

but it's aye best til remember the 'cannibal thread'...:lol:

...stay in touch floyed!;)

dirdyweeker
08-Apr-08, 22:56

THAT is what the org should be more like. Helpful and friendly towards their fellow orgers. Well done Julia!

Good luck floyed

davem
09-Apr-08, 00:44
The other useful thing is a good scraper. Steel - Harris maybe only slightly bendy, works wonders. You can get a scoring tool too 3 toothed wheels in a triangular plastic frame. That; alongside a sponge and hot soapy water is all you need.

floyed
09-Apr-08, 08:04

That is very nice of you Julia, this is what the org is about not the petty squabble's that have been going on. I have pm'd you:D

wifie
09-Apr-08, 11:26
Floyed this is one of those threads where you have to tell us the outcome or I will always be wondering if you managed to de-paper yer walls! Thanking you in advance!

trix
09-Apr-08, 16:32
I will always be wondering if you managed to de-paper yer walls!!

an safely escape julias clutches....:eek::lol:

Sapphire2803
09-Apr-08, 16:48
I would say that one of the most important things to have when you're stripping wallpaper is a helper/accomplice.
Then when it gets really tedious and you're both fed up, you can spend the rest of the evening throwing bits of soggy wallpaper at each other.

Other than that, a good quality scraper and plenty of hot water or a steamer.

Oh... and running shoes, just in case Julia's peckish ;)

Dreamweaver
10-Apr-08, 11:47
Or you could do what my old dad used to do - paper on top of it!! Okay until you start to feel the walls closing in on you [lol]

Highland Laddie
10-Apr-08, 12:16

Yep, get someone in to do it for you.:Razz

floyed
28-May-08, 12:06
I know this thread is old, but i have just got back online after a month of trouble with the computer.

So i thought i would just let you all no the dreaded wall paper is off wooo:lol:
My dinning room is looking great, so thank you to everyone for there advice:)

wifie
28-May-08, 15:20
Phew - I can sleep at nights now! Seriously, glad you got it sorted!

floyed
28-May-08, 18:21
Phew - I can sleep at nights now! Seriously, glad you got it sorted!

LOL!! You must be very tired not sleeping for over a month:lol:

wifie
29-May-08, 00:16
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ................ ;)

George Brims
30-May-08, 01:55
Or you could do what my old dad used to do - paper on top of it!! Okay until you start to feel the walls closing in on you [lol]

Oh that takes me back to something I would rather not remember. When we bought our first flat, just behind Meadowbank stadium in Edinburgh, it had been owned by an elderly lady, and was generally pretty drab. The lounge/kitchen had Anaglypta painted a horrible lime green colour. So, we set out to take it all off. Does anyone remember that old-fashioned wallpaper that was sort of brown with a printed pattern, Paisley or similar, in black? It was usually on just the lower four feet or so of the wall, with a border strip at the top. People used to varnish over it to keep it looking spruce, until the varnish started to hide the pattern, then they would paper over it with some new stuff. Well of the SEVEN layers of paper altogether on the wall, the two inner layers were that stuff. *Shudders*

floyed
30-May-08, 08:17
That must of took ages to get off, i think i got off lightly :lol:

wifie
01-Jun-08, 01:05
Blimey GB bet your room was much more spacious after that!

joxville
01-Jun-08, 01:45
Dont want to get a steamer as i would never use it again, all my other rooms with walls are painted except this one.

Sorry but I couldn't let this one pass-do you have rooms without walls?:D